Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Getting major Full Metal Jacket vibes from that short alien plane gunner.

"How can you kill Ewoks and Jawas?"

Easy! You just don't lead em as much!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

MeinPanzer posted:

https://vid.me/nUmJ

Click if you want to be frustrated. The guy films only the upper right corner of the screen for most of the trailer and almost all the shots we do see are recycled from the first teaser. I assume that a high quality version will be put up tonight or tomorrow.

Here's a marginally-better-shot cam version, though it turns out that we were only missing out on mostly more recycled shots (though there is a new shot of the 4-winged shuttle I didn't notice previously). Favorite part of the whole thing is still the use of Episode IV music at the beginning.

Speaking of Episode IV, this hasn't gotten nearly enough love:

https://vimeo.com/174847477

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Cross-Section posted:

that's amazing. :allears:

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

That's sick as gently caress.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do

Cross-Section posted:

Here's a marginally-better-shot cam version, though it turns out that we were only missing out on mostly more recycled shots (though there is a new shot of the 4-winged shuttle I didn't notice previously). Favorite part of the whole thing is still the use of Episode IV music at the beginning.

Is this an ad for that star wars online multiplayer game?

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do

MeinPanzer posted:

https://vid.me/nUmJ

Click if you want to be frustrated. The guy films only the upper right corner of the screen for most of the trailer and almost all the shots we do see are recycled from the first teaser. I assume that a high quality version will be put up tonight or tomorrow.

In case anyone was wondering where the promised "three-minute trailer" is, it was actually a sizzle reel:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HUb_zpdyDpU

Action and reaction is real important, it shouldn't be celebrated for sharing that myth that improvised comedy ends up in the final cut of movies.

The Peccadillo fucked around with this message at 09:06 on Jul 16, 2016

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Silver Brushes posted:

Getting major Full Metal Jacket vibes from that short alien plane gunner.

"How can you kill Ewoks and Jawas?"

Easy! You just don't lead em as much!

I've been saying that ever since I saw that. It's almost shot for shot.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

Cross-Section posted:

Wow that's really cool. I've always been a sucker for broken up comms and static for some reason. It's an easy way to convey desperation. Also drives home the point of the more grim nature Rogue One is supposed to have.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Holy poo poo Thrawn is canon

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Holy poo poo Thrawn is canon

My hope is that he stays in the interim period between Episode III and A New Hope. Since he's not been brought up in any of the third trilogy stuff, I don't see him making much of an impact past that.

I'm suddenly taken from all this that Disney seems to be taking a Mobile Suit Gundam approach to things, were you have a ton of stuff happening in One Year War period and post-war period before Zeta Gundam, but no real expansion on anything past that without ieither series creator Yoshiyuki Tomino being involved or being an alternate universe, with the recent exception of Unicorn Gundam.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
I can't wait for a 20 minute episode of Thrawn staring at a painting so he can figure out how to beat Kanan.

I guess they'd have to totally redo his story, too? Wasn't he basically out of town during the whole Galactic Civil War?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Jose Oquendo posted:

I can't wait for a 20 minute episode of Thrawn staring at a painting so he can figure out how to beat Kanan.

I guess they'd have to totally redo his story, too? Wasn't he basically out of town during the whole Galactic Civil War?

IIRC he had become a grand admiral relatively soon before the OT happens, so maybe they'll have him as a captain or some other rank so he's not quite as infamous yet. LOL they should go with Director Thrawn so they have an excuse to still have him in a white uniform.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

They literally call him "Grand Admiral Thrawn" in the trailer, though.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Jose Oquendo posted:

It's pretty easy to take a character out of the action and keep him in limbo until you want him again in a universe where they literally have machine that can do it.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
All I remember about Thrawn is he was blue, the art thing, his secret weapon against Jedi was lizards and getting shanked by a bootleg Wookie. Oh, and for an Imperial his employee evaluations were fairly reasonable.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

For whatever reason it has already been said in the New Canon that the period between the Battle of Jakku and TFA was a period of peace. Which is kind of bullshit and boring. So unless it's all in the Unknown Regions (which would make sense) Thrawn couldn't have done anything in those 30 years.

Timothy Zhan has announced that he is writing a new book titled Thrawn. No word on when it takes place.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Young Freud posted:

I'm suddenly taken from all this that Disney seems to be taking a Mobile Suit Gundam approach to things, were you have a ton of stuff happening in One Year War period and post-war period before Zeta Gundam, but no real expansion on anything past that without ieither series creator Yoshiyuki Tomino being involved or being an alternate universe, with the recent exception of Unicorn Gundam.

You're probably going to want to elaborate, as I'm sure no one else knows wtf you're talking about here.

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

DERRRRRPPP what are picture threads for????

Just read on makingstarwars that Bail was spotted in the trailer, and it does appear to be Jimmy Smits

Even more excited for Rogue One

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Frame of said trailer where Bail Organa was spotted:

Looks like the guy for sure.

Cross-Section fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Jul 16, 2016

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Thrawn is Snoke

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
This is the spoiler thread

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Cardboard Box A posted:

Thrawn is Snoke

God doesn't like us enough to let that happen.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Good to see Smits back. He's a great actor and it was a shame he had so little to do in the prequels. Can't wait for the scene where he decides to fly back to Alderaan for whatever reason.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

You're probably going to want to elaborate, as I'm sure no one else knows wtf you're talking about here.

You really want me to do this?

Okay, Mobile Suit Gundam is this evergreen anime series, very analogous already to Star Wars because of the time frame when it debuted, 1979, as well as sharing themes and tropes, like the Force and Newtypes, lightsabers and beam sabers, teenage heroes, evil stormtrooping empires, and masked villains with mysterious pasts. Like the original Star Wars movie, it spawned a number of sequel series headed by it's lead creator, Yoshiyuki Tomino, considered a wunderkind in Japan's animation industry: Zeta Gundam, ZZ Gundam and the film Char's Counterattack (or, should I say "Char Strikes Back" since the kanji used is the same for Empire Strike Back).

Anyway, CCA comes out, Tomino basically ended the series by killing off the two lead characters who had been throughout most of the series. Since Bandai has this whole franchise going for almost a decade, with model kits and toys and everything, they commission Sunrise, their in-house animation studio, to begin develop a new series without the input of Tomino (much like Disney buying out Lucas' rights to the films) to keep things going. These series, 0080: War In The Pocket and later, 0083: Stardust Memories, are set during or in the aftermath of the One Year War of the original series, an apocalyptic conflict with key battles that main characters of that initial series only saw small pieces of despite being prime movers of the action. The One Year War was also a favorite of many fan-fiction writers and even Bandai, in their need for marketing, created unseen mobile suits (giant robots) and characters during the conflict, expanding the lore. Follow-up series, such as 08th MS Team, MS Igloo, and the current Gundam Thunderbolt explored different aspects of the One Year War, but sequels to the initial seemed to be in the realm of Tomino, who returned for the film Gundam F91, set 30 years following CCA, and later the series Victory Gundam, set twenty years after F91, and even later, Turn A Gundam, which is set so far in the future it's that Futurama trope where Earth civilization has been destroyed and rebuilt back to 19th century standard of technology and is on the verge of destruction again by space people.

Concurrently, Bandai began to feel limited by going back to the One Year War, working under Tomino, and because neither would really allow for multiple Gundams to appear, which are the big sellers of the franchise, they went back to Sunrise and commissioned "alternate universes" so they can have more than one hero robot in the show, instead of just the Gundam and some allies and villain robots. With the AU series, they can have Gundam vs. Gundam battles and sell a whole lot of toys and model kits, because all Gundam pilots are heroes in their own right. I won't get into all of them, but the AU series meet with varied success, some popular, some not as much, and most Gundam fans would like to return to the Universal Century, the original Gundam universe.

Flash-forward to 2009, 30th anniversary of the original Gundam. Tomino doesn't really want to do Gundam anymore, he's older, he's fed up, he looks back at some of the stuff he did before when he was a nihilistic 40s when he was known as "Kill 'Em All Tomino" and the last Gundam project he did, a film update of Zeta Gundam, he rewrote and redirected new scenes but spliced into old footage which wasn't well received. Doesn't want anything to do with anymore, rather work on new projects. A couple years earlier, there was a Gundam novel written by Harutoshi Fukui, a man described as "Japanese Tom Clancy", that is set a few years following CCA and it's got some popularity to it, so they adapt it into a new series, Gundam Unicorn. This gets everyone excited again for Universal Century Gundam that when Tomino does return to Gundam, his Recognista in G is pretty much overlooked.

Like I said, it's interesting just going over this in how Gundam continues to Star Wars.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Young Freud posted:

Fuckloads of :words:

Holy poo poo he was being facetious/dismissive, no one cares.

On the Thrawn front, it wouldn't surprise me if they make it such that he has a hand in the founding of the First Order or something.

If Zahn is back, maybe Mara Jade or another Emperor's Hand equivalent will be, too... Maybe that's Rey's mom? Highly unlikely, but you never know since they're keeping so much of the old stuff on the sly (like all of the KOTOR stuff).

As long as they leave anything KJA did dead. Holy poo poo that guy was a cancer on the EU, and 90% of why it rapidly devolved into utter poo poo.

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

DERRRRRPPP what are picture threads for????

Disney made it clear too that they would slowly incorporate what they felt were good parts of EU back into canon, and people still lost their minds.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Change is a nerds most hated and feared enemy

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Timothy Zhan has announced that he is writing a new book titled Thrawn. No word on when it takes place.

I can't look it up at the moment, but I'm pretty sure Zahn said it's going to lead up to his appearance in Rebels.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

thrawn527 posted:

I can't look it up at the moment, but I'm pretty sure Zahn said it's going to lead up to his appearance in Rebels.

You need to update your avatar.

Make the Empire great again.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

I cant decide if I want this version of Dash Rendar to be canon

or this one

or this one

but def not this one

or this one

well maybe this one

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Chris pratt to star in stand alone dash rendar film

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
I love how they've got his massive quilted shoulder pads perfect no matter the incarnation.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

They are 90s as gently caress

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

zVxTeflon posted:

I cant decide if I want this version of Dash Rendar to be canon

or this one

or this one

but def not this one

or this one

well maybe this one

None, because Dash Rendar loving sucks.

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'
Top choice for Dash Brodar.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
Does xizor exist in canon? I know his race does since a bunch of them chaired a black sun meeting that only one survived wp I assumed was xizor. (They all got taken out by a saberstaff thrown the length of a dining table by a guy named savage oppress, the name that beats star wars. Cool scene Though!)

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

ShineDog posted:

Does xizor exist in canon? I know his race does since a bunch of them chaired a black sun meeting that only one survived wp I assumed was xizor. (They all got taken out by a saberstaff thrown the length of a dining table by a guy named savage oppress, the name that beats star wars. Cool scene Though!)

None of Shadows is canon thus far other than Black Sun and Falleen as things that exist.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
I know shadows isn't, but they feature heavily in a cw arc which is. I just can't remember is xizor gets namedropped. I had assumed he Was the guy maul let live.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mkoPq5AOCOA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
I hope Thrawn is just a regular-rear end human or extreme alien a la Dexter Jettster or the werewolf cantina alien because regular human but the color of not regular human is too lame/Star Trek-like.

• Locked thread