Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aghama
Jul 24, 2002

We eat fish, tossed salads
I ordered a Shield during Prime Day. How well does the Plex Media Server work on it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug

Aghama posted:

I ordered a Shield during Prime Day. How well does the Plex Media Server work on it?

Hit or miss right now. Ironically the biggest problem many users have (including myself, when I tried it for fun) is playing media on the same Shield Plex Server is running on - particularly if the media itself is on a NAS. Playback from other Plex clients works well though.

There are some limitations, like no plugin support for the server (though that may come) but the biggest is Android (or at least 3rd party apps) can't write to NAS shares or adopted storage. This means certain metadata updates, etc. won't work and other problems you may or may not care about.

And naturally there are any number of bugs to be worked out (one annoying one is that top level share folders with a space in the name - like "TV Shows" - isn't recognized by PMS, even though it will read sub folders with spaces). Those are being worked out but be aware that it is a bit of a bumpy ride right now.

The Plex forums have a section for PMS on Shield now, check it out before buying. Be aware that as usual, on the internet you'll read a lot of whining, but there are some real concerns raised there.

Edit: Also, the 16GB Shield TV - the most common one - has a problem with large media sets (i.e. their metadata, which is stored locally on the Shield) filling up the available storage on the device, since right now PMS won't write to adopted storage. This may be something they can fix but it also may require Google to cooperate.

Ixian fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Jul 14, 2016

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009
PMS on the Shield is so new that I'm sure these bugs will be worked out eventually. Plex seems good about fixing stuff and pushing out updates.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

wolfbiker posted:

PMS on the Shield is so new that I'm sure these bugs will be worked out eventually. Plex seems good about fixing stuff and pushing out updates.

Writing to adopted storage is out of their control though. If you are dead set on PMS/Shield right now get the 500gb version (since the drive in that isn't seen as adopted, it's considered local storage). Seems a bit extreme considering the extra cost but it will work.

Or just wait it out until they hopefully figure it out. I really like the idea, and when it works it works well for the most part. It does a better job transcoding than most cheap NAS solutions which seems to be the niche it's filling. Just need to get the storage issues sorted out.

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009

Ixian posted:

Writing to adopted storage is out of their control though.

Oh, that's weird. So the Shield can't write any data to an external drive? Wonder if Google would change that.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

wolfbiker posted:

Oh, that's weird. So the Shield can't write any data to an external drive? Wonder if Google would change that.

It's an Android security feature so getting Google to modify it for PMS (or apps like it) seems like a tall order, but stranger things have happened I suppose.

Basically, with external drives (which can be actual usb sticks, HDD, or SD cards):

You can attach it as adopted storage, which encrypts the volume - and wipes everything on it - and basically dedicates it to that Android system. You can't, for example, detach it and hook it up to a PC to read files/write them. So using this method for local media storage is problematic since it means you'd have to figure out how to transfer the media over the network to the drive, you can't hook it up to your PC/NAS/whatever via USB.

Apps are restricted to using adopted storage only for their own local app folder (in PMS's case, /Android/data/com.plexapp.mediaserver.smb/ ). PMS can do anything it wants in this folder, the current problem is it doesn't write metadata there, it uses the folder created by default on the true internal storage, so 16GB Shields can fill up quick if you have a lot of media (and it doesn't take much, less than 1,000 items can do it).

The latter is something Plex could possibly fix. That way you could, for example, insert an SD card more or less "permanently" in the Shield and it would use that. Currently it does not.

If you want to hook an external drive, like a USB hard drive, up to the Shield you either need to adopt it - which locks the device to the Shield, de facto - or leave it as read only. If it's read only PMS can't make local metadata updates, etc. for new content.

What some users are currently doing is attaching one USB drive for local media storage, adopting it, then attaching a second USB drive read-only that has media on it, and transferring from one to the other. This is a lot faster than doing it over the network (though still fairly slow) and allows the adopted drive to be written to by PMS.

If you have all your media on a NAS somewhere, you are SOL for writes, Android won't allow writes to an external share by an app (though users can manually do it, which doesn't help the PMS issue).

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009
Wow, what a nightmare. Plex needs to integrate some sort of manual or automatic network file transfer utility for easily moving files over to the hard drive if you choose to use it as internal storage.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
XBMC/kodi (which plex is built on) has network file management built in so dunno why plex cant have a file browser built in.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
Plex has a folder layout view that shows directories and that works for some folks. It's not going to give you file names for each item though. If you don't want the poster and metadata fetching, just pick Home Videos as your media type and it'll back off. There's some alternative media scrapers and metadata agents available if you install the unsupported plug-in store for Plex as well.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

necrobobsledder posted:

Plex has a folder layout view that shows directories and that works for some folks. It's not going to give you file names for each item though. If you don't want the poster and metadata fetching, just pick Home Videos as your media type and it'll back off. There's some alternative media scrapers and metadata agents available if you install the unsupported plug-in store for Plex as well.

PMS for Shield doesn't support plugins at all, including installing the unsupported store to install unsupported plugins.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

wolfbiker posted:

Wow, what a nightmare. Plex needs to integrate some sort of manual or automatic network file transfer utility for easily moving files over to the hard drive if you choose to use it as internal storage.

That's not really the hard part, though it would make things a little easier I suppose. The big problem is when you get new media you have to do everything manually right now. I suppose Sonarr, Sickbeard, or whatever could be pointed to use the adopted storage on the Shield - I haven't tried this, I don't know if you can share that out over SMB but I believe that to be the case - which could work. However this pretty much means you'll be using PMS/Shield exclusively as your local media serving/storage, along with whatever USB drives you can hook up.

The real problem is if you already have all your media on an external share, like a NAS. A nice use case for PMS on the Shield would be to keep using your NAS as the storage device, but let the Shield handle transcoding/etc., since the Shield GPU is going to be much better at that then the typical low-end CPUs in most NAS boxes. And it's also fairly low power, meaning you could have two low power devices doing something that normally requires a higher-power solution to provide (like, for example, a FreeNAS box running PMS that has an Intel Xeon. This is what I use and it works fantastically well, but it is overpowered).

However Android won't allow apps to write to external shares. So things like local updates to metadata files, subtitle downloads, etc. can't be done by PMS on Shield. And as mentioned the Shield 16GB already has enough trouble as it is storing the metadata that PMS keeps local to itself.

The other side effect of this is if you want to do "optimization" of files, or transcode them for offline viewing on a Plex mobile client, you can't use the NAS storage for that either.

TL;DR: Shield PMS is an interesting solution that, for people who don't want to deal with a NAS/external server and just want to hook up a local hard drive to the Shield and run everything from there, would be a good solution, once they work out some remaining kinks. If you already have a NAS/etc. for your media this really doesn't solve any new problems for you and introduces new ones.

Aghama
Jul 24, 2002

Hmm, so my PC is currently my Plex server, and I was hoping to get away from that with the Shield (16 GB of course). But we have Amazon Prime and I also have a Fire TV on the way. It doesn't seem like I have a compelling reason to keep the Shield.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug
If you are super-in to Prime video you basically have two choices for TV (as opposed to phone, tablet) viewing:

The Fire TV.

A Sony (or Samsung) TV that runs Android TV. Those devices, and only those, have a Prime Video client for Android TV. It used to be good, recently they changed it to look more like the Fire TV - not a positive, in my book - but it works well, and supports HDR/4k at that - even the Fire TV 4k version doesn't support HDR.

Hacks aside (which break all the time) that's it. Oh, and you can still cast Prime Video from a phone/tablet client via GoogleCast, and the Shield is a GoogleCast receiver. If you only occasionally watch Prime stuff (like their exclusives) that is a good choice.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Apple TV will play Prime Video from an iOS device over AirPlay, last I checked.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Has anyone here successfully gotten a Kodi+MySQL/MariaDB setup to work?

The multi-device synchronization is a really nice feature.

I've followed the wiki guide and there are no errors but the systems just aren't syncing.
I'm going to try and blow it all away and try again, but if anyone has any tips, that'd be great.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
I've been using MySQL for years. Last I checked the permissions setup on the wiki basically made it wide open to the kodi user, so I made it a bit more secure for my own setup but otherwise there's nothing special going on.

Here's what's in my advancedsettings.xml:
code:
  <videodatabase>
      <type>mysql</type>
      <host>titan</host>
      <port>3306</port>
      <user>kodi</user>
      <pass>kodi</pass>
      <name>kodi_video</name>
  </videodatabase>
  <musicdatabase>
      <type>mysql</type>
      <host>titan</host>
      <port>3306</port>
      <user>kodi</user>
      <pass>kodi</pass>
      <name>kodi_music</name>
  </musicdatabase>
Obviously Titan is the MySQL host (and in this case also the file server, though this is not in any way necessary).

I just paste that XML in to the file on every system I install Kodi on. It's currently working across two LibreELEC RPis, a Windows 10 machine, a Ubuntu 16.04 machine, and a Fire TV Stick with the DB hosted on Ubuntu 14.04.

and here's my permissions in MySQL:
code:
mysql> show grants for 'kodi';
+-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+
| Grants for kodi@%                                                                                   |
+-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+
| GRANT USAGE ON *.* TO 'kodi'@'%' IDENTIFIED BY PASSWORD '*2249595D6A53B38A77AA4AB2091D9B1A71F88735' |
| GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES ON `kodi`.* TO 'kodi'@'%'                                                      |
| GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES ON `kodi\_%`.* TO 'kodi'@'%'                                                   |
3 rows in set (0.01 sec)

wolrah fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Jul 16, 2016

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

wolrah posted:

I've been using MySQL for years. Last I checked the permissions setup on the wiki basically made it wide open to the kodi user, so I made it a bit more secure for my own setup but otherwise there's nothing special going on.

Here's what's in my advancedsettings.xml:
code:
  <advancedsettings>
  <videodatabase>
    <type>mysql</type>
    <host>192.68.1.5</host>
    <port>3306</port>
    <user>kodi</user>
    <pass>kodi</pass>
  </videodatabase> 
  <musicdatabase>
    <type>mysql</type>
    <host>192.168.1.5</host>
    <port>3306</port>
    <user>kodi</user>
    <pass>kodi</pass>
  </musicdatabase>
  <videolibrary>
    <importwatchedstate>true</importwatchedstate>
    <importresumepoint>true</importresumepoint>
  </videolibrary>
</advancedsettings>
Mine matches all that (I used ip address per the wiki and minus the tighter security), but i get no library.

I did a fresh install of jarvis on this pc, copied the xml into userdata, launch kodi...... and nothing. no library. just a base install.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb

toplitzin posted:

Mine matches all that (I used ip address per the wiki and minus the tighter security), but i get no library.

I did a fresh install of jarvis on this pc, copied the xml into userdata, launch kodi...... and nothing. no library. just a base install.

Anything useful in the logs?

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

fletcher posted:

Anything useful in the logs?

it's silent so i haven't seen anything. i dont even get an error. lemme poke around.

Edit:
I enabled debugging, and maybe i think its looking in the wrong path for the xml file system vs UserData

code:
21:02:36 T:4696  NOTICE: No settings file to load (special://xbmc/system/advancedsettings.xml)
21:02:36 T:4696  NOTICE: No settings file to load (special://masterprofile/advancedsettings.xml)
Edit 2:
I moved the xml and now Kodi hangs at the splash screen. I guess that's some sort of progress :)

Edit 3:

Pastebin of kodi hang: http://pastebin.com/CFFyjHW7

Google says the last line is a red herring.

toplitzin fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Jul 16, 2016

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
To anyone holding out on upgrading to Windows 10 because it lacks Windows Media Center, the folks at mydigitallife have you covered!

http://forums.mydigitallife.info/threads/61061-DISCUSSION-Patch-WMC-to-run-on-Windows-10-final-amp-possible-alternatives

Works fine on my system. Only trouble I had was getting WMC to scrape guide data now that they’ve switched from Rovio to the new guide provider. Just had to try a bunch of different local zip codes to resolve that though. This hack even lets you tune protected stations like HBO.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

toplitzin posted:

Edit 3:

Pastebin of kodi hang: http://pastebin.com/CFFyjHW7
Do a show grants like I did, as well as show databases.

robostac
Sep 23, 2009

Ixian posted:

If you are super-in to Prime video you basically have two choices for TV (as opposed to phone, tablet) viewing:

LG have prime on their webos smart TVs as well.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

wolrah posted:

Do a show grants like I did, as well as show databases.

code:
MariaDB [(none)]> show grants for 'kodi';
+--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+
| Grants for kodi@%
                               |
+--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+
| GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES ON *.* TO 'kodi'@'%' IDENTIFIED BY PASSWORD '*2249595D6A53B38A77AA4AB2091D9B1A71F88735' |
1 row in set (0.00 sec)

MariaDB [(none)]> show databases;
+--------------------+
| Database           |
+--------------------+
| information_schema |
| mymusic56          |
| mysql              |
| performance_schema |
| test               |
+--------------------+
5 rows in set (0.00 sec)

MariaDB [(none)]>

Odd seeing PW, as i didn't setup any uder besides root with one.

toplitzin fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Jul 16, 2016

Aghama
Jul 24, 2002

Ixian posted:

The Fire TV.

A Sony (or Samsung) TV that runs Android TV. Those devices, and only those, have a Prime Video client for Android TV. It used to be good, recently they changed it to look more like the Fire TV - not a positive, in my book - but it works well, and supports HDR/4k at that - even the Fire TV 4k version doesn't support HDR.

Hacks aside (which break all the time) that's it. Oh, and you can still cast Prime Video from a phone/tablet client via GoogleCast, and the Shield is a GoogleCast receiver. If you only occasionally watch Prime stuff (like their exclusives) that is a good choice.
So my use case is simply that I have 3 TVs I want to stream a single database to. One TV really only needs a few workout videos. I have a fire TV stick, a fire TV on the way, and an old Roku stick.

Would an external USB hard drive, Kodi + MySQL for the fires and then a Plex server with just those workouts for the Roku all work on the 16 GB Shield? That would sidestep the metadata issues and I could eventually pick up another fire stick when they're on sale and a NAS somewhere down the line without having to redo things too much.

I got the Shield + extra controller + remote for $180+tax. I could probably eBay the controller for $45ish so it kind of seems like a nobrainer to keep it if I can configure all this right.

Edit: or maybe just enable UPnP to support the Roku?

Aghama fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Jul 16, 2016

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
I think I'm actually going to return my Shield and stick with my 6 year old Acer Aspire Revo machine running Openelec. I like it fine enough, but there's no sickrage/newsgroup setup that doesn't seem like a massive pain in the rear end. Furthermore, for some reason my Play Music account on there is a total mess. There's no issues with it on my phone/laptop, even if I access it from another computer, but for some reason on the Shield there's album art missing, there are albums that are now suddenly listed as 'Unknown Artist', there are playlists that seem to only exist on there (I checked phone and laptop and both show that I have less than twenty, not the endless amount the Shield app says I have), for some reason a bunch of albums now have 0 seconds next to all the tracks making them unplayable.

It's bizarre that the unofficial plugin that someone made for Kodi works so much better than the official one.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

DrVenkman posted:

I think I'm actually going to return my Shield and stick with my 6 year old Acer Aspire Revo machine running Openelec. I like it fine enough, but there's no sickrage/newsgroup setup that doesn't seem like a massive pain in the rear end. Furthermore, for some reason my Play Music account on there is a total mess. There's no issues with it on my phone/laptop, even if I access it from another computer, but for some reason on the Shield there's album art missing, there are albums that are now suddenly listed as 'Unknown Artist', there are playlists that seem to only exist on there (I checked phone and laptop and both show that I have less than twenty, not the endless amount the Shield app says I have), for some reason a bunch of albums now have 0 seconds next to all the tracks making them unplayable.

It's bizarre that the unofficial plugin that someone made for Kodi works so much better than the official one.

FWIW, Play Music works perfectly on my Shield and I use it every day. The only thing I don't like about it is the lack of multiple account support.

You were hoping to run sickrage on the Shield?

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

toplitzin posted:

Odd seeing PW, as i didn't setup any uder besides root with one.

Hm, that all looks right. Permissions are wide open, which is fine as long as you're not doing anything else with that SQL instance or exposing it to the internet, so that can't be a problem. Looks like it created the music database but not the video one.

Did you have a local SQLite database populated before switching to MariaDB? It's been a long time so I don't recall if it tries to import existing local databases when populating a new network database.

To check if that might be happening run "SHOW FULL PROCESSLIST" a few times while launching Kodi and when it's "hung" and see if it shows any activity that looks relevant. If you see what looks like things happening, just sit back and wait on it for a while.

Here's an example of what mine shows while running a scan for new content on the video database:

code:
mysql> show full processlist;
+------+------+--------------------------+---------------+---------+------+-------+-----------------------+
| Id   | User | Host                     | db            | Command | Time | State | Info                  |
+------+------+--------------------------+---------------+---------+------+-------+-----------------------+
| 9881 | root | localhost                | NULL          | Query   |    0 | NULL  | show full processlist |
| 9882 | kodi | MmmPi.aperture.lan:60094 | kodi_video106 | Sleep   |   12 |       | NULL                  |
| 9884 | kodi | MmmPi.aperture.lan:60098 | kodi_video106 | Sleep   |    0 |       | NULL                  |
3 rows in set (0.00 sec)
If it doesn't show any activity, at that point I'd fire up a packet sniffer on the SQL server end to see what's actually going on over the wire.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

I did try installing MySQL first, but it worked even less.

Can I just nuke all the DBs and try again?

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
The mymusic56 database is the only Kodi-created one there, and yeah you can delete that and it'll just get recreated empty the next time Kodi launches.

Just for curiosity, what version of MariaDB are you using? It seems like there are known issues with certain 10.1.x versions that interfere with Kodi.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

wolrah posted:

The mymusic56 database is the only Kodi-created one there, and yeah you can delete that and it'll just get recreated empty the next time Kodi launches.

Just for curiosity, what version of MariaDB are you using? It seems like there are known issues with certain 10.1.x versions that interfere with Kodi.
10.1 x64

I tried the recommended version of MySQL and I couldn't even get the command line instance to start.

Kodi 16.1

I just dropped the tables, re-wrote the advanced settings xml, and am going to try and launch kodi on the local to sql machine.

edit: did the process thing, it shows up for a bit then stops (as it crashed)

code:
MariaDB [(none)]> SHOW full processlist;
+-----+------+-----------------+-----------+---------+------+------------------------------------------+----------------------------------------------------------------------------+----------+
| Id  | User | Host            | db        | Command | Time | State                                    | Info                                                   |Progress |
+-----+------+-----------------+-----------+---------+------+------------------------------------------+----------------------------------------------------------------------------+----------+
| 120 | root | localhost:58035 | NULL      | Query   |    0 | init                                     | SHOW full processlist                                                      |    0.000 |
| 146 | kodi | Denbox:53607    | mymusic56 | Query   |    0 | committing alter table to storage engine | CREATE UNIQUE INDEXidxSong7 ON song( idAlbum, trMusicBrainzTrackID(36) ) |    0.000 |
Now the Music DB is there again too:
code:
MariaDB [(none)]> show databases;
+--------------------+
| Database           |
+--------------------+
| information_schema |
| mymusic56          |
| performance_schema |
+--------------------+
3 rows in set (0.00 sec)
So the remote system is what created the music DB. I'm going to pull music from the xml because I actually don't have any.

toplitzin fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Jul 16, 2016

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Not gonna lie.

Just tried Emby and it worked in seconds.

Edit: But not perfectly. blarrrgh

toplitzin fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Jul 17, 2016

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
Supposedly you can use UPnP between Kodi instances and all the library stuff works as expected. Couldn't hurt to try that. I have no idea why it's not working for you, it's clearly talking to the SQL server and has sufficient permissions.

If you want to keep fighting it add <loglevel>2</loglevel> to your advancedsettings.xml and let's see if the debug log tells us anything more interesting.

edit: Also, how long are you letting it sit when you've decided it hung? If my SQL server is down (say after a power outage when my Kodi boxes boot much faster than the server) they hang for about five minutes before failing through and acting like there's no database. Does this happen or not?

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

wolrah posted:

Supposedly you can use UPnP between Kodi instances and all the library stuff works as expected. Couldn't hurt to try that. I have no idea why it's not working for you, it's clearly talking to the SQL server and has sufficient permissions.

If you want to keep fighting it add <loglevel>2</loglevel> to your advancedsettings.xml and let's see if the debug log tells us anything more interesting.

edit: Also, how long are you letting it sit when you've decided it hung? If my SQL server is down (say after a power outage when my Kodi boxes boot much faster than the server) they hang for about five minutes before failing through and acting like there's no database. Does this happen or not?

It hangs until windows considers it non-responding/hard crash vs "do you want to close/wait"

Emby is working reasonably smoothly, but i might try the older GA/Stable (10.0) of MariaDB if i get saucy a bit later tonight.
Edit: lets try this again with 10.0

Edit 2: It's building a DB!

code:

MariaDB [(none)]> show full processlist;
+----+------+-----------------+------------+---------+------+-------+-----------------------+----------+
| Id | User | Host            | db         | Command | Time | State | Info      		   	| Progress |
+----+------+-----------------+------------+---------+------+-------+-----------------------+----------+
| 34 | root | localhost:61150 | NULL       | Query   |    0 | init  | show full processlist |    0.000 |
| 43 | kodi | David-PC:61281  | myvideos99 | Sleep   |   21 |       | NULL					|    0.000 |
| 48 | kodi | David-PC:61311  | myvideos99 | Sleep   |   21 |       | NULL					|    0.000 |
| 51 | kodi | David-PC:61314  | myvideos99 | Sleep   |    0 |       | NULL		            |    0.000 |
4 rows in set (0.00 sec)
Edit 3: Great Success!

toplitzin fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Jul 17, 2016

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Thermopyle posted:

FWIW, Play Music works perfectly on my Shield and I use it every day. The only thing I don't like about it is the lack of multiple account support.

You were hoping to run sickrage on the Shield?

Then I don't get it. For me it's an utter mess and I don't know why. It's not a problem that exists anywhere else (I installed the unofficial plugin through SPMC and it works perfectly) only on there. I've cleared the cache, rolled back the update and done it again, all the same thing. It's bizarre.

As for Sickrage etc I was hoping the box round replace what my current openelec box does which has sabnzbd and Sickrage etc installed on it and I access through the web.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
The official Play Music app works fine for me on the Shield.

The Shield is more of an STB. The fact that it can run PMS is just a bonus. Running SickRage on it is technically possible but it's not intended to be a NAS/server appliance.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

The Gunslinger posted:

The official Play Music app works fine for me on the Shield.

The Shield is more of an STB. The fact that it can run PMS is just a bonus. Running SickRage on it is technically possible but it's not intended to be a NAS/server appliance.

Crazy then, I have no real explanation for it other than it just appears to be on the Shield. I've checked my folders to see where it might be getting playlists from (Every album seems to have an empty playlists associated with it) but nothing. Some albums seem to include the artist-album name as the album name and I can't see where it's getting that from either. I'm going to give myself a couple more days with it but it's kinda poo poo that some unofficial app someone has made for SPMC works better than the official one (For me at least).

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009
Have you tried logging out of your Google account on the Shield and then log back in again? I had a similar problem on my phone where new stuff and artwork wasn't syncing on my phone and I had to log out/in.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

wolfbiker posted:

Have you tried logging out of your Google account on the Shield and then log back in again? I had a similar problem on my phone where new stuff and artwork wasn't syncing on my phone and I had to log out/in.

Yeah I cleared everything and then logged out/back in but still the same.

Ultimately it seems like a syncing issue, but there doesn't seem like there's a lot I can do about it on the Shield. And I don't know it only affects that particular app and not any of the others. For instance, if I browse the 'Album' tab, it will have some Springsteen albums that have no artwork and all the songs are listed as 0 seconds. However if I go in through the 'Artist' tab to Springsteen it shows those albums, with artwork and playing without any problems.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

toplitzin posted:

Not gonna lie.

Just tried Emby and it worked in seconds.

Edit: But not perfectly. blarrrgh

Emby takes a bit of tuning and know-how if you are using it with the Kodi addon.

By far the biggest - and it's neither obvious, nor the default setting for some reason - is to make sure the addon is configured for "direct play" and that prefer http over smb is disabled. Then do a library refresh.

What this does is just feed the direct path of your shared media to Kodi with no transcoding/etc. All you lose is the ability to do "theater" mode from the server, which just means playing trailers before movies and such (if you are really in to that there's a Kodi addon that does it too).

What you end up with is a Kodi system that works like the shared mysql method does for multiple clients, only it works better and you get a super nice web interface to manage it. And you can use the mobile clients, etc. on other devices and keep everything synced. Works really well and there's no need for the Emby server to transcode anything it sends to Kodi anyway since it generally does a better job handling media locally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

Not sure if this is the best place to post it, but here goes anyway. How can i play my Youtube Subscriptions as a playlist on my NVIDIA Shield?
I just want to select a video from my subscriptions and have it keep playing chronologically through the rest of them. Bonus points if it can skip watched ones.

This really shouldn't be that difficult but I haven't found a way to do it. I've tried:
- Youtube website on PC, Chromecast the tab in Chrome to the shield. - It just plays the one video then goes off to another random video as suggsted by "up next"
- Youtube on PC, chromecast Youtube to the shield. - It just plays the one video
- Youtube App on shield, navigate to Subs start a video. - It just plays the one video then goes off to another random video as suggsted by "up next"
- https://youtube.videodeck.net on PC, chromecast the Youtube app - Sets up the playlist correctly, plays one video, tries to start the correct next one, but hangs without playing until you close the tab.

Only way I've found is to manually make a playlist or to select each video and manually add it to the Chromecast queue.

Anyone got any suggestions?