Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

VanSandman posted:

Of course he likes Mahler.

I'd have guessed Wagner.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ineYcKcfmJQ&t=20s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beepity Boop
Nov 21, 2012

yay

I always love how the brass section just at best covers one ear but otherwise ignores the hammer, while the woodwind section flinches.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
That's because brass players are used to hearing a disaster occurring very close by.

:downsrim:

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

Kinetica posted:

1812 Overture would work well too- replace the cannons with the explosions of the analytical instruments/screams of grad students/glass shattering

No, no, the only appropriate musical accompaniment to the average day at Klapotke Labs is The Anvil Chorus.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Looking back, this thread has been going strong for over 18 months, has a solid 5 rating, and every time I see new posts in the thread it makes me happy. Keep having fun, everyone, we've got a great thing going.

Maybe someday the guy who keeps asking Google Groups whether anything would burn hotter than an octaoxygen-dicyanoacetylene fire (hypothesized temperature over 9400°F) will get his answer.

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

Do you think the Germans that discovered hexadecanitrofullerene had an Oppenheimer "what have I done" moment? Is a 16-nitrogen soccer ball enough?
Apparently not, considering I've seen two theoretical approaches to synthesizing a full N60 molecule.

Gobbeldygook posted:

No. The German who discovered it was this guy, Thomas Klapotke, who goes to work like this.

This is an interview he did with a chemistry journal:

I would have liked to have discovered … the element fluorine.
:neckbeard:

Kinetica
Aug 16, 2011

GWBBQ posted:

Apparently not, considering I've seen two theoretical approaches to synthesizing a full N60 molecule.

I notice that no one has been insane enough to give them grant money yet

Punting
Sep 9, 2007
I am very witty: nit-witty, dim-witty, and half-witty.

Yet, being the key word there.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

What state would N60 take? If it wasn't exploding I mean, gritty powder that explodes with the force of a thousand suns if you look at it funny? Angry liquid of doom that EWTFOATSIYLAIF? Deadly gas cloud of doom that you know the rest?

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

After the last incident, employees are cautioned against speaking, coughing, or thinking too vigorously.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Cakefool posted:

What state would N60 take? If it wasn't exploding I mean, gritty powder that explodes with the force of a thousand suns if you look at it funny? Angry liquid of doom that EWTFOATSIYLAIF? Deadly gas cloud of doom that you know the rest?

I don't think it can exist in a state of not exploding long enough to find out.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

VanSandman posted:

I don't think it can exist in a state of not exploding long enough to find out.

It explodes if you observe it. Sort of like measuring a quantum state.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Cakefool posted:

Past tense?

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Cakefool posted:

Anyone fancy sticking the numbers in SIMPOL or does it just not deal with that?

It's large enough that I think it is unlikely to be a gas at STP.

[edit] How long would it remain at STP though is another way to phrase the much asked question ITT. :v:

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

Do you think the Germans that discovered hexadecanitrofullerene had an Oppenheimer "what have I done" moment? Is a 16-nitrogen soccer ball enough?

Hexadecanitro is 16 nitro groups. Hexadecaazabuckminsterfullerene is a soccer ball made of 16 nitrogen atoms. Hexecontaazabuckminsterfullerene is the full 60.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Cakefool posted:

EWTFOATSIYLAIF

um, gesundheit?

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Woolie Wool posted:

Hexecontaazabuckminsterfullerene

A substance that is the pure incarnation of the :supaburn: smiley.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Woolie Wool posted:

Hexecontaazabuckminsterfullerene is the full 60.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Inaccurate, it wouldn't take that long to explode. :v:

Beepity Boop
Nov 21, 2012

yay

You jerks blew up Google <:mad:>

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
Wouldn't it be hexa- ?

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

GenericOverusedName posted:

Wouldn't it be hexa- ?

I don't believe so:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hexadecahedron 16 faces

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deltoidal_hexecontahedron 60 faces

It's probably simpler just to call it N60 though.

Syd Midnight
Sep 23, 2005

Cakefool posted:

What state would N60 take?

chrisoya posted:

Past tense?

Worthy of a thread title

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Terrible Robot posted:

um, gesundheit?

Cakefool posted:

explodes with the force of a thousand suns if you look at it funny

I just didn't feel like typing it out twice.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
I feel with a prefix like "hexe-" a witch must somehow be involved

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Phy posted:

I feel with a prefix like "hexe-" a witch must somehow be involved

Hex just means 8. Hexene is a perfectly well-behaved chemical.

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo

Gobbeldygook posted:

Hex just means 8. Hexene is a perfectly well-behaved chemical.

"Hex" is six. "Oct" is eight.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
Cross post from the OSHA thread

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2015/03/26/395615637/official-report-nuclear-waste-accident-caused-by-wrong-kitty-litter

quote:

Official Report: Nuclear Waste Accident Caused By Wrong Cat Litter

A yearlong investigation by government scientists has concluded that a major accident at a nuclear waste dump was caused by the wrong brand of cat litter.

The U.S. Department of Energy has released a 277-page report into an explosion that occurred on Feb. 14, 2014, at the Waste Isolation Pilot Plant in New Mexico. According to a summary of the report, the incident occurred when a single drum of nuclear waste, 68660, burst open.

As NPR reported shortly after the accident, cat litter was the chief suspect. The highly absorbent material is great at soaking up liquid nuclear waste, and it has been used for years in cleanup activities at the nation's nuclear laboratories.

Unfortunately, workers at Los Alamos National Laboratory, also in New Mexico, apparently switched from inorganic clay litter to organic litter. According to the report, workers put the brand "Swheat Scoop" inside drum 68660.

"Experiments showed that various combinations of nitrate salt, Swheat Scoop®, nitric acid, and oxalate self-heat at temperatures below 100°C. Computer modeling of thermal runaway was consistent with the observed 70-day birth-to-breach of Drum 68660," the summary of the report concluded.

In other words, the litter caused the drum to burst after it arrived at the dump, releasing radioactive uranium, plutonium and americium throughout the underground facility.

WIPP has come under intense scrutiny since the accident for what critics say was a lax culture of safety and oversight. But the Energy Department wants the dump to get back to work. It hopes to reopen it early next year.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

What kind of idiot puts organic anything in a nuclear waste drum that isn't already radioactive.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Exit Strategy posted:

"Hex" is six. "Oct" is eight.
:downs: I actually tutored people in chemistry. I have no excuse.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Kwyndig posted:

What kind of idiot puts organic anything in a nuclear waste drum that isn't already radioactive.
I think the chemistry faux pas was material incompatibility of the hippy cat litter with oxalate and nitric acid.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

zedprime posted:

I think the chemistry faux pas was material incompatibility of the hippy cat litter with oxalate and nitric acid.

I know that, it was more of a general question.

Also, clay-based litter is literally the cheapest option, so I have no idea why they would have spent more on hippy-dippy organic poo poo powder instead.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Kwyndig posted:

I know that, it was more of a general question.

Also, clay-based litter is literally the cheapest option, so I have no idea why they would have spent more on hippy-dippy organic poo poo powder instead.
Might have started getting the old repeat customer price hike when they knew they had a captive customer? Saw dust isn't an entirely unpopular sorbent and a popular hippy litter ingredient so litter companies might have been the cheapest way to get something saw dust based in bulk.

The take away is the importance of change management for even the simplest of work process or supplier changes. Its a little more general than silica good carbon bad.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
I heard the logic was that they were "trying to be 'green'". Which worked out super well for them, yeah.

Chitin
Apr 29, 2007

It is no sign of health to be well-adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

Cakefool posted:

What state would N60 take?

At LEAST Rhode Island.

Buff Skeleton
Oct 24, 2005

Vando posted:

I heard the logic was that they were "trying to be 'green'". Which worked out super well for them, yeah.

Mission accomplished!

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Vando posted:

If it looked like radioactive waste from the Simpson's then mission accomplished.

honda whisperer has a new favorite as of 01:21 on Jul 20, 2016

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Vando posted:

They probably got a glowing review.

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta

xthetenth posted:

They probably got a glowing review.

Booooo!

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Vando posted:

Swheat Scoop: The Environmentally Responsible Way To Handle Your Pu

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

That article has metastatised across the board this last day. In one of the other threads someone said:

Irradiation posted:

This was caused by a bureaucratic gently caress up. There's a line the original document that says "an organic absorbent" should be used meaning something that can absorb organic material. The inorganic clay worked well but some idiot who knew nothing about the actual chemical reasoning read it and said WE NEED TO SWITCH TO AN ORGANIC BASED ABSORBENT ACCORDING TO THIS SENTENCE because putting organic material and nitrates together with heat is not the stupidest loving idea ever.