Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
If I could I think i'd like to live in Colorado. Big mountains and lots of wilderness like Washington, but not loving cloudy overcast 3/4 of the year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kiryen
Feb 25, 2015

KetTarma posted:

Are you sure that WGU's degree will be acceptable to the college that you're applying to for a MS?

WGU seems to have a decent program to get you into IT but their credits tend to not be acceptable anywhere else due to the unconventional way that you earn them... or so I've heard.

The director of the program I'm trying to get into at UTRGV specifically recommended WGU to me, so I can only assume they'll be acceptable. I'm looking into some other options though; work has a discounted program through Penn State as well.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Two "honors societies" are still bombing my school email with reminders to join. They even extended their registration into July so I can become "a leader among my peers". Pathetic.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

I was originally thinking about moving to Wyoming. I really like the landscape there.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Soulex posted:

I was originally thinking about moving to Wyoming. I really like the landscape there.

Utah is better. Like all around except semi-lovely liquor laws

manchego
Feb 16, 2007

MEANWHILE,
Baseless recommendation to look at Idaho. I dunno, it looks chill as gently caress and beautiful. I've never heard anyone bad mouth that state. I think they forget it exists, like Rhode Island.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I would take Colorado over any of those other states listed. I would love to go live there again but :lol: at having a job in my field out there.

Casimir Radon posted:

Two "honors societies" are still bombing my school email with reminders to join. They even extended their registration into July so I can become "a leader among my peers". Pathetic.

Unless you know for a fact that you're never going to need the networking opportunities, they're probably worthwhile. Odds are that maybe one or two people will be successful and you'll get something out of it down the line.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

manchego posted:

Baseless recommendation to look at Idaho. I dunno, it looks chill as gently caress and beautiful. I've never heard anyone bad mouth that state. I think they forget it exists, like Rhode Island.

North Idaho is cool and really bad at the same time

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

Booblord Zagats posted:

Utah is better. Like all around except semi-lovely liquor laws

I don't drink, so that would be a nonissue to me. It's just the people in Utah being so weird that keeps me from hopping the border over. But I think I've mentioned that before in here.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Vasudus posted:

Unless you know for a fact that you're never going to need the networking opportunities, they're probably worthwhile. Odds are that maybe one or two people will be successful and you'll get something out of it down the line.
They seem pretty scammy to me. I'm not such an amazing student that I imagine they're very selective. I probably only ended up on their list because I've done undergrad research.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

Casimir Radon posted:

They seem pretty scammy to me. I'm not such an amazing student that I imagine they're very selective. I probably only ended up on their list because I've done undergrad research.

Think of them as junior professional organizations. You pay them their dues that they squander, you get some minor networking opportunities. It's probably crap! But what if it's not.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Vasudus posted:

Think of them as junior professional organizations. You pay them their dues that they squander, you get some minor networking opportunities. It's probably crap! But what if it's not.

Are you serious with this poo poo? No, it's not worth it. It's never worth it. We're not talking Phi Beta Kappa here, these are just stupid little money holes that no one cares about, not even the people who paid their dues. Just Google some of these organizations and most of the results will be "is X a scam?" No one asks that about real honors societies. There are real, widely recognizaed professional organizations for undergrads like ASME.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
I know everyone hates at the date or whatever, but seriously any organization that you looks you up and ask you to pay is loving scam 101

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

I know everyone hates at the date or whatever, but seriously any organization that you looks you up and ask you to pay is loving scam 101

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
lmao i read that they were coming FROM his school's email not TO

welp

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I think they have some sort of standing with the university. Still not worth it.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

Mike-o posted:

If I could I think i'd like to live in Colorado. Big mountains and lots of wilderness like Washington, but not loving cloudy overcast 3/4 of the year.

why cant you my dude?

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

why cant you my dude?

i can, but i know my daughter doesn't want to move and leave friends again. she's got a bunch of friends in san diego that she's always missing, and i don't want to tear her away from the ones she's made here in washington. once she's out of the house i'll try to convince the old lady to move someplace else maybe. really depends on where my life goes career wise after i get a degree.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

Mike-o posted:

i can, but i know my daughter doesn't want to move and leave friends again. she's got a bunch of friends in san diego that she's always missing, and i don't want to tear her away from the ones she's made here in washington. once she's out of the house i'll try to convince the old lady to move someplace else maybe. really depends on where my life goes career wise after i get a degree.

well, from where im sitting, theres a lot of rocks around here. like, yknow, all these rocky mountains :getin:

RichieHimself
May 27, 2004

No way dude, she looks like Gargamel.
I know we have a few dudes in voc rehab, but has anyone completed their program yet? I am now employed and my counselor mentioned that once I finish some final paperwork and wrap things up I get an employment adjustment allowance that appears to be two full months of my regular GI bill housing allowance. Is that accurate or does the payment vary based on how dope (or not dope) your counselor is?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

RichieHimself posted:

I know we have a few dudes in voc rehab, but has anyone completed their program yet? I am now employed and my counselor mentioned that once I finish some final paperwork and wrap things up I get an employment adjustment allowance that appears to be two full months of my regular GI bill housing allowance. Is that accurate or does the payment vary based on how dope (or not dope) your counselor is?

Once I pass the bar exam I get two months extra substance allowance. Now what rate that will be, I'm not 100% sure. I'm done with my degree but they're letting me take another semester to wrap up a certificate and it's awesome.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
Oh my god my English 101 class is combined with a 99 class and every day that I show up is a day I feel like I've wasted. gently caress making attendance almost a quarter of the grade.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Yeah but put them together and you get a 200 level course.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Pesticide20 posted:

Oh my god my English 101 class is combined with a 99 class and every day that I show up is a day I feel like I've wasted. gently caress making attendance almost a quarter of the grade.

after i deployed i took 101 college algebra because even though i passed it in high school i forgot everything ever. it was easy but it was very helpful having the review

also i met my wife in that class

Xenaba
Feb 18, 2003
Pillbug
Why not just CLEP that poo poo if you don't think you need a refresher? It's free for us anyways. Also, khan academy is the awesome for brushing up on math skills.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Ckwiesr posted:

Why not just CLEP that poo poo if you don't think you need a refresher? It's free for us anyways. Also, khan academy is the awesome for brushing up on math skills.

It's been years since I've done any writing and I thought I needed the practice.

RichieHimself
May 27, 2004

No way dude, she looks like Gargamel.

Pesticide20 posted:

It's been years since I've done any writing and I thought I needed the practice.

If you want to knock the rust off your writing skills you'd be better off in lower level history classes than English imo. I'm biased because I was a history major, but the lower level classes I took helped me figure out how to structure and support an argument while letting me learn interesting things at the same time. My required English classes were hella boring and a waste of time. Only cool English class I took was on horror and science fiction, that class ruled.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
guys just major in rhetoric

But really, please do not CLEP out of English courses unless your field will never require you to use critical thinking skills AND writing. I don't think there's many of those.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
luckily I could think critically and knew what an adverb was already so I felt pretty confident testing out of it

elite_garbage_man
Apr 3, 2010
I THINK THAT "PRIMA DONNA" IS "PRE-MADONNA". I MAY BE ILLITERATE.
holy gently caress this intro to anthropology class has more reading than any cs or math class I've ever taken.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

elite_garbage_man posted:

holy gently caress this intro to anthropology class has more reading than any cs or math class I've ever taken.

Duh.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

lol

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
That must have been a pretty big book of spider names.

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones

Mr. Nice! posted:

That must have been a pretty big book of spider names.

:golfclap:

Grem
Mar 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 30 days!

2 page essay on the Nacirema culture due Friday.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!

Grem posted:

2 page essay on the Nacirema culture due Friday.
They are a fascinating people.

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Am I correct in my assumption, you fish-faced enemy of the people?
Micro and A&P 1 in the same semester, about to loving ruin my 3.5. :getin:

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

I have to take some dumb Foundations of Information Security course because they wouldn't just give me equivalency for my CISSP. I guess at least it'll be pretty easy.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
This link wont work probably so dont click it https://eauth.va.gov/ebenefits/manage/education

but I'm trying to find the Certificate of Eligibility to drop off at the school. of course it says this for me under that link

The Education Enrollment Status feature is currently not available.

Our normal hours of operation are: Sunday to Friday from 6 a.m. EST to 10 p.m. EST and Saturday from 6 a.m. EST to 7 p.m EST. There may be periodic downtime outside of these hours for maintenance. Please try again later.

anyhow is that the right link even?

edit: nevermind I had to go through Vonapp I guess sorry for bumping with a dumb question

god drat it va can't you do anything right?

CHICKEN SHOES fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Aug 4, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenaba
Feb 18, 2003
Pillbug
Anyone remember when book money gets sent?

• Locked thread