Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Please do elaborate. Also, would you like a slightly whimsical husky?

He's actually super great now that the cage thing has been worked out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

What are people's experiences with dog weight limits in property rentals? We're looking for a new place and when you combine the need for real AC, a washer dryer, and dogs allowed there's not much in the 'up to about $2,000' range here. I can understand it, but the 'we allow small dogs' thing seems a bit daft from a damage point of view as they can be little shits as we all know.

25lbs seems to be the limit I see thrown around a lot, but we're basset hound people and you can only get half a hound for that amount. We're not looking to adopt until about 6 months in, so will be keeping an eye on the proposed community until then. I saw a beagle going around today and Google tells me they're about at the limit. Most people seem to think bassets are beagles anyway, so maybe nobody will notice...

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Landlords don't walk around with scales to check your dog's weight. It's all about perception.

Tenchrono
Jun 2, 2011

edit: answered

Tenchrono fucked around with this message at 13:16 on Jul 16, 2016

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.

EL BROMANCE posted:

What are people's experiences with dog weight limits in property rentals? We're looking for a new place and when you combine the need for real AC, a washer dryer, and dogs allowed there's not much in the 'up to about $2,000' range here. I can understand it, but the 'we allow small dogs' thing seems a bit daft from a damage point of view as they can be little shits as we all know.

25lbs seems to be the limit I see thrown around a lot, but we're basset hound people and you can only get half a hound for that amount. We're not looking to adopt until about 6 months in, so will be keeping an eye on the proposed community until then. I saw a beagle going around today and Google tells me they're about at the limit. Most people seem to think bassets are beagles anyway, so maybe nobody will notice...

I see 40 lbs a lot too. The most reasonable one I saw was 80 combined pounds of pet, meaning you could have one big dog, two medium dogs, or several little dogs. I thought that was fair. The landlord isn't going to plop your dog on a scale so as long as you don't roll up with a dog that's obviously not 25 lbs no one's gonna care.

I will warn you in your search to read the fine print on pets for any place you look. A lot of places advertise as "pet friendly" but when you read the pet clause in the lease it has such stringent restrictions of what kind of pets you can have that it might as well not be pet friendly. The most ridiculous one I saw had a list of about 20-30 banned breeds in the fine print, all of which were very common pet breeds like Australian Shepherds, labs and the like so really it boiled down to "you may have a cat" but they could claim they allowed dogs to show up in more searches.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
My dog was 71lbs when I took him to the vet last but the weight restriction is 50lbs combined pet weight at my place. But my dog isn't 71lbs because of height. It's mostly muscle. He's also never been an issue with regards to barking or destroying anything or being a nuisance. Some of my neighbors were surprised to learn I even had a dog after several months of living here.

The biggest thing is don't come around with like a Great Dane or some poo poo and be a good tenant.

One of the reason mixed breeds are so great is because you have multiple choices when writing a breed down sometimes, which allows you to skirt breed restrictions. I thought my pup was an American staff terrier but I wrote down Rhodesian ridgeback.

boop the snoot fucked around with this message at 13:28 on Jul 16, 2016

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
Nvm

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
I always answer honestly. I dont know what kind of dogges i have.

(they were all strays or shelter animals, and they didnt present me with their papers)

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

EL BROMANCE posted:

I have a 45 lb basset and I cannot imagine the possibility of a landlord having issue with him. Granted my current doesn't care about dogs at all, but when I was looking around ~35# limit houses he wasn't an issue.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Thanks for the replies, it's pretty much what I imagined but a realtor gave me a bit of a scare when I asked about strictness and he indicated that it could be an issue. The last thing we'd want to do is adopt just for the poor thing to have to go back. Sadly the place that's now top of our list is absolutely cat only, and I don't think there's much of a way to disguise a basset as one... but you never know, the place might be a lot laxer in real life compared to contract.

Good to see there are other basset people here too. Between my wife's parents (where we are living at the moment) and her sisters family around the corner there are 6 hounds in total. They're a very fun breed, and I agree that I can't see how anyone would take an issue. There's always that one rear end in a top hat neighbor who could make life hell, but you can get that anywhere.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

A lot of rescues require a note from a landlord saying you can have a pet or a copy of your lease where it says you can have a pet. Some don't and just take your word for it. Either way the responsible thing is to let your landlord know you're going to get a pet so you don't end up having to return it and end up on your landlord's poo poo list.

In my experience renting with pets private landlords are much more flexible on pets than big management companies.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

So I think I hosed up.

I took fuckface and the beagle on a few mile hike through a nearby state park yesterday. Now this is the South and in the summertime, so I picked a tick off of myself during the hike and another after I got back; neither attached, no big deal. Both of the dogs are on Frontline pills or something similar for flea and ticks, so I wasn't too worried about them. What I failed to consider was that the ticks give no fucks about that stuff and are going to get on them anyway, only to vacate once they find out they taste bad or whatever the meds do to prevent them. So I may have a two dog's hike worth of ticks in my place looking to find a new food source; namely me.

I found a dead one on the bedsheets over where the beagle sleeps and a live one on the floor where fuckface hangs out. No more on me, but I'm going to be doing regular sweeps during the next day or two. I'm going the vacuum the entire apartment and rewash my sheets when I get home, and other tips? I've gone over the beagle and haven't found more of the bastards, but fuckface is a little larger in real estate and fur density so I wouldn't be surprised if I missed something.

Edit - According to the vet, the Bravecto or whatever they are on kills on attach, so the little bastards have no reason to choose me over them. I'm still going to be itchy with phantom ticks all day though.

Warbird fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Jul 18, 2016

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Warbird posted:

So I think I hosed up.

I took fuckface and the beagle on a few mile hike through a nearby state park yesterday. Now this is the South and in the summertime, so I picked a tick off of myself during the hike and another after I got back; neither attached, no big deal. Both of the dogs are on Frontline pills or something similar for flea and ticks, so I wasn't too worried about them. What I failed to consider was that the ticks give no fucks about that stuff and are going to get on them anyway, only to vacate once they find out they taste bad or whatever the meds do to prevent them. So I may have a two dog's hike worth of ticks in my place looking to find a new food source; namely me.

I found a dead one on the bedsheets over where the beagle sleeps and a live one on the floor where fuckface hangs out. No more on me, but I'm going to be doing regular sweeps during the next day or two. I'm going the vacuum the entire apartment and rewash my sheets when I get home, and other tips? I've gone over the beagle and haven't found more of the bastards, but fuckface is a little larger in real estate and fur density so I wouldn't be surprised if I missed something.

Edit - According to the vet, the Bravecto or whatever they are on kills on attach, so the little bastards have no reason to choose me over them. I'm still going to be itchy with phantom ticks all day though.

A fully engorged tick will haunt your nightmares for all time.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
So I never thought I'd have to fight against pseudoscience on the Irish Wolfhound Club of America facebook group I joined but earlier there was somebody asking for Homeopathic remedies for their dog. The first "medicine" I saw suggested was called Apis Mellifica so I looked it up...

quote:

Apis mellifica, otherwise known as Apis, is made from a honeybee. In an FDA-regulated homeopathic pharmacy, a honeybee is crushed, added to alcohol, and then diluted so many times the offending aspect of the bee venom is removed, leaving only the curative agent

IT'S LITERALLY WATER!

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

It's water a bee has been in. What is that supposed to cure/treat? I've got a whole water trough out there that had a dead bee floating in it just waiting to make me $$$.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...

Instant Jellyfish posted:

It's water a bee has been in. What is that supposed to cure/treat? I've got a whole water trough out there that had a dead bee floating in it just waiting to make me $$$.

It's not even water a bee has been in, really. Homeopaths believe that the more diluted something is the more effective it is. There is no trace of the original substance in the final product but because "water memory" it has medical properties.

Tensokuu
May 21, 2010

Somehow, the boy just isn't very buoyant.
I feel like absolute poo poo. We got a parson Russell terrier from the same guy we got our Jack from who said that the parson was in great shape, no medical problems, no potty issues, etc. we had no problems with Rhea so we trusted him and took this parson and brought him home. This was two or three months ago.

He had three huge engorged ticks on him after we got him home that had been there for days. He had Lyme disease. He has submissive urination issues. He's a super sweet dog and I've spent a ton of money getting him healthy and well but we cannot curb the peeing issues. No matter what we do he pees all over the house. Look at him funny and he pees. He gets excited and he pees. He gets upset you walked out of the room and he pees. He's been fixed, we have done everything that the vet and the Internet said to do, we take him out every 2 hours and he still pees all over. Now Rhea is starting to think its okay to do it too because Finn does it.

We took them to my wife's family get together for the 4th of July and her cousin fell in love with him. They have a farm and two other dogs and they said that they would take him from us if we couldn't keep him. We were trying to see if we could ride it out because we were about to buy a house but now that I've switched jobs we no longer qualify for the mortgage we were going to get, so now that's out. So it's official, we are giving Finn to her cousin on Saturday.

I know they will take care of him and love him and he will have room to run and play which he can't do here in our tiny apartment. He was like 3x bigger than our Irish Jack when we expected him to be a shorty so we never expected to have the big loaf in our tiny place. I know we are doing this all for the right reasons and he is healthy and it's for the best for him - but I still feel like absolute poo poo and like I failed him. :smithcloud:

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Tree Dude posted:

So I never thought I'd have to fight against pseudoscience on the Irish Wolfhound Club of America facebook group I joined but earlier there was somebody asking for Homeopathic remedies for their dog. The first "medicine" I saw suggested was called Apis Mellifica so I looked it up...

IT'S LITERALLY WATER!

Can you screenshot that for me so I can go share it on the ShittyLifehacks thread? #doghax

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe

Tensokuu posted:

So it's official, we are giving Finn to her cousin on Saturday.

I ended up in this same situation with one of my cats. I felt completely terrible about it but when I came to visit a few months later I could see he was totally happy there and didn't even miss me. That's when I knew for sure that I did the right thing.

Tensokuu
May 21, 2010

Somehow, the boy just isn't very buoyant.

Joburg posted:

I ended up in this same situation with one of my cats. I felt completely terrible about it but when I came to visit a few months later I could see he was totally happy there and didn't even miss me. That's when I knew for sure that I did the right thing.

Yeah. I know it's the right call but I just feel lovely about it. I know Saturday is going to suck hard and I'm gonna miss the big loaf, but he's gonna be so much better off in his new home. Hopefully my wife's cousin will bring him to family functions so we can keep seeing him.

cougar cub
Jun 28, 2004

Have a 10 week Airedale that loves chewing... The internet stories about rawhide leading to surgeries' an actual thing (if course watching for when it gets too small). Elk antler for a puppy - too tough and bad for em?

cougar cub fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Jul 20, 2016

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Nylabonss and chew toys were great for my young puppy. Every time they want to chew on something, replace it with an appropriate chew toy.

I would avoid edible chew things toys early though.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I stay away from rawhides purely because they make my dog violently explode from both ends.

I've found Benebones to be the most durable chewy toy so far.

Cerebral Mayhem
Jul 18, 2000

Very useful on the planet Delphon, where they communicate with their eyebrows

Tree Dude posted:

IT'S LITERALLY WATER!

That's because there are a lot of really nutty dog people out there. If you try to explain quackery they go, "How Dare You tell me not to try anything and everything to help my Furbabies! :kingsley: "

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

Cerebral Mayhem posted:

That's because there are a lot of really nutty dog people out there. If you try to explain quackery they go, "How Dare You tell me not to try anything and everything to help my Furbabies! :kingsley: "

It's true.

Anti-vaxxers and homeopathic whackjobs also extend into the dog world.

Bakalakadaka
Sep 18, 2004

I'm working on adopting a dog from a shelter and I have a friend who's excited about it and wants to come visit when I bring him home. Is it a bad idea to have someone who won't be around all the time there when I first bring the dog home or will it make no difference?

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

Who can find a virtuous woman,
For her price is far above rubies.
hey guys. Sherlock is going to have brachiosymphatic obstructed airway syndrome reversed through surgery. I love that baby so much and I want him to have the best life so I'm doing it. I'm hoping that he will have a way higher quality of life as he will be able to breathe a lot better and it won't be a problem later in life.

I watched the surgery on YouTube and it looks less intense than I originally thought. Has anyone elses' dog had BOAS?

after reading about the surgery more I'm actually shocked that the vets that I saw before didn't really push it on me more. The vet who neutered him said that it wasn't important and the vets after never mentioned it. I'm actually glad that I waited until the vet I have now as he's the first one who brought up the three part surgery including the nostril widening, the soft palette reduction, and inversion of the sacks (??) which should all make a huge difference.

moral of the story: don't get a dog with a smushed face.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

My dog is getting too old to jump out of the trunk of the car. He's like 15 so I'm amazed he's been able to do it for this long.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a dog ramp or some such? Car is a VW Golf if that makes a difference

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

Who can find a virtuous woman,
For her price is far above rubies.

St Evan Echoes posted:

My dog is getting too old to jump out of the trunk of the car. He's like 15 so I'm amazed he's been able to do it for this long.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a dog ramp or some such? Car is a VW Golf if that makes a difference

when I had rabbits I had this or something extremely similar to this and my rabbits loved it. My dog also loved it when he was a puppy. Make sure you measure the right height, obviously.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Dog is about 7 months now, and she's turning bad. She just ate my watch. She never chewed anything in the house. Now I have to be all careful all the time. Ugh.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

FogHelmut posted:

Dog is about 7 months now, and she's turning bad. She just ate my watch. She never chewed anything in the house. Now I have to be all careful all the time. Ugh.

Puppy puberty is a hell of a thing.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

The beagle may finally be getting past her separation anxiety. Fuckface is content to chill in his crate and doesn't cause trouble. The only thing that has gone wrong recently was them chewing up a wooden spoon I had left out with some dried food on it. I'm not sure what to do now that there's nothing to worry about.

Carmant
Nov 23, 2015

Treadmill? What's that? Is that some kind of cake?

My dog is back from the vet from getting spayed and they didnt give her one of those weird cones, should I go buy one.

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

We are healthy only to the extent that our ideas are humane.

Carmant posted:

My dog is back from the vet from getting spayed and they didnt give her one of those weird cones, should I go buy one.

Probably. You can get ones that are a bit more comfortable for dogs, if you're buying your own. There are soft ones, or inflatable doughnuts, that you can get that dogs seem to have easier times with.

cloudy
Jul 3, 2007

Alive to the universe; dead to the world.
Let's talk about dog butts.

My dog has left a couple anal gland secretions on the bed in the past couple months. Liquid, brown. Anal glands are not swollen, she shows no signs of licking her butt or discomfort. She only scoots maybe once a month, usually outside on the grass after a poop. She has a solid poop once a day. She's 45 lbs. We're feeding her Fromm and we're happy with her weight and poop quality.

Is this normal dog butt behavior? She's my first dog, so I am not 100% familiar with dog buttholes. I tried to look stuff up and could only find maybe "shooting the glands" when dogs get excited/scared as a possible explanation, though this has only happened a couple times when we are relaxed and laying on the bed that she lays on every single night.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

My dog poops like 4-5 times a day. I'm pretty sure there is more poop coming out than food going in.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

Sometimes you just need a vet or groomer to squeeze out the butt juice.

If we're on the subject of dog butts when I was house training my dog he latched onto poop = treats therefore more poop = more treats. He would walk along squeezing out one turd every half block or so to maximize the treats.

cloudy
Jul 3, 2007

Alive to the universe; dead to the world.

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

Sometimes you just need a vet or groomer to squeeze out the butt juice.

I've heard about that, but thought it was only for when the anal glands weren't expressing themselves and started to cause discomfort, etc. So if the butt juice comes out itself, does it still needed to be manually expressed? Is it a bad sign that it's coming out at times when she's not pooping and just chilling out inside?

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

I have a 60lb mutt dog that has been drinking water like a fiend for 3 days, to the point he has to go out multiple times a night where he would go all night no issues previously.

He has no other symptoms, eating normally , still goes out and has a good time etc. No behavior changes other than having to go out a lot.

Our vet said to just watch him and its probably fine and due to the heat. It is hot here but he has barely been outside in this period and never so much that he is panting a lot.

Anyone seen anything like this? He goes out to pee a poo poo load then comes in and drinks more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

We are healthy only to the extent that our ideas are humane.

Increased water consumption can be linked to some diseases like diabetes. I'd listen to your vet and just watch it for a bit, then schedule another visit.

http://www.petmd.com/dog/conditions/urinary/c_multi_polydipsia_polyuria