Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

wipeout posted:

Could storage goons please help me choose a drive - I have SATA and m2 ports available for the interface. (No pcie lanes, as this is ITX)

This is for a vive box, so non game load results don't matter one bit, don't mind buying an OEM drive like an sm961... but I assume performance at low queue depths is what I want? Any help appreciated.

850 evo comes in sata and sata m.2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Wonder how that compares to a 950pro nvme in game load times.

Gray Matter
Apr 20, 2009

There's something inside your head..

Any thoughts on the now Toshiba-owned OCZ Trion 150 drives? Trying to get my wife's laptop a cheap performance boost from its HDD, but it's not crucial enough that I wanna spend Samsung money on it. No gaming, mostly Netflix, web use, and photo manipulation. 240gb for 56 bucks seems like a pretty sweet deal.

e: other one I'm considering is the PNY CS2211 240gb which I could pick up for $65

e2: maybe solved my own problem. Looks like the PNY is worth another 10 bucks.

Gray Matter fucked around with this message at 10:59 on Jul 15, 2016

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

I definitely would like to see a current analysis of SSD failure rates and modes from various brands, and one that isn't just based on anecdotes from random forums.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

nielsm posted:

I definitely would like to see a current analysis of SSD failure rates and modes from various brands, and one that isn't just based on anecdotes from random forums.

This is the only - flawed - study I remember: http://www.extremetech.com/computing/201064-which-ssds-are-the-most-reliable-massive-study-sheds-some-light

Long and short of it is to start monitoring bad/reallocated sectors when you hit the 100-200TB written mark. You have to love how the Intel 335 is programmed to poo poo itself when it starts to feel itself die, but it still made it to ~700TB.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

BIG HEADLINE posted:

This is the only - flawed - study I remember: http://www.extremetech.com/computing/201064-which-ssds-are-the-most-reliable-massive-study-sheds-some-light

Long and short of it is to start monitoring bad/reallocated sectors when you hit the 100-200TB written mark. You have to love how the Intel 335 is programmed to poo poo itself when it starts to feel itself die, but it still made it to ~700TB.

Yep, I have read that test already. It's no longer current, and it isn't really what I'm after. What would be more interesting would be taking a large sample size of each of various current consumer models and subject them to common daily usage patterns over perhaps 3 months, and look for early failure rates, response to being filled to the brim, and performance.
It's a gigantic project, I realize, which is probably why it doesn't exist.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Hardware.fr has hardware return rates, but it's not specified what the reasons for the returns are. These numbers have been posted before in this thread when they came out. These are the numbers for ssd's for december.

I think OCZ at its worst had a return rate of around 7% for the whole brand, maybe? With for some drive models over half of them coming back. The numbers are a lot less shocking (and thus less meaningful) now, though it seems currently Corsair is probably the bad choice. Though it's all pretty drat close to the return rates for hard disks, where we can assume things have largely stabilized. Looks like there are individual models to avoid, maybe, but not terrible brands as such. You've got to look at whether manufacturers are likely to write firmware updates for drives and whether they give you a lot of hassle in case of an rma. That's -relatively- becoming a more important factor. That's how I read this.

All far from perfect numbers, but maybe closer to what you were looking for. But you don't know whether people returning the 250GB 850 Pro are just returning it to swap for a 120GB 850 EVO or whatever.

I wish more retailers would publish numbers like this, for a wide variety of products though.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy
If I have 120 quid to spend replacing the 100GB OCZ Agility that I got for christmas years ago, is this (500GB 850 EVO) a good choice?

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

quote:

Is Samsung 850 EVO a good choice?
Yes.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy
Cheers for the reassurance mate. :)

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

Whats is the verdict these days on M2 format SSD's?

I can find some Samsung 950 pro SSD's almost touching .60€/gig.

I'd love to have a 128gb one, plug it in the back of my mobo, have my OS run on it and just forget it ever existed.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

A 950 Pro slotted into a pci-capable m.2 slot is the fastest goddamn storage device in the West.

It feels like magic.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Potato Salad posted:

A 950 Pro slotted into a pci-capable m.2 slot is the fastest goddamn storage device in the West.

It feels like magic.

Is the 950pro faster then the sm961 at consumer oriented workloads? I'm only caring about game load times.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

wipeout posted:

Is the 950pro faster then the sm961 at consumer oriented workloads? I'm only caring about game load times.

The 950 Pro is markedly cheaper than the SM961, but the 961 crests ~3200MB/sec. For all intents and purposes, though - they'll feel equally as fast, and load games equally as fast, the 950 Pro is just cheaper. The 961 comes in a 1TB option, though...for an absolutely loving insane price.

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

I'm in the market for a good M2 ssd right now. Eyeing the samsung pro 950 coming in at 140€ for a 256GB version.

I'm not sure how 'new' this tech is in relation to normal consumers.

Would they they be lowering in price in the near future (2/3 months from now)?

Hambilderberglar
Dec 2, 2004

mSATA and M.2 ssds are not socket-compatible, are they? I have an mSATA slot on my motherboard that I'm (belatedly) considering filling with an SSD and I figured I'd double-check this before I spend time and money buying the wrong thing.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Hambilderberglar posted:

mSATA and M.2 ssds are not socket-compatible, are they? I have an mSATA slot on my motherboard that I'm (belatedly) considering filling with an SSD and I figured I'd double-check this before I spend time and money buying the wrong thing.

Nope.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy
So I got that 850EVO, used Samsung's migration tool to clone my existing SSD and I'm curious: are the 10 gig of extra partitions windows made when I first installed important? Because they didn't get cloned onto the new drive. :v:

Hambilderberglar
Dec 2, 2004

Thanks!

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

Pilchenstein posted:

So I got that 850EVO, used Samsung's migration tool to clone my existing SSD and I'm curious: are the 10 gig of extra partitions windows made when I first installed important? Because they didn't get cloned onto the new drive. :v:

A typical Windows 10 fresh install is around 10G in total and commonly has a 100MB EFI partition before, as well as a small (450MB on my system) recovery partition after. What 10G of extra partitions are you talking about?

lDDQD
Apr 16, 2006

BIG HEADLINE posted:

The 950 Pro is markedly cheaper than the SM961, but the 961 crests ~3200MB/sec. For all intents and purposes, though - they'll feel equally as fast, and load games equally as fast, the 950 Pro is just cheaper. The 961 comes in a 1TB option, though...for an absolutely loving insane price.

Lol no, it's not cheaper. SM961 costs around $280, while 950 Pro is about $40 more (for the 512gb model).
But also, SM961 is actually just unavailable at all, until Samsung steps up their supply game. Maybe mid-August.... If it turns out that I'm wrong about this and there's some shop that has them in stock though, please do let me know - I actually want to buy one.

Edit: it's also faster, though I would expect the eventual 960 Pro to be even faster.

lDDQD fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Jul 16, 2016

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy

Eletriarnation posted:

A typical Windows 10 fresh install is around 10G in total and commonly has a 100MB EFI partition before, as well as a small (450MB on my system) recovery partition after. What 10G of extra partitions are you talking about?
I probably just added a digit. The point is the migration tool didn't bother with those partitions - am I ok as long as I don't try to system restore?

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

The SM961, it is worth noting, is not a drive intended for consumers. It is intended for OEMs and adventurous prosumers.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me

Hambilderberglar posted:

No, but if the M2 SSD is the SATA type (not the PCIe type), passive adapters are available for very little money that allow one to use an M2 drive in a mSATA slot.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Potato Salad posted:

The SM961, it is worth noting, is not a drive intended for consumers. It is intended for OEMs and adventurous prosumers.

OEMs in this case meaning Apple, Apple, and oh right, Apple.

The Gasmask
Nov 30, 2006

Breaking fingers like fractals

Gray Matter posted:

Any thoughts on the now Toshiba-owned OCZ Trion 150 drives? Trying to get my wife's laptop a cheap performance boost from its HDD, but it's not crucial enough that I wanna spend Samsung money on it. No gaming, mostly Netflix, web use, and photo manipulation. 240gb for 56 bucks seems like a pretty sweet deal.

e: other one I'm considering is the PNY CS2211 240gb which I could pick up for $65

e2: maybe solved my own problem. Looks like the PNY is worth another 10 bucks.

I picked up this exact PNY about a week ago for video editing/CG purposes and I've been super pleased with it so far - and I messed up on SATA ports and have it on the GSATA Gigabyte fake-sata600 port that is limited to ~350mb/s. I imagine once I reorganize things and get it on the Intel controller it'll hit the 500+ speeds I've seen people report.

The selling points for me were MLC, newer controller+15nm NAND combo (though I don't know enough about this to tell how much it matters), four year warranty, and good reviews all around. There were a couple others I found for same price or less, but with trade offs such as shorter warranties or slower speeds/worse reliability.

Slow Graffiti
Feb 1, 2003

Born of Frustration
Now that Samsung have announced their 4GB SSD, granted it is $1499, is there any reasonable expectation that their 2TB 850 is going to dramatically drop in price in the near future? I'm one of those rare people who actually needs a high performance laptop as I live on a boat half the year, and I'd love to switch out my secondary platter storage drive for an SSD. I also just won $700 by drawing Portugal in my work Euro Cup pool, so I'm feeling ready to pony up for the cost of the 2TB drive.

PS. By dramatically dropping in price, I really mean is there a reasonable chance it might be $500 in say September.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Slow Graffiti posted:

Now that Samsung have announced their 4GB SSD, granted it is $1499, is there any reasonable expectation that their 2TB 850 is going to dramatically drop in price in the near future? I'm one of those rare people who actually needs a high performance laptop as I live on a boat half the year, and I'd love to switch out my secondary platter storage drive for an SSD. I also just won $700 by drawing Portugal in my work Euro Cup pool, so I'm feeling ready to pony up for the cost of the 2TB drive.

PS. By dramatically dropping in price, I really mean is there a reasonable chance it might be $500 in say September.

I've no way of justifying this, but I wouldn't expect it to drop more than ~$30-50 simply because Samsung's still the only vendor at the moment selling a 2TB SSD. They don't really have an incentive to drop the price until they've got a few vendors offering competitive products at lower prices.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
Those kinds of price points and lack of general retail distribution scream "I don't care about your order unless you're ordering more than 500 units."

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

Pilchenstein posted:

I probably just added a digit. The point is the migration tool didn't bother with those partitions - am I ok as long as I don't try to system restore?

Uh... well, if your system boots you have an EFI partition (or a BIOS boot sector) somewhere. The recovery partition can be ignored if you don't plan to use recovery features, yeah.

Hambilderberglar
Dec 2, 2004

PBCrunch posted:

No, but if the M2 SSD is the SATA type (not the PCIe type), passive adapters are available for very little money that allow one to use an M2 drive in a mSATA slot.
Is there any advantage to doing so?

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
I currently have a Samsung 830 in my desktop that I got in December 2012 and I just bought a Lenovo x250 which doesn't have an SSD. To me it makes sense if I upgrade my desktop to a 500Gb 850 evo and put the 830 in my laptop.

Is the age of the 830 a concern?
Am I going to have issues with Windows product keys when I swap them? The x250 seemed to pull the key from the bios the first time which was neat.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

There's no big advantage to running an m.2 sata device in any other slot. AHCI is the bottleneck that has been holding ssd back.

Fake edit - protocol, not interface, is why nvme is awesome.

The Gasmask
Nov 30, 2006

Breaking fingers like fractals
So I finally got around to switching my SATA ports, moved my SSD over to the proper SATA3 from GSATA and organized the others so all my drives are on SATA3 (instead of my system drive being on SATA2 like before...).

Holy crap did this make a difference! I went from ~330MB/s tops on the SSD to this:

That's the PNY CS2211 240GB, by the way. I did notice my 4k Q32T1 speeds are around 100mb/s less than some other people's tests for the same size, not sure why though. In the end it doesn't matter too much, it's significantly faster than my mechanical drives and works well for what I need.
Looking forwards to pushing this baby with some heavy compositing tonight, curious to see how well it'll handle multilayer .exr's streaming from disk.

Salted_Pork
Jun 19, 2011
I recently got a Samsung 950 pro m2 drive, and installed it into the pcie x4 port on the bottom of my gigabyte z170n wifi mobo. I dual boot Windows 10 and Ubuntu 16.04 off it, and i have two issues with it:
-It takes a long time to boot, almost a minute. about half of this is either the bios POST screen, i think it's called, where the gigabyte logo shows up, the other half comes up after the ubuntu boot manager, where the screen is the same colour as the ubuntu boot manager screen (kinda purple), and nothing happens. This seems pretty long, and im wondering if theres anything i need to do in ubuntu to make it load quicker.
-When i open speccy, it can detect the type of drive, but where it would read (SATA), or (SSD), it reads unknown and doesn't show any temperature reading. I know these drives can get hot, and since it has little access to cooling under the mobo, I want to monitor the temp to make sure it's ok.
I downloaded the Samsung Magician app, but I never installed any sort of driver, and I'm not sure how up to date my BIOS firmware is, could this be related to the issues I'm having?
Thanks in advance for any help given.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me

Hambilderberglar posted:

Is there any advantage to doing so?
No, small capacity M2 SSDs are just very inexpensive.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro
One of our Macs, a 2011 13" MBP, has a 128GB Sandisk SSD that I used to replace the lovely platter drive with a couple of years ago. It's been fine up until last week when all of a sudden it beachballs for 30-60 seconds at a time after literally every single click.

If I try to put it into Recovery on boot with Cmd R, it hangs completely and won't go past the white boot screen.

I'm trying to get into Recovery so I can do a net install of OS X like I did when I installed the SSD, but I can't even get there. If I don't hold Cmd R on boot, after entering the user/pass it runs through 5 minutes of what appears to be the progress bar for updates.

What's going on here?

VERTiG0 fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Jul 19, 2016

Storysmith
Dec 31, 2006

VERTiG0 posted:

If I don't hold Cmd R on boot, after entering the user/pass it runs through 5 minutes of what appears to be the progress bar for updates.

What's going on here?

You using full disk encryption? Turning it on replaces the greeter with something that looks like the greeter but only acts to decrypt the volume so it can boot the actual OS. If not, I have no idea what's going on.

Teratrain
Aug 23, 2007
Waiting for Godot
I'm looking to get myself a 250GB drive but it seems pretty difficult to get any real information or recommendations. I'm erring towards the Intel 540 series but Samsung seems to be doing OK at the moment. Can anyone help railroad me in the right direction here?

I'll probably just be using it for my OS and maybe some games. Figure it's time to upgrade from the 64GB drive I've irreparably thrashed as my OS drive for the last few years.

I like this thread but it's really difficult to glean info from with the outdated OP and mishmash of con/prosumer/pro chat. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Enallyniv posted:

I'm looking to get myself a 250GB drive but it seems pretty difficult to get any real information or recommendations. I'm erring towards the Intel 540 series but Samsung seems to be doing OK at the moment. Can anyone help railroad me in the right direction here?

I'll probably just be using it for my OS and maybe some games. Figure it's time to upgrade from the 64GB drive I've irreparably thrashed as my OS drive for the last few years.

I like this thread but it's really difficult to glean info from with the outdated OP and mishmash of con/prosumer/pro chat. :(

Get a Samsung 850 EVO.

• Locked thread