Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

KIIIRRRYYYUUUUU CHAAAANNNNNN

Entenzahn posted:

If every decision that's ever being made by anyone ever across the entire universe creates a new timeline, then there was already going to be a near infinite number of timelines where the nuclear terrorist is dead or under arrest or has never existed in the first place because Fanz Ferdinand wasn't assassinated, and World War I hasn't happened until 1942, at which point it wiped out 90% of the Western European population at the hands of Russian Imperial gas bomber squadrons. If anything, Delta's game has created even more timelines where the nuclear attack suceeded, thus whiping out humanity multiple times over for the sole purpose of creating a single timeline where he could be born. Delta is a selfish rear end in a top hat and/or the plot is dumb.

If they can SHIFT through time and space why don't they shift to a point before their abduction and prevent everything from happening now that they know who Zero is.

Maybe there's a limit to how different the timeline you can shift to can be.

I'm really glad not to talk about the time paradoxes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Ephraim
Feb 22, 2008

That's one way to get ahead in life, but nothing beats an axe to the face.
Was there really any significance for Delta/Zero to kill Gab? I mean come on. It's like they decided "you know who hasn't died so far in the game? The dog. We need to fix that."

Ever Disappointing
May 4, 2004

NextTime000 posted:

yeah, really the Back to the Future story felt more like a red herring to try to inject some form of moral dilemma into shifting.

Akane's story doesn't even make sense in context of the game; her main point revolved around how "M" had no memory of the "Rich Boy M2" life when he returned to the future, meaning there was the rich marty who secretly swapped places with him. Just a little bit later Carlos jumps to the timeline where he just killed Akane in self-defense, and he eventually remembers that. If Akane's story was correct, he would have never remembered any of it at all.

I assumed Carlos made an educated guess.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
I find it weird that they point out that a consciousness can split, such as "the Sigma and Diana who transported" and "the Sigma and Diana who were left behind" but then don't make the argument that perhaps a shift is a convergence of consciousness, where the information is all consistent and so both minds would feel as if nothing had changed aside from suddenly knowing more things. Instead they decide it's a swap and we get a silly moral dilemma way too deep in.

In fact the convergence would be more consistent with what less aware shifters experience, such as when Phi in VLR "just knew" things.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Even if the ends might've been sortof good Delta was clearly an rear end in a top hat who enjoyed seeing people put in horrible situations. I don't think he was necessarily aiming to minimize suffering/death across all timelines.

yellowyams
Jan 15, 2011

Danaru posted:

Without the 75% timeline, there'd be no 0%, only 100%s all the way down

Why? The only relevant thing that seemed to come out of VLR timeline was that it got Sigma and Phi to sign up for the Mars experiment, but was that necessary? Couldn't he have done what Akane did and just gather them himself, considering he has a cult and a small army of super-strong robot children at his control? VLR seemed unnecessary to awaken Sigma's shifting ability as well since he already mentioned instances of it manifesting when he was a child, it should have been activated by the danger+puzzles+choices setup of the games anyway. Timelines pop up when a choice creates a branch, Delta wasn't saving a bunch of timelines from extinction, he just added a bunch more where 75% die.

NRVNQSR posted:

My reading was that he doesn't actually believe in the 0% casualties timeline, not even in the true ending. The 75% casualties timeline is still his plan A, the true end is more of a curiosity which might work.

This makes more sense to me.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Without the VLR timeline there's no Delta. Even if he just kidnapped young Sigma he probably wouldn't have formed the same relationship with Diana as the old Sigma who had already lived with her.

Social Studies 3rd Period
Oct 31, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Lord Ephraim posted:

Was there really any significance for Delta/Zero to kill Gab? I mean come on. It's like they decided "you know who hasn't died so far in the game? The dog. We need to fix that."

I like the theory that Delta shot Gab to force Gab to SHIFT to the payoff timeline.

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

Lord Ephraim posted:

He's an rear end in a top hat. I'm pretty sure that's why. If Delta was my kid, I'm not sure I'd invite him to Thanksgiving.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Lareine posted:

He's an rear end in a top hat. I'm pretty sure that's why. If Delta was my kid, I'm not sure I'd invite him to Thanksgiving.

That makes me think, surely we should be due loads of "happy family with Sigma, Diana, Phi and Delta" fan art by now? I haven't seen any yet.

E: OP comic excepted, obviously.

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

A minor question in the scheme of things. That Fanatic R whatever virus never actually existed, did it?

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Lareine posted:

A minor question in the scheme of things. That Fanatic R whatever virus never actually existed, did it?

Smarter people than me have noticed that "Fanatic Bio R" is an anagram of "Fabrication".

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

It seems to be metaphor for the fanatic who caused a 100% deathrate amongst humans.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

People universally seem to think that Akane's voice actress is dreadful, but I find it interesting she is voiced by Rena Strober, who very recently gave a praised performance as Azura in Fire Emblem Fates.

I wonder what happened?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I thought she was fine.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

like 90% of the bad voice acting comes down to the direction, not really the actor.

also fates doesn't actually have much full voice acting, she mainly just sang

Ever Disappointing
May 4, 2004

Heh voice actor complaints when you could just use the JP voice option :smug:

Having said that, the JP voices never go above "decent", but none of them are bad like English Akane.

The Gentlemieu
Jan 1, 2013
Soiled Meat
If Sigma developed Axelivir in the future, why didn't he write down the recipe and render the threat of radical 6 mute? Or is Axelivir actually just a mixture of that virus that causes 100% fatality?

Also, its mentioned in the twins ending that Akane still has her bracelet on when she leaves and Sigma hypothesizes that she got hit with the amnesia drug on the way out, which is why she doesn't come back. Someone asked about this awhile back, I think.

Also, I choose to believe there is a timeline where Sigma, Diana and the kids get rescued by alt. Carlos and everyone lives happily ever after. I guess the True end version of Akane could go back and get a rescue on after 10 months...

I think Delta had some Mommy issues with the way he mocks Diana after making her push the HF shower button and then neglects to kill her in the route where you learn the quantum computer's access code. There;s a lot of contempt in that voice. Growing up adopted in 20th century Germany can understandingly have some negative repercussions on a kid. Without true blood parents proving German heritage, things can get confusing in war-time.

OgretailFood
Oct 9, 2012

Recommended by 10 out of 10 Aragami

voltcatfish posted:

People universally seem to think that Akane's voice actress is dreadful, but I find it interesting she is voiced by Rena Strober, who very recently gave a praised performance as Azura in Fire Emblem Fates.

I wonder what happened?
Spending a lot of time in the morphogenetic field's gray waves is bad for your health.

I really liked Akane's voice and the one I felt weird was Mira's voice. She wasn't bad just, weird.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

I hate voice actor chat but I liked Akane's voice

I reject any line of thinking that presupposes Delta had free will

Oblivion4568238
Oct 10, 2012

The Inquisition.
What a show.
The Inquisition.
Here. We. Go.
College Slice

The Gentlemieu posted:

If Sigma developed Axelivir in the future, why didn't he write down the recipe and render the threat of radical 6 mute? Or is Axelivir actually just a mixture of that virus that causes 100% fatality?

Axelivir was created from antibodies, so even if the formula was brought back, nobody could produce it until they got a hold of a survivor of Radical-6, and by the time the chaos would have settled enough for that... well, it'd be far too late.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

I like that Carlos thought to send himself back in time to free people from the bunker but Sigma who is apparently the smartest dude ever and has Phds in everything didn't think to send himself back to free the left-behind versions of himself, Diana and his kids.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

carlos sending himself back but never thinking to maybe stop the decision game made him my favorite character instantly

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Carlos just didn't wanna cause a paradox.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
Carlos specifically promised that he'd be back to save those two, and he's a man who keeps his promises.

He just never promised anything about stopping the Decision Game before it started, which is why he didn't think to do it.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Lord Ephraim posted:

I assumed it was so the group had no reason to stay, so they wouldn't feel bad about leaving Gab to die.

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

The Gentlemieu posted:

Also, I choose to believe there is a timeline where Sigma, Diana and the kids get rescued by alt. Carlos and everyone lives happily ever after. I guess the True end version of Akane could go back and get a rescue on after 10 months...

That would be a lot better than thinking that all four of them slowly starved to death. Five if you included Gab.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Don't worry they won't starve to death, Sigma still has that revolver he can use to end the lives of his family without suffering :smith:

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

The Gentlemieu posted:

I think Delta had some Mommy issues with the way he mocks Diana after making her push the HF shower button and then neglects to kill her in the route where you learn the quantum computer's access code. There;s a lot of contempt in that voice. Growing up adopted in 20th century Germany can understandingly have some negative repercussions on a kid. Without true blood parents proving German heritage, things can get confusing in war-time.

It's hard to blame Delta for feeling contempt for his parents who, in trying to send their kids to a safe place to grow up, sent them to loving Germany a decade before the start of World War I

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

U-DO Burger posted:

It's hard to blame Delta for feeling contempt for his parents who, in trying to send their kids to a safe place to grow up, sent them to loving Germany a decade before the start of World War I

But that alien number system is REALLY confusing!

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Also, wasn't it the last point they knew the transporter was before Delta got his hands on it?

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Waffleman_ posted:

Also, wasn't it the last point they knew the transporter was before Delta got his hands on it?

it was a century before Delta got his hands on the transporter.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Yeah, but they didn't know it was that long. Zero told them that it was in Germany in the early 20th century, so that's what they did.

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

So, what the gently caress is up with Delta's eyes? Why are they glowing purple? And how is he so old yet in such good shape? Also, why did the people in 1904 only send Phi? If you're going to be 3D printing mysterious babies into the future, why not do both? Did they just not think of that? Did they just do it with Phi since she was a girl and less valuable?

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

"I'm Jack Frost, ho! Nice to meet ya, hee ho!"

https://twitter.com/Uchikoshi_Eng/status/753874556150878208
https://twitter.com/Uchikoshi_Eng/status/753875441543327744

So, Uchikoshi tweeted about a reddit thread I made to find clues forshadowing Q's identity, and said that the stuff posted was mostly right. :aaaaa:

MegaZeroX fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Jul 16, 2016

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

https://twitter.com/MFMegaZeroX/status/754182960270696448

Well? Did you squee or not?

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Lareine posted:

So, what the gently caress is up with Delta's eyes? Why are they glowing purple? And how is he so old yet in such good shape? Also, why did the people in 1904 only send Phi? If you're going to be 3D printing mysterious babies into the future, why not do both? Did they just not think of that? Did they just do it with Phi since she was a girl and less valuable?

I presume they were raised separately. Otherwise Delta must have known Phi was his sister way before DCOM.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

"I'm Jack Frost, ho! Nice to meet ya, hee ho!"

Yes. And almost choked on a biscuit I was eating. It was painful.

Edit: Also, I forgot that you can embed twitter posts now. I'll update my original post.

MegaZeroX fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Jul 16, 2016

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

ApplesandOranges posted:

I presume they were raised separately. Otherwise Delta must have known Phi was his sister way before DCOM.

I don't know. If I found two mysterious babies named after Greek letters, I would assume they were siblings and would try to raise them together. Then again, I am not from 1904. I guess they just pawned off the babies where they could, not caring if they got to be together or not. I mean, after all, they are babies.

At this point though, I'm really kind of concerned more about Delta's age, combined with good health and freakish glowing purple eyes. Does his mind hack ability make his eyes glow just like how being a SHIFTer makes you turn into blue light?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I'd be more befuddled as to how Phi and Delta kept their names after being sent back in time. It's not like they had name tags on them.

• Locked thread