Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TerminusEst13
Mar 1, 2013

Nerf Arena Blast was a really good game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

I want a new one by Wolfenstein: TNO/TOB team.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Nerf Arena Blast: The Old Blood

It's Nerf or NOTHING *crushes man's skull with melee attack*

LogicalFallacy
Nov 16, 2015

Wrecking hell's shit since 1993

A few questions for the thread. I just started playing Blood on "Well Done" difficulty, and is it as much of a quicksave-fest for everyone else as it is for me, or am I just awful at the game? I'm seriously poking my head just barely around every corner to kill whatever bastard is hiding around it, only to get instantly murdered by the guy hiding around the other corner. Also, is there a way to force it to run in 4:3 with pillarboxing instead of stretching it to fit my screen? Running it through GOG's launcher gets me the stretched screen, and running directly through DOSBox gets it without the stretching, but it also doesn't quite fill my screen vertically and doesn't play the cut-scenes. I'm running on a 1920x1080 monitor if that matters at all.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Haha, is that the Unreal engine?

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
There's a bug where reloading your save will set enemy damage to the inverse difficulty level (eg second easiest becomes second hardest) without altering the enemy count. No known fix for that or the aspect ratio.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

BattleMaster posted:

Haha, is that the Unreal engine?

It's literally UT with a Nerf skin. It isn't bad.

Brovstin
Nov 2, 2012

LogicalFallacy posted:

A few questions for the thread. I just started playing Blood on "Well Done" difficulty, and is it as much of a quicksave-fest for everyone else as it is for me, or am I just awful at the game? I'm seriously poking my head just barely around every corner to kill whatever bastard is hiding around it, only to get instantly murdered by the guy hiding around the other corner.
Blood is a pretty hard game (the first episode especially), so don't worry about quick-save abuse.

Convex posted:

There's a bug where reloading your save will set enemy damage to the inverse difficulty level (eg second easiest becomes second hardest) without altering the enemy count. No known fix for that or the aspect ratio.
Worth noting that this glitch only applies to difficulty levels 1,2, and 5 (at least according to what I've seen and read) and doesn't affect Well Done.

LogicalFallacy
Nov 16, 2015

Convex posted:

That difficulty bug would actually be quite appreciated in my case, since well done is the second hardest difficulty. And I was sort of worried that was the case with the aspect ratio. All my google searching didn't turn up what I was looking for, and my attempts to directly fudge it through editing the Blood and DOSBox config files proved unsuccessful.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

LogicalFallacy posted:

That difficulty bug would actually be quite appreciated in my case, since well done is the second hardest difficulty. And I was sort of worried that was the case with the aspect ratio. All my google searching didn't turn up what I was looking for, and my attempts to directly fudge it through editing the Blood and DOSBox config files proved unsuccessful.

Just rereading your post, i misunderstood about the aspect ratio - there is definitely a way to get it in pillarboxed. It should just be as simple as setting aspect = true in the config but ill have a look later and see if theres something up with the Gog version thats limiting it.

Nokiaman
Mar 2, 2013
I use fullresolution=0x0 in both Blood/DF and the aspect ratio looks fine.
Should be added to dosboxBlood.conf
aspect=true too as Convex said.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
Speaking of Blood, with Jace Hall talking up this big secret thing he has going on, I hope he actually has something. I'd be very disappointed if he goes through all this again and then whoops! Atari are a bunch of bastards that don't want to play ball. Like last time. Was there a time before that? I want to say there was, but maybe I'm just linking a bunch of attempts by other people together.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Brovstin posted:

Worth noting that this glitch only applies to difficulty levels 1,2, and 5 (at least according to what I've seen and read) and doesn't affect Well Done.

Skill 4 is affected, but the effect is less noticeable.
https://www.gog.com/forum/blood_series/fan_blood_patch_122_fixed_incorrect_damage_scaling_when_loading_a_save/post14

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
I wish someone would make Nerf Arena Blast to UT99 port. With all the crazy mods in UT99, it shouldn't be that difficult to port or make a really good recreation of Nerf Arena Blast to a more played game.

Right? :ohdear:

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

closeted republican posted:

I wish someone would make Nerf Arena Blast to UT99 port. With all the crazy mods in UT99, it shouldn't be that difficult to port or make a really good recreation of Nerf Arena Blast to a more played game.

Right? :ohdear:

It would be smarter to just start selling it again, it works great on modern systems and the multiplayer still works. I assume that rights, as always, are the issue.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
The aspect ratio thing could also just be your settings in your monitor or graphics card, instead of being GOG/Dosbox's fault as much.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

catlord posted:

Speaking of Blood, with Jace Hall talking up this big secret thing he has going on, I hope he actually has something. I'd be very disappointed if he goes through all this again and then whoops! Atari are a bunch of bastards that don't want to play ball. Like last time. Was there a time before that? I want to say there was, but maybe I'm just linking a bunch of attempts by other people together.

Jace has tried to get the Blood license or source probably two or three times prior and those are only the public ones. I'm glad he keeps trying though and I hope he eventually succeeds.

Also I'm pretty sure at this point Atari is like a single dude who is probably a lawyer.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

I just released Coffee Break Episode 2: The Village Volk today. Anyone who enjoyed the previous episode or Wolfenstein 3D mods in general will get a kick out of this. It even comes with a dev build of ECWolf and batch shortcuts so all you need to do is drop it into a folder with a copy of Wolfenstein 3D and play.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Ylb9rRbEYo

Lork
Oct 15, 2007
Sticks to clorf

Nokiaman posted:

I use fullresolution=0x0 in both Blood/DF and the aspect ratio looks fine.
Should be added to dosboxBlood.conf
aspect=true too as Convex said.
If the image is in a tiny box in the middle of the screen in fullscreen mode, try using the various normal scalers until you find the highest one that will fit. eg. normal2x, normal3x etc.

LogicalFallacy
Nov 16, 2015

Alright. I've finally got it sorted as best I could. I didn't realize that dosboxBlood.conf was a thing, so I had been simply messing with BLOOD.CFG and dosbox-0.74.conf. I've now got it running in a proper 4:3 resolution. I've still got small black bars above and below, since it doesn't seem to scale neatly to 1440x1080, but whaddayado?:shrug:

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Yodzilla posted:

Jace has tried to get the Blood license or source probably two or three times prior and those are only the public ones. I'm glad he keeps trying though and I hope he eventually succeeds.

Also I'm pretty sure at this point Atari is like a single dude who is probably a lawyer.

I hope he does too, I just want a source port for Blood.

loving Atari. Bastards.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Honestly, I just want the save game damage mess fixed.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
There's been a pretty significant Unreal Tournament update in the last couple of days, in particular Titan Pass got a big visual upgrade (not that it needed it), there's now some sort of matchmaking, some new sounds and the comm menu is back. The deemer seems to blow up much more easily too. Release notes here: https://www.epicgames.com/unrealtournament/blog/ut-update-available-now

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

mobby_6kl posted:

There's been a pretty significant Unreal Tournament update in the last couple of days, in particular Titan Pass got a big visual upgrade (not that it needed it), there's now some sort of matchmaking, some new sounds and the comm menu is back. The deemer seems to blow up much more easily too. Release notes here: https://www.epicgames.com/unrealtournament/blog/ut-update-available-now

I want vehicles and onslaught mode :colbert:

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
So for the past day or two I've been playing around with Quake on DOSBOX because I didn't know the GOG release included the DOS version, and in a fit of nostalgia I wanted to get that running. Anyway, I wanted to play that new DOPA episode they released a while back on it but I also like how the DOSBOX launcher thing GOG had allowed me to select mission packs in a simple manner. I searched online to see if anybody bothered trying to add that in but I guess not so I did it myself.

So that was easy. I guess the other one or two folks that might care about struggling with the DOSBOX version can use this.

EDIT: lol "choice 5" to exit is broken, forgot to add the number 5 to the line:

code:
choice /c12345 /s Which game do you want to run? [1-5]: /n 

Mercury Crusader fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Jul 18, 2016

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -
While you're messing around in there you can also fix the launch command lines for the two official mission packs. "-game hipnotic" and "-game rogue" should actually just be "-hipnotic" and "-rogue" respectively. The official missionpacks have special command-line options that change the HUD/statusbar and a few other minor things.

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
ive been messing around with the homebrew quake port to the 3ds.. on the old 3ds it kinda runs lovely but i also don't even think it was developed on one, but at the same time its surprisingly playable with the controls despite running like poo poo and not being 3d. so basically it rules

its compatible with winquake i guess but i dont really know how quake modding works, it works with team fortress supposedly. is there anything impressive or fun or any total conversions for og, software rendered quake? lmao

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

Mercury Crusader posted:

So for the past day or two I've been playing around with Quake on DOSBOX because I didn't know the GOG release included the DOS version, and in a fit of nostalgia I wanted to get that running. Anyway, I wanted to play that new DOPA episode they released a while back on it but I also like how the DOSBOX launcher thing GOG had allowed me to select mission packs in a simple manner. I searched online to see if anybody bothered trying to add that in but I guess not so I did it myself.
Woah dude. Do you really like the old software rendering feel or something?

Load some Quakespasm and enjoy a proper updated version of glquake.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

jeeves posted:

Woah dude. Do you really like the old software rendering feel or something?

Load some Quakespasm and enjoy a proper updated version of glquake.

Already use Quakespasm, I just like tinkering around with DOSBOX is all. Ideally I should find an old PC or laptop to run DOS or like Win95 or something instead of messing around with an emulator but alas.

Also, every Google search on any message board OP trying to run a game on DOSBOX or MS-DOS proper or whatever seems to have "use a source port" as the first reply even if the OP has "I know I can run this source port but"

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Doom 4 Doom is out, and it's pretty cool!

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

The Kins posted:

Hell yes. I played through a bit of the ultimate doom with it and it owns hard. The fact it works pretty much seamlessly with map wads is gonna give it so much replayability for me.

LtK
Dec 6, 2011

The Universe is a yawning chasm, filled with emptiness and the puerile meanderings of sentience.
How does everyone feel about Warsow? Can rarely find anyone to play with.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

The Kins posted:

The difficulty screen uses the titles from Do4m, so Ultra Violence is in the middle and Nightmare is where Ultra Violence was, and Ultra Nightmare is where Nightmare was.

So-called "Nightmare" difficulty sure is hard :(

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

RyokoTK posted:

The difficulty screen uses the titles from Do4m, so Ultra Violence is in the middle and Nightmare is where Ultra Violence was, and Ultra Nightmare is where Nightmare was.

So-called "Nightmare" difficulty sure is hard :(

Safe bet that anyone who's going so far as to download and install the mod already knows the default positions of the difficulties.

At least they should :colbert:

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
No, I also know the default positions of the difficulties, that's what I mean. I just clicked Nightmare assuming it was comparable to vanilla UV. It is not. Shockingly, if you want UV you should pick the UV option. :shobon:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The Doom 4 mod gets rid of hitscan enemies and for that I am very grateful.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

CJacobs posted:

The Doom 4 mod gets rid of hitscan enemies and for that I am very grateful.

Oh my god, this sells it for me, not that it needed selling.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lMgeJTwvad8&t=278s

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

nigga crab pollock posted:

is there anything impressive or fun or any total conversions for og, software rendered quake? lmao

stuff like both mission packs, abyss of pandemonium, malice, zerstoerer and dimension of the past is 100% og Quake compatible. there are also ton of single maps but can't name rn out of my head

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

The Kins posted:

Replaces old plasma gun sound with new plasma gun sound.

Worst mod ever.

laserghost posted:

stuff like both mission packs, abyss of pandemonium, malice, zerstoerer and dimension of the past is 100% og Quake compatible. there are also ton of single maps but can't name rn out of my head

Check out the maps on simonoc.com aka Sock. Dude is legit a master Quake level designer. Or whatever is higher than master.

Backsteingotik and The Horde of Zendar are both like some of the best Quake1 maps I've ever seen.