Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

Firebert posted:

I don't consider it anti-trek. It's very TOS and pays a lot of homage to the series. Farscape is basically..."imagine Voyager if the writers and producers knew or cared what they were doing".

I call is that because it takes the TOS/TNG tropes and tosses them on their head.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Baronjutter posted:

On our recent DS9 watch me and my wife both agreed that the first mirror universe episode was fine as a one off, but they became bad and stale super quick. Ferengi episodes are all good, profit and lace is tolerable, mirror universe are all really bad beyond the first one. DS9 holodeck episodes are good and baseball episode is real good, it actually got my wife interested in baseball and now we go to local games. Startrek: getting nerds interested in sports.

I'm a weirdo who enjoys the ENT mirror universe episode. It's good, hammy fun full of people being retards, Enterprise dispensing with the usual protests it makes about its women existing only for fanservice, and Hoshi getting to do something for once in the show's run.

the real blah
Oct 31, 2010
I ended up going to the Starfleet Academy Experience at the Canada Aviation and Space Museum in Ottawa. I had a lot of fun with the little displays and minigames they had there.

I did notice that even in a museum, O'Brien can't catch a break (I know it's a lovely picture):

His was the only one in the exhibit that had any kind of battle damage. It had to be intentional on the part of the curator.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Noticed that all the Axanar Prod. website seems to be doing these days is reviews of other productions and other log-rolling endeavors.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Uhh JJ Abrams just said the next Trek movie after Beyond will have Kirks dad back.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.

Burning_Monk posted:

I call is that because it takes the TOS/TNG tropes and tosses them on their head.

Farscape owns bones. I think everyone ITT is on the same page about this, more or less. The rest is semantics.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Awww, that's so rad. :3:

EDIT: Oh hey here's a CNN article about it from January

'Star Trek' show made by fans is a hit

Not only that, he was so into costuming that he used the stuff he got from Theiss to personally create all the costumes they used in NV, which is why they always had such great costumes from the beginning. He made the green wraparound tunic for Archer in the Enterprise Mirror episodes, IIRC:

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

GreenNight posted:

Uhh JJ Abrams just said the next Trek movie after Beyond will have Kirks dad back.
More surprising to me is that they seem to have greenlit a 4th film before this one even comes out. Apparently advance reviews have started coming out and they are positive for the new one.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Rotten Tomatoes is already at 93% apparently.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

What's at 93% ? This fan phase II stuff? The acting and editing is bad :(

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Star Trek: Beyond Thunderdome, the movie we were talking about.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Cojawfee posted:

"Who run main Engineering?"

"Lt.Master Blaster run main Engineering."

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Cojawfee posted:

We Don't Need Another Chekov (feat. Nurse Chapel)

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Is there a comprehensive guide to the Star Trek comics anywhere?

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

just watched the very special drug episode in season 1 of tng. I'm amazed Beverly just didn't go "we've allowed for a permanent underclass of an entire planet of drug addicts. Starfleet is horseshit, I'm outies", because what the gently caress

PenguinKnight fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Jul 16, 2016

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

io9 said the movie was very frustrating because the middle bit with all the characters was really good and they just NAILED the interactions. They also said it's the best movie since IV to involve all the characters in meaningful ways.

Then they went on to advise to hit the bathroom during the climax of the movie because it is tonally and narratively absurd and a massive let down.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Cythereal posted:

I'm a weirdo who enjoys the ENT mirror universe episode. It's good, hammy fun full of people being retards, Enterprise dispensing with the usual protests it makes about its women existing only for fanservice, and Hoshi getting to do something for once in the show's run.

That's not weird, that's the best mirror universe episode and probably the best ENT episode. They had so much fun with it. The only good DS9 one was the one where Rom was along and constantly questioning the premise.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

PenguinKnight posted:

just watched the very special drug episode in season 1 of tng. I'm amazed Beverly just didn't go "we've allowed for a permanent underclass of an entire planet of drug addicts. Starfleet is horseshit, I'm outies", because what the gently caress
I thought the idea there was that the planet of addicts were going to have mass involuntary detox and would then be fine, while the planet whose only industry was selling narcotics would be like "uh, welp."

Addict Planet made everything for Drug Planet so the losers here would be Drug Planet.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

Baka-nin posted:

Well actually in DS9 the Terran Empire collapsed because Spock's reforms made them less brutal and murderous, the DS9 mirror universe is ruled by the Klingon-Cardassian-Bajoran alliance, so the comic pantomime villainy is a little more understandable. I still find myself skipping most of the later MU episodes though. I'm glad TNG and Voyager never bothered with them.

"You see, it turned out that liberalizing only weakened us and allowed the untermenschen with their deviant sexualities to overrun us and destroy our civilization!"

Christ, I hate DS9's take on the mirror universe.

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

Nessus posted:

I thought the idea there was that the planet of addicts were going to have mass involuntary detox and would then be fine, while the planet whose only industry was selling narcotics would be like "uh, welp."

Addict Planet made everything for Drug Planet so the losers here would be Drug Planet.

I kind of had that thought, but I still find a forced detox not fully humane. yeah, it screws peddler planet in the long run, but addict planet is going to suffer like hell for an undeterminable amount of time. find a way to help addict planet while dicking with peddler planet.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

PenguinKnight posted:

I kind of had that thought, but I still find a forced detox not fully humane. yeah, it screws peddler planet in the long run, but addict planet is going to suffer like hell for an undeterminable amount of time. find a way to help addict planet while dicking with peddler planet.
I actually imagine the problem would end a lot sooner than that because, think about it: They had more than one ship, right? But their ships were breaking down from over-use. Eventually they weren't going to be able to meet demand and some chunk of the population of Addict Planet would get clean involuntarily. Now, leaving aside hilarious possibilities like "executing them with police actions" or "ignoring the poors," which just push things down the road - that means at some point the addict planet would know that they'd been worked.

At that point Drug Planet is in deep poo poo. If Drug Planet was smart they'd be encouraging Addict Planet to start building new space freighters.

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

true.

also, rip Tasha Yar, the writers didn't bother to give you much to do :(

Okan170
Nov 14, 2007

Torpedoes away!
Bridge looks nicer with toned-down lighting!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AEmGpXOLFBk

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Okan170 posted:

Bridge looks nicer with toned-down lighting!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AEmGpXOLFBk

They threw in a bit of non-blue colour, too. Much better.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Watching Threshold right now. Tom Paris is acting the hell out of his deathbed scene. It's been surprisingly entertaining.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?
Well, seeing as they've thrown a whole load of Trek on UK Netflix, my partner and I have been watching DS9. Skipped a few really bad episodes in Season 1 but we've really enjoyed S2 so far.

Maquis Pt 1&2 were particularly great. Looking forward to the wire next.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

Met posted:

Watching Threshold right now. Tom Paris is acting the hell out of his deathbed scene. It's been surprisingly entertaining.

Don't worry. "Threshold" doesn't hit its stride until the last five minutes.

Speaking of which, there's a couple of things that have been sticking in my mind about TOS' "The Changeling." One of them is that little setting detail that makes the premise "Threshold" so stupid. NOMAD forces them to go to warp 11 in the episode, and even though Scotty says, "That's not possible!" People in the old thread mentioned something in TOS that proved how goofy the "warp 10 barrier" was, and that must be it. You would think Starfleet would have recorded that poo poo and published it. I guess nobody told Voyager's crew about it. Eh.

The other things that's been really bugging me is what happens to Uhura. She gets mind-wiped by NOMAD to the point that she can talk and talk and stuff, but her mind is completely blank. They "re-educate" her with Starfleet super.... teaching? Which is all well and good but what the gently caress her memories are all gone. The poor woman is like a brand new person! I can't tell if the scene with her learning and her lapsing into Swahili is supposed to make me feel better, or if it's just goofy. Because I guess that if she still knows Swahili, maybe she didn't get totally mind-wiped. I dunno. I just found all of it really disturbing and Voyager-esque when they blow it all off at the end of the episode, and it's never mentioned again.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
Next Gen onwards uses a different system for warp speeds than the original series, probably to stop writers constantly inflating warp speeds for dramatic effect. I think Threshold was the first time it was mentioned on-screen, but defining 'Warp 10' as an infinite, unattainable speed goes back to the TNG writer's bible. Warp 10 in TOS is a bit more than Warp 8 on the TNG scale.

Neat behind the scenes detail: Nichelle Nichols put her foot down and demanded the writers find someone to translate those handful of lines into Swahili - the original script just used English, but she thought it important that Uhura's background be acknowledged directly.

(Plus, as you mentioned, if she remembers her first language, it implies she wasn't entirely mind-wiped, and maybe her memories were just scrambled, which is a hell of a lot easier to swallow than the alternative...)

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Isn't the line something like 'She'll be at college level in a few weeks!'

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

Angry Salami posted:

Next Gen onwards uses a different system for warp speeds than the original series, probably to stop writers constantly inflating warp speeds for dramatic effect. I think Threshold was the first time it was mentioned on-screen, but defining 'Warp 10' as an infinite, unattainable speed goes back to the TNG writer's bible. Warp 10 in TOS is a bit more than Warp 8 on the TNG scale.

Neat behind the scenes detail: Nichelle Nichols put her foot down and demanded the writers find someone to translate those handful of lines into Swahili - the original script just used English, but she thought it important that Uhura's background be acknowledged directly.

(Plus, as you mentioned, if she remembers her first language, it implies she wasn't entirely mind-wiped, and maybe her memories were just scrambled, which is a hell of a lot easier to swallow than the alternative...)

I see. I don't really care about setting minutiae, but warp 10 seemed like a pretty simple thing that the VOY writers were just too lazy to notice. They're so inept and lazy all the time that it's hard ot give them the benefit of the doubt about anything.

As for Uhura's deal: Bones does say at the end of the episode that "she'll be back to college level in a few days." Chalk it up to Starfleet super-science and, more plausibly, that she wasn't completely mind-wiped, if the Swahili is any indication. Also: Nichelle Nichols is awesome.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Warp_factor#Star_Trek:_The_Original_Series

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Voyager was all dark and serious and depressing and most episodes were about paranormal things and GHOSTSSSS. DS9 was about having fun and hanging out with friends.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Shibawanko posted:

Voyager was all dark and serious and depressing and most episodes were about paranormal things and GHOSTSSSS. DS9 was about having fun and hanging out with friends.

That, plus the horrors of war and the personal and moral sacrifices it requires, along with facing the horrible truth of one's past actions. And fun in the holosuites, I guess. Occasionally.

So... trap sprung? I guess? :shrug:

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Angry Salami posted:

Changing the warp scale for next gen was an awful idea. Just tell the writers if they use warp 10+ they'll get punched in the dick. Or if you absolutely need an exponential scale with "infinity" on it, leave some room for growth instead of going to warp 9.7 in the first loving episode.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think it is good that they go fast in the first episode. If you can't go warp 10 and they go 9.7 in the first episode, writers can't do any stupid poo poo to try to make their episode be the fastest enterprise ever or whatever. Except for that one where the pedophile diddles Wesley and the ship goes fast.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Voyager is the fastest model in the fleet, with its variable warp field nacelles able to push the engines to warp 9.975336281.

Until you get to the episode where the Doc meets Hollo AndyDick on the USA prototype ship Badass TRIPLE SEPARATION VECTOR ASSAULT BATTLE MASTER. That ship goes 9.9754!

But then you get stupid rear end loving alternatech like the Trajector field, QUANTUM SLIPSTREAM, Transwarp and Kes' PsychoCrusher Superwarp that just means writers can pull bullshit out of their rear end to Gotta go Fast!

Also gently caress TMP because it says impulse is warp .5 WHICH IS JUST RIDICULOUS MAN

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Jul 16, 2016

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

FilthyImp posted:

Also gently caress TMP because it says impulse is warp .5 WHICH IS JUST RIDICULOUS MAN

I watched a bit of TMP for the first time in over a decade the other day, and that was one of two things that bothered me (of the bit I saw). The other was the dirt on the lens in some of the beauty shots of the Enterprise leaving Spacedock.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Eventually TNG meets some aliens who only exist in warpspace and get really mad/die when stuff goes by them at speeds greater than Warp 5. So from that point onward the ships only travel at Warp 5 at most, to set some logistical limits on space travel in the stories. No idea if/when they dropped this.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Cojawfee posted:

I think it is good that they go fast in the first episode. If you can't go warp 10 and they go 9.7 in the first episode, writers can't do any stupid poo poo to try to make their episode be the fastest enterprise ever or whatever. Except for that one where the pedophile diddles Wesley and the ship goes fast.

I think the intended effect of not putting a number to "alien induced super speed" worked fine, but had the retarded/annoying side effect of constantly using decimal points to denote speed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

Eventually TNG meets some aliens who only exist in warpspace and get really mad/die when stuff goes by them at speeds greater than Warp 5.
They're not Warpliens, they just live in an area destabilized by massive amounts of warp traffic.
:goonsay:

Like dudes living by a highway saying "plz don't Roll Coal when you drive by because now all the birds are dead and the air quality sucks"