Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

naem
May 29, 2011

shadow puppet of a posted:

Sleeve is awful, having to look down before you bellow at what you hope is an ensign. Pips should be a thing out in the real world right now. Like so you can know who is the head barista or if you are speaking to someone who was a valedictorian or instead a mere salutatorian.

I want maester chains for my masters degree like in GoT

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

FrensaGeran posted:

Does anyone remember that old review of sub rosa? It goes through the whole story in excruciating detail and eventually reveals it to be an Anne Rice ripoff.

I can't find it.

Was it the Agony Booth review of it?

http://www.agonybooth.com/article-groups/star-trek-the-next-generation-sub-rosa

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

This could have bought you a half a tank of gas, lmfao -
Love, gromdul

criscodisco posted:

Wrist braids look too middle school drama club for me. Or something that belongs in Estelle Getty.

More auto-correct, or just a very specific fantasy?

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

When they passed out body parts in the comics today, I got Cathy's nose and Dick Tracy's private parts.

Man, flashbacks to the halcyon days of '04!

Used to love Agony Booth. The site kinda went to poo poo when they switched to video reviews and tried to imitate TGWTG/Nostalgia Critic.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
No Estelle Getty always used to wear very stiff-looking dresses that had lots of rope detailing at the cuffs and collar.

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

There are plenty of terrible admirals. Too bad they got rid of Commodore rank.

Tricky D
Apr 1, 2005

I love um!
You gotta figure that starfleet captains like those who get centrally featured on TV are exceptional. Every time a major threat rolls into federation space every other ship that responds gets annihilated leading to a situation where the only people available to staff the admiralty are career desk jockies and outright cowards.

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

Good point. Of course Janeway is too crazy not t promote.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
who else is secretly dtf w ensign wildman

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

This could have bought you a half a tank of gas, lmfao -
Love, gromdul

criscodisco posted:

No Estelle Getty always used to wear very stiff-looking dresses that had lots of rope detailing at the cuffs and collar.

quote:

something that belongs in Estelle Getty

It's not the Estelle Getty part of that which I thought might be an auto-correct artifact.

Tricky D posted:

You gotta figure that starfleet captains like those who get centrally featured on TV are exceptional. Every time a major threat rolls into federation space every other ship that responds gets annihilated leading to a situation where the only people available to staff the admiralty are career desk jockies and outright cowards.

This is way too grounded for this thread.

Tricky D
Apr 1, 2005

I love um!

Centripetal Horse posted:

It's not the Estelle Getty part of that which I thought might be an auto-correct artifact.

This is way too grounded for this thread.

Star Trek makes a lot more sense when you view Starfleet as a jobs program for the few federation citizens too dumb to spend their lives doing drugs and loving each other on the holodeck all day because they live in a post scarcity society.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Tricky D posted:

Star Trek makes a lot more sense when you view Starfleet as a jobs program for the few federation citizens too dumb to spend their lives doing drugs and loving each other on the holodeck all day because they live in a post scarcity society.

Not really because every time we actually see Earth none of that is happening. It's just a bunch of stupid assholes admiring each others lame art and running restaurants/cafes complete with dishes done by hand for no reason other than hipsterism. People join Starfleet to get away from it.

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

This has been brought up before in this thread. Starfleet is made up of outliers of federation society. They can't take living in a civilized society. Only facing the horrors of the final frontier is can they live an meaningful life.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
Oh no that old bitch was full of rope, too.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

Hector Beerlioz posted:

I lost a friend cause he told me the titanic sunk and ruined the film for me

That really would put a relationship on ice.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
This baseball episode of DS9 is fun as hell.

O'Brien replicating scotch-infused gum.

Odo practicing umpire poo poo in his glass-walled office and people looking at him.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
if you need any further proof that starfleet are basically a bunch of idiosyncratic autists who can't function in normal society, i would direct you to the fact that a bunch of them are obsessed with 20th century american culture.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Reminder that Sisko and Kasidy was one of the few real adult relationships in any Trek series.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
also yes most of them fall in love with spacebabes and astrogigolos in like one week's time max

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Yeah Sisko and Kasidy is more on the line of an actual partnership rather than just meaningless infatuation or plot reasons melodramatic fooferaw.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
Honestly once energy became free and hologram/replicator technology, the only time I'd leave the house would be to have an anus rejuvenation to liven things up after almost constant nailings. Color me beautiful.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

criscodisco posted:

Honestly once energy became free and hologram/replicator technology, the only time I'd leave the house would be to have an anus rejuvenation to liven things up after almost constant nailings. Color me beautiful.

But couldn't a holographic doctor do that with replicated tools?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
You know what was stupid design? Those wrist-mounted flashlights that the Voyager away team uses. Those things are loving awful. They must have been the inspiration for Doom3.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
They were better than the TNG flashlights that you had to hold up like you were using a mirror to reflect sunlight and signal someone in morse code.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

"palm beacons"

Grumio
Sep 20, 2001

in culina est

Trast posted:

I remember reading somewhere that the Dominion had encountered the Borg on the edge of their frontier. And there was some bullshit about gem hadar resisting nanoprobes so the Borg hosed off to do other things.

Borg take over the Dominion:

"Your biological and technological distinctiveness will be added to our own"
[A day later]
"Man, I sure could go for some Ketracel White right about now"
"gently caress"

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

Nevermind

Automatic Slim fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Apr 22, 2022

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

Noctone posted:

who else is secretly dtf w ensign wildman

Having a kid is a deal breaker for me

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Tricky D posted:

Gene Roddenberry wrote in his novelization of The Motion Picture that most Earth humans are way too up their own asses to cope with the possibility of someone who's smarter or more powerful, and the people who join Starfleet are basically the knuckledraggers who are too dumb and/or stubborn to quit in the face of space gods or marauding planet-killers or what-have-you.

RVWinkle
Aug 24, 2004

In relating the circumstances which have led to my confinement within this refuge for the demented, I am aware that my present position will create a natural doubt of the authenticity of my narrative.
Nap Ghost

criscodisco posted:

I want to get a Spaceballs Winnebago and just constantly explore. Replicate blunts and watch a super nova, visit a nebula, and what ever space phenomenon. Then you could go planet hopping having sex with one of each race Andorian, Cardassian, Breen, ad infinitum.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

The non-Starfleet citizens have a bunch of future facebook posts always talking about how homeless starfleet vets should be taken care of before they let in a single Cardassian

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I watched the Hirogen Nazi two-parter, and while the episode as a whole was boring as poo poo, it was almost worth it to see Klingons going apeshit on SS officers. It's so absurd that it ends up being great.

Then I watched the OMEGA PROTOCOL episode where Janeway forces 7 to blow her God out the airlock and blow it up. Pretty boring, but just :laffo: at having the Borg worship a loving particle like some kind of autistic nerd society.

I think I watched the episode where the Doctor has to correct a future race who think Voyager was a dictatorship or whatever. 10 minutes of entertainment followed by 35 minutes of wasted potential.

By that point my buzz had finally worn off and I was unable to withstand any further brain damage. The secret to almost enjoying Voyager is to only watch it after you've been drinking all night.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
Pot helps too.

The Omega thing is extra stupid because it locks up all the computers in the ship and just flashes the Omega symbol over and over. Wouldn't they be better to just have it pop up on the screen that the captain has a private communique in their quarters? Surely it would be designed with the idea that the ship wouldn't be likely to be out of communications range.

Now, no matter what the captain does about the Omega particle, they have to come up with a lie to their crew who is constantly going to ask questions they're not supposed to know the answer to.

I wonder if it was lighting up on tricorders and poo poo, too. Make sure everyone knew. It'd probably lead to a mutiny.

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

Not to mention the borg know everything a starfleet captain would know about Omega. And Starfleet stopped their research, because they considered it too dangerous, not because they ran out of whatever ore it was refined from like the borg did. So basically wouldn't the borg have maybe sent like a thousand assimilation cubes to federation space in pursuit of their holy grail?

Voyager is stupid in new ways in every episode.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.

Automatic Slim posted:

This has been brought up before in this thread. Starfleet is made up of outliers of federation society. They can't take living in a civilized society. Only facing the horrors of the final frontier is can they live an meaningful life.

There was that episode with the guys who didn't want to do away missions being forced to go on an away mission. Science redshirt said he wanted to do research at Space College or whatever but they told him to do a stint with Starfleet to get some real world experience.

Starfleet is basically an unpaid internship.

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

Mondian posted:

Voyager is stupid in new ways in every episode.

Volcott posted:

Starfleet is basically an unpaid internship.

In a post capitalist post scarcity society, isn't everything an unpaid internship?

Automatic Slim fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Apr 22, 2022

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
Don't like anyone of the available unpaid internship? Make one up! I spend 60 hours a week trying to perfect jambalaya.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
You spend decades perfecting your jambalaya game and then one day you do it; you make the best jambalaya yet. You have the replicator scan it and submit it to the food database. Now everyone has better jambalaya. Your life was worth living.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

criscodisco posted:

Pot helps too.

The Omega thing is extra stupid because it locks up all the computers in the ship and just flashes the Omega symbol over and over. Wouldn't they be better to just have it pop up on the screen that the captain has a private communique in their quarters? Surely it would be designed with the idea that the ship wouldn't be likely to be out of communications range.

Now, no matter what the captain does about the Omega particle, they have to come up with a lie to their crew who is constantly going to ask questions they're not supposed to know the answer to.

I wonder if it was lighting up on tricorders and poo poo, too. Make sure everyone knew. It'd probably lead to a mutiny.

Even more absurd is how apparently the entire senior staff can't recognize a Greek omega symbol. These idiots are supposed to be learning calculus in 5th grade, but common Greek symbols are too far beyond their knowledge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Even more absurd is how apparently the entire senior staff can't recognize a Greek omega symbol. These idiots are supposed to be learning calculus in 5th grade, but common Greek symbols are too far beyond their knowledge.

Only Vinny, Voyager's space electrician recognized it, but no one ever asks his opinion on things like resistance or voltage drop.