Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
Let's try an experiment. Can you bore people to death with a YouTube-video? I wanted to try. This is the result.

The Long Dark Hour of the Void

Almost an hour of me looking at stuff: Mostly black holes, but also some landings and aimless driving around in SRVs. I decided to make this video after I noticed my archive HDD was slowly running out of space because of too much raw files and not enough rendered videos. Now I cleared up a huge chunk of space from my drive and you get to suffer watch a nice hour of Elite-exploration!

It's win-win all around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004

Main Paineframe posted:

Shields recharge faster in supercruise and get instantly refilled to max when you dock.

Not instant unless it's changed since the last time I've played. In the beta when I ran 5 max-upgraded SCB on a corvette it took almost a minute to recharge the shields while on the landing pad.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

nightwisher posted:

Not instant unless it's changed since the last time I've played. In the beta when I ran 5 max-upgraded SCB on a corvette it took almost a minute to recharge the shields while on the landing pad.

So you're saying the most intensely upgraded shields in the game will take 60 seconds to recharge? Sweet.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Mike the TV posted:

So you're saying the most intensely upgraded shields in the game will take 60 seconds to recharge? Sweet.

:frontear:

timn
Mar 16, 2010
At a certain point if you're trying to stack thousands of mj worth of shields then yeah there's gonna be some diminishing returns on utility there. You'll get more total capacity with a C7 SCB and two heatsinks and as bonus not be completely boring!

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon
You mean more total capacity for twice as long at most. Then you have to go reload that anway.

timn
Mar 16, 2010
Perhaps the ability to sustain shields between multiple fights is intentionally a limited resource. Hmmm.

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon

timn posted:

Perhaps the ability to sustain shields between multiple fights is intentionally a limited resource. Hmmm.

Sorry if im being dumb, but what are frontier trying to achieve through this besides grind? Or making it harder to costantly attack people in open i guess

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Surprise Giraffe posted:

Sorry if im being dumb, but what are frontier trying to achieve through this besides grind?

What does your heart tell you?

Speaking of grind, today I went to get some rare commodities at a place and they had 60, rather than 5. Is rare trading good again?

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Truga posted:

What does your heart tell you?

Speaking of grind, today I went to get some rare commodities at a place and they had 60, rather than 5. Is rare trading good again?

Rare allocation is now heavily affected by the BGS and therefore swings wildly back and forth. One day you might get three times as many rares as usual, the next you might get one-third as many as usual

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

:frogsiren:

THE GEMS FOR THE CG ARE AT MAIKI AT THE THIRD PLANET IN A STATIC USS, EVERYONE KNOWS, GO IN YOUR BEST CARGO SHIP AND USE SOLO TO RESET IT OVER AND OVER AND COLLECT

You will get filthy rich doing this, they are worth near 70k each and there are as many as you can take as fast as you can take them.

Oh and you'll get the GalCop decal too.

Space Skeleton fucked around with this message at 12:27 on Jul 15, 2016

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Space Skeleton posted:

:frogsiren:

THE GEMS FOR THE CG ARE AT MAIKI AT THE THIRD PLANET IN A STATIC USS, EVERYONE KNOWS, GO IN YOUR BEST CARGO SHIP AND USE SOLO TO RESET IT OVER AND OVER AND COLLECT

You will get filthy rich doing this, they are worth near 70k each and there are as many as you can take as fast as you can take them.

Oh and you'll get the GalCop decal too.

:eyepop: How many gems can you find in an average instance of the USS?

a big fat bunny
Oct 4, 2002

woo look at 'em gonk

deadly_pudding posted:

:eyepop: How many gems can you find in an average instance of the USS?

About 20. And you can reset it by just logging out and going right back in instead of dicking around about trying to do a massive 360 in supercruise.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

a big fat bunny posted:

About 20. And you can reset it by just logging out and going right back in instead of dicking around about trying to do a massive 360 in supercruise.

Well it sounds like I'm gonna make like 20-60 million creds monday-wednesday evenings next week :v:

deadly_pudding fucked around with this message at 13:25 on Jul 15, 2016

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Welp, time to buy a type 9. I've been considering getting one anyway

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

deadly_pudding posted:

Well it sounds like I'm gonna make like 20-60 million creds monday-wednesday evenings next week :v:

Depends on if they keep the USS there after the games close.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Hi I am just coming back to the game after a long absence. What's the best place to sell my current ship and buy some trading ship? And do I need to sell the parts off first to get my most money back or can I just sell the whole thing at once.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

cheesetriangles posted:

Hi I am just coming back to the game after a long absence. What's the best place to sell my current ship and buy some trading ship? And do I need to sell the parts off first to get my most money back or can I just sell the whole thing at once.

1. A Li Yong-Rui system that sells the ship you want, if the ship is expensive enough to warrant it (15% discount)
2. Sell off your parts first.
3. Do not buy a type 7, type 9, or keelback.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

cheesetriangles posted:

e: didn't word this well and don't feel like rewording it.

Sell components first, yes, or you'll lose 10% value on them. I only bother doing this for the big ticket components because it's not worth the time it takes to sell poo poo that you're only losing like 20,000CR on.

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 15 minutes!
Newsletter is out.

http://email-elitedangerous.com/t/3F35-9Q2D-EC33OUQFC5/cr.aspx

Holy poo poo that this a good screenshot. From here. http://www.elitegalaxy.org/?p=6087

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Founder's World is in lockdown :argh:

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Nicetalga4Meltdown posted:

Founder's World is in lockdown :argh:

quick someone petition fdev to godmod it

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

BMan posted:

1. A Li Yong-Rui system that sells the ship you want, if the ship is expensive enough to warrant it (15% discount)
2. Sell off your parts first.
3. Do not buy a type 7, type 9, or keelback.

Why not a type 7 or type 9? Aren't those the biggest cargo hold ships in their class?

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

cheesetriangles posted:

Why not a type 7 or type 9? Aren't those the biggest cargo hold ships in their class?

Type 7s are classified as "large" because their spoiler is too tall for a medium landing pad. No, I'm not joking.

Type 9s have slightly more potential cargo space than an Anaconda at the expense of just about everything else. If you can get an anaconda you're better off doing that for the sake of versatility instead of getting a lovely expensive flying brick.

e: This is not including the reputation-locked Federal Corvette and Imperial Cutter, the latter of which is the hands-down largest capacity ship in the game, with almost 300T more potential capacity than a Type 9.

Ursine Catastrophe fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Jul 15, 2016

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

Type 7s are classified as "large" because their spoiler is too tall for a medium landing pad. No, I'm not joking.

Type 9s have slightly more potential cargo space than an Anaconda at the expense of just about everything else. If you can get an anaconda you're better off doing that for the sake of versatility instead of getting a lovely expensive flying brick.

e: This is not including the reputation-locked Federal Corvette and Imperial Cutter, the latter of which is the hands-down largest capacity ship in the game, with almost 300T more potential capacity than a Type 9.

Well I only have 11m in assets anyway so none of them are really an option.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

cheesetriangles posted:

Well I only have 11m in assets anyway so none of them are really an option.

You should be able to kit out a decent Asp Explorer for 11m and still have the rebuy, and get 80-100T of cargo space stuck in it.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

What's the best way these days to get the rep for a Cutter?

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Edit: I am being too grumpy :3:

Boogalo fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Jul 15, 2016

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

StarkRavingMad posted:

What's the best way these days to get the rep for a Cutter?

https://m.reddit.com/r/EliteDangerous/comments/4sguoa/this_imperial_rank_grind_actually_works/ I used this spot to get up to Baron for the Clipper and it was relatively painless. I started at... Whatever the rank for the courier is and it took me 3 days of only an hour or two playtime each to get to the Clipper. I think the last day was a Sunday though and maybe took a bit longer, regardless. Pretty fast.

It nets not bad money, which is nice. I made 10mil in that period and fairly frequently spent on the horribly inefficient charity missions, so it could have been a lot more.

Even still, if you're a low rank and aiming for cutter I would try to break up the monotony of it with some other stuff.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Panch posted:

https://m.reddit.com/r/EliteDangerous/comments/4sguoa/this_imperial_rank_grind_actually_works/ I used this spot to get up to Baron for the Clipper and it was relatively painless. I started at... Whatever the rank for the courier is and it took me 3 days of only an hour or two playtime each to get to the Clipper. I think the last day was a Sunday though and maybe took a bit longer, regardless. Pretty fast.

It nets not bad money, which is nice. I made 10mil in that period and fairly frequently spent on the horribly inefficient charity missions, so it could have been a lot more.

Even still, if you're a low rank and aiming for cutter I would try to break up the monotony of it with some other stuff.

Thanks, this is useful. I'm used to the monotony of courier missions already.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

cheesetriangles posted:

Nope, but that's a common misconception. The Type 7 and Type 9 are just the cheapest ships that can hold that amount of cargo, and when it comes to literally everything besides cargo capacity, you get what you pay for - they're slow, incredibly weak and fragile, and have poor jump range. Both ships have more expensive counterparts that hold just as much cargo and are also better in literally every other possible way. If you have 11 million credits, the Asp is the ship for you - and if you don't have any Imperial rank, you're going to be in it for a while, since the next non-rank-locked step up from the Asp is the Python.

Coyote Ugly
Nov 14, 2006

Panch posted:

I did this a few weeks ago to get to knight pretty fast. Is this still good to do to rank up for the Clipper or is there another route to gain imperial rank in a different system. I'm wanting to go back to it get it up.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Panch posted:

Is there one for Federal?

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

When is the new patch coming that lessens the grind for engineer components and such? I totally lost interest in this game because finding those components is so stupid.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Coyote Ugly posted:

I did this a few weeks ago to get to knight pretty fast. Is this still good to do to rank up for the Clipper or is there another route to gain imperial rank in a different system. I'm wanting to go back to it get it up.

It was quick enough through Baron for the clipper I didn't blink at it. I think that method is solid! There may be better ones somewhere, but that one is very easy.

Edit: I just finished doing it earlier this week, so if your question was "does it still work" I believe the answer is yes.

Colonial Air Force posted:

Is there one for Federal?

No idea - I was set on getting a clipper and modding the FSD to make it into a deep space explorer with Imperial style. Haven't done the federal ranks at all yet.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Nevermind checked the PGS thread.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Level 3 FSD range upgrade just barely nudged me over 30ly with a planetary explorer build. Who needs an Asp?

Time to get out there and get the space madness but in style.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
That's the way to do it. I've been tooling about in my courier but I may pull my cutter out of mothballs.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

TomR posted:

That's the way to do it. I've been tooling about in my courier but I may pull my cutter out of mothballs.

My "I'm done with this game" sort of goal is to build a deep space cutter. I figure I can get about 36ly at the very high end of engineer upgrades and it can haul a ridiculous amount of stuff. I could haul 200+ tons of cargo at over 30ly range.

In the mean time though, I just ran through a final little check of my load out and such and about to plot a course to Eta Carinae via the Statue of Liberty nebula.

I've been drinking rum and gin but what's the worst that can happen?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!

Panch posted:

My "I'm done with this game" sort of goal is to build a deep space cutter. I figure I can get about 36ly at the very high end of engineer upgrades and it can haul a ridiculous amount of stuff. I could haul 200+ tons of cargo at over 30ly range.

In the mean time though, I just ran through a final little check of my load out and such and about to plot a course to Eta Carinae via the Statue of Liberty nebula.

I've been drinking rum and gin but what's the worst that can happen?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LoR2qr0d3Gc the worst that can happen.

• Locked thread