Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
What's the focal length on those? Is the horse head nebula really visible without a telescope given a long enough exposure? Or were you using a telescope?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Choicecut posted:

Stack of 10x360sec, 15x180sec. Dark subtraction.

Horsehead & Flame Nebula by Eli J, on Flickr

These are nothing compared to a lot of AP stuff, but I am still proud of them.

Not really long exposure, but solar filters are fun to play with too:

Venus Transit - June 6, 2012 by Eli J, on Flickr

So good! Awesome shots!

I'd like to get into doing some astrophoto stuff, but I'm scared I'll just go over the top and burn through a fortune..

Choicecut
Apr 24, 2002
"I don't want to sound gay or anything, but I'd really like to have sex with you tonight.
I like postcards too."

--Choicecut, TYOOL 2016

BANME.sh posted:

What's the focal length on those? Is the horse head nebula really visible without a telescope given a long enough exposure? Or were you using a telescope?

Those were taken through a StellarVue 80mm refractor, so I think 480mm focal length @f/6. You can do ap stuff without a telescope, but you really need a way to track to get usable results. Looking at this stuff with naked eye looks nothing like a photo. I remember when I got my first telescope, an Orion etx90, and looked at Andromeda. It was really cool and amazing, but at the same time a let down cause it was just a faint white smudge.

I've been considering something called an astrotrac:
http://astrotrac.com
I've sen some incredible results uaing one of those and a camera. Especially wide angle where they take multiple exposure stacks and stitch them together to make incredible sky maps.

toggle posted:

So good! Awesome shots!

I'd like to get into doing some astrophoto stuff, but I'm scared I'll just go over the top and burn through a fortune..

I had around 4500 in all my stuff and thanks! It was a very frustrating but rewarding experience. I started having kids and sold all my gear because it wasn't getting used. I plan to dive back in someday.

Choicecut fucked around with this message at 12:03 on Jun 23, 2016

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Doing the Perseids this year, off in northern New Mexico.

I've done some star time lapse in the past so I'm not going into it completely green.. I'm more curious about rules of thumb for getting good results out of a meteor shower or fun things to try.

I only have one body so am thinking that a single composition with long star trails is not in the cards, I am gonna want to move around a bit more and play around with composition with mountain ranges.

johnli
Jul 16, 2004
So there was a storm last night...

Lightning June 22nd 2016 (1 of 4) by John Linford, on Flickr

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

johnli posted:

I've seen that dog posted before (possibly by you?) but I love that it looks like s/he's scared by the lightning.

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

johnli posted:

:britain:

Anarkii
Dec 30, 2008

Milkyway over Yosemite by Zrave, on Flickr

Would have preferred a more unobstructed view, but from the valley floor it was difficult to find any

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Anarkii posted:

Milkyway over Yosemite by Zrave, on Flickr

Would have preferred a more unobstructed view, but from the valley floor it was difficult to find any

Do you really have a 50mm/f1.0 or is the metadata crazy?

Anarkii
Dec 30, 2008
It was the Samyang 12mm f/2. It's a full manual lens, so the exif doesn't record the focal length and aperture correctly

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib
I don't think I put these here. So here they are.

Untitled by Jason Martin, on Flickr

Untitled by Jason Martin, on Flickr

oldmandon
Feb 10, 2004

OMG! It's OMD!
This photo made it to Explore today. First time that's happened to me. Crazy.

Westward Ho (Explored!) by Alex C., on Flickr

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

had some nice weather roll through tonight

20160708-DSC_2678 by revbleech, on Flickr

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Like glass by Spookygonk, on Flickr

Laying down in front of some illuminated low pressure fountains on my town seafront, trying to find focus,
while all sorts of people were wandering around me playing Pokémon Go.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

I'm not sure 1/800 is considered long exposure :v:

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Wafflecopper posted:

I'm not sure 1/800 is considered long exposure :v:

It was night time though.

Dr. Kayak Paddle
May 10, 2006

Testing out a pretty slow 15mm at night.

Moonlit Mt. Gillen by DirtyFalcon, on Flickr

tau
Mar 20, 2003

Sigillum Universitatis Kansiensis

Untitled by Ryan Sees What, on Flickr

I need to work on this star trails stuff. This was 11 minutes.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Do you have PhotoPills? Presuming you have an iPhone it's a must have. There's a star trails section on there that'll help with your timings.

tau
Mar 20, 2003

EL BROMANCE posted:

Do you have PhotoPills? Presuming you have an iPhone it's a must have. There's a star trails section on there that'll help with your timings.

I do now! Assuming it stays clear, this will probably be the last night this week that I can get decent attempts here. Thanks!

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

Mt Stromlo Observatory.

Canon 550D w/Magic Lantern, EFS18-55mm
5x 18mm 25s f/3.5 ISO5000
and maybe a trespassing charge.

oldmandon
Feb 10, 2004

OMG! It's OMD!

Lightning over north Phoenix, on Flickr

tau
Mar 20, 2003

Managed to get one last good night while on vacation.

Untitled by Ryan Sees What, on Flickr

Dr. Kayak Paddle
May 10, 2006

Decent for using a super slow f/4.5

Milky Way Center by DirtyFalcon, on Flickr

MilkyWayMtGillen by DirtyFalcon, on Flickr

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

20s f3.5 ISO3200
Taken at a star party in the northern suburbs of Canberra.
Pushed the saturation for Facebook.

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

Night sky in Jasper, AB by Steven Sarginson, on Flickr

Business of Ferrets
Mar 2, 2008

Good to see that everything is back to normal.

Milky Way from Minaret Vista by Business Ferrets, on Flickr

I really wish I were better at PS.

voodoorootbeer
Nov 8, 2004

We may have years, we may have hours, but sooner or later we push up flowers.

Business of Ferrets posted:

Milky Way from Minaret Vista by Business Ferrets, on Flickr

I really wish I were better at PS.

IDK, I kinda dig it

huhu
Feb 24, 2006
For those that are unaware.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...s-how-to-watch/

Choicecut
Apr 24, 2002
"I don't want to sound gay or anything, but I'd really like to have sex with you tonight.
I like postcards too."

--Choicecut, TYOOL 2016

Rain and Clouds for the next 10 days where I am :(. Had the 20x80s out over weekend and did some gazing though.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<
It might deserve a new thread, but I don't have time to do it - who's checking out tonight's meteor shower? From everything I'm reading it should be a hell of a show.

http://gizmodo.com/how-to-watch-the-exceptional-perseid-meteor-shower-toni-1785145218

http://www.space.com/32868-perseid-meteor-shower-guide.html

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2016/08/10/489491194/this-years-perseid-meteor-shower-is-going-to-be-quite-a-show-heres-how-to-watch

huhu
Feb 24, 2006

I'm charging up my gear now. Just bought myself a 6 pack as well.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<
I had the six pack, charged batteries, bug spray ... in the end, though, I have to say I was just a little disappointed. "200 per hour in ideal conditions" became "50, maybe, across four hours." Which don't get me wrong, that's a loving lot of meteors, and 50 more than I'm used to seeing on any given night, but it just wasn't the apocalyptic show I'd built it up to be.

It's funny, too, how little of the sky you can actually cover, even at 11mm. Meteors I thought were dead center in my field of view didn't make it in at all.

jackpot fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Aug 12, 2016

huhu
Feb 24, 2006
I used spray and pray, got some garbage pictures of clouds and a half decent shot. I miss living in the middle of nowhere Panama if only for the star photography.

DSC08657 by Esa Foto, on Flickr

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

jackpot posted:

I had the six pack, charged batteries, bug spray ... in the end, though, I have to say I was just a little disappointed. "200 per hour in ideal conditions" became "50, maybe, across four hours." Which don't get me wrong, that's a loving lot of meteors, and 50 more than I'm used to seeing on any given night, but it just wasn't the apocalyptic show I'd built it up to be.

It's funny, too, how little of the sky you can actually cover, even at 11mm. Meteors I thought were dead center in my field of view didn't make it in at all.

Yeah, same. There were a ton of people out in a local park, and then at 2am the sprinklers started.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

Not sure I have the patience to do it too often, but it was fun:

huhu
Feb 24, 2006
This was pretty cool though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xGdm4JEb3iY

PREYING MANTITS
Mar 13, 2003

and that's how you get ants.
Spent about an hour watching the show. Saw tons in directions I wasn't pointing the camera but managed to get a few. This was the brightest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
Spent about an hour as well but was too early I think (only about midnight) because I only saw maybe half a dozen in that entire timespan. Managed to get a couple that I am 99% sure they're planes or satellites and definitely not meteors :)