Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Nenonen posted:

Erdogan must be glad that thanks to him Turkey has a free, multifaceted, unrestrained media and that censure, especially of the internet, is frowned upon. Without his liberal media culture legacy it would be hard to fight the army when in exile.

Erdogan stirs the populace into frenzy by placing all the Pokémon Go gyms into military-controlled areas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

snyprmag posted:

I thought the consensus was that Erdogan had de-fanged the military to prevent this very thing from happening? Was everyone just wrong?

Well, presumably yes, they were.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Just so we're clear, you don't just go into a tank and turn the key and drive/shoot

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

snyprmag posted:

I thought the consensus was that Erdogan had de-fanged the military to prevent this very thing from happening? Was everyone just wrong?

I assume that's why the head of the military was one of the people the coup arrested.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Have the past few elections in Turkey been relatively clean? Because, sure, Erdogan's a fucker, but if he's cleanly democratically elected he's still a more legitimate national leader than whatever mystery clique is leading this coup.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Karl Sharks posted:

he's on vacation

no joke

So was Erdogan! :tinfoil:

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

we'll that's about the least subtle way to flip him the finger and make clear the entire western world is against him i can think of short of shooting down his plane

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)

Nenonen posted:

So was Erdogan! :tinfoil:

Has anyone ever seen Brown Moses and Erdogan in the same place at the same time?

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

XyrlocShammypants posted:

Just so we're clear, you don't just go into a tank and turn the key and drive/shoot

Actually I think as far as driving a tank you just get in and drive. I don't even think they have keys. That's why a tank got stolen in Florida in the 90s and went on a rampage. Shooting it however, I don't think just anyone can do that

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Apparently few of them are actually doing that and troops are joining in with the civilians in drunken cheer

Am I stuck in inverted world because this is all too loving weird

Itzena
Aug 2, 2006

Nothing will improve the way things currently are.
Slime TrainerS

Insurrectionist posted:

Next time you should go somewhere with a nice and stable ruthless dictatorship with an iron grip on the populace
Britain's pretty cheap with the pound crashing through the floor since the Brexit vote.

HighwireAct
May 16, 2016

Pozzo's Hat
Read on the Reddit live feed that the military was backing down. Anyone have a source on that?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Ofaloaf posted:

Have the past few elections in Turkey been relatively clean? Because, sure, Erdogan's a fucker, but if he's cleanly democratically elected he's still a more legitimate national leader than whatever mystery clique is leading this coup.

yeah, though he did start a war with the kurds when he didn't get the supermajority he wanted and then called new elections

he's a bad guy but he is a democratically elected bad guy

Eezee
Apr 3, 2011

My double chin turned out to be a huge cyst
If he's willfully violating their constitution as the military is claiming you could argue that the coup is justified, even if he's democratically elected.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Eezee posted:

If he's willfully violating their constitution as the military is claiming you could argue that the coup is justified, even if he's democratically elected.

he's not really: he's planning on changing the constitution

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
So, any analysis on how many of those dtreet gatherings are pro-Erdogan, and how many are pro-coup?

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Ofaloaf posted:

no not really

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electoral_fraud_and_violence_during_the_Turkish_general_election,_June_2015

A Pale Horse
Jul 29, 2007

This fresh from Reuters

quote:

A coup attempt in Turkey involves a substantial part of the military and "not just a few colonels", a European Union source monitoring events in the EU candidate country said on Friday.

"It looks like a relatively well orchestrated coup by a substantial body of the military, not just a few colonels," the source told Reuters.

"They’ve got control of the airports and are expecting control over the TV station imminently," the source said, shortly before state television TRT broadcast a military declaration of martial law.

"They control several strategic points in Istanbul. Given the scale of the operation, it is difficult to imagine they will stop short of prevailing," the source said.

Another European diplomat said he was attending a dinner with the Turkish ambassador in a European capital when they were interrupted by messages on their mobile phones.

"This is clearly not some tinpot little coup. The Turkish ambassador was clearly shocked and is taking it very seriously," the diplomat told Reuters as the dinner party broke up.

(Reporting by Paul Taylor and Alastair Macdonald; Writing by Paul Taylor)

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Well, if the hatch is open, yep, you can.

Driving should be relatively straightforward. Shooting, OTOH, would probably be trickier.

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account
Please tell me there is a flight tracker for Erdogan's plane

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

evilweasel posted:

yeah, though he did start a war with the kurds when he didn't get the supermajority he wanted and then called new elections

He has been arresting opposition politicians, journalist, and critics though, it's not as obvious as stuffing ballot boxes but it's still election rigging

e: hey, I guess he was stuffing ballot boxes and other stuff too

Cat4Tumbleweed
Sep 26, 2015

steinrokkan posted:

So, any analysis on how many of those dtreet gatherings are pro-Erdogan, and how many are pro-coup?

Lots of cheering and whistling whenever military aircraft flies overhead, so I'd wager on the majority being pro-coup.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Liberal_L33t posted:

If anyone was still unsure just HOW irredeemable a piece of poo poo Erdogan is... well, exhibit A would be all of the obvious false-flag terrorist attacks his regime has committed trying to frame the Kurds, which will probably be brought to light quickly now that he's no longer in power.

list them

Karl Sharks
Feb 20, 2008

The Immortal Science of Sharksism-Fininism

evilweasel posted:

[in joementum voice]: you know who else was a democratically elected bad guy?

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Ofaloaf posted:

Erdogan has been systematically dismantling the safeguards in the constitution and effectively establishing himself as a dictator, so gently caress him

Knightsoul
Dec 19, 2008
Several shootings between police vs Army and civilians vs Army in several different turkish cities reported......
Welcome to Civil War!

Captain Stalin
May 11, 2004

Have no fear, the Captain is here!

Elotana posted:

Please tell me there is a flight tracker for Erdogan's plane

Seems he might not have actually been on a plane.

gently caress, between this and pro-regime protests in the streets, this could get mighty ugly.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
Oh to be a Syrian or Iraqi family who came to Turkey because it's stable at least...

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

2016.jpg

HighwireAct
May 16, 2016

Pozzo's Hat
http://www.twitter.com/realDenaldTrump/status/754063737473101824

Jesus

Edit: Twitter account confirmed fake

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

evilweasel posted:

he's not really: he's planning on changing the constitution

There are certain principles of Turkish constitution that are held as sacred by traditionalists. I mean, technically I guess it would be possible for the Bill of Rights of the USA to be revoked, but I'm sure it would cause an uprising and an upswell of support for anti-government forces.

az
Dec 2, 2005

comedy account

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY

realDenaldTrump

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

There's enough to dislike about Erdogan without hunting for an imaginary agenda to institute Sharia law and declare himself Caliph

Longpig Bard
Dec 29, 2004

Yes, Donald, I was just thinking we might coup you if you win.

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

I lust in my heart for as many dead refugees as possible.
Both CHP and MHP are condemning the coup. I don't think it can progress any more.

http://www.hurriyetdailynews.com/Default.aspx?pageID=238&nID=101670&NewsCatID=341

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

That's a fake account. ("Denald")Still, ouch.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Erdo-where to land

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Knightsoul posted:

Several shootings between police vs Army and civilians vs Army in several different turkish cities reported......
Welcome to Civil War!
Did they drive all the way from turkish bumfuck to Istanbul to do this, that's some real loving dedication to transforming your country to the newest daesh capital

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liberal_L33t
Apr 9, 2005

by WE B Boo-ourgeois

Ofaloaf posted:

If he won those elections, he did so on a platform of theocracy, which renders his government de-facto illegitimate even if they supposedly got 60, 75% or whatever of the vote. The modernized citizens of Turkey are under no obligation to allow the drooling fundamentalist zombies in the rural areas drag them back into the 16th century because they happen to represent 51% of the vote at one particular moment in time.

The military, as the guardians of constitutional authority, have a duty to prevent governments from infringing on the individual rights of every citizen. Erdogan managing to cobble together 55% of a vote doesn't invalidate or override that guardianship.

• Locked thread