Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

*Aims at a beehive*

I don't know if each of them will get a Stand or if all of them will share one Stand, but that's why we have the scientific method.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
I can buy the idea that Akira stole the Stand Arrow just to test his drunken theories and possibly make songs about them.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

to be honest, a colony of bees would probably share a collective stand

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Waffleman_ posted:

*Aims at a beehive*

I don't know if each of them will get a Stand or if all of them will share one Stand, but that's why we have the scientific method.

Going back to my main babe Jotaro, I've seen people say he hit the lottery by getting Star Platinum as a Stand, which seems weird to me. Star Platinum manifested because of the type of person Jotaro is, he is immensely strong willed and incredibly in control of himself. Star Platinum's defining feature more so than even speed or strength is how precise he is. This fits with Jotaro's composure and Star even ends up being able to stop time which is arguably the ultimate form of control. Jotaro also walked down DIO despite knowing his ability and at that time had no idea he'd be able to counter it, how people argue he lucked out is beyond me.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Jotaro is weaker in part 4 than part 3 tbh

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
It's not that everyone is insinuating Jotaro got Star Platinum by luck, it does make sense, but gee it sure seems his Stand is a lot stronger and faster than like almost literally everyone else, that's convenient that this new boy on the block to get a Stand is better than like everyone around him. Like imagine if Jotaro got Bastet, the electric outlet Stand from Part 3, that would stink.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

100% it's the missing uniform. Also as mellow as he is now at least he still yells at those drat noisy women!

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Nah, Jotaro's just not as inventive now. If Part 3 Jotaro were fighting these rats he'd have loving iced them with like a rock or something without time stop. Part 4 Jotaro wouldn't even have taken a sword to the stomach like he did in part 3. Marine Biology has weakened him.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Jotaro got hella Gohan'd

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I cannot believe Trashboi Jotaro almost got murdered by freakin' rats.

Koichi could've saved them all with a well-placed "MEOW"

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Moltrey posted:

It's not that everyone is insinuating Jotaro got Star Platinum by luck, it does make sense, but gee it sure seems his Stand is a lot stronger and faster than like almost literally everyone else, that's convenient that this new boy on the block to get a Stand is better than like everyone around him. Like imagine if Jotaro got Bastet, the electric outlet Stand from Part 3, that would stink.

Seven year old Jotaro without a stand would still batter half the Stand users they met imho. Jotaro's is incredible at raw combat because he has enormous strength of spirit but also prior to the events of Stardust he says he fights a lot and often goes over the top against enemies. Honestly I think he might have the most strength of spirit because he is utterly fearless for the most part it seems and incredibly sure of himself. It's not to say he's the bravest or most noble or whatever but it's hard to imagine anyone other than Jonathan maybe facing up to DIO like he did.

Baal posted:

Nah, Jotaro's just not as inventive now. If Part 3 Jotaro were fighting these rats he'd have loving iced them with like a rock or something without time stop. Part 4 Jotaro wouldn't even have taken a sword to the stomach like he did in part 3. Marine Biology has weakened him.

He was holding back to help train Josuke, you can tell because he didn't even say "Good Grief".

standard owl
Jan 9, 2011

Johnny Joestar posted:

to be honest, a colony of bees would probably share a collective stand

shared by the entire hive, yet controlled by the queen bee, it's the stand [ SINGLE  LADIES ]

speaking of which, did it get explained in the manga why the two rats basically had the same stand? Did they actually share one stand, or did they happen to separately manifest duplicate stands?

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Clearly Kujo's are the best Joestar imprint and we need to pray to god Jotaro has a child.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

standard owl posted:

shared by the entire hive, yet controlled by the queen bee, it's the stand [ SINGLE  LADIES ]

speaking of which, did it get explained in the manga why the two rats basically had the same stand? Did they actually share one stand, or did they happen to separately manifest duplicate stands?

It's never explained, but you can prob just assume the latter happened since it's the same dealy with Purple Hermit in regards to Jonathan and Joseph.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Jotaro was actually under more pressure than Josuke was, he wanted his uncle to think he was cool.

standard owl posted:

It's never explained, but I've rationalized it as rats aren't mentally complex enough to even be able to manifest different Stands

Expect My Mom fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Jul 16, 2016

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

standard owl posted:

It's probably a shared stand. It doesn't happen very often but it's a thing. Stands can do or be anything.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

smoothnose jotaro is too stupid to stop time and fire off the bullet in stopped time like dio threw knives in stopped time

or just bring a frying pan and block the darts with those like idiot 'im gonna stick my hand into a mousetrap' josuke did

he has a nice jacket though

edit:
oh also grabbing a dart to see it's effects when he straight up saw a melted block of rats beforehand

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
In his defense, Jotaro has a habit of grabbing stuff quickly with Star Platinum like bullets, and also it looks cool as gently caress.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Jotaro was probably thinking about how sick it would be if he caught the stand bullet and then fired it back at the rat.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

yeah that's fair
grabbing the dart out of midair to style on a rat and then coming up with an excuse like 'uh i tried to see what effects it had' when it backfires badly is pretty in character

on the other hand smoothnose jotaro is the type of dude who'd pick up anubis immediately upon beating chaka and get possessed like a chump

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
we're taking the long road to the obvious conclusion of jotaro being a trashboi

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

EmmyOk posted:

Clearly Kujo's are the best Joestar imprint and we need to pray to god Jotaro has a child.

heh

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

smoothnose jotaro is the type of dude who'd keep punching yellow temperance after the initial bit because he wanted to see what would happen

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Jotaro always had a keen scientific mind because when he tries to shoot himself in the head he flinches which means he didn't know Star would catch the bullet.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

smoothnose jotaro is the type of dude who'd look into the flask n'doul was hiding in

smoothnose jotaro is the type of dude who wouldn't throw a dog

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012

Moltrey posted:

Jotaro was actually under more pressure than Josuke was, he wanted his uncle to think he was cool.

It's never explained, but I've rationalized it as rats aren't mentally complex enough to even be able to manifest different Stands

Hell the name of the stand is "Ratt".

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Sir, I know what it looks like, but I was not hunting these elephants. This is science.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

The bank finally found my 500 quid they lost so time to order all available JoJonium!

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
Am I the only one who felt kinda intimidated by those rats? Goddamn, that rat was the most fearsome Jojo villain yet.

fake edit:

Tunahead posted:

The whole encounter really plays into the way Diamond Is Unbreakable is a character study of weakness in villains. Bug-Eaten is a bigger threat than Dio and others because it doesn't have human weaknesses. It doesn't want to show off its superior Stand or rad guitar skills, or prove that Joestars suck before they die. It just wants to survive and kill its enemies, because it's a wild animal. Its Stand made Jotaro and Josuke run round and round in circles, and was only defeated because of narrative causality: What comes around, goes around.

Yeah, this nailed why those rats were such scary motherfuckers.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
That's why Pet Shop versus Iggy was so rough, just two animals loving going for it, and one was a terrifying murderbird that could go underwater

no they will not posted:

Hell the name of the stand is "Ratt".
lmao, i forgot the Stand's name was Ratt, real cool Stand design though

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Round and Round is a good song.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Also what's with the Kakyoin Milfhunter jokes?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

EmmyOk posted:

Rattus Rattus isn't stronger than DIO or whatever that's just how Araki wanted to grow the bond between Jotaro and Josuke imo. I like that Stands in this arc cause fits for objectively more powerful Stands but I do feel like Araki did that plenty in Stardust too.

It's not 'rock beats scissors' stronger it's Smash Bros tier lists stronger.

EmmyOk posted:

Jotaro always had a keen scientific mind because when he tries to shoot himself in the head he flinches which means he didn't know Star would catch the bullet.

It's a miracle he didn't give himself tinnitus.

Fereydun posted:

oh also grabbing a dart to see it's effects when he straight up saw a melted block of rats beforehand

Did he grab it by the barbs? I thought he caught the end?

RareAcumen fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Jul 16, 2016

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

gnome7 posted:

There was a lingering shot on exactly how cool and expensive his shoes look before he put them in his mouth and waded in barefoot. The way the anime told the joke was significantly better for the medium and Josuke's internal monologue from the manga would have made that scene worse.
Yeah. I miss the longer balls joke a bit but this was a really good episode. The rat is scary because it's so simple and doesn't have any motivation beyond surviving and killing things to eat, and it has a strong but simple ability to match.

Baal posted:

Jotaro is weaker in part 4 than part 3 tbh
He's literally weaker but as a character I think he's stronger.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

RareAcumen posted:

It's not 'rock beats scissors' stronger it's Smash Bros tier lists stronger.

I have never played smash brothers :saddowns:

Thanks brexit

standard owl
Jan 9, 2011

Now that Jotaro is no longer 1) an angry teen and 2) ostensibly the main protagonist, we can see him for what he truly is. Just like, a totally weird and awkward guy.

There is one scene in the coming weeks that really hammers this point home and by god I hope david does not cut it for time.

EmmyOk posted:

Also what's with the Kakyoin Milfhunter jokes?

When the Stardust gang are all gearing themselves up to go to Egypt and beat up DIO, Kakyoin's reason for doing so is basically "Holly-san is a beautiful mature woman and I would do anything to protect her smile and I would like to get married to someone like her one day"

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Actually all Jotaro's are great imho

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Kakyoin a couple of decades away from having the [S T A C Y S M O M] Stand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012

qfb

• Locked thread