Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

JoshTheStampede posted:

Yeah, Stewart and Tarr expressly tried to retcon TKJ

I keep hearing people say this and I just don't see how it's true. The entire scene where people say "Oh they tried to retcon TKJ" comes in a story about a villain screwing with Barbara's memories. Like, if you dislike Stewart/Fletcher/Tarr's run with the character, that's fine, but it seems like you're deliberately misreading things just to poo poo talk a story you don't like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

To be honest, I really like The Killing Joke and think it's a fantastic story, but I don't think Joker taking nude pics of Barbra really adds anything to it.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Most retellings downplay the sexual assault so much that you probably wouldn't even know it happened unless you read the original story, and even in there it was kinda vague. I certainly didn't know about it for a long time, and I came into DC at a period when they were, like, re-showing that scene of Joker shooting Barbara every other week.

catlord posted:

Holy loving poo poo, what is this from? This looks amazing.
The Legend of Wonder Woman by Renae de Liz! It was a weekly digital comic that ran for a while and has since finished, but the print edition is catching up in stores now. And yes, there's going to be a volume 2.

:toot:

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Roth posted:

To be honest, I really like The Killing Joke and think it's a fantastic story, but I don't think Joker taking nude pics of Barbra really adds anything to it.

He was really really trying to break Gordon. So that would be a pretty effective way to do it.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Codependent Poster posted:

He was really really trying to break Gordon. So that would be a pretty effective way to do it.

I suppose, but already having crippled her and gloating about it would have gotten the point across I think. The photos just feel kinda gratuitous to me.

I guess this could just be a case where I'm more just against the concept because I feel that rape/sexual assault is something that really doesn't belong in mainstream superhero comics than because I think it actively makes the story worse.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

Travis343 posted:

I mean, you make decent points with the rest of your post, but this is loving comic books we're talking about. None of this poo poo actually happened so maybe let's not act like this is Japan refusing to acknowledge Nanking or some poo poo.
I meant it more in a cultural context, since TKJ is such a prolific Batman story, but fair enough.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

WickedHate posted:

But the "ideas are bulletproof" scene was like, really cool.

That happened in the book too. Though under very different circumstances.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Roth posted:

I suppose, but already having crippled her and gloating about it would have gotten the point across I think. The photos just feel kinda gratuitous to me.

I guess this could just be a case where I'm more just against the concept because I feel that rape/sexual assault is something that really doesn't belong in mainstream superhero comics than because I think it actively makes the story worse.

It depends on the story. With this as an out of continuity story, the naked pictures make sense because the Joker has no line he won't cross to win. Winning is breaking Gordon at any cost. It's why I like the interpretation that Batman kills him at the end. Gordon proves himself better than both.

In continuity, yeah, it's too much. The Joker shouldn't come back as just a recurring supervillain. It's almost the same problem they had when they turned Dr. Light into a rapist and then he became Dr. Rape who wanted to rape everyone. For a serial story, you can't make characters cross some lines and expect to go back to standard superhero stuff.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Call me a pearl-clutcher but I feel like there's some characters that should be safe for kids to get into. Most people get into comics as little kids reading Superman, Batman, Spiderman, etc. and I feel like comics really loses something bringing something to certain characters that is on that tier of adult content. I feel that this is part of the reason Big 2 superhero books are dying off and you'll notice all the hot new titles that are selling like hotcakes and bringing in new readers are the fun, accessible titles like Ms. Marvel, Batgirl, etc. that younger people can get into without worrying about that kind of poo poo.

I think there's definitely a space for that content in comics, and even in superhero comics, but trying to graft something that serious on to characters that are absolutely not set up to support that kind of weight is a recipe for disaster.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

It came out as a Prestige Graphic Novel, so probably deliberately out of the newstands little Timmy and Sally would get their funny books at.

E: Did it originally warn of adult content?

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 14:01 on Jul 16, 2016

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...
I think my biggest problem with TKJ is how the animated movies are using it. Batgirl hasn't been in the animated films other than showing up and saying nothing at the end of Bad Blood. The next big film is going to be The Killing Joke. So not only will it be a story where Barbra goes through a whole bunch of physical and mental trauma so that Batman and Gordon can be sad about it, it's also going to be the Barbra Gordon origin story for the films.

I suppose you could say the animated movies are for comics fans so we know who Barbra is and this presumably isn't the viewers' first introduction to Barbra Gordon, but I still feel like compared to how the other Bat family members were introduced to the DC animated universe, Barbra's getting the worst introduction behind Batwoman (where her backstory is changed slightly to make her a lot less competent).

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Roth posted:

The ending scene between Batman and the Joker is, honestly, perfect. It's too bad those few pages are attached to the rest of the garbage fire.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

DrProsek posted:

I think my biggest problem with TKJ is how the animated movies are using it. Batgirl hasn't been in the animated films other than showing up and saying nothing at the end of Bad Blood. The next big film is going to be The Killing Joke. So not only will it be a story where Barbra goes through a whole bunch of physical and mental trauma so that Batman and Gordon can be sad about it, it's also going to be the Barbra Gordon origin story for the films.

I suppose you could say the animated movies are for comics fans so we know who Barbra is and this presumably isn't the viewers' first introduction to Barbra Gordon, but I still feel like compared to how the other Bat family members were introduced to the DC animated universe, Barbra's getting the worst introduction behind Batwoman (where her backstory is changed slightly to make her a lot less competent).

The animated movies aren't really a new DC Animated Universe. They're rough adaptations of stories from the comics, some are in continuity with each other, some aren't. Year One, DKR, and now TKJ are probably just there because they're popular enough comics.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

Travis343 posted:

The animated movies aren't really a new DC Animated Universe. They're rough adaptations of stories from the comics, some are in continuity with each other, some aren't. Year One, DKR, and now TKJ are probably just there because they're popular enough comics.

True, I guess I didn't really mean introduction into the animated film continuity so much as it's the first animated film to use the character and it's TKJ.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

DrProsek posted:

True, I guess I didn't really mean introduction into the animated film continuity so much as it's the first animated film to use the character and it's TKJ.

I really hope nobody's watching those animated movies as their only consumption of Bat-stories. That's a super depressing thought.

e: ugh somebody definitely is, though

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Travis343 posted:

I really hope nobody's watching those animated movies as their only consumption of Bat-stories. That's a super depressing thought.

e: ugh somebody definitely is, though

I remember chatting to someone at a bus stop who knew who Damian Wayne was but who had never read a comic, so yeah, it happens.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

TwoPair posted:

I keep hearing people say this and I just don't see how it's true. The entire scene where people say "Oh they tried to retcon TKJ" comes in a story about a villain screwing with Barbara's memories. Like, if you dislike Stewart/Fletcher/Tarr's run with the character, that's fine, but it seems like you're deliberately misreading things just to poo poo talk a story you don't like.

No, I'm repeating things Tarr and Stewart said in a panel. They asked if they could retcon TKJ and were told no. I wasn't talking about the scene that actually made it in, that was their compromise.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

DrProsek posted:

I agree, but also I think it's important to acknowledge that Bruce Timm and the rest of the team on the animated movie are actually showing Barbara as Batgirl in the film too. The book only brought her in to get shot, but the movie is at least going to highlight her time as Batgirl in order to give her more agency and not make it all about Gordon's pain.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Aphrodite posted:

I don't know, I have it on good authority that it's a crime akin to murder to change Alan Moore works.

Alan Moore hates the Killing Joke though.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Alan Moore is a grump about everything. (but in this case, he's right)

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
Frank Cho has elaborated on his story.

quote:

Wonder Woman was my dream job at DC Comics. I love and respect the character very much. When I was invited by DC to draw the 24 variant covers for Wonder Woman, I was ecstatic. I was told that I had complete freedom on the variant covers and the only person in charge of me was the senior art director, Mark Chiarello, who I greatly respect. Win-win for everyone.

Now the variant covers are handled by entirely separate editorial office than the rest of the books. I was given assurance that I would not have to deal with the Wonder Woman book writer or editor at all, and were told I would only be dealing with Mark Chiarello. So I came onboard and started working right away.

Everything went smoothly at first. I turned in my first batch of cover sketches and Chiarello approved them, and I started finishing and inking them ASAP since these were biweekly covers and we had limited time. Then Chiarello started getting art notes from Greg Rucka ordering him to tell me to alter and change things on the covers. (Remove arm band, make the skirt longer and wider to cover her up, showing too much skin, add the lasso here, etc.) Well, Chiarello and I were baffled and annoyed by Greg Rucka’s art change orders. More so, since the interior pages were showing the same amount or more skin than my variant covers. (For example: Issue #2, panel One, etc.) I requested that Greg Rucka back off and let me do my variant covers in peace. After all, these were minor and subjective changes. And let’s face it, being told by a non-artistic freelancer what I can and cannot draw didn’t sit too well with me.

Then things got ugly. Apparently unbeknownst to Chiarello and me, DC, for whatever reason, gave Greg Rucka complete and total editorial control on Wonder Woman including variant covers by contract. My promises of creative freedom were verbal. I think this is a case of complete miscommunication and things falling through the crack during the post-DC headquarter move to LA. Had I’ve known Greg Rucka had complete editorial control over the variant covers, I would have never came onboard Wonder Woman.

Since we were on the same team with the same goal – making great Wonder Woman comics, Mark Chiarello and I tried to reason with Greg Rucka to back off and let me do the variant covers in peace. But Rucka refused and tried to hammer me in line. Things escalated and got toxic very fast. The act of a freelance writer art directing me, overruling my senior art director, altering my artwork without consent was too much. I realized after Rucka’s problems with my Wonder Woman #3 variant cover, my excitement and desire for the project have completely disappeared and I decided to bow out quietly after I finish my Wonder Woman #4 variant cover. (This was around end of May.) But DC wanted me to stay and finish out #5 and #6 covers to give them some time to find my replacement.

Emphasis mine.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Rucka sounds like a real dick asking Cho to make his arts on-model.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I like how he seems to think making great WW comics is somehow accomplished through variant covers.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Rucka sounds like a dick for getting all pissy about some gorgeous variant covers. He must have gotten DC by the balls when they wanted him back for another go at Wonder Woman.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Everything we've heard is from Cho, Rucka has not commented at all yet so I'm waiting to hear something from Mark Chiarello or anyone at DC other than the vague stuff that I posted earlier.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Alhazred posted:

Alan Moore hates the Killing Joke though.

Yeah I'm sure he wishes he made the sexual assault more explicit, and also that Barbara was 5 years younger.

vseslav.botkin
Feb 18, 2007
Professor
I'm a huge fan of both Rucka and Cho, and I don't think that his last cover was really that titillating, but Rucka's totally within his rights to ask for revisions, especially since Cho's just doing covers.

That said, if DC promised notorious Dirty Boy Cho creative freedom, then this is clearly, once again, mostly DC editorial's fault.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Die Laughing posted:

Rucka sounds like a dick for getting all pissy about some gorgeous variant covers. He must have gotten DC by the balls when they wanted him back for another go at Wonder Woman.

It was Ruckas book, they gave him control and he didn't want some Mediocre covers ruining that. It happens all the time but Cho is a giant baby so.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

vseslav.botkin posted:

I'm a huge fan of both Rucka and Cho, and I don't think that his last cover was really that titillating, but Rucka's totally within his rights to ask for revisions, especially since Cho's just doing covers.

That said, if DC promised notorious Dirty Boy Cho creative freedom, then this is clearly, once again, mostly DC editorial's fault.

You're assuming an awful lot taking Cho at his word here considering his history of poo poo-stirring and painting himself as the heroic champion of artistic freedom against a horde of fun-hating PC thugs desperate to silence his first amendment rights.

I don't blame Rucka for not wanting Cho anywhere near his Wonder Woman. He's a great artist but something like this was 100% guaranteed to happen from the second Cho got handed variant cover duties. I wouldn't be shocked if DC did this on purpose for some free controversy/publicity, they have to know the kind of rep Cho is working with at this point. And if I was Rucka, complete creative control over the printed product that hits the stands would absolutely be a pre-req for me to get back in bed with DC. I don't blame him whatsoever.

I feel like the most accurate version of this is something like:

Cho: *draws panties*
Rucka: Do we really need to see the panties, though
Cho: loving sjws *stomps off in a huff, slams door*

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

Even with Cho telling his side of the story with no word at all from Rucka, this sounds like Cho and Rucka were promised different things when they came onboard, those promised conflicted, the writer's promises won out over the variant cover artist. Doesn't sound like Rucka and PC gone wild, just that DC promised both guys the same final call on variant covers.

vseslav.botkin
Feb 18, 2007
Professor

Travis343 posted:

You're assuming an awful lot taking Cho at his word here considering his history of poo poo-stirring and painting himself as the heroic champion of artistic freedom against a horde of fun-hating PC thugs desperate to silence his first amendment rights.

Cho loves to stir poo poo, but as far as I know he's not much for lying. And I think I'm assuming more based on DC's track record. I see it going more like this:

DC: Those are some top notch panties! Do you want to draw Wonder Woman?
Cho: okay but I want creative control
DC: sure
Rucka: *is not a dirty boy*
DC: do you want to write Wonder Woman?
Rucka: no.
DC: we'll give you creative control
Rucka: well, okay
Rucka: Do we really need to see the panties, though
DC: *crops panties*
Cho: loving sjws *stomps off in a huff, slams door*

This is some frog and scorpion poo poo, except the scorpion draws pictures of beefy naked ladies.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Die Laughing posted:

Well, yes, they've wanted him back for years. He's a critically acclaimed writer, including prior runs on Wonder Woman. He's a pretty big deal, to the point I think he actually got to override Bendis when he wanted to do a Cyclops book. If Marvel was willing to let him do that, then yeah, I can easily see DC letting him override Cho, who while is a good artist is a toxic PR issue. It's not like he was even the regular artist. This may sound like heresy, but a comic can do just fine without variant covers. If he was the regular artist, then yeah, there'd be a problem - but no way would those two ever be put on a book together as the regular creative team. Honestly putting Cho in any capacity on a Rucka was a stupid idea in the first place.

Wasn't one of the other conditions in Rucka's contract that Wonder Woman is no longer the remit of Eddie Berganza? That makes two awful people not working on Wondy any more because of Rucka. Good.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
DC needs Rucka way more than Rucka needs DC. He's a big enough name in the industry that he will always get either guaranteed work or be capable of living off self-published comics. The only reason he came back to DC was because they allowed him to do the Wonder Woman Year One story that he was promised as an OGN before they handed it to Morrison.

So yeah, no surprise they gave Rucka so much control over how his Wonder Woman comic was presented including variants. And frankly Cho has made a name for himself off controversy with those sketch "Outrage" variant covers, and it is no surprise that Rucka is not a fan of his when he's such an rear end.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
It's really unfortunate that Cho can't stop himself from being a fedora wearing red piller, because he's got some drat good chops. Almost as good as Terry Moore.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I really really liked New Superman. Kenan's whole thing with his mom dying in a plane crash and then seeing a clip of Superman he'd never seen before where he rescues a plane, then dreaming about rescuing his mother was really poignant.

And his being a dick being revealed as him doing something he knew was wrong but did anyway because he was emotionally damaged and linked this kid to his mother's death and had trouble regulating was good.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

lotus circle posted:

So yeah, no surprise they gave Rucka so much control over how his Wonder Woman comic was presented including variants. And frankly Cho has made a name for himself off controversy with those sketch "Outrage" variant covers, and it is no surprise that Rucka is not a fan of his when he's such an rear end.

Yeah, if what Cho says is true then it's bad that DC promised both guys creative control over the variant covers while knowing they were going to ultimately give Rucka control, but between making himself the "Outrage!" guy and being surprised DC took sides with the well known writer over the variant cover artist, I think Cho just doesn't understand the business he's in. DC was changing Wonder Woman's editor just so Rucka would come write her. They weren't about to risk losing him to please a variant cover artist with a reputation for being a giant crybaby who is obsessed with pissing off "SJWs", especially not for Wonder Woman. You can't have it both ways where you're the guy who does what he wants, pissing off the tumblrs, and laughs at the OUTRAGE! and then turn around and insist DC show you the same respect they show someone like Greg Rucka.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.

bobkatt013 posted:

Before Omega Men I would say John had more trauma with the wife killed and causing the destruction of a planet.
Nah, you're not going to beat Kyle at being the butt of all horrible happenings.

Off the top of my head Kyle brought his mother back to life then watched her beg him to let her die.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

Travis343 posted:

Remember. this is the guy who said he would "bow out quietly" in the second crybaby drama Internet posting. His version of events may be 100% truthful, and while I'd still agree with Rucka, he may have been an pissy rear end in a top hat about it like Cho says. But I have a really hard time believing him because of the way he's presenting the story.

greatn posted:

I really really liked New Superman. Kenan's whole thing with his mom dying in a plane crash and then seeing a clip of Superman he'd never seen before where he rescues a plane, then dreaming about rescuing his mother was really poignant.

I thought the story was fine, but this really bugged me. When I read it, I didn't see the poignantness of this, because seeing him react that way to the video really through me off. When I read that season, it nearly read like he had never seen a video of Superman do something 'super' before. I knew this wasn't the case, though. Why does Superman catching a plane excite him, regardless of if he'd seen that exact video before or not? Because of his mom? Okay, but... stopping crashing planes is like in the top three of Superman heroic cliches. This video would be as unremarkable in his world as a great sports highlight. Everyone loves Superman, and everyone loves to see him do something awesome, but they've seen him do this a lot. They take it in, then move on. We're not surprised when Ortiz hits a home run.

Maybe this should have gone the exact opposite. Instead of Kenan never seeing the video before, not only has he, but it's his favorite video. People would wonder, why? He's catching a plane, big deal. Seems like he does that on a weekly basis. He loves it because it is his ultimate fantasy: a superhero being there to save his mom's plane. I mean, come on, are you telling me that day is the first day that he ever wished that Superman would have been there for his mom? Are you trying to tell me that him being shown that video was the first time that this idea come to him?

I didn't care for the bullying thing either, but I'm willing to accept that maybe it'll work better as the story goes on. As it stands now, it sucks seeing a bully become Superman. Yeah, he's obviously going to learn about great responsibility, and fat boy will probably become the Ganke to his Miles, but I think that will be hard to pull off without it feeling forced.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
There would be reports of Superman doing poo poo all over, but he does so much a lot of it would just be noise and filtered down to thwarting alien invasions. I'd think video of him catching planes would actually be somewhat rare, especially in a country with strict controls over its internet. It's different hearing about a superhero largely in another country doing lots of stuff and then seeing him do something extremely specific and extremely relevant to you. In his experience his news media probably only covers him insomuch as it either directly affects China or embarrasses a rival nation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Unless the story is about it, acts of super heroism are never treated as mundane.