Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Ak Gara posted:

lol 6800k for a gaming machine. Doesn't the 6700k get higher game fps?
lol 6800k

when overclocked modestly to like 4.2-4.3ghz the 5820k trades blows with or edges out the 6700k thanks to the much larger cache

a 6800k can't overclock nearly as well as a 5820k and 4.2-4.3ghz for the 6800k are more or less golden samples and the IPC gains are almost nothing. this is all made more hilarious that the Haswell-E chips are now considered out of production. for the poo poo cherry on top, the MSRP of the 6800k is 10% higher than the 5820k.

thanks intel :laffo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

The video is great though - Crews is coming from a good place. He most likely got a list from somewhere and just went with the best. Tons of sites like for instance MMO Champ list their "Unicorn" builds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OXf8P8FLz9c

And he got a sweet NZXT - I wish I got that instead of my Corsair now.

Tanreall
Apr 27, 2004

Did I mention I was gay for pirate ducks?

~SMcD

BurritoJustice posted:

Founder's edition GPUs consistently clock higher. 100MHz on average. Pretty amusing considering the amount of "founders just equals overpriced reference" shitfits.

It's funnier that you think it's a good thing since Nvidia kept saying they weren't binning chips for the FE. They're just loving with their customers and their AIB partners if this ends up being true. 60 chips isn't a big enough sample size to make a conclusive statement about it.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.

bigmandan posted:

Okay I got my Zotac 1070 Amp Extreme installed last night and everything is working great... But drat that card is heavy! I need to find a way to support the back end of the card in my tower case as it droops a bit. I have the case on its side for now. Any suggestions?

Lay your tower on it's back!

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Tanreall posted:

It's funnier that you think it's a good thing since Nvidia kept saying they weren't binning chips for the FE. They're just loving with their customers and their AIB partners if this ends up being true. 60 chips isn't a big enough sample size to make a conclusive statement about it.

Could be the opposite - ie. FE cards are using a random sampling of chips but AIBs are hoarding the best ones for the ~*Kingpin Fatality Hall of Fame Lightning*~ Editions.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Tanreall posted:

BurritoJustice is just here to make FaustianQ seem less crazy than he actually is

Tanreall
Apr 27, 2004

Did I mention I was gay for pirate ducks?

~SMcD

repiv posted:

Could be the opposite - ie. FE cards are using a random sampling of chips but AIBs are hoarding the best ones for the ~*Kingpin Fatality Hall of Fame Lightning*~ Editions.

Sure, but that's not what that link is suggesting.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Heralding the return of the world-famous 7870 burnouts...

http://overclocking.guide/download/amd-radeon-rx-480-unlocked-air-bios/

:supaburn:

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Peanut3141 posted:

Thanks for the idea, but this does not appear to be the problem. I reinstalled the 1070, disabled the iGPU in the BIOS, booted into safe mode, ran DDU, uninstalled the HD4600 decide in the device manager, then rebooted and installed the NVidia drivers. Screen went black, tried to boot a few times, then stayed on a black screen.

What is your boot loop like? For me it would black screen on the windows logo and I'd need a hard reset. It's weird because my system presented the same symptoms even to the occassional and unreplicateable artifact in.

Fwiw only disabling the device with igpu drivers installed for the igpu worked for me. Uninstalling would prompt windows to re-download and re-enable. Disabling in my bios didn't do the trick either.

Anyway hope you get it sorted!

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Tanreall posted:

I honestly just think it's amusing :shrug:

Maybe it's schadenfreude from all the aneurysms that the founders edition malarkey caused online. It marks the whole thing coming full circle. FE = binned expensive blower -> literally reference never buy one moron -> it's a binned expensive blower.

Another way of looking at it is that board partners are doing their own internal binning for their higher tier cards (classified, Gaming X, G1 etc), leaving worse chips on average in the lower end models (SC, Armor, windforce).

For reference, I don't think the addition of founders editions is at all a positive. The two tier MSRP system has caused prices to creep up. Getting a card for $30 over MSRP and calling it a steal is the new normal

Beautiful Ninja
Mar 26, 2009

Five time FCW Champion...of my heart.

I wonder if that 'overclocking' BIOS is nothing more than an elaborate troll to get people to disintegrate their RX 480's. And their PC's. And their houses. Jesus Christ that thing would be the thermal apocalypse.

Peanut3141
Oct 30, 2009

Shrimp or Shrimps posted:

What is your boot loop like? For me it would black screen on the windows logo and I'd need a hard reset. It's weird because my system presented the same symptoms even to the occassional and unreplicateable artifact in.

Fwiw only disabling the device with igpu drivers installed for the igpu worked for me. Uninstalling would prompt windows to re-download and re-enable. Disabling in my bios didn't do the trick either.

Anyway hope you get it sorted!

Well, it's changing, which is what disturbs me. It's acting more like a hardware issue than software. This is going to be long, so most people should probably skip it.

When I first got this G1 Gaming 1070, it worked flawlessly. Only time it froze is when I tried to OC too high and then I backed off 50-100 MHz and had no problems. A couple weeks in (it's now almost exactly a month since I purchased it), I'd get random lock ups in XCOM2 and Witcher 3, maybe once a day. Screen freezes, no combination of keys causes it to change. It's just frozen with the last frame and dozens of ~40 pixel square green speckled boxes across the screen. I figured it's new hardware with new drivers, it's somewhat expected. Plus I didn't want to think about an RMA, it was so blazing fast when it worked.

Then the lock ups slowly increased in frequency to the point where I stopped playing XCOM2 in lieu of Witcher 3. It's the more demanding game, mostly because it's a non-optimized shitshow, so it pushed the GPU harder and I'd tend to get more lockups. But occasionally Witcher 3 would give me grief as well. So far a hard reset would always fix the issue, so I chalked it up to buggy drivers getting it into a weird unrecoverable state. Around this time, I updated to the second 1070 driver, with no change in issues for better or worse.

Fast-forward to last night, where I updated to the new drivers (3rd whql for 1070) and continued to play Witcher 3. After an hour or so, the GPU froze with those lovely green artifacts and after a hard reset, I got the BIOS screen and then nothing, proceed directly to another boot. After a few attempts, I find myself in the recovery screen and the only way I could successfully get back into normal Windows mode was to uninstall the NVidia software suite.

Since then I've DDU'd, reinstalled all three driver versions (DDUing in between), disabled the iGPU, changed BIOS primary display to PCI-E instead of Auto. Nothing has worked. Throughout I'm getting weird inconsistent symptoms. I gave up when I was still using the Microsoft Basic Display Adapter and started to get shearing in the displayed image. I'm certainly no expert, but the progressive nature of the failure and the inconsistent symptoms when I try to reproduce the software configuration makes me think hardware failure.

At any rate, it's now at Mailboxes Etc on its way back to Newegg. If I get the replacement and have the same symptoms, it'll be fairly clear it's not hardware and I can go from there. But I sunk 3 hours last night and 2 this morning into diagnosis and I'd rather play indie games for a week or two than continue this fruitless debugging.

I do appreciate the advice, it's just unfortunate that it didn't work.

Peanut3141 fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Jul 15, 2016

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me

BurritoJustice posted:

For reference, I don't think the addition of founders editions is at all a positive. The two tier MSRP system has caused prices to creep up. Getting a card for $30 over MSRP and calling it a steal is the new normal
Pun intended?

I'm guessing the board manufacturers absolutely love the Founder's Edition concept.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Peanut3141 posted:

Well, it's changing, which is what disturbs me. It's acting more like a hardware issue than software. This is going to be long, so most people should probably skip it.

*snip*

At any rate, it's now at Mailboxes Etc on its way back to Newegg. If I get the replacement and have the same symptoms, it'll be fairly clear it's not hardware and I can go from there. But I sunk 3 hours last night and 2 this morning into diagnosis and I'd rather play indie games for a week or two than continue this fruitless debugging.

I do appreciate the advice, it's just unfortunate that it didn't work.

Or it is hardware but not the video card, that's always a fun one.

Peanut3141
Oct 30, 2009

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Or it is hardware but not the video card, that's always a fun one.

Yeah, I'm really hoping that's not the case. The onset of symptoms coincides with the video card fairly well and hardware infant mortality is a thing. The 1070 actually draws less juice than the 7950 it replaced, so I don't think I'm looking at a newly stressed PSU or overdrawn PCI-E slot (*cough* RX480 *cough*). The PSU is an X650 that's only 3 years old, so it's well within warranty and very good quality to begin with.

I tried another x16 PCI-E port and a different PCI-E string from the PSU. I didn't go so far as to try each of the 4 sticks of memory individually or run memtest, but I guess I can do things like that instead of playing games while I wait for the RMA. I'll probably just catch up on LPs, podcasts or actually sleep, though. I will definitely keep my eyes peeled for any signs of instability now that it's been removed from the equation. That's not definitive, but it's something.

Beautiful Ninja
Mar 26, 2009

So it looks like Vega has been confirmed for a 2017 release according to their event today they had in Korea showcasing the RX 460, 470 and some APU's. AMD said that the 460 and 470 should be coming in the upcoming weeks from AIB's, but I don't think they specified a date.

High end GPU prices are going to remain hosed with Nvidia getting at least a solid half year at the top with no competition from AMD.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

Beautiful Ninja posted:

So it looks like Vega has been confirmed for a 2017 release according to their event today they had in Korea showcasing the RX 460, 470 and some APU's.

Hopefully it too doesn't require a polar ice cap to cool.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Beautiful Ninja posted:

So it looks like Vega has been confirmed for a 2017 release according to their event today they had in Korea showcasing the RX 460, 470 and some APU's. AMD said that the 460 and 470 should be coming in the upcoming weeks from AIB's, but I don't think they specified a date.

High end GPU prices are going to remain hosed with Nvidia getting at least a solid half year at the top with no competition from AMD.

The problem with that is that by then the vast majority of people interested in a high end GPU will have already bought a 1070 or 1080, or depending on when Vega releases they might have bought a 1080 Ti. :(

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
I honestly didn't expect it to work, but I actually bought a passive cooler https://www.amazon.com/ARCTIC-Accelero-S3-Graphics-Compatible/dp/B00RVAEI1E/ for my RX 480 without taking any measurements and managed to MacGyver it onto my card and fit the thing in my Mini ITX case:

I had to remove the black plastic frame from it, reverse the long scews and drop the mounting bracket to another slot so the screws would clear the heatpipes in the reversed orientation.

For desktop use the whole system is fanless and 50 watts with the GPU at 30c passive, on Valley Benchmark with a 5% frequency overclock and the fan at inaudible RPMs, it tops out at 64c

Not bad for a $29 cooler and a couple PC fans I had lying around!

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Zero VGS posted:

I honestly didn't expect it to work, but I actually bought a passive cooler https://www.amazon.com/ARCTIC-Accelero-S3-Graphics-Compatible/dp/B00RVAEI1E/ for my RX 480 without taking any measurements and managed to MacGyver it onto my card and fit the thing in my Mini ITX case:

I had to remove the black plastic frame from it, reverse the long scews and drop the mounting bracket to another slot so the screws would clear the heatpipes in the reversed orientation.

For desktop use the whole system is fanless and 50 watts with the GPU at 30c passive, on Valley Benchmark with a 5% frequency overclock and the fan at inaudible RPMs, it tops out at 64c

Not bad for a $29 cooler and a couple PC fans I had lying around!

What case is that? I love that you have two baller passive coolers (that looks like an OG NoFan on the CPU to me), with comically big fans strapped to them. Kinda runs counter to the idea of a passive cooler :p

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

BurritoJustice posted:

What case is that? I love that you have two baller passive coolers (that looks like an OG NoFan on the CPU to me), with comically big fans strapped to them. Kinda runs counter to the idea of a passive cooler :p

The case is a Thermaltake Core V1 Snow Edition with all the panels taken off. Yeah that's an 80w NoFan cooling a 6700k, which I was running fanless under load but when I did the GPU I figured I'd put both my 140mm fans to use.

The CPU is actually still passive up to 70c

I'm not sure what to do about the GPU though, I mean, HWMonitor knows how hot the GPU is, and what RPM the motherboard headers are spinning the fans at (fans and headers are both 4-pin), but I don't know how I can set a fan curve for the motherboard to control a GPU fan. I guess it doesn't matter because they're both inaudible at the default speed. Can the pins on the GPU drive the fan directly if I can an adapter?

Edit: Like will one of these work with my 12v fan? https://www.xsfans.com/4P4P-MINI-SD

I'd still need a custom BIOS to turn off the fan when idle I assume.

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Jul 15, 2016

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

BurritoJustice posted:

It looks like the Thermaltake Core V1 Snow Edition.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

BurritoJustice posted:

Thermaltake Core V1 Snow, with all the panels removed except the bottom. I think the GPU fan was the case's front panel 200mm fan.

e: beaten :v:

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Zero VGS posted:

The case is a Thermaltake Core V1 Snow Edition with all the panels taken off. Yeah that's an 80w NoFan cooling a 6700k, which I was running fanless under load but when I did the GPU I figured I'd put both my 140mm fans to use.

The CPU is actually still passive up to 70c

I'm not sure what to do about the GPU though, I mean, HWMonitor knows how hot the GPU is, and what RPM the motherboard headers are spinning the fans at (fans and headers are both 4-pin), but I don't know how I can set a fan curve for the motherboard to control a GPU fan. I guess it doesn't matter because they're both inaudible at the default speed. Can the pins on the GPU drive the fan directly if I can an adapter?

Edit: Like will one of these work with my 12v fan? https://www.xsfans.com/4P4P-MINI-SD

I'd still need a custom BIOS to turn off the fan when idle I assume.

Actually SpeedFan might be able to do what you need to do, it's a pain to use so here is a tutorial: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1OkBRELqEgM

nerdrum
Aug 17, 2007

where am I

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

The problem with that is that by then the vast majority of people interested in a high end GPU will have already bought a 1070 or 1080, or depending on when Vega releases they might have bought a 1080 Ti. :(

The vast majority of any "Enthusiast" at this point is jumping ship, I've been dealing with getting skull hosed as an AMD share holder for the last 5 years and on the financial side, I honestly do not know if they can take the margin hit on HBM's to price the surplus of r9 fury/nano's well enough to even begin to be a consideration with a 1070 at this point.

R9 Fury's are eating at least 30-40% more watts on average than a Reference 1070, even at above MSRP at $450-$499 the 1070 is still cheaper than the r9 fury and is also about 40% faster in every relevant real world scenario and that's before AIB's have a reason to actually hit the 379 price point. AMD Has to take a hit of at least 12-15% on the wholesale side to price these things competitively against fall ramp up on 1070's and then you're still looking at a $350-$399 price point, which is negligibly cheaper or priced the same as something with a third more performance and a third less heat and power requirements.

Asus is the only AIB to announce a release date for a 480 non ref so far and it's mid august; nVidia is launching with Reference and AIB's in a week from today. It's going to be a blood bath if this thing even remotely matches the performance of a 480.

AMD has lost over a quarter of it's Gross Margin on products since 2013; they're working with literally no marketing spend (cut nearly in half since 2012) and the simply cannot innovate right now with the lack of funding or ability to even get people excited about this poo poo anymore.

I bought a 1070 and I'm dumping my AMD shares on Monday morning.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
Lol why are you comparing AMD Fury to anything? They sold what, a dozen of them?

The ultimate irony to me is that I only bought an RX 480 because of what a good value FreeSync is (the free extra 4GB of ram didn't hurt). If NVidia actually said gently caress it and gave up GSync for FreeSync, I'd chuck AMD and never look back this generation. I'm sure NVidia gets a nice markup on their modules but they're still FPGA so it's not *that* great a markup, right? It's probably more about saving face.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Peanut3141 posted:

. Screen freezes, no combination of keys causes it to change. It's just frozen with the last frame and dozens of ~40 pixel square green speckled boxes across the screen.
After an hour or so, the GPU froze with those lovely green artifacts and after a hard reset

A had a 4870 X2 die on me from VRAM issues. Just purple dots EVERY where. I also had a 8800 GTX throw up artifacts from a bad post supply. A bad PSU can wreak havoc on a system and make it look like something is failing when it's actually something else. Seriously, I thought my $700 8800 GTX was dead, was just a lovely 500w probably going out of 12v spec. Replaced it with a new PSU, card worked fine for like another 4 years.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

Zero VGS posted:

Lol why are you comparing AMD Fury to anything? They sold what, a dozen of them?

The ultimate irony to me is that I only bought an RX 480 because of what a good value FreeSync is (the free extra 4GB of ram didn't hurt). If NVidia actually said gently caress it and gave up GSync for FreeSync, I'd chuck AMD and never look back this generation. I'm sure NVidia gets a nice markup on their modules but they're still FPGA so it's not *that* great a markup, right? It's probably more about saving face.

Even more ironic is that they have less and less reason to do that the more AMD is unable to compete. Wait is that how to use the word irony... I dunno anymore

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Zero VGS posted:

I'm curious about the value of *sync vs just a 144hz IPS monitor and no syncing, figuring that the monitor is so fast I won't see tearing anyway. Freesync being in all sorts of cheap good monitors is AMD's last bright point for sure.

I'm playing fast shooters on a 60hz IPS monitor with a 35ms response time though, so I'm sure whenever i do update it's going to feel like a quantum leap.

Peanut3141
Oct 30, 2009

SlayVus posted:

A had a 4870 X2 die on me from VRAM issues. Just purple dots EVERY where. I also had a 8800 GTX throw up artifacts from a bad post supply. A bad PSU can wreak havoc on a system and make it look like something is failing when it's actually something else. Seriously, I thought my $700 8800 GTX was dead, was just a lovely 500w probably going out of 12v spec. Replaced it with a new PSU, card worked fine for like another 4 years.

Yeah, I get what you and AVLR are saying. I've been in the PC Building thread enough to know that a PSU problem can masquerade as almost anything else. If the symptoms persist after the RMA, I'll replace the PSU. I just thought the video card was a more likely suspect when the PSU is not even halfway through warranty and gets this kind of review from JG: http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story5&reid=169

Even stellar lines can have their lemons, but my money's on the new component.

nerdrum
Aug 17, 2007

where am I

Zero VGS posted:

I'm referencing Fury since it was a "Flagship" device for them, the R390X is looking like its going to be just slightly faster than a 1060 in all synthetic benches leaked so far, not really a glowing review for a card launching at $250 for a founders edition.

https://ycharts.com/companies/AMD/gross_profit_margin

Advanced Micro Devices Gross Profit Margin (Quarterly):32.33% for March 31, 2016

NVIDIA Gross Profit Margin (Quarterly): 57.55% for April 30, 2016

From an investors perspective -- at this point, including into the end of 2017's road map; there is nothing even remotely positive about getting AMD even into the 40's margins; which is where they were previous to 2013. They're taking an absolute loving beating on every single product they're selling from top to bottom.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

nerdrum posted:

I'm referencing Fury since it was a "Flagship" device for them, the R390X is looking like its going to be just slightly faster than a 1060 in all synthetic benches leaked so far, not really a glowing review for a card launching at $250 for a founders edition.

https://ycharts.com/companies/AMD/gross_profit_margin

Advanced Micro Devices Gross Profit Margin (Quarterly):32.33% for March 31, 2016

NVIDIA Gross Profit Margin (Quarterly): 57.55% for April 30, 2016

From an investors perspective -- at this point, including into the end of 2017's road map; there is nothing even remotely positive about getting AMD even into the 40's margins; which is where they were previous to 2013. They're taking an absolute loving beating on every single product they're selling from top to bottom.

Wow. It looks like getting into that enterprise compute market has been a home run for nVidia. Good for them!

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

BurritoJustice is just here to make FaustianQ seem less crazy than he actually is

I think you're confusing crazy for being unwilling to defend a dumpster fire release, while hoping/searching for a silver lining.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Actually SpeedFan might be able to do what you need to do, it's a pain to use so here is a tutorial: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1OkBRELqEgM

Afterburner could do it better most likely if you could plug the fan into the card itself.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

FaustianQ posted:

I think you're confusing crazy for being unwilling to defend a dumpster fire release, while hoping/searching for a silver lining.
There is no silver lining in this shitshow. Dehumanize yourself and face to the bloodshed that is everyone somehow buying $300 1060 FEs.

Or just hide in a corner and buy a used card of last generation, why are all these good 980tis going for really cheap, I don't understand

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

There is no silver lining in this shitshow. Dehumanize yourself and face to the bloodshed that is everyone somehow buying $300 1060 FEs.

Or just hide in a corner and buy a used card of last generation, why are all these good 980tis going for really cheap, I don't understand

Used tech is always cheap, people will understandably pay a price premium for new stuff.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

I was checking out what options were available for open-air cooler GTX 1070s under 285mm length, and in a local shop I found this: http://www.kfa2.com/1070exoc.html, which was listed at a slightly lower price than the competition with slightly higher clock rates. I've literally never heard of KFA2, is there anything good or bad to say about them?

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

Twerk from Home posted:

Used tech is always cheap, people will understandably pay a price premium for new stuff.

Used tech should be cheaper then what it is, I mean people are still trying to sell nvidia 770's for close to 200 bucks.

Beautiful Ninja
Mar 26, 2009

NihilCredo posted:

I was checking out what options were available for open-air cooler GTX 1070s under 285mm length, and in a local shop I found this: http://www.kfa2.com/1070exoc.html, which was listed at a slightly lower price than the competition with slightly higher clock rates. I've literally never heard of KFA2, is there anything good or bad to say about them?

They are apparently the same company that produces GALAX cards and those cards are generally well regarded.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

quote:

Some interesting developments.

On 8 May I said that FE was NVIDIA competing with their partners, not just a reference board. I didn't elaborate as I didn't have anything concrete, at best it was a rumour passed on to me.

Lately I've tested +- 60 GTX 1070s and GTX 1080s and I can't say I'm thrilled with the outcome. Basically without fail, FE cards can hold boost speeds of 60-100 MHz higher than customer cards - I've tested Gigabyte G1 Gaming, Gigabyte Xtreme Gamer, MSI Gaming X, EVGA SC, Asus Strix, and FE cards from both Gigabyte and EVGA.

There is a very definite pattern of FE holding speeds significantly faster than customer cards - I'm talking passing GPUPI32B on a FE at speeds that cause a custom card to instantly fail or go into driver recovery.

There's more though, although this needs more testing so take it with a grain of salt. GPUPI1B is consistently around 150ms faster at the same clock speed on FE than G1 Gaming (the only card I've compared it to so far). I saw this completely by accident and it certainly needs more testing.

All in all, from what I've seen, NVIDIA pulled a real #$%^ move by making the FE untouchable by partner cards :/

I forgot to add - 150ms is huge when consecutive runs are varying by under 30ms.

Source: http://www.overclock.net/t/1604713/cb-gtx-1080-which-partner-card-is-the-best/50#post_25337561