Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

Throatwarbler posted:

A much heavier iron block V8 that made 230hp would have been very different? It would probably have been worse.

I'm still not sure why they didn't try a turbo Mitsubishi 6G7 in it. I guess they probably didn't want to deal with repackaging an engine that wasn't theirs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich
I owned a first year 300M. Gold. Chrome wheels.

It was a great commuter car when it worked.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Hey, well, if you stuck a hellcat engine and a six speed in a prowler it would be fairly cool. A PT cruiser is always going to be a PT cruiser.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

Throatwarbler posted:

A much heavier iron block V8 that made 230hp would have been very different? It would probably have been worse.

~80 more ft/lbs of torque, a real transmission, a simplified drive train, a larger fuel tank, and an actual rear differential. It wouldn't be a night and day comparison, but it would be a significantly better vehicle that its target audience wouldn't automatically hate

E: why am I defending Chrysler design decisions? I mean, the Howler was Plymouth trying to save their roadster, and themselves, the cheapest way possible, but I may be having a small stroke to care this much about the book of "what could have been" that Chrysler is still writing

The Door Frame fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Jul 15, 2016

Artemis J Brassnuts
Jan 2, 2009
I regret😢 to inform📢 I am the most sexually🍆 vanilla 🍦straight 📏 dude😰 on the planet🌎
Chop the back off the PT and make it into a PT-amino, then put a rotary in it.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
Saw this just parked on the street in Bethesda tonight. Hertz, donut?

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

German officer Johannes Bolter peeks out the hatch of his Tiger I heavy tank during a quiet moment before the Battle of Kursk - c:1943 (colorized)
Slippery Tilde
Those are actually surprisingly rare, I've seen one at a cars and coffee meet up in NSW once. They made ~1000 of them specifically for Hertz, apart from being marked GT350H in that color scheme there's nothing special that makes them different from any other ~1966 GT350.

To quote wikipedia;

quote:

A deal was made with the Hertz Corporation to offer ~1,000 G.T. 350s for rental that, after their rental-car lives were finished, were returned to Ford, refurbished, and sold to the public as "G.T. 350H" models. Most Hertz cars were black with gold LeMans stripes and rocker panel stripes, although a few were white with blue stripes. The first 85 Hertz cars were available with four-speed manual transmissions and Hertz advertised them as "Rent-a-Racer" cars. During rental, these cars were sometimes used as production class cars at SCCA events, and were rumored to have been returned to Hertz with evidence of roll bars being welded in. Ford pushed another 800 models on Hertz with black paint, gold stripes and black interior, as well as automatic transmissions.

If it's got a manual it's one of 85 :3:

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010
For sale in Germany for 9000 Euros:

Claimed 800hp

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Memento posted:

How are these things running away like that? Every quad bike or UTV I've ever ridden/driven has a pretty effective setup where if you're not on the throttle they stall out.
You'd think that if you're doing hill climb on an ATV you would have a safety strap like jetskis, so if you fall off a plug disconnects and kills the engine.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Farmland Park posted:

For sale in Germany for 9000 Euros:

Claimed 800hp

Racing trucks are cool as gently caress

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

I took my son to see truck racing at Donnington a couple of years back. Apart from the genuinely awe-inspiring spectacle of 20+ trucks thundering past at 100mph wheel to wheel we saw one truck driving through the paddock on fire with someone hanging off the side keeping the fire low with an extinguisher.

They then swapped cylinder heads in about 5 minutes, 2 blokes with 1" air impact guns and fireproof gloves.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Stubby Bob is back. :perfect:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVs_xZ46Cxw

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

This is one of the episodes that reminds you why you watch roadkill.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

davebo posted:

Saw this just parked on the street in Bethesda tonight. Hertz, donut?

I wonder if it still has its original engine.

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Oh Bambi, I cried so hard when those hunters shot your mommy...

5 seconds in and I'm like "holy poo poo..."

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

neckbeard posted:

Roadkill is the sole reason I gave in and got MT On Demand. Stubby Bob is a straight up Mad Max vehicle, and the build up to the wheelstand was amazing.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

I wasn't kidding. Roadkill had been a little ho-hum for several episodes, but Stubby Bob's resurrection is now in my top three favorites.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Yeah this episode was back to classic Roadkill madness instead of the bland "watch us halfheartedly thrash a dodge" stuff.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

Yeah, the Stubby Bob episode was glorious. The next one, with the Buick, is kind of a real huge letdown though :(

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

Collateral Damage posted:

Yeah this episode was back to classic Roadkill madness instead of the bland "watch us halfheartedly thrash a dodge" stuff.

I think since they've gotten bigger, they've ended up with way more stuff on their plate, and sometimes they have issues coordinating anything epic because of it. That, and coordinating to make epic videos when the two of them live on totally opposite sides of the country. As it is, I live about 10 minutes from Finnegan, and would volunteer my services as a Freiburger stand-in.

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

new episode of Chris Harris Drives - Ferrari F12tdf

http://www.topgear.com/videos/chris-harris-drives/chris-harris-drives-ferrari-f12tdf

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

Godholio posted:

I wonder if it still has its original engine.

Funny you mention that because I came into work today and showed it to someone and he was like oh yeah a friend of my dad rented one of those once and swapped the engine with the V6 in his Mustang then returned it. I was like, that's a pretty lovely thing to do and he just laughed and said yeah. I guess after 50 years it's just a funny story to tell and that guy is probably dead now anyway.

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

I HATE EVERYTHING THAT YOU LIKE* AND I NEED TO BE SURE YOU ALL KNOW THAT EVERY TIME I POST

*unless it's a DSM in which case we cool ^_^

davebo posted:

Funny you mention that because I came into work today and showed it to someone and he was like oh yeah a friend of my dad rented one of those once and swapped the engine with the V6 in his Mustang then returned it. I was like, that's a pretty lovely thing to do and he just laughed and said yeah. I guess after 50 years it's just a funny story to tell and that guy is probably dead now anyway.

I like fables too.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

davebo posted:

Be kinda hard to swap the V6 out of a Mustang from that era. :v:

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Jul 15, 2016

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Be kinda hard to swap the V6 out of a Mustang from that era. :v:

Edit: Oh, because it was an inline not a V.

But Hertz engine swaps were definitely a thing.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

davebo posted:

And that man's name? Albert Einstein.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

Godholio posted:

Edit: Oh, because it was an inline not a V.

Yeah my bad those were inline back then.

Reminds me of the guys in 2008 that rented the Hertz C6 Corvette then put Nos in it to see if a $500 car could beat the GT-R in a 1/8 mile race which didn't go well with no launch control.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Godholio posted:

I thought it was racers? Hire the Shelby, crane the engine into your car, run the race, swap it back?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

InitialDave posted:

I thought it was racers? Hire the Shelby, crane the engine into your car, run the race, swap it back?

I've heard both, but it's a bit before my time.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

davebo posted:

Yeah my bad those were inline back then.

Reminds me of the guys in 2008 that rented the Hertz C6 Corvette then put Nos in it to see if a $500 car could beat the GT-R in a 1/8 mile race which didn't go well with no launch control.

I'll never not post this upon mention of spraying a rental.
http://www.ag.auburn.edu/users/parmega/articles/neon/

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Clarkson flaying a rental through new zealand was one of his high points on top gear too. Even though it was staged in the sense the whole thing was pre-arranged it was pretty fun to watch him obliterate the car.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

I'll never not post this upon mention of spraying a rental.
http://www.ag.auburn.edu/users/parmega/articles/neon/

:stare:

This is like poetry.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

neckbeard posted:

If Immortan Joe is the guy carrying the war boys through the gates of Valhalla, then it's Freiburger and Finnegan who will be waiting for them on the other side of said gates. Holy poo poo.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Stubby Bob vs Miss Daisy GO

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

xzzy posted:

Clarkson flaying a rental through new zealand was one of his high points on top gear too. Even though it was staged in the sense the whole thing was pre-arranged it was pretty fun to watch him obliterate the car.

FYI - if you do rent a car in New Zealand, make sure you get the Corolla like Clarkson did. I was there in March and rented a Yaris - going through the mountains on the south island those things sure as poo poo aren't the fastest cars in the world.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
I know a guy who helps out with the local FSAE team and the supervising prof just got this thing:

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Crustashio posted:

I know a guy who helps out with the local FSAE team and the supervising prof just got this thing:

I don't supposed there's a program for CompSci students to get our hands on a Stratos? Asking for a friend.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011
Maybe most people know this already, but I just found out:

Finnegan has his own Youtube channel where he fucks about in his garage working on stuff: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1IdPylqngGiuHFLJqHbG_g

It's pretty good. Not Roadkill good, but highly entertaining.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Artemis J Brassnuts posted:

Chop the back off the PT and make it into a PT-amino, then put a rotary in it.

Close enough?

If not, have these instead

Wheelstander!

Somehow, a more badass wheelstander!

There's also a 6 wheeled, jet powered PT Cruiser dragster but I couldn't find any decent shots of it. Same thing regarding the PT Cruiser I've seen here in NY built into a big block dirt modified.

Seizure Meat fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Jul 16, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Eh, it's a tube chassis wheelie kart with a PT-cruiser shaped fiberglass shell.

Still pretty cool, but not 'PT Cruiser Doing a Wheelie' cool.