Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.

SquadronROE posted:

Hey. I'm keeping my current Verizon plan but I'm coming up on being out of contract so I could swap out my phone for something newer.

What I have now: Moto X
Use cases: I use my phone for bluetooth connectivity to my car (Prius, if it matters), and listen to podcasts/use GPS. I use GPS very heavily from my phone. I also do the normal phone-things: check Facebook, e-mail, Twitter, Slack, Spotify, etc. So mostly bluetooth connectivity and Maps.
Secondary use: Camera is somewhat important since I use that quite often
Budget: $300-500

I'd prefer to stick with an Android because I love the integration with Google maps, and it helps a lot when I'm trying to find a place to eat. But I could be convinced to jump to an iPhone.

What's the current hotness? I've been pretty happy with my Moto X, but it's showing its age. It's getting slow, the battery life is paltry (it can maybe last 3 hours off-charger now).

Anyone got any recommendations? My current phone got dropped by someone who may be me, and so replacing it looks like a likely thing. What's the current flagship Android phone?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

You should probably get an iPhone SE, really.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.

Endless Mike posted:

You should probably get an iPhone SE, really.

I was thinking about it, but I've been cautioned that the Maps functionality isn't as rich since it doesn't pull from the Google database as readily.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

It doesn't pull from Google at all. But Google Maps is in the app store

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
Just upgraded from a Droid Turbo to an S7 Edge. I didn't do a tremendous amount of research, but I saw that the Droid Turbo 2 (which was what I had planned to get) didn't get that great of reviews and that the s7/s7 Edge was mentioned in several places as being the phone to get at the moment.

Just looking for confirmation that I made a solid choice?

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

-Blackadder- posted:

Just upgraded from a Droid Turbo to an S7 Edge. I didn't do a tremendous amount of research, but I saw that the Droid Turbo 2 (which was what I had planned to get) didn't get that great of reviews and that the s7/s7 Edge was mentioned in several places as being the phone to get at the moment.

That is the "money is no object" Android phone to get.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

-Blackadder- posted:

most of what I've heard about the edge is that the edge bit is a gimmick and not very useful, and because of the design its easier to break and that the s7 is the better choice of the two

agreeing with the poster above me also

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
What I have now: HTC One (2013)
Use cases: 25% social media and online browsing (news sites, email, the forums, etc), 25% listening to podcasts. 50% camera -- it's pretty much the only camera I use in any given situation.
Secondary use: GPS/maps, taking memos and texting, some games (mostly the Dragon Quest games and KenKen)
Budget: n/a

Really it comes down to the Nexus 6P or the Samsung S7 Edge. I can get the former for $0 on a two year contract or the latter for $100.00 on a two year contract. Same data plan and monthly price otherwise.

My biggest concern with the 6P is that the size makes it more prone to damage. I have no experience with Huawei and am unfamiliar with their build quality. I'm used to shoving the HTC One in my pocket and not worrying about it, but the 6P feels much less sturdy in hand. However, the camera sounds solid and I like the idea of a barebones Android phone without the manufacturer fluff -- I don't think I made use of any of HTC's 'quality of life' features.

An S7 is also available for $0.00, so with the S7E I feel like I'm paying extra a larger screen (but I do want a larger screen than my HTC One). I otherwise don't care about the Edge-specific features. Biggest draw for Samsung is perceived reliability/build quality and having a newer, slightly more future proofed phone with a slightly better camera versus the 6P. It feels sturdier than the 6P but both feel flimsier than my One. The microSD card slot sounds nice on paper but I doubt I'd ever use it.

TimWinter
Mar 30, 2015

https://timsthebomb.com
Whats the word on the street on Ubuntu phones? I'm a developer who would appreciate a terminal and root privileges on my android, but I'm not super excited to learn android in my spare time.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
My friend has 2 lines and 2 phones on T-Mobile, looking to upgrade one of the phones and get a better rate. Is Metro PCS a viable alterative to cross shop? As in, she can take her T-Mobile phones over?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

the trump tutelage posted:

Really it comes down to the Nexus 6P or the Samsung S7 Edge. I can get the former for $0 on a two year contract or the latter for $100.00 on a two year contract. Same data plan and monthly price otherwise.

My biggest concern with the 6P is that the size makes it more prone to damage. I have no experience with Huawei and am unfamiliar with their build quality. I'm used to shoving the HTC One in my pocket and not worrying about it, but the 6P feels much less sturdy in hand. However, the camera sounds solid and I like the idea of a barebones Android phone without the manufacturer fluff -- I don't think I made use of any of HTC's 'quality of life' features.

An S7 is also available for $0.00, so with the S7E I feel like I'm paying extra a larger screen (but I do want a larger screen than my HTC One). I otherwise don't care about the Edge-specific features. Biggest draw for Samsung is perceived reliability/build quality and having a newer, slightly more future proofed phone with a slightly better camera versus the 6P. It feels sturdier than the 6P but both feel flimsier than my One. The microSD card slot sounds nice on paper but I doubt I'd ever use it.
Not really sure what to tell you. The 6P is probably the smart choice here. It'll be supported longer and better than either of the Samsungs, though if camera is important then one of the Samsungs isn't a bad choice. Also don't forget the Note 5, which might actually be a better option if you're taking lots of memos, though I imagine a replacement is due out shortly (looks like it was released August of last year), so that might not be the best choice.

TimWinter posted:

Whats the word on the street on Ubuntu phones? I'm a developer who would appreciate a terminal and root privileges on my android, but I'm not super excited to learn android in my spare time.
Non-existent.

Nitrox posted:

My friend has 2 lines and 2 phones on T-Mobile, looking to upgrade one of the phones and get a better rate. Is Metro PCS a viable alterative to cross shop? As in, she can take her T-Mobile phones over?
Metro PCS is owned by T-Mobile and they share all their tech now that the legacy CDMA stuff has been shut down. As long as her phones are unlocked, they'll work fine.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
I have a complex situation. I live in rural Alaska (Although the people that live in actual rural Alaska would disagree, the appropriate term for my region is "railbelt"), which complicates matters enough as it is without throwing technology I don't completely understand into the mix.

My household (consisting of myself and my 70-year-old mother) is currently on someone else's AT&T plan, which is ending at the end of this month. It came with an AT&T branded Pantech P6030 which annoys me every time I have to use it (The touchscreen is touchy: it keeps answering calls as I take it out of my pocket, turning off while I'm trying to press buttons, and following links when I try to scroll.), but is nonetheless suitable for the household's mobile phone and data needs (Around three calls a week lasting perhaps ten minutes each, occasional googling of something).

Since our service is ending, I'm under no obligation to continue using AT&T. For preference, I'd like to switch to the local phone company, MTA. It looks like they're using Verizon's network just from the big logo on that "premium wireless retailer" thing. If someone has a better idea for me, though, I'm all ears. The voice usage is probably not going to change, but if we get a better phone, we will probably be using more data.

On the topic of a better phone, we've decided we want two phones for the household so we can call each other if we both happen to be out and about. My mother is content with the Pantech (Assuming for the moment we wouldn't have to return it to AT&T), but I want something more robust. Like many people buying new phones currently, I'd like it to work with Pokemon Go, but that's about all I know. That might change the data plan we require.

We don't have a budget for this, it's a matter of finding whatever money we need to make it go. My mother gave me the tentative guideline of "as cheap as possible", but the last time she did that, we wound up with a digital camera that none of us were happy with.

To reiterate:
-Whichever network is best in railbelt Alaska for light voice and light to moderate data use.
-Whatever phone will work with Pokemon Go, other features negotiable.
-As cheap as possible.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

For MTA to be the cheaper option over AT&T, I'd hate to imagine the prices AT&T is charging.

Anyway, as I see no phones for sale on that site I have to imagine they want you to buy a Verizon-compatible phone and bring it to them and that limits your options considerably. By comparison, almost every phone in the world is AT&T compatible. If it was me, I'd stick with AT&T and get two Motorola G4 Plusses or Nexus 5x's depending on your budget but maybe I'm way off.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Dareon posted:

I have a complex situation. I live in rural Alaska (Although the people that live in actual rural Alaska would disagree, the appropriate term for my region is "railbelt"), which complicates matters enough as it is without throwing technology I don't completely understand into the mix.

My household (consisting of myself and my 70-year-old mother) is currently on someone else's AT&T plan, which is ending at the end of this month. It came with an AT&T branded Pantech P6030 which annoys me every time I have to use it (The touchscreen is touchy: it keeps answering calls as I take it out of my pocket, turning off while I'm trying to press buttons, and following links when I try to scroll.), but is nonetheless suitable for the household's mobile phone and data needs (Around three calls a week lasting perhaps ten minutes each, occasional googling of something).

Since our service is ending, I'm under no obligation to continue using AT&T. For preference, I'd like to switch to the local phone company, MTA. It looks like they're using Verizon's network just from the big logo on that "premium wireless retailer" thing. If someone has a better idea for me, though, I'm all ears. The voice usage is probably not going to change, but if we get a better phone, we will probably be using more data.

On the topic of a better phone, we've decided we want two phones for the household so we can call each other if we both happen to be out and about. My mother is content with the Pantech (Assuming for the moment we wouldn't have to return it to AT&T), but I want something more robust. Like many people buying new phones currently, I'd like it to work with Pokemon Go, but that's about all I know. That might change the data plan we require.

We don't have a budget for this, it's a matter of finding whatever money we need to make it go. My mother gave me the tentative guideline of "as cheap as possible", but the last time she did that, we wound up with a digital camera that none of us were happy with.

To reiterate:
-Whichever network is best in railbelt Alaska for light voice and light to moderate data use.
-Whatever phone will work with Pokemon Go, other features negotiable.
-As cheap as possible.

Yeah, I would search and compare reviews of ATT vs Verizon in your area coverage wise. Then I would compare the plans between the two of them for two phones. There really aren't other options in your neck of the woods, so it mostly comes down to coverage. The Nexus 5x works on either network and is cheaper than phones either carrier sells and can play Pokemon go. So if you pick that phone, you already have the phone picked out, you just have to pick the carrier.

GenericGirlName
Apr 10, 2012

Why did you post that?
I've got a friend who is in a tight situation and her current phone is completely making GBS threads the bed. She can't afford to buy a new phone and is expecting to be gifted a new one in a few weeks, but in the mean time really needs a phone. Does there exist an incredibly terrible ~$50 phone I can buy for her in the mean time? It literally just needs to be able to text and make calls. I think her current plan is straight talk ( I am getting confirmation ) and I don't know it's rules about switching phones or if they use SIM cards.

Also I say $50 phone but tbh money is no object on getting her the garbage temporary phone I just know she's going to pitch a fit if I don't keep it as cheap as possible. :rolleyes:

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

GenericGirlName posted:

I've got a friend who is in a tight situation and her current phone is completely making GBS threads the bed. She can't afford to buy a new phone and is expecting to be gifted a new one in a few weeks, but in the mean time really needs a phone. Does there exist an incredibly terrible ~$50 phone I can buy for her in the mean time? It literally just needs to be able to text and make calls. I think her current plan is straight talk ( I am getting confirmation ) and I don't know it's rules about switching phones or if they use SIM cards.

Also I say $50 phone but tbh money is no object on getting her the garbage temporary phone I just know she's going to pitch a fit if I don't keep it as cheap as possible. :rolleyes:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Straight-Talk-Moto-E-XT830C-Prepaid-Smartphone/39443649

Straight Talk has the same phone on their website for the same price

GenericGirlName
Apr 10, 2012

Why did you post that?

EugeneJ posted:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Straight-Talk-Moto-E-XT830C-Prepaid-Smartphone/39443649

Straight Talk has the same phone on their website for the same price

:krad:
I probably should have been able to find that on my own. Thanks kind goon.

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
so I'll try to be oblique.
Hi all, I need a new phone after 5 years of using an HTC 001 Desire HT (Softbank phone).

I'm back in the states with no provider and no usable phone. I need:

- An Android device between $200-$400.
- A phone compatible around the world, something in which I can swap SIMs easily.
- Any recommendations for setting myself up with a pre-paid setup.

My current phone can't be used, as it's not compatible on US networks (and also Softbank SIM locked). I'd like to avoid this problem again in the future, as I often travel / work outside the US. Thanks!

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Trivia posted:

Hi all, I need a new phone after 5 years of using an HTC 001 Desire HT (Softbank phone).

I'm back in the states with no provider and no usable phone. I need:

- An Android device between $200-$400.
- A phone compatible around the world, something in which I can swap SIMs easily.
- Any recommendations for setting myself up with a pre-paid setup.

My current phone can't be used, as it's not compatible on US networks (and also Softbank SIM locked). I'd like to avoid this problem again in the future, as I often travel / work outside the US. Thanks!

Nexus 5X or 6P on Fi.

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
so I'll try to be oblique.
I just looked up Google Fi. Hot drat it seems almost too good to be true. Any downsides or complaints with the service?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Endless Mike posted:

The catch is that you get to give Google even more data and also it runs on the third and fourth largest carriers, which didn't add up to either of the first two largest carriers. That's probably not a big deal in Dallas though. Oh and you're restricted to three phones.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Trivia posted:

I just looked up Google Fi. Hot drat it seems almost too good to be true. Any downsides or complaints with the service?

If you ever go back to Japan, japan has weird frequencies versus the rest of the world. So I never guarantee a phone will work on the networks. But otherwise the phone is unlocked and what was recommended is perfect for you.

Blackula Vs. Tarantula
Jul 6, 2005

😤I am NOT Captain_Redbeard🧔
I'm looking to buy a new smartphone. I currently have a virgin mobile plan that I like and is only $45 a month, but I would be willing to switch. I want an inexpensive phone that can play pokemon go. I currently use android but would be willing to switch. Long battery life and low cost are my two biggest priorities.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Whats the cheapest 2-3gb a month data plan I can use for myself alone in the US? I mostly only text and rarely make lengthy phone calls and I live in NYC so coverage isnt much of an issue. Currently using an iPhone 5S.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

net cafe scandal posted:

Whats the cheapest 2-3gb a month data plan I can use for myself alone in the US? I mostly only text and rarely make lengthy phone calls and I live in NYC so coverage isnt much of an issue. Currently using an iPhone 5S.

T-Mobile has a prepaid $30 plan with 100 minutes, unlimited texts, 5 GB of data. Not sure you'll do too much better than that.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Captain Redbeard posted:

I'm looking to buy a new smartphone. I currently have a virgin mobile plan that I like and is only $45 a month, but I would be willing to switch. I want an inexpensive phone that can play pokemon go. I currently use android but would be willing to switch. Long battery life and low cost are my two biggest priorities.

Nexus 5x with Google Fi service. Fi uses both Sprint and T-Mobile, so if you are currently happy with your coverage, you would only gain.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Country/Provider: Santa Rosa CA, USA. Current carrier is AT&T
Current contract status: Out of contract, for a long rear end time now.
Budget (phone/plan): Intend to buy an iPhone SE upfront unless the phone has some major defect I don't know about. Planwise, I'm looking to lower my monthly bill which is currently ~$80/mo.
Features I know I want: Nothing fancy. I mostly use my phone for e-mail, text, and the odd phone call.

I'm been using an iPhone 3GS since 2010 because I was grandfathered into AT&T's unlimited data plan and didn't give enough fucks to change anything, but phone is now going kaput. I reviewed my usage and in the last year and a half my call time has averaged 50m/mo (max ~85m) and data usage is at 760mb/mo (max ~1.4gb), so I'm guessing that I could get away with paying a lot less than I currently do.

All I'm looking for is whichever plan/carrier will give me the best deal while still offering half-decent service.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

If you're happy with your coverage, I'd recommend Cricket. They're owned by AT&T and use the same towers and everything, just prepaid. They start at $35/month for 2.5 GB of data if you set up autopayment.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Okay, so it looks like if I go with that I'd just buy an unlocked phone and have them send me the sim?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Yep.

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

I have searched around in a mediocre fashion (amazon, newegg) to see if what I want exists, but I can't find it - likely because the feature I'm looking for is named something along the lines of "Freedumb". Basically, in perusing unlocked phones, I've noticed a lot of devices have gone the uni-modem route that the iPhones did, where you can attach it to anything with a signal if you buy it unlocked.

So, I'm looking for a phone that supports what I'm going to incorrectly call "Dual Carrier". Instead of the normal Dual SIM (e.g. 2xGSM like T Mobile and AT&T) I'd like to be able to connect to both Verizon and a GSM provider at the same time.

Does this type of phone exist? What is the feature called? And what phone would you recommend if this does actually exist?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Arsten posted:

I have searched around in a mediocre fashion (amazon, newegg) to see if what I want exists, but I can't find it - likely because the feature I'm looking for is named something along the lines of "Freedumb". Basically, in perusing unlocked phones, I've noticed a lot of devices have gone the uni-modem route that the iPhones did, where you can attach it to anything with a signal if you buy it unlocked.

So, I'm looking for a phone that supports what I'm going to incorrectly call "Dual Carrier". Instead of the normal Dual SIM (e.g. 2xGSM like T Mobile and AT&T) I'd like to be able to connect to both Verizon and a GSM provider at the same time.

Does this type of phone exist? What is the feature called? And what phone would you recommend if this does actually exist?

What you'd want is a dual-SIM device but I don't know if Verizon will provision such a thing for their network. The whole point of Verizon being the way they are is so they can tell you to gently caress yourself when you want to do something like you're proposing.

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

LastInLine posted:

What you'd want is a dual-SIM device but I don't know if Verizon will provision such a thing for their network. The whole point of Verizon being the way they are is so they can tell you to gently caress yourself when you want to do something like you're proposing.

But the phones i could find that are Dual SIM all seem to specifically say "GSM Carriers only".

And why would Verizon care about such a thing? They get their monthly overpriced stipend from such a deal.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Arsten posted:

But the phones i could find that are Dual SIM all seem to specifically say "GSM Carriers only".

And why would Verizon care about such a thing? They get their monthly overpriced stipend from such a deal.

Phones have to be compatible with Verizon's network, and in general anyone that makes a dual SIM is A. Not making it for the US, because none of the carriers want them and B. A dual SIM phone needs to have Verizon's CDMA voice on it, and manufacturers just don't make those.

I get what you're saying on both carriers "still getting money," but in the US a large majority of customers don't even know what dual SIM is, therefore there is no demand, therefore it's a combo of both Verizon has no incentive to make one and there aren't enough people out there to buy one for a manufacturer to make it.

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

Duckman2008 posted:

Phones have to be compatible with Verizon's network, and in general anyone that makes a dual SIM is A. Not making it for the US, because none of the carriers want them and B. A dual SIM phone needs to have Verizon's CDMA voice on it, and manufacturers just don't make those.

I get what you're saying on both carriers "still getting money," but in the US a large majority of customers don't even know what dual SIM is, therefore there is no demand, therefore it's a combo of both Verizon has no incentive to make one and there aren't enough people out there to buy one for a manufacturer to make it.

For the Verizon aspect, I meant "If the phone supports the CDMA connection, why would Verizon give two fucks about you paying them to connect?" versus "Why hasn't Verizon specifically built this?".

The crazy thing is, though, that companies are already building devices that work on almost any carrier, including CDMA. Just hoping they'd do it in a dual sim handset. Thank you all for your brain powers.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

Arsten posted:

For the Verizon aspect, I meant "If the phone supports the CDMA connection, why would Verizon give two fucks about you paying them to connect?" versus "Why hasn't Verizon specifically built this?".

The crazy thing is, though, that companies are already building devices that work on almost any carrier, including CDMA. Just hoping they'd do it in a dual sim handset. Thank you all for your brain powers.

I BELIEVE the ZTE axon 7 (upcoming) is both dual sim and has radios for CDMA Verizon and Sprint. Verizon still has to allow it however

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

Captain Yossarian posted:

I BELIEVE the ZTE axon 7 (upcoming) is both dual sim and has radios for CDMA Verizon and Sprint. Verizon still has to allow it however

Do they commonly refuse to allow phones that you didn't buy from them or something?

Being with GSM carriers for six shades of forever, that's just baffling to me.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Arsten posted:

Do they commonly refuse to allow phones that you didn't buy from them or something?

Being with GSM carriers for six shades of forever, that's just baffling to me.

You've really got a lot to learn about how much Verizon hates their users.

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

LastInLine posted:

You've really got a lot to learn about how much Verizon hates their users.

:raise: I'm glad I haven't had to learn.... Is this path I'm going down to get better reception on my phone something I should abandon?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Arsten posted:

:raise: I'm glad I haven't had to learn.... Is this path I'm going down to get better reception on my phone something I should abandon?

Where are you that AT&T's coverage isn't enough? I mean I'm sure Nowhere, North Dakota might be Verizon-only country but anywhere there's running water there should be AT&T coverage.