Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

tacopie posted:

Just trying to make it to 20.. about 4.5 years to go. Every day is a day where I wake up and tell myself "just a little over four to go lil buddy!".

23 months. Enough to count by PRT cycles remaining. :toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

vulturesrow posted:

23 months. Enough to count by PRT cycles remaining. :toot:

Been out for a month, :feelsgood:

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Holy poo poo, who buys a house when you're eligible for orders?

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

Godholio posted:

Holy poo poo, who buys a house when you're eligible for orders?

Someone dumb enough to enlist.

Null Integer
Mar 1, 2006

A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.

Fart Sandwiches posted:

Someone dumb enough to enlist.

Dumb enough to join the Navy

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

DustyNuts posted:

Wow did this thread fuckin die or what. I'm still in the Navy.

Still in the Reserves and regretting it one weekend a month. Disability rating finally came back, good poo poo. I wouldn't say I regret the ten years I did active, they set me up for what I view as a pretty easy civ life.

BTW everyone should try to get a government job when they get out, they're the best.

RCK-101
Feb 19, 2008

If a recruiter asks you to become a nuclear sailor.. you say no

PneumonicBook posted:

Still in the Reserves and regretting it one weekend a month. Disability rating finally came back, good poo poo. I wouldn't say I regret the ten years I did active, they set me up for what I view as a pretty easy civ life.

BTW everyone should try to get a government job when they get out, they're the best.

Does state government count? My dad did that (and if all goes well, 1.5 months left in the navy. Oh god where did the time go)

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Ryand-Smith posted:

Does state government count? My dad did that (and if all goes well, 1.5 months left in the navy. Oh god where did the time go)

Probably? Just have to make it passed your probation period and you're mostly golden.

Hobolicious
Oct 7, 2012

The military might of a country represents its national strength. Only when it builds up its military might in every way can it develop into a thriving country.

PneumonicBook posted:

This has always been my plan. I hear the process takes forever though.

Nwabudike Morgan
Dec 31, 2007
If you're trying to get a government job that is where the reserves are mad useful because you will likely have good connections from your fellow weekend warriors for a job. But besides that the reserves is the shittiest thing in the universe oh my god

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Ryand-Smith posted:

Depends. Are you in one of the few states that still offers jobs with real paychecks and benefits or are you in one of the many ones that destroyed public sector employment out of jealousy and "MY TAX DOLLARS"?

Gray Matter
Apr 20, 2009

There's something inside your head..

Nwabudike Morgan posted:

If you're trying to get a government job that is where the reserves are mad useful because you will likely have good connections from your fellow weekend warriors for a job. But besides that the reserves is the shittiest thing in the universe oh my god
Surely it can't be shittier than being active duty while boatposting this? :ohdear:

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Gray Matter posted:

Surely it can't be shittier than being active duty while boatposting this? :ohdear:

The biggest problem I have with it is I'm more or less dreading it all month, than I go and it's super easy but also a little annoying. Also you've got the typical super moto dudes, and so much training, it's kind of absurd. It's not like it's actually hard, just first world complaining.

Gray Matter
Apr 20, 2009

There's something inside your head..

How is urinalysis handled in the reserves? Asking for a friend

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe
25% of reservists each day every weekend. You can get nabbed for both days.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Gray Matter posted:

Random each weekend, occasional command sweep.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Gray Matter posted:

Some guy looked at my dick today, ask me anything.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

PneumonicBook posted:

Some guy looked at my dick today, ask me anything.

Did you take a poo poo during the urinalysis? That was my favorite way to do them.

Hobolicious
Oct 7, 2012

The military might of a country represents its national strength. Only when it builds up its military might in every way can it develop into a thriving country.

Mr. Nice! posted:

Did you take a poo poo during the urinalysis? That was my favorite way to do them.

I didn't realize there was any other way to do them.

RCK-101
Feb 19, 2008

If a recruiter asks you to become a nuclear sailor.. you say no

Stultus Maximus posted:

Depends. Are you in one of the few states that still offers jobs with real paychecks and benefits or are you in one of the many ones that destroyed public sector employment out of jealousy and "MY TAX DOLLARS"?

my dad works in NYC for a reason (because the fatass loving killed Jersey i hope chris christie gets a loving heart attack the fat gently caress is the worse if he dies it would be too soon, gently caress him, gently caress his couch gently caress his fat rear end if the state senate had balls they would impeach his dumb rear end gently caress him.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Mr. Nice! posted:

I used to drop trow all the way to my ankles like a 5 year old kid and then talk the pee out for max awkwardness.

(I wasn't a shy pisser or anything but if you're gonna meatgaze I'm gonna make it awkward as gently caress)

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002
I've only ever run into one guy who really really insisted on seeing the urine leave the body.

He was a huge sperg so no matter how awkward i tried to make it, he didn't pick up on it.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

I once stood by the most bashful officer for 90 minutes before he could get a weak tinkle. Was getting so bored I was about to offer to suck start it just so we could be done.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

lol if you didn't just get out after your initial obligation and use the sweet sweet GI Bill

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Hobolicious posted:

This has always been my plan. I hear the process takes forever though.

Getting back on the Gov't tit. We've had two openings for a job that requires no prior experience for over a year now. We did one round of hiring and everyone who was offered the job passed presumably because you get the bottom of the pay-band and its in the Bay Area which is very expensive. What my boss was telling me was that with the current laws and system you basically have no option but to hire Veteran's with disabilities (which is fine, guy I work with has sleep apnea and I got a bad back) so basically if we get 500 applicants and only 30 have the points they are the only ones interviewed. And when that list of people is whittled down to 10 and they all decline we can't go back into the pile, we have to start again.

So yeah we are doing another round, so either way I'm looking at 6 more months of overtime?

Gov't Job tip: Bring your own pillow to work, the ones they provide are almost certainly petri dishes.

Seqenenra
Oct 11, 2005
Secret

Blackchamber posted:

Getting back on the Gov't tit. We've had two openings for a job that requires no prior experience for over a year now. We did one round of hiring and everyone who was offered the job passed presumably because you get the bottom of the pay-band and its in the Bay Area which is very expensive. What my boss was telling me was that with the current laws and system you basically have no option but to hire Veteran's with disabilities (which is fine, guy I work with has sleep apnea and I got a bad back) so basically if we get 500 applicants and only 30 have the points they are the only ones interviewed. And when that list of people is whittled down to 10 and they all decline we can't go back into the pile, we have to start again.

So yeah we are doing another round, so either way I'm looking at 6 more months of overtime?

Gov't Job tip: Bring your own pillow to work, the ones they provide are almost certainly petri dishes.

Something to keep in mind, I've sat on a bunch of hiring boards and while the points will get your resume in the door, remember that it will probably be a bunch of random GS types (maybe one or 2 that do the job that you are applying for) that score your resume. Some of the people looking over your resume might not know anything about the job that you're applying for, so leave out acronyms that they might not know, or spell it out for them. Don't write it like you have been writing your evals since forever. Nobody gives a gently caress how many sailors that you led, trained or whatever. Write your resume, especially the most recent job period, to contain the stuff that you want to do. You don't want the people that are scanning your resume to have to try and filter out what you have experience in. If you make it hard to read, or if you bury the relevant job experience, they'll throw it into the garbage pile. There is a USAJOBS thread somewhere in SA, I'll try to find and link it later.

tl;dr Write your resume for the job you're applying for.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Seqenenra posted:

Something to keep in mind, I've sat on a bunch of hiring boards and while the points will get your resume in the door, remember that it will probably be a bunch of random GS types (maybe one or 2 that do the job that you are applying for) that score your resume. Some of the people looking over your resume might not know anything about the job that you're applying for, so leave out acronyms that they might not know, or spell it out for them. Don't write it like you have been writing your evals since forever. Nobody gives a gently caress how many sailors that you led, trained or whatever. Write your resume, especially the most recent job period, to contain the stuff that you want to do. You don't want the people that are scanning your resume to have to try and filter out what you have experience in. If you make it hard to read, or if you bury the relevant job experience, they'll throw it into the garbage pile. There is a USAJOBS thread somewhere in SA, I'll try to find and link it later.

tl;dr Write your resume for the job you're applying for.

Alternatively, nepotism.

I kid.

Kind of.

Hobolicious
Oct 7, 2012

Seqenenra posted:

There is a USAJOBS thread somewhere in SA, I'll try to find and link it later.

Saved you the trouble. It's under BFC.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3324421

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

I didn't even know that subforum existed.

Seqenenra
Oct 11, 2005
Secret

Godholio posted:

I didn't even know that subforum existed.

There is a lot of good info, but they need to add a section on nepotism.

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
Our former Chief of Information works for the state department now after a tiny tenure at the navy position. The latest one is retiring after just a few months. I guess no more All Hands magazine..

E.added position. 🎉

Seqenenra
Oct 11, 2005
Secret

PneumonicBook posted:

Alternatively, nepotism.

I kid.

Kind of.

On a somewhat serious note, I've seen this happen and it generated a fair amount of hate.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

So? That's hate below. That's normal. Only hate from above matters.

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

His smile; it shines in the darkest of depths. There is hope yet.
My goal is to get a master's at a decent school (looking at Georgetown, Columbia, George Washington, and American U) and network through the faculty to get an upward mobility job in DOD, DOS, or (shivers) Homeland.

I'm still interested in pol-mil policy. Spending most of my time on deployment reading all I can on SIPR about us military on a large scale to prepare for this.

I feel like once you hit the that revolving door of Beltway bandits once and make a decent name for yourself you're golden.

Null Integer
Mar 1, 2006

A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.

Howard Phillips posted:

I'm still interested in pol-mil policy. Spending most of my time on deployment reading all I can on SIPR about us military on a large scale to prepare for this.

Sir, can you give an explanation of why you believe my teachings to be wrong on every level? I've been teaching this for 20 years!

It's classified....

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.
See my only desire is to get as far away as possible from government work when I retire. I've been dealing with that poo poo for 20 years, why would I do more? :iiam:

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
You get snow days as a government employee, and you can wear sweat pants to work if you really wanted.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

On a plane about to head to Poland on the govt dime, occasionally dark clouds have a silver lining.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002
4 more years. Then getting out and smoking weed everyday doing pen testing or something as a dirty civilian.

4. More. Years.

Hopefully i can avoid chief during this time frame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

Laranzu posted:

4 more years. Then getting out and smoking weed everyday doing pen testing or something as a dirty civilian.

4. More. Years.

Hopefully i can avoid chief during this time frame.

Pen testing as a civ is super awesome btw. Been on a few contracts around the country and I love it.

• Locked thread