Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
thanks alot assbag
Feb 18, 2005

BLUUUUHHHHHH
I hope Zojja feels like a huge piece of poo poo when she finds out that Eir's dead. She pretty much told Eir to go kill herself. Zojja's the worst of all of them imo

MMO writing is bad and the biggest challenge is actually finding good, cool characters you can root for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

thanks alot assbag posted:

I hope Zojja feels like a huge piece of poo poo when she finds out that Eir's dead. She pretty much told Eir to go kill herself. Zojja's the worst of all of them imo

MMO writing is bad and the biggest challenge is actually finding good, cool characters you can root for.

My biggest issue is how you're shoehorned into a role you may or may not like. Although it's understandable, there needs to be the same plot for everyone. But I don't like how it has to be such a big part. I mean, the PC was/is the second in command of a huge military organization on this continent. And has had a pivotal role in destroying two elder dragons. You would think we would have better resources than some ragtag group of random guys who just happened to tag along. I'm actually more annoyed being made the "boss" of this guild without asking than being made commander. The former is much more personal when there's 5 people than leading the Pact.

I think LoTRO did this perfectly - at least when I still played. Now, you can't obviously be a part of the fellowship. But you can be a nameless character that ends up aiding them along the way, even meeting the main characters along the way.

I guess what I'm saying is that I don't want to be a main character in the overall story of Guild Wars 2, or MY story that has been laid out for me. Maybe I would feel differently if the story was better and characters good.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Yeah, lotro did story better than most MMOs. It's like night and day compared with gw2.

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

Azazell0 posted:

You would think we would have better resources than some ragtag group of random guys who just happened to tag along.

Look you can only pull so many airship fleets & armies out of nothing. And since Treesus threw them all into a forest, you have to take what you can get.

But yea as others have said, I'd rather be partied with random NPCs like LA Tour Guide than this gaggle who are universally defined and characterized by "someone I knew died."

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

CLAM DOWN posted:

Yeah, lotro did story better than most MMOs. It's like night and day compared with gw2.

i agree, but it's not really fair to compare a game based on a work that is literally the cornerstone of modern fantasy with some fucks in Seattle talking about teenage angst

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Kessel posted:

i agree, but it's not really fair to compare a game based on a work that is literally the cornerstone of modern fantasy with some fucks in Seattle talking about teenage angst

Colin was a smart man thank you very much

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Kajeesus posted:

that charr from the norn blackout storyline

Those first thirty levels or so of the personal story are so good. Especially this part.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

SlothBear posted:

Those first thirty levels or so of the personal story are so good. Especially this part.

I don't have an asura character, but wasn't there a storyline where the asura player comes from the future or something, where they are an evil overlord who built the steam creatures and tries to take over the world (the infinity ball thingie)

and then ANet decided LOL RETCON IT WAS SCARLET WHO DID ALL THAT

MacBook Air Gamer
May 6, 2007

Here I go, deep type flow.
Jacques Cousteau could never get this low.

Azazell0 posted:

I don't have an asura character, but wasn't there a storyline where the asura player comes from the future or something, where they are an evil overlord who built the steam creatures and tries to take over the world (the infinity ball thingie)

and then ANet decided LOL RETCON IT WAS SCARLET WHO DID ALL THAT

It wasn't Scarlet who did all of that, Scarlet's machines are separate ones from those. I think at most she just reverse-engineered her own Watchwork beings from the steam creatures and the ones she hijacked from DR.

Pesterchum
Nov 8, 2009

clown car to hell choo choo

MacBook Air Gamer posted:

It wasn't Scarlet who did all of that, Scarlet's machines are separate ones from those. I think at most she just reverse-engineered her own Watchwork beings from the steam creatures and the ones she hijacked from DR.

I think some of the scarlet invasion events had those kinds of steam work monsters attacking characters, too. Like all things guild wars, scarlet did it.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

thanks alot assbag posted:

Actually Eir was the worst and I'm glad she died. If anything it's a shame other characters didn't do more to call her out on being poo poo #ZojjaDidNothingWrong

SlothBear posted:

Pretty much all of personal story had way better characters than the Dungeon/LS crew. I actually enjoyed the company of Paul Eiding and Cherry Salad, and even Trahearne's worst offense was being bland as hell.

You find some prototype steam creatures in her lab in Dry Top, but I like your version of the story better so I'll accept it as the truth.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

It's stuff like this makes me want to play GW2 again.

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde
Just play on wednesday, there's no sub

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
Now can we do cool poo poo like this at times that aren't 4am on a weekday?

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Waci posted:

3am but :same:

Orv
May 4, 2011

Kessel posted:

Except nearly every single LotR video game has also had an atrocious plot, so LotRO being good isn't just because it's LotR.

MacBook Air Gamer
May 6, 2007

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/meet-the-new-voice-of-the-male-charr-player-character/

I thought my character sounded different in the last raid wing and now I know why.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/meet-the-new-voice-of-the-male-charr-player-character/

I thought my character sounded different in the last raid wing and now I know why.

Never using a male charr again.

Not because this guy is bad, but cause the old one was loving perfect.

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

I don't know if they're planning the full Dinklage but as of now the original soundbites are all still there.

Ahh, gruff "Retreat!", my old friend, how often have I pressed you to travel a bit quicker over the endless green hills, or give everyone a block against the attack right after it went off and downed 3/5ths of the party? Not enough, buddy, not enough.

check out my Youtube
May 26, 2006

Satan's on my side
and you wanna brawl?
When the Devil comes
you better heed his Quall
If they aren't going to re-record the original soundbites (I could understand not doing all the story stuff) then I can't imagine it won't be jarring come living story season 3 to hear your charr talking with two separate voices.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
How off does the new voice sound? there any examples out there?

MacBook Air Gamer
May 6, 2007

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

How off does the new voice sound? there any examples out there?

The only example is in the Stronghold of the Faithful raid wing. It's different but I have come to appreciate it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YRo57QKMVYc

Orv
May 4, 2011
Too cultured, not bloodthirsty enough.

Servicio en Espanol
Feb 5, 2009
It lacks the ragged edge of incipient violence of the old one, but they seem to still be going for the "furry krogan" vibe.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

A charr officer and a gentleman. The centurion is in :agesilaus:

jjac
Jun 12, 2007

What time is it?!

Not as charring jarring as I thought it'd be.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

The only example is in the Stronghold of the Faithful raid wing. It's different but I have come to appreciate it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YRo57QKMVYc

Yea that doesn't good compared to the old one, old one felt like an actual giant cat thing was growling at you, this one seems to refined.

Like Ron Perlman Beauty and the Beast Versus Disney Beauty and the Beast.

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010
Yea, sounds more like a man than an animal.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
He sounds like he is really struggling to get the same deep growly voice but it's falling short.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

cletus please tell me you recorded todays raid

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

if nobody has a screen shot of dreggon yelling about how much he needed to poo poo RIGHT NOW I'm going to be pretty sad

I forgot to capture it and left the squad, wiping all squad chat

edit - replaced "deleting" with "wiping"

desudrive
Jan 10, 2010

Destroy All Memes

What's the song in the video? I can't place what it's a remix of.

Kitty Fantastico
Nov 26, 2005

desudrive posted:

Marble Madness I'm pretty sure.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Definitely the Marble Madness theme.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Kessel posted:

if nobody has a screen shot of dreggon yelling about how much he needed to poo poo RIGHT NOW I'm going to be pretty sad

:lol:

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

my colon was impacted because we were raiding for so long

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007

Dreggon posted:

Please make this the thread title.

Orv
May 4, 2011

desudrive posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HxAYJdLXgZo

DonVincenzo
Nov 12, 2010

Super Monster
The Absolute Guardian of the Universe
Friend of All Children

Waci posted:

Could be worse, you could actually be at work at 4am when it happens. :smithicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

Dreggon posted:

what is this, pandemonium warden?

• Locked thread