Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED

Firebert posted:

Masteries are fine, it takes like 10-15 seconds to fill out your page after you pick your champion and the choices are more or less obvious

I agree, I like masteries, they allow a reasonable amount of customization that is somewhat visible in game. Runes are totally the opposite and are dumb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?

Firebert posted:

Masteries are fine, it takes like 10-15 seconds to fill out your page after you pick your champion and the choices are more or less obvious

Any choice that is more or less obvious is a meaningless choice, and is superfluous to the game. They need to remove things of that nature.

Radical
Apr 6, 2011

i wonder if you cut out the minor masteries entirely and did what WoW did (multiple talents per tier, pick one, each level independent of the others) how that would feel. some of the major mastery tiers they have now are pretty decent but since they only compete against one other mastery the choice is made for you a lot of the time.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.
Ideally you would just lock in four blocks of stats based on lane matchup before a game based on who you are playing. At high levels of play guys will have like three different Rumble pages. Regular people who play all five roles can't really budget pages in this way. I've had 20 pages and all the runes forever and I still feel like I have to parcel them out carefully when I make minor changes every patch and drop out special pages for anyone I haven't used recently because they are a waste.

I also like to try any weird variants that pop up in Korean pro play. Exethan and I have both used the ADC page that one of guys on Ever used recently which was:

5x as red / 4x ad red / 9x flat or scaling health yellow / 9x mr blue / 2x armor 1x Ls quint

E: I think he used some AS blues but I absolutely refuse to use those because they are terrible slot efficiency compared to the red ones.

His other page was the same except swap health for armor and AR quints for AS quints

Both pages felt really solid to me. But again you have to room in your rune book to do experiments and most people don't. I do experiments with runes all the time.

stump collector
May 28, 2007
It's a good page

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

here's my new rune/mastery system:

every champ has three, iunno, 'aspect' options.

each 'aspect' comes with a keystone, a block of stats, and some random bonuses

so like trundle's aspects would be

Fervor of battle, +attack speed, armor, and mr, +7% armor pen, +15% neutral buff duration

grasp of the undying, +ad, armor, and mr, 15% summoner spell reduction, +50% health regen

bond of stone, +health, armor, and mr, +50% health regen, get gold when a nearby enemy minion dies and when you hit the enemy

obviously those aren't perfect but you get the idea

you pick the aspects in champ select after picking your champ and skin

Meat Recital
Mar 26, 2009

by zen death robot

Zero The Hero posted:

I think the real issue is that they'd be virtually impossible to remove. They asked too many people to invest their IP into runes and runepages to remove them now.

Well, they could refund the IP but they'll never do that so..

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004

SlyFrog posted:

Any choice that is more or less obvious is a meaningless choice, and is superfluous to the game. They need to remove things of that nature.

The choices are obvious but not meaningless when you're making them to fit the matchup or your role on the team.

Safety Scissors
Feb 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Every time I see one of those "Help us improve things" I always do it. In the second text box on why you would or wouldn't recommend league, I go with like a 3 and say rune pages are too expensive and should cost 4800 ip. You should do this too.

If they ever get lowered to 4800 ip, I'll do the same thing but say 3150 instead and so on.

Giodo!
Oct 29, 2003

Rune pages costing IP has always boggled my mind. It seems like a huge disincentive to getting people to spend even more IP on runes.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.

Giodo! posted:

Rune pages costing IP has always boggled my mind. It seems like a huge disincentive to getting people to spend even more IP on runes.

It's a totally obvious way to force people to spend money on the game. It probably makes them a lot of money.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Runepages are the closet thing they got to buying ingame power since a couple extra pages gives you room to customize to your opponent, heavy AP? MR blues and scaling health, AD? CDR blues and flat or scaling armor.

And with only the 2 default pages you basically have to give up playing one type of champ or play them very suboptimally, you can play with a basic AP champ page and a ADC page, but if you want to play garen or something you got to play him with attack speed quints instead of AD or armor pen.

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

Giodo! posted:

it is literally the most brilliant thing i have ever seen regarding microtransactions. people HATE pay2win games, and runes are basically mandatory for certain roles, and there are different rune pages for other roles, so it is mandatory to get runes to play the game. but since you need both champions and runes to play the game and be competitive(have you ever played without runes? i feel like a loving caveman) there is this absolutely massive incentive to buying champions with RP that you do not even feel like it is there.

yeah, the champions cost a fair deal of IP, but the runes make IP feel far more scarce than it actually is without coming across as a pay2win microtransaction game. in terms of business decisions making the runes cost IP only is probably the best one riot has ever done.

Mystery Prize
Nov 7, 2010
Turns out new Ryze is the best splitpusher ever

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x7AL0rxmBAM

A+ balancing team Riot

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

prediction: they nerf ryze into the ground and never touch him for the rest of the game's life

henkman
Oct 8, 2008

Mystery Prize posted:

A+ balancing team Riot

really loving stupid lol

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
Prediction: they make him into an AD tank who yells is this what passes for War!?!

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
NexusSiege is weird

and bad

Kashuno fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Jul 16, 2016

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT

Kashuno posted:

NexusSiege is weird

and bad

its fun if you play an ADC because you get your three items in like, 6 minutes

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

Mystery Prize posted:

A+ balancing team Riot

*weeping tears of joy* i love league of legends. i love league.

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT

Mystery Prize posted:

A+ balancing team Riot

gotta love Ryze completely ignoring Zhonya's usually massive weakness

general anime
Jan 8, 2013

by Lowtax
i am glad ghostcrawler added bubble hearthing to league of legends

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Mystery Prize posted:

A+ balancing team Riot

They have to patch that out right?

Right? :ohdear:

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

general anime posted:

lol

Hashtag Yoloswag
Mar 24, 2013

...I'm sorry. I can't seem to remember any of the rest.
okay trist is definitely a massive sack of poo poo until she has 3 items and level 10 or so but after that she's probably the most fun i've had playing adc

i kind of wish they hadn't removed the reset mechanics on her Q and E tho

Voxx
Jul 28, 2009

I'll give 'em a hold
and a break to breathe
And if they can't play nice
I won't play with 'em at all

general anime posted:

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
nexus siege sounds like a dumb version of bilgewater brawl

i miss bilgebrawl items, why isnt it in the game rotator thing

Radical
Apr 6, 2011

like, i think its actually impossible they could have overlooked that zhonya's interaction and must have specifically made it work like that but i can't fathom why

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Logically it makes sense; his ult is supposed to teleport all allied units that aren't structures. Zhonyas makes you untargetable and immune to damage/CC, but you're still an allied unit.

It just speaks to how stupid this ult is. Incoming AP Splitpusher/Teleport Ryze meta.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
so apparently we killed the enemies nexus way faster than the enemy did (we got it in 12 minutes, they got ours with 30 seconds left), but we lose apparently

what

anti-magic
Sep 9, 2012

We've come up in the ram-raiding business, Owl.
It's all high class now.
No more baby seats.

Mystery Prize posted:

A+ balancing team Riot

:riot:

Cannot wait to see how they kneecap him and what his next rework will be like.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Neurolimal posted:

so apparently we killed the enemies nexus way faster than the enemy did (we got it in 12 minutes, they got ours with 30 seconds left), but we lose apparently

what

2nd round timer is not 20 min, it's the first round clear time

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

you are a real hero, you know that? you are doing great things.

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

pog boyfriend posted:

you are a real hero, you know that? you are doing great things.

It's a shame that the PBE changes make the heal boost unique.

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

kirtar posted:

It's a shame that the PBE changes make the heal boost unique.

riot always gets salty whenever there is a semi viable build revolving around stacking items. they nerfed dunkmaster yi into the ground, quadrangels heimerdinger, ryze of ages, and now ardent censraka. it just goes to show you that there is nothing sacred in this world and you should cherish the joy you see around you.

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

pog boyfriend posted:

riot always gets salty whenever there is a semi viable build revolving around stacking items. they nerfed dunkmaster yi into the ground, quadrangels heimerdinger, ryze of ages, and now ardent censraka. it just goes to show you that there is nothing sacred in this world and you should cherish the joy you see around you.

At least let us stack censer with mikaels :(

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.

Mystery Prize posted:

A+ balancing team Riot

Kindred/Ryze tilt combos

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal