Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Eat Bum Zen
Jul 19, 2013

*mumbles*
Rated T for Teen

kimbo305 posted:

Switching stances is really weird. It takes a loong time before you can override your other-side instincts in the middle of sparring. I guess it'd be easier coming from arts like TKD that have a lot of stance switching from the get-go.

I pretty much live or die by how effectively I can pump a jab/force my opponent to respect the amount of damage a lead hook can do. It'll be weird initially, but I figure it's been long enough to give me some flexibility in developing good habits. The left shoulder straight up won't tolerate the volume my pillow hands have forced me to put out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
My advice from trying to switch is to spend tons of time on the double ended bag working your reach and weight balance. I initially refused to come off my back foot when jabbing.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax
My advice in that case is to DIE!!

j/k but if you don't start that early you are in a new world of... something.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I'm just starting my sixth month at BJJ. I'm still having fun with it - I'm honestly not sure how I'm doing with it but I've spoken to the head instructor about my progress so far and he says I shouldn't get too hung up on it. Had to miss a couple of classes next week and felt guilty about it, which is definitely a good sign. :D

Anyway, I've been thinking about the self-defence portion of the class lately; can anyone recommend anything that would help me to develop my striking ability? I'm not much of a puncher and never really have been (which is part of why I decided to give BJJ a go in the first place). Reason I ask is a couple of weeks ago I was paired with this guy who's at the same level as me in BJJ, but told me he'd previously done about a decade of karate, so he was able to hit me in the face and give me a black eye. It's convinced me it wouldn't do any harm to try and improve in that area.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Pick up boxing or muay thai for six months? Boxing will make you better faster, but muay thai is more fun

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

wait why is a karate man punching your eyes during bjj

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

you're the reason people chop air and screech like bruce lee whenever i mention jiujitsu

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Wheat Loaf posted:

I'm just starting my sixth month at BJJ. I'm still having fun with it - I'm honestly not sure how I'm doing with it but I've spoken to the head instructor about my progress so far and he says I shouldn't get too hung up on it. Had to miss a couple of classes next week and felt guilty about it, which is definitely a good sign. :D

Anyway, I've been thinking about the self-defence portion of the class lately; can anyone recommend anything that would help me to develop my striking ability? I'm not much of a puncher and never really have been (which is part of why I decided to give BJJ a go in the first place). Reason I ask is a couple of weeks ago I was paired with this guy who's at the same level as me in BJJ, but told me he'd previously done about a decade of karate, so he was able to hit me in the face and give me a black eye. It's convinced me it wouldn't do any harm to try and improve in that area.

What are your goals for striking? If it's purely for self defense purposes, learn to throw clinch elbows:

Here's my logic that punching isn't terribly useful to learn for self defense, built upon Fatherdog's hierarchy of self defense (situational awareness > conflict resolution > middle distance running > striking + grappling > grappling - striking > striking - grappling), which the more that I think about it is the best evidence that Fatherdog is a smart guy and his posts are worth reading even (especially?) when he's calling someone dumb.

This leads me to argue that the correct decision tree for self defense once things have become physical (i.e. when you're already probably hosed), is stuff you already know from BJJ:

1. Sweep from bottom.
2. Stand up.
3. Strip grips.
4. Run.

Certainly it's possible to imagine "I can't run away!" situations, but that's getting into extreme fantasies. If you get into a situation where you're locked in a room with multiple attackers, you've failed so abysmally at situational awareness and conflict resolution that not much is going to help you at this point, except maybe if you're Robbie Lawler, and Robbie Lawler is a naturally gifted striker who has been practicing punching with professional coaches for decades. Now consider also that

1. A worthwhile punch is actually something of an intermediate athletic motion.
2. It's easy to hurt yourself while punching if you do it wrong, especially without gloves.
3. Good punching happens at a range where superior versions of self-defense (running) are available. Kicking happens at a yet longer range.
4. If you're in that rare no-run situation, you'll want to go to your best skills, which will be your BJJ, not your "learned a bit on the side" striking.
5. Anyone is capable of throwing an elbow hard enough to cause significant damage to another person.
6. Elbows can be thrown effectively from almost any position in which you have a free arm.
7. If you're being restrained, you're not at good punching range, but you are at good elbowing range.

The elbows will help you standing, and they'll help you on the ground. They happen at the range where you need them the most.

Now this is not to say "boxing is useless for self defense" or "don't do Muay Thai." If you want to do those things for fun, fuckin' do it. That poo poo is awesome and you'll learn stuff (if you want to learn a striking art, take boxing at a real boxing gym or muay thai). But if your only aim is self defense, just think about elbows.

CommonShore fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Jul 6, 2016

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax
You don't want to cause significant damage when you defend yourself though. A semi-decent boxer who does sparring at the gym can parry/block 90% of the punches a non-trained shmuck will throw at you as long as you see the punch (which will be the overhand right 90% of the time) so you can just block that, snipe his nose with a jab and run away when he can't see poo poo, eyes watering and all, without knocking him out (so he'll land on his head on concrete and perhaps die) or without breaking any of his bones with an elbow...

Just my five cents.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
My friend boxed and escaped a mugging by doing pretty much that. Blocked a punch, left hook and ran off before the guy and his friends knew what happened.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
Please do not get an erection during sparring

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
That's great, everyone, thanks very much. I'll certainly look into some of that. :)

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Ligur posted:

You don't want to cause significant damage when you defend yourself though. A semi-decent boxer who does sparring at the gym can parry/block 90% of the punches a non-trained shmuck will throw at you as long as you see the punch (which will be the overhand right 90% of the time) so you can just block that, snipe his nose with a jab and run away when he can't see poo poo, eyes watering and all, without knocking him out (so he'll land on his head on concrete and perhaps die) or without breaking any of his bones with an elbow...

Just my five cents.

Naw I mostly agree with you. Imo in a self defense situation the strike's goal is to help you through that stand -> escape -> run process.

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

Pick up boxing or muay thai for six months? Boxing will make you better faster, but muay thai is more fun

Teeps seem to be great for self defense. Would certainly knock over the average drunk guy on the street, giving you time to leave.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax

CommonShore posted:

Naw I mostly agree with you. Imo in a self defense situation the strike's goal is to help you through that stand -> escape -> run process.

Something like that. Also helps if you do or have done a lot of, heck, even some light sparring with MMA gloves for that "soft" touch, so you can just tag someone accurately and flee while he's like "wtf ugh that stung, gah I can't see for a second". I've heard not-so-good things about boxers who have not done that getting into brawls and then throwing a punch at somenone like everyone had gloves and helmets -> broken jaws or worse.

I think around 90% (this number seems to come often when I post?) of the serious injuries/deaths, this comes up in this thread regularly once in a while, come from people fighting when drunk, getting punched, falling over, and hitting their heads on some sweet soft asphalt.

Neon Belly posted:

Teeps seem to be great for self defense. Would certainly knock over the average drunk guy on the street, giving you time to leave.

Even better aim it between the knee and the nutsack to the inner thigh, or at the lower hip around the height people have their belts in general (if not gansta who has his belt at knees or no belt), and push. Illegal and/or not worthwhile in the ring (you'll hit the cup too often) but that's a balance point for every one of us - and the non-trained foeman will fly backwards and fall over. Or at least lose his balance for a while so you can run like the wind. Bonus: the kick is so fast and low people probably won't have time to grab your leg , something which drunken people in fisticuffs do almost automagically when faced with clumsy high-ish kick.

I would just never push-kick/teep a drunk who is swinging, again, they'll fly over like a bowling pin with their reduced balance and reflexes, and risk smacking their head to the ground or a hard object, risking serious injury :(

Omglosser
Sep 2, 2007

Palm strikes instead of punches for self defense. Less damage to you more damage to them.

Eat Bum Zen
Jul 19, 2013

*mumbles*
Rated T for Teen
loving dicks, the same seizure that busted up my left arm apparently also gave me an anterior labral tear. Anyone know what the surgery/recovery for that's like? As it stands, my right arm is basically useless. I hope they'll operate only 2 months after we opened up the left one :(

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Eat Bum Zen posted:

loving dicks, the same seizure that busted up my left arm apparently also gave me an anterior labral tear. Anyone know what the surgery/recovery for that's like? As it stands, my right arm is basically useless. I hope they'll operate only 2 months after we opened up the left one :(

I'm kind of imagining you like Deadpool after he tried to punch Colossus twice.

Eat Bum Zen
Jul 19, 2013

*mumbles*
Rated T for Teen

DandyLion posted:

I'm kind of imagining you like Deadpool after he tried to punch Colossus twice.

This would be the 5th surgery so far this year

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Eat Bum Zen posted:

I had a SLAP tear repair surgery last year. It's a 6 month recovery.

Syphilis Fish
Apr 27, 2006

Wheat Loaf posted:

Go to a boxing gym. Box. Go to another boxing gym. Box. That's how you learn how to punch effectively. You don't have to compete or anything, but you do need to spar. Then if you want to kick as well -but for self defense kicks aren't super unless you're really proficient/comfortable and even then situational at best.- train some kickboxing that does leg kicks. In the meantime, continue your BJJ and Judo/wrestling. After about 3-5 years you're proficient until you stop training.

If you now avoid the usual, you should be okay in 'street altercations with drunks'.

Syphilis Fish fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Jul 15, 2016

Eat Bum Zen
Jul 19, 2013

*mumbles*
Rated T for Teen

Mechafunkzilla posted:

I had a SLAP tear repair surgery last year. It's a 6 month recovery.

Mine's on it's way to being full SLAP repair, not quite there yet. But haha, holy gently caress man I hate my luck.

quidditch it and quit it
Oct 11, 2012

Watching Metamoris. EBI was good, this is loving tedious.

FreakyMetalKid
Nov 23, 2003

de la peche posted:

Yeah. EBI got it right. Metamoris is boring.

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k

de la peche posted:

EBI is always good. Little Alex lost though, so it kind of sucked Saturday :(

Keg
Sep 22, 2014

de la peche posted:

Metamoris solved the problem of points tournaments resulting in somebody passing guard and then stalling for 5 minutes to win by implementing a ruleset where one guy sits in the other guy's guard for 20 minutes and then the match ends in a draw.

Keg fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Jul 18, 2016

quidditch it and quit it
Oct 11, 2012

AJ Agazarm has been live streaming the whole thing on his FB page, it's funnier reading the comments than it is watching the fights.

quidditch it and quit it
Oct 11, 2012

Now I'm not so tired (it started at 12am in the UK) here are my more detailed Metamoris thoughts: What a pile of dogshit.

Boring match ups, dull ruleset that doesn't reward passing in any way at all. Polaris had a similar ruleset, but was still good to watch due to the fighters actually still going for the finish.

The commentators actually started chatting about how bad the fights were (and Mackenzie Dern is a terrible loving commentator), that's how bad it was. The old Russian dude and the Japanese guy didn't even bother trying any Jiu-Jitsu at all, so why the gently caress were they on the card?! I guess they struggled getting talent.

The only thing that was moderately interesting was finding out that Ralek can actually do some cool stuff, and isn't just coasting on his family name.

I've watched all the other Metamoris events, but I won't be paying any money to watch any others, even if they've got Boogeyman, Glover, and Tonon involved, because it seems even they can't elevate it to an interesting level. And gently caress, if guys with styles like that can't make it watchable, then it's pointless.

Eat Bum Zen
Jul 19, 2013

*mumbles*
Rated T for Teen
Jesus Christ we had some regional mma last night and one of the fighters from our gym had apparently really, really pissed off some Canadian guy because during their match the Canadian repeatedly slapped on a rear naked choke, held it until our guy was about to tap, and then released it. This was all of the second round. gently caress that looked awful

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

We had that fake road rage into homicide scenario a while back.
Well, this one is probably real. So NMS and all that:
https://www.facebook.com/379907168881721/videos/509969805875456/

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans
Jesus Christ

Serious lesson I learned: if you ever end up kicking someone's rear end, do NOT let them get back in their car.

Omglosser
Sep 2, 2007

I'm gonna go ahead and call fake on that one too. Security cams don't wobble the way people holding them from on high do, they also don't accidentally try to follow the action when it goes off-screen. That and this is almost literally the exact same scene as before.

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

Omglosser posted:

I'm gonna go ahead and call fake on that one too. Security cams don't wobble the way people holding them from on high do, they also don't accidentally try to follow the action when it goes off-screen. That and this is almost literally the exact same scene as before.

It's someone recording the video with their own camera. You can see the physical monitor in the video.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries

kimbo305 posted:

We had that fake road rage into homicide scenario a while back.
Well, this one is probably real. So NMS and all that:
https://www.facebook.com/379907168881721/videos/509969805875456/

If this is real did they catch them? Seems like it's fairly cut and dry with the registration plate and all?

Omglosser
Sep 2, 2007

Neon Belly posted:

It's someone recording the video with their own camera. You can see the physical monitor in the video.

That makes it seem more fake because why were they just randomly standing there filming?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Omglosser posted:

That makes it seem more fake because why were they just randomly standing there filming?

Like why would someone want to film it off the security monitor at the police station (or wherever this was being reviewed) and leak it?

Bangkero
Dec 28, 2005

I baptize thee
not in the name of the father
but in the name of the devil.
The video is real - it happened in Quiapo, Manila, which is pretty ghetto. They have a suspect. Here's an article about how the Editor for Top Gear Philippines falsely accused someone via facebook: http://news.abs-cbn.com/trending/07/27/16/top-gear-sorry-for-identifying-wrong-suspect-in-road-rage

But let's critique their lovely fight - that was painful to watch. I guess as a commuter cyclist, if I'm ever thrust into a fight situation like that I should just pin him to try calm him down or do my best to choke the guy out in case he has a weapon.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Bangkero posted:

The video is real - it happened in Quiapo, Manila, which is pretty ghetto. They have a suspect. Here's an article about how the Editor for Top Gear Philippines falsely accused someone via facebook: http://news.abs-cbn.com/trending/07/27/16/top-gear-sorry-for-identifying-wrong-suspect-in-road-rage

But let's critique their lovely fight - that was painful to watch. I guess as a commuter cyclist, if I'm ever thrust into a fight situation like that I should just pin him to try calm him down or do my best to choke the guy out in case he has a weapon.

As a commuter cyclist you should get back on your bike and ride away in a direction he can't easily follow.

In the example of the video, as soon as the dude got out of his car, the cyclist should have gotten on his bike and rode back down the hill. Shooty man can't follow on foot, and can't do a uturn.

There are just so many things that coulda-shoulda happened before it devolves to a slap fest.

Edit: spelling and typos because phone

The Fool fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Jul 27, 2016

Bangkero
Dec 28, 2005

I baptize thee
not in the name of the father
but in the name of the devil.

The Fool posted:

As a commuter cyclist you should get back on your bike and ride away in a direction he can't easily follow.

In the example of the video, as soon as the dude got out of his car, the cyclist should have gotten on his bike and rode back down the hill. Shooty man can't follow on foot, and can't do a uturn.

There are just so many things that coulda-shoulda happened before it devolves to a slap fest.

Edit: spelling and typos because phone

Yeah, that's definitely the smarter thing to do. I also wouldn't have been conversing that much with the driver or said anything that would make him angry enough to exit his car.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Dude is currently on the run from authorities, though considering the recent government sponsored vigilantism, he should have just claimed the cyclist was a drug dealer and no harm-no foul.

• Locked thread