Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

nickmeister posted:

Such as? And how do you find people to play with?

But it's one of the few with a decent player base.

I suppose that's true but I almost never do random online matches, I play against from this website usually. Or there's others forums and communities to find matches where you can talk with the people you're playing against

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants
That sounds like a lot of work, honestly. I can't pick and choose when I play. I'd like to play some obscure NEOGEO game from 1994 on an obscure online emulator client, but I don't have the time to set up matches like that. I guess I'm just glad I've got a good internet connection and I enjoy SFV.

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.
You can literally hop on Fightcade and play random people from all over the world at most times of day in a ton of old rear end games.

It's not hard.

unless you're boxcar

boxcarhobo
Jun 23, 2005

bebaloorpabopalo posted:

unless you're boxcar

;~;

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

bebaloorpabopalo posted:

You can literally hop on Fightcade and play random people from all over the world at most times of day in a ton of old rear end games.

It's not hard.

Yeah, I don't get the idea that Fightcade is so much effort because I have no difficulty getting matches in Super Turbo at all at basically any time of the day.

like seriously just pick a random bum with an acceptable ping and shoot them a challenge, if that's a step too much for you then lol

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

I got into my car and ate my chalupa with a feeling of accomplishment.
Been having a blast with Xrd even though I am bad at it. Fightcade is also a great way to (very easily) fight people on older games like Super Turbo, 3s or 98, but I haven't been on there much.

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants

bebaloorpabopalo posted:

It's not hard.

unless you're boxcar

lolololol yeah right. well I'll take a look if I want to play some random from Central Africa or whatever.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

why is shingo serving drinks

that's hosed up...

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

nickmeister posted:

I have never used fightcade in my life or bothered to try

Cool man, thanks for sharing.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Setting up fightcade is extremely easy and probably takes less time than it would for SF V to get past the loading screen

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.

nickmeister posted:

lolololol yeah right. well I'll take a look if I want to play some random from Central Africa or whatever.

The connection would probably have less rollback and input lag than playing your neighbor in SF5.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

nickmeister posted:

Such as? And how do you find people to play with?

Guilty Gear, JoJo, MvC3, Melty Blood

I can find JoJo players through fightcade and the Goonsgarden irc and I play MvC3 with whatever scrubs I find online ebcause that is the way you play the true MvC3 experience

I live near Georgia Tech so I can just drive over to it every friday and play Melty and GG with anime fighter nerds if I want to or get my rear end wrecked by bebop in revelator because he seems to always be up for that

Oh also whatever old rear end game Zand likes playing on Fightcade, because it more often than not is COTA or XvSF two of some of the most fun fgs. It's a shame I can't play CvS2 with anyone though, i like that game a lot and even bothered trying to figure out roll cancelling but there's no way to play it with others outisde of anime cons or fighting game tourneys.

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot

Gold Dust Gasoline posted:

I'm going to keep cheating

No consequence could be worse than survival mode

They have no way of knowing you cheated or not. So go wild.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
[quote="nickmeister" post="462141157"
That sounds like a lot of work, honestly. I can't pick and choose when I play. I'd like to play some obscure NEOGEO game from 1994 on an obscure online emulator client, but I don't have the time to set up matches like that. I guess I'm just glad I've got a good internet connection and I enjoy SFV.
[/quote]

If your reason for liking SFV is because you can just press start, then your bar for good video games is pretty loving low.

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot

nickmeister posted:

But it's one of the few with a decent player base.

Lol not for long.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Firstborn posted:

If your reason for liking SFV is because you can just press start, then your bar for good video games is pretty loving low.

something something state of the game industry

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

All you have to do is lurk this thread for a bit to figure this out, but you'll find that the most devoted fighting game fans are the ones criticizing SFV the most.

e: I myself am DEFINITELY not one of them; I'm a bad.

ROFL Octopus fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Jul 16, 2016

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?
"I play SF5 because it's the only game where I can just hop online and play people" has never made any sense to me, do you live in south africa or something?

I can hop onto xrd right now and get into a match with someone in under two minutes. Despite having way more players SF5 actually takes ~longer~ because it has long as hell loading times before/after every game

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

darealkooky posted:

"I play SF5 because it's the only game where I can just hop online and play people" has never made any sense to me, do you live in south africa or something?

I can hop onto xrd right now and get into a match with someone in under two minutes. Despite having way more players SF5 actually takes ~longer~ because it has long as hell loading times before/after every game

Well, South America but I can relate. I need to set up playdates to play Xrd or send a letter of introduction to play online without getting all my matches refused. Melty's the same but I already did that song and dance. The only game where I could get matches consistently was MKX, of all things. There IS something to be said about just opening the game and finding random matches easy.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
I really want to get the newest GG. I've not really played it since XX, though. Is it easy to jump into now? I skipped over Blazblue et al.

\/\/\/ Sounds good, thanks. I hope they put Baiken in.

Firstborn fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Jul 16, 2016

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

Firstborn posted:

I really want to get the newest GG. I've not really played it since XX, though. Is it easy to jump into now? I skipped over Blazblue et al.

it has the best tutorial of any 2d fighting game and it also very specifically took the series back to the XX/reload era in terms of feel and mechanics

as long as you don't fall into the trap of trying to learn combos instead of neutral/setups first and get really annoyed, you should be able to learn it relatively easily

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

tekken 7 FR is being streamed from evo now an its sick as hell. akuma looks like crazy fun

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you
I tried looking up Kenny Omega in the player search for the brackets but I couldn't find him. I'm curious about how that goon did against him in round 1.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Love Stole the Day posted:

I tried looking up Kenny Omega in the player search for the brackets but I couldn't find him. I'm curious about how that goon did against him in round 1.

That was CEO.

He lost.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe

Real hurthling! posted:

tekken 7 FR is being streamed from evo now an its sick as hell. akuma looks like crazy fun

It's got 25k people watching it too. People love them some Tekken

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Firstborn posted:

"If I can pay $10 bucks, fine"? We're talking about loving colors here, man. A lot of games have a bunch of them for free and some even get a color edit. SF4 let us unlock them just by playing the goddamn game. $10 for a bunch of ugly palette swaps in a fighting game is fine. What the gently caress man.

You reminded me of CVS2's color editor. That was cool.

boxcarhobo
Jun 23, 2005

Goetta posted:

It's got 25k people watching it too. People love them some Tekken

THEN WHY DONT THEY PLAY ITTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT ;~;

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

its not out.
Holy poo poo when jack 7 wins a match he beats his chest so fast he falls over and keeps doing it on the ground

how do they get so many different feeds from the ps4 the players are on at these tournaments? they've got monitors for both players, a projector for the crowd, etc. i never tried connecting mine to more than just the tv.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

darealkooky posted:

loving how? I get literally no matches on Xrd even when I set literally no filters, and I live in Texas. Also, I just discovered that Alex shares Ryu's garbage talent for beating jump kicks by briefly jabbing his elbow out at shoulder height, and it looks just as goddamn stupid when he does it as when Ryu does.

Spiritus Nox fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Jul 16, 2016

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
/\/\/\ The sad part is the risk/reward of that AA is all loving off. If you hit, you get a jab, ad a reset opportunity that you could still lose. If you mistime it you'll eat a jump-in combo for 45%. The risk/reward is in your favor to just keep jumping. Also leave Alex alone. :( His AA is pretty bad when he doesn't have a psychic ex knee stampede or a full-screen f.hp

hiddenriverninja posted:

You reminded me of CVS2's color editor. That was cool.

Hell KOF13 had a decent one.

Firstborn fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Jul 16, 2016

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

Spiritus Nox posted:

loving how? I get literally no matches on Xrd even when I set literally no filters, and I live in Texas.

Every single time I check player matches there's multiple rooms open, even at odd times like monday morning.

Is your issue that you play ranked like a fool?

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

srsly who wants to play this lamer?
alex has 4 good anti-airs and i like using his aerial cross-chop whenever i see a ryu/chun/necalli just pressing lights every single time if i jump

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
1.) s.lp
2.) f.hp from full screen or done super early
3.) ex knee stampede
Are you counting c.hp? It kind of sucks in this game outside of hard/cc hit combos... and do you mean d.hp in the air? That beats Ryu's j.lk? :psyduck:
It's weird to go back and play 3S where c.hp was a good button.

e: i didnt mean to sound snarky if i did, i'd love to talk shop about alex

Firstborn fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Jul 16, 2016

CaptCommy
Aug 13, 2012

The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a goat.

darealkooky posted:

Every single time I check player matches there's multiple rooms open, even at odd times like monday morning.

Is your issue that you play ranked like a fool?

He may just be a PC player. I'm assuming it's a lot easier to find poo poo on PS4 than PC these days.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

nobody plays GG ranked except people who don't know that and a couple japanese sharks that use them to practice combos

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

srsly who wants to play this lamer?
I think ryu lk is a problem against all the cast really, but I think his cr.hp is good because it follows up with ex-knee or non-ex knee if it's in the corner, or maybe if it's really close.

His cross-chop can make people think twice about mindlessly pressing lights to anti-air.

The only character I will complain about in this game when it comes to obnoxious jump-ins is cammy. gently caress those divekicks, whatever they're called.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

cannon strike.
its like her only way to get in though. i get a real kick out of watching like tokido and daigo parry them on reaction

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Baal posted:

Guilty Gear, JoJo, MvC3, Melty Blood

I can find JoJo players through fightcade and the Goonsgarden irc and I play MvC3 with whatever scrubs I find online ebcause that is the way you play the true MvC3 experience

I live near Georgia Tech so I can just drive over to it every friday and play Melty and GG with anime fighter nerds if I want to or get my rear end wrecked by bebop in revelator because he seems to always be up for that

Oh also whatever old rear end game Zand likes playing on Fightcade, because it more often than not is COTA or XvSF two of some of the most fun fgs. It's a shame I can't play CvS2 with anyone though, i like that game a lot and even bothered trying to figure out roll cancelling but there's no way to play it with others outisde of anime cons or fighting game tourneys.

You can also play CvS2 at an arcade