Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rockopete
Jan 19, 2005

Wafflecopper posted:

I think I've walked to a grand total of one quest battle since discovering that teleport was a thing. Once you take army upkeep into account it's usually much cheaper to teleport rather than have your LL and his stack out of position for several turns instead of conquering poo poo.

You could see it as an extra challenge on higher difficulty levels that doesn't involve artificially boosting enemy stats or economies, and you'd get to fight new and interesting enemies.

dogstile posted:

It seems kind of funny that the guy bitching about $18 for a new army used to be a tabletop player

Mate you've literally spent $100's on armies, shut the gently caress up

yup. also this

Corrode posted:

How long does a full TW campaign take, like 10-15 hours? My cost for TW:W is already like £0.80/hr and I've only played 60 hours, even if I never touch it again that's more cost effective than basically any other media consumption.

the price definitely feels stingy for the video game market but this is loving Warhammer, beautifully rendered in CG, complete with fighting shooting flying magic explosions effects etc and they just added most of an entire race with a flawlessly painted army including massive units, decked out heroes, and unique legendary lords.
Like go back to your kid self who read manuals and bought models and say "ah, it was sixty bucks for the game alone, and now they want seventeen to twenty for an incomplete Beastmen army, what a fuckin ripoff"

Making not just different models but entirely different animation sets to their standard of quality and then doing that again for 10 truly different races--assuming they keep that level of variation--is a massive expenditure of money and effort, and the only reason it is being risked is because of the premodelled set of races and armies built up and fleshed out over decades that has proven popular appeal. I'm ready to spend one to two hundred on this game and its sequels/dlc over the years as payment and to encourage continued support.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yukitsu
Oct 11, 2012

Snow=Yuki
Fox=Kitsune
Snow Fox=Yukitsu, ne?

Angry Lobster posted:

People who played High Elves in tabletop usually were assholes and terrible human beings in general. gently caress them all.

Gee, thanks.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
Won my "Hard Long Campaign" for Empire. It uh... It ended as funny as it always ends.

Kislev hunted down Kholek, He was the last hold out who kept being held off.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

For those who didnt play tabletop:

https://www.games-workshop.com/en-US/Vampire-Counts-Blood-Knights

5 Blood Knights. $100.

https://www.games-workshop.com/en-US/Archaon-Exalted

THIS fucker. $165.

Just for a bit of perspective when people complaing/comment on the tabletop prices. poo poo was ridiculous, and has only gotten more so.

I wanted to link Steamhead Duradin models, but I cant find them as a category on their loving site

Dandywalken fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Jul 15, 2016

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
If Warham figures were a legit basis for comparison then almost every entertainment product in the world would be cheap.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

True. I'm pretty drat confident I could support a coke habit for less than alot of folks spent on Warham.

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?
I've never understood the whole, "This other thing is disfunctional, so you the disfunction in this thing is acceptable," line of reasoning.

Like yeah, just because you have to stab someone for cigarettes in prison doesn't mean it's okay to knife a guy at the convenience store when you get out.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Yeah comparing to Warhammer figures is a bit unfair. But personally while I see the price as being too much for some people, it's fine for me. I mean in the end, with inflation a thing and everything, games need to be getting more expensive, and devs need to extract whatever consumers are willing and able to pay to feed their employees and make new games. I kinda feel like people attach a moral dimension to games pricing sometimes that is a bit silly.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Still a tad on the high end for some infinitely reproducible 1's and 0's in the video game genre and not the overly expensive chunk of plastic genre.

I'll probably pick up the DLC in a big discounted pack instead of getting one half finished race at a time for 18$ a piece.

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Tabletop is really cheap when you compare it to raising a real army.

Yukitsu
Oct 11, 2012

Snow=Yuki
Fox=Kitsune
Snow Fox=Yukitsu, ne?

Kuiperdolin posted:

Tabletop is really cheap when you compare it to raising a real army.

I live in Canada eh, they're pretty much aboot the same price roond here.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
making video game assets is actually hard and expensive work, yo

PoultryHammock
Oct 23, 2011

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Still a tad on the high end for some infinitely reproducible 1's and 0's in the video game genre and not the overly expensive chunk of plastic genre.

I'll probably pick up the DLC in a big discounted pack instead of getting one half finished race at a time for 18$ a piece.

Yeah, I have to agree. At this point, this is the only game I've gotten at release price on steam in around 2-3 years, and the only one I've sunk enough time in, to really say it was worth the cost. That said, for as much as I really enjoy the base game, for almost 20$ I expect something a bit more significant than just another race, and a mini campaign doesn't really mean anything to me. I'll probably just pick up the next bundle that goes on sale next year at this time.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Yukitsu posted:

Gee, thanks.

Sorry, I'll take my medication.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

Angry Lobster posted:

Sorry, I'll take my medication.

no no you were right

it's the elf players that are sick

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

PoultryHammock posted:

Yeah, I have to agree. At this point, this is the only game I've gotten at release price on steam in around 2-3 years, and the only one I've sunk enough time in, to really say it was worth the cost. That said, for as much as I really enjoy the base game, for almost 20$ I expect something a bit more significant than just another race, and a mini campaign doesn't really mean anything to me. I'll probably just pick up the next bundle that goes on sale next year at this time.

Yeah, I've played this one a lot, even replayed some campaigns, but I'd rather wait and get everything in a neat bundle after all the DLC and FLC have completed the races a bit more and they finish adding missing units.

KillerQueen
Jul 13, 2010

I'm going to buy it because I make moderately poor financial choices.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Tiler Kiwi posted:

making video game assets is actually hard and expensive work, yo

On the other hand, they'd get more sales at a lower price without having to worry about shrinking margins due to material costs, since this is completely digital. Other developers also manage to cram plenty of models/animations/content into a reasonable price point, so I'm not sure what's holding CA back. I'll just give them my money instead.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

Zeroisanumber posted:

I didn't realize that Vermintide was that popular. I thought it was just another niche game like Mordheim.

It doesn't have AAA blockbuster numbers, but it sold over half a million copies and had generally strong word of mouth. That's pretty dang good for a self published game by a tiny studio. At least from my own experiences talking to random pubbies in games, alot of the players came in without any background knowledge of Warhammer, but instead just liked the idea of a melee focused Left 4 Dead. It helps that Vermintide did a really good job of making Skaven flavorful and amusing.

I have no idea how Mordheim did, but everything I've heard about it has been super toxic.

Yukitsu posted:

I live in Canada eh, they're pretty much aboot the same price roond here.

I blame dark elves.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Honestly why even play videogames unless you're being paid.

Please follow me at twitch.tv/GamerEcon101

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

I dont know posted:

I have no idea how Mordheim did, but everything I've heard about it has been super toxic.

mordheim bad

Draynar
Apr 22, 2008
With how expensive that game is why didn't people just use cardboard cutouts of armies to play that dumb game.

PoultryHammock
Oct 23, 2011

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Yeah, I've played this one a lot, even replayed some campaigns, but I'd rather wait and get everything in a neat bundle after all the DLC and FLC have completed the races a bit more and they finish adding missing units.

I've never even touched a table top game in my life, and the omitted units I've seen (both Beastdudes and other factions) people post in this thread are way more interesting than what seems to be coming in the Beastmen . I never got around to playing Attila, so Chaos is my only TW horde exposure, and it seems to suck pretty hard stacked against normal city expansion. On top of that, steam sales have taught me to not buy anything on its own, and just wait for bundles.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Vermintide rules. It captured the Warhammer setting so perfectly and the Skaven are great enemies. The characters are solid and their banter/commentary is pitch perfect. On top of all of that, it's just a plain ol' good co-op game.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

Draynar posted:

With how expensive that game is why didn't people just use cardboard cutouts of armies to play that dumb game.

they wouldn't let you play in store/official events without an official army, for one.

Draynar
Apr 22, 2008

Tiler Kiwi posted:

they wouldn't let you play in store/official events without an official army, for one.

This fictional army doesn't exist unless you spend 160 dollars on our plastic toy for adults!

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Draynar posted:

I get the impression that the game itself sucks and people mostly just want to have a pretty princess army of cool painted dudes.

Which I can relate to since dumb cosmetic poo poo in games is totally my jam. Though maybe not to the degree of several hundred/thousand dollars.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010
On the subject of DLC, this was briefly visible on the store page today:

So 7 total planned DLCs, basically, at least for now.

Wood Elves are obvious and bring us up to 4, so really it's just a question of if the last three are all Lord packs or if there's a third DLC race squirreled away in there somewhere.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

Draynar posted:

This fictional army doesn't exist unless you spend 160 dollars on our plastic toy for adults!

my man, you have no idea.

some unoffical tournies were even bigger assholes; you could get docked points if your opponent accused you of having an army that wasn't "lore friendly" or painted/modeled "correctly".

not points in some side contest, points in the actual "playing a series of games to find the best player" contest.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Vargs posted:

On the other hand, they'd get more sales at a lower price without having to worry about shrinking margins due to material costs, since this is completely digital. Other developers also manage to cram plenty of models/animations/content into a reasonable price point, so I'm not sure what's holding CA back. I'll just give them my money instead.

But would selling at $10 let them make double the full price sales? A lot of the people not buying now probably would have waited for sales in any case, and even in those sales the original full price drives what the discount price can be for bargain chasers. They can cut to $10 later as an enticing '50% off' and that might well work out much better for them than charging $10 from the beginning.

I don't really know the answer to those questions, but it's a marketing issue. It's not really about 'the reasonable price'.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Draynar posted:

lol @ getting anything resembling on army on tabletop for $160

The base floor for a lovely-but-technically-exists army was like $400.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

Chomp8645 posted:

lol @ getting anything resembling on army on tabletop for $160

The base floor for a lovely-but-technically-exists army was like $400.

What would the low price for a tournament quality army? The jokes about heroin and coke being cheaper hobbies don''t seem far off.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

madmac posted:

On the subject of DLC, this was briefly visible on the store page today:

So 7 total planned DLCs, basically, at least for now.

Wood Elves are obvious and bring us up to 4, so really it's just a question of if the last three are all Lord packs or if there's a third DLC race squirreled away in there somewhere.

I would guess Khremi would be in and you can add Northern-NotAfrica to the map and slot in a fractured set of Mummies to unify.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

Dandywalken posted:

I wanted to link Steamhead Duradin models, but I cant find them as a category on their loving site

https://www.games-workshop.com/en-US/Hammerers $50 for 10 hammerers
https://www.games-workshop.com/en-US/Dwarf-Warriors $35 for 16 warriors
https://www.games-workshop.com/en-US/Gyrobomber $45 1 gyrobomber
https://www.games-workshop.com/en-US/Dwarf-Cannon $25 1 cannon
https://www.games-workshop.com/en-US/Auric-Runefather-on-Magmadroth $110 Whatever the gently caress this is
https://www.games-workshop.com/en-US/Vulkite-Berserkers $60 10 slayers

Dwarfs Steamhead Duardin are spread between these categories that I could find
Dispossesed
Ironweld Arsenal
Fyreslayers

Not featured anywhere: Thorgrim or Ungrim

A decent sized army could have:
50 warriors (140 dollars with some spares)
20 ranged infantry (70 dollars, again with some spares. Let's call it 35 because we can share between warriors and ranged)
2 artillery pieces (50 dollars)
3 Lords/Heroes (63 dollars)
A gyrocoptor or bomber (45 dollars)
This is $333 dollars, not counting any modeling or painting tools/supplies. For a decent sized (1500 point) army in a single configuration. Actual dwarf players would have about twice this many models to provide for options, so you're looking about $700 plus at least $100 in supplies and paints.
Final price for a serious but not hardcore dwarf player: $500-800 dollars

Kaza42 fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Jul 15, 2016

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Kaza42 posted:

https://www.games-workshop.com/en-US/Hammerers $50 for 10 hammerers
https://www.games-workshop.com/en-US/Dwarf-Warriors $35 for 16 warriors
https://www.games-workshop.com/en-US/Gyrobomber $45 1 gyrobomber
https://www.games-workshop.com/en-US/Dwarf-Cannon $25 1 cannon
https://www.games-workshop.com/en-US/Auric-Runefather-on-Magmadroth $110 Whatever the gently caress this is
https://www.games-workshop.com/en-US/Vulkite-Berserkers $60 10 slayers

Dwarfs Steamhead Duardin are spread between these categories that I could find
Dispossesed
Ironweld Arsenal
Fyreslayers

Not featured anywhere: Thorgrim or Ungrim

A decent sized army could have:
50 warriors (140 dollars with some spares)
20 ranged infantry (70 dollars, again with some spares. Let's call it 35 because we can share between warriors and ranged)
2 artillery pieces (50 dollars)
3 Lords/Heroes (63 dollars)
A gyrocoptor or bomber (45 dollars)
This is $333 dollars, not counting any modeling or painting tools/supplies. For a decent sized (1500 point) army in a single configuration. Actual dwarf players would have about twice this many models to provide for options, so you're looking about $700 plus at least $100 in supplies and paints.
Final price for a serious but not hardcore dwarf player: $500-800 dollars
None of this applies to Age of Sigmar anymore. Who knows what the gently caress's required for that thing. That way only lies madness.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Now THATS a lotta DURADINSSSSSS

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Your gonna need a lot of Ur-gold if you want to play some Age of Sigmar.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

At least you don't have to pay upkeep. Yet.

Yukitsu
Oct 11, 2012

Snow=Yuki
Fox=Kitsune
Snow Fox=Yukitsu, ne?

Fangz posted:

At least you don't have to pay upkeep. Yet.

It's called new editions. Pay it all again when a new rulebook comes out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gejnor
Mar 14, 2005

Fun Shoe
For some reason the hotfix had to eat up almost all my SSD's harddrive space for some reason and i was left with 500 meg and an error message that i'd never seen before, turns out it was literally about to eat up all the remaining space during its write to disk stage. Its odd though because i had around 15 gigs of free space before the patch did its thing, seems to be a temporary usage deal so free space went up after it was done.

Oh and as an aside, i went into "delete old unused games"mode on that SSD, Pillars of Eternity takes 25 gigs :psyduck:

For reference the Witcher 3 with all DLC's takes 45 gigs, but thats a massive open world game with stunning graphics, while i love PoE i just dont understand how you can almost reach 50% of W3 with what is essentially a prettier Baldurs Gate game.

• Locked thread