Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Huh. Huh! That mission did have a crash bug but I thought we fixed it.

First, run the FreeSpace Open Installer to make sure you have the very latest version of BP.

Second, the error should be automatically copied to your clipboard when the crash occurs - can you drop it in a pastebin?

If not, can you reproduce the error on a debug build, then post your debug log from [your freespace 2 folder]/data/fs2_open.log? Pastebin is a great way to postlogs.

Bubbacub posted:

Just finished WiH 1.

:stare: :stare: :stare: :stare: :stare: :stare: :stare: :stare:

The mission scripting and the ship designs are amazing. What a mindfuck...

Glad you enjoyed!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

I have an event log but no debug log. Do I need to run the debug executable to do that?

I see it includes a symbol file, I wonder how badly it runs with a debugger attached to it.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Yeah, run the debug executable until you hit the error. Patch first to see if it goes away, though!

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

I did get a hash error in the installer last time I patched that I thought I fixed. I'll try that again.

Let me know when you need more voice actors so I can put my fancy professional recording equipment to use and make Bolow hear my voice forever :v:

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

When you have a turret targeted and command your wingmen to "Destroy subsystem" will they attack the turret?

I just finished the mission in War in Heaven Pt 1 where you defend Rheza Station and ran into a problem with the corvette that shows up at the end. The command to disarm the ship was greyed out, and I couldn't get close enough to take out its beam cannons because I'd immediately get blown to bits. I ended up completing the mission (after several retries) by simply ordering all my ships to destroy it, and by some miracle they all survived.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

TheWhiteNightmare posted:

When you have a turret targeted and command your wingmen to "Destroy subsystem" will they attack the turret?

Yes.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

But if you give that order to a whole bomber wing prepare for that beam cannon to eat 8 torpedoes so be, uh, judicious with it. If you've got a high priority beam turret you want down your wing is usually good about doing it fast.

Is there a defined priority of targets when you give your teammates the Disarm order?

Luigi Thirty fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Dec 2, 2015

Night Shade
Jan 13, 2013

Old School

Luigi Thirty posted:

But if you give that order to a whole bomber wing prepare for that beam cannon to eat 8 torpedoes so be, uh, judicious with it. If you've got a high priority beam turret you want down your wing is usually good about doing it fast.

Is there a defined priority of targets when you give your teammates the Disarm order?

I think the AI targets turrets and subsystems in the order they're defined on the ship, which is probably the same order the next turret/subsystem keys cycle through. It also appears to spread fire based on which turrets are currently in its line of sight and how many other AIs are shooting that turret/subsystem, with up to three AIs shooting the same thing before it picks something it has to reposition to shoot.

This is based on a very quick leaf through the AI code, so I could be completely wrong.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

God drat playing through War in Heaven makes me wish I had the patience to make FS2 missions that are more complicated than Destroy X. It's like playing a really good Doom map inspires you to download Doom Builder and bash your head against building a rising staircase for a week.

Burns
May 10, 2008

Goddamn Bear Baiting is actually possibly worse than before. AI wingmen seem to refuse to fire their bombs at the Sathanas' turrets and the rearming ship is goddamn retarded and won't rearm. Urgh.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

I don't think we touched Bearbaiting much except to put the player in a Sekhmet but remember that you only need to take out a couple of beams to win, not all four.

Now if the support ship won't rearm the Sekhmet THAT is a problem we need to look at.

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

I noticed the support ship glitching a couple of times while playing WiH, actually. I mean, it's always been a bit finicky if you move about too much but it seems to have gotten worse. A few times it refused to dock with me even though I flew in a straight line at slow speed, with no enemies nearby. One time it went away to do nothing in particular, other times it seemed to get close and then just match speed with me.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

I've heard that a lot. I wonder if it's an SCP bug or an asset problem.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

It didn't start happening to me until I started flying the Kentauroi in WIH. I have to fly right up to and under the support ship and it'll dock.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I had a great time playing through War in Heaven part 1 and was tremendously disappointed to find out that part 2 doesn't have voice acting. There's just too much going on in the game for me to pay attention to both flying around and reading the dialogue so I suppose I'll just wait before I play.

Excellent work on Part 1, though. The missions were extremely well done and definitely surpassed Freespace 2 in terms of dramatic moments. I think there were several points that required an unfair amount of timing and luck (for example, taking out the Siren's beam cannons in The Plunder), but not enough to detract too much from my enjoyment.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

I'm not there yet but I feel the same way. It's too overwhelming to try to follow along reading the conversations while everything's going to poo poo around you.

In Aristeia, what backup should I call in? I've been stuck on this mission for a while.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Use the F4 key to read any messages you miss.

Burns
May 10, 2008

Finished Freespace 2's campaign. Good work on Their Finest Hour, loved the changes. Now onto Age of Aquarius. Got past the mission where you have to get the ships through the Portal. That was a tough, but exhilarating mission. Then the game crashes :(

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
Who is Admiral Aken Bosch, and what is that old scoundrel up to?
Robert Loggia passed away, complications from Alzheimers. :( I only really know him from Freespace 2 and Independence Day... and Tim and Erics Billion Dollar Movie, but still. His voice was omnipresent in my adolescence because I replayed FS2 countless times.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.

Luigi Thirty posted:

I'm not there yet but I feel the same way. It's too overwhelming to try to follow along reading the conversations while everything's going to poo poo around you.

In Aristeia, what backup should I call in? I've been stuck on this mission for a while.

Call in the bombers for sure to take out the Medea. Other than that, not sure.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Burns posted:

Finished Freespace 2's campaign. Good work on Their Finest Hour, loved the changes. Now onto Age of Aquarius. Got past the mission where you have to get the ships through the Portal. That was a tough, but exhilarating mission. Then the game crashes :(

What kind of error you get?

Burns
May 10, 2008

General Battuta posted:

What kind of error you get?

Ill post it when I'm home although i think i saw a solution on hlp.

Edit: Whatever the issue was did not appear on restarting the game today. The rest of Age of Aquarius worked perfectly.

One more thing, where can I find the soundtrack?

Burns fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Dec 8, 2015

Aesaar
Mar 19, 2015

Luigi Thirty posted:

Strike bombers and interceptors. Bombers cost 5 and interceptors cost 1. Then just C-3-1 the Medea.

RangerKarl
Oct 7, 2013
So Volition did a stream: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yaeMFbIo1A0

(chip you're not on the ball here)

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

A Freespace TBS based on holding back giant Shivan fleets actually sounds pretty cool.

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
That was an entertaining, if not terribly informative, stream. It seems most of those guys legit forgot most things about the game they made nearly two decades ago :)

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Psycho Landlord posted:

A Freespace TBS based on holding back giant Shivan fleets actually sounds pretty cool.
Anything would be great. I love the setting, the storyline, and the physics/solar system travel/whatever that they used and would love another space flyer/shooter sim or something else. I am waiting for Paradox's Stellaris to come out because it is a brand new space 4x with all of the tools available to make a Freespace mod.

RangerKarl
Oct 7, 2013

Mr. Neutron posted:

That was an entertaining, if not terribly informative, stream. It seems most of those guys legit forgot most things about the game they made nearly two decades ago :)

They've had a ton of projects since, it's not terribly surprising. Could you remember the details of your university thesis 10 years after the fact without looking it back up? Also I think it didn't help they were sitting so far away from the screen.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Well, I think if that video proves anything, it's that FS2 is really loving hard if you can't see the screen properly, don't pay attention to the briefings, can't hear the chatter, and only have access to half the commands. :laugh:

RangerKarl
Oct 7, 2013
shoulda just played it with keyboard only.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

So, bumping this thread with some cool stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DUTZipHvgCc

An Erebus and what appears to be a HTL'd up Inferno ship duking it out.

What look like upgunned, uparmored Karunas in a minute of Delenda Est footage. Semi-related, how good is the voice acting for Captain Kyrematen?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PfLL9O-9Upk

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Milky Moor posted:

So, bumping this thread with some cool stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DUTZipHvgCc

An Erebus and what appears to be a HTL'd up Inferno ship duking it out.

What look like upgunned, uparmored Karunas in a minute of Delenda Est footage. Semi-related, how good is the voice acting for Captain Kyrematen?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PfLL9O-9Upk
Good god that poo poo is beautiful coming from an engine that old.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Bort Bortles posted:

Good god that poo poo is beautiful coming from an engine that old.

Speaking of, I just found this. It appears to be the (possible Blue Planet EP 3 spoilers): the Eris and Toutatis attempting to double-team the Atreus.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNWnUPvDvfk

No idea if they're close to release.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Nowhere near a release, sorry.

e: holy poo poo that looks amazing

General Battuta fucked around with this message at 16:02 on May 16, 2016

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

General Battuta posted:

Nowhere near a release, sorry.

alas

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

hello friends. Does anyone know if the Star Wars mod is any good? I've been playing X-Wing for the first time and while it's quite good, it's just mostly making me want to A) skip to TIE Fighter or B) play Freespace 2 again, so if that mod's any good that would be ideal. Thank you! !

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Just skip to Tie Fighter, make sure to play the '95 version since that has the classic music and all the expansions. Tie Fighter is very good.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

but I'm at the end of Tour of Duty 2 and the next one has the Death Star attack :(

I don't think I'm ever going to survive attacking this loving Star Destroyer though so you're probably right.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

The Death Star attack is supremely rage inducing in X-Wing. The issue is that there's no real sense of progress with the first game since you're always in well shielded, mobile ships. Tie Fighter starts you in lovely Tie Fighters and Tie Bombers, and you don't get a shield until the Assault Gunboat. It's a brutal game, but a lot more exhilarating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

The Death Star attack is supremely rage inducing in X-Wing. The issue is that there's no real sense of progress with the first game since you're always in well shielded, mobile ships. Tie Fighter starts you in lovely Tie Fighters and Tie Bombers, and you don't get a shield until the Assault Gunboat. It's a brutal game, but a lot more exhilarating.

turn graphical detail down = trench run is significantly easier

It literally doesn't render 90% of the obstacles

ah, the good old days of getting a few more frames out of a 386...

• Locked thread