Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

Tenebrais posted:

The art for Blindsprings is adorable. The only thing I don't like about it is that it has a filler page for when the comic is late to update, which is frequently, so I'm often checking the site and just seeing the filler page instead of seeing if I've seen the latest page before. (I don't keep close track of when webcomics update, I just flick through my bookmarks every so often)

i was just skimming through the archives and thinking you know, someone could probably stand to tidy this up a bit.

quote:

Early on it seemed to be running a dichotomy of "woman/nature/good, man/science/bad" but it's become more nuanced in the setting's mythology and politics since then.

i really like how this has unfolded so far. like there still seems to be good-bad dichotomy but what that actually entails has gotten a lot messier as more of the workings of the world has been revealed, which nicely pairs with the central character, tammy, being a child and 'growing up'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

I'm itching for some supernatural magicky type webcomic goodness and I'm all caught up on Broodhollow. Can't decide between Paranatural, Unsounded. and Gunnerkrigg Court. Haven't read any of them. Help me decide!

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

MockingQuantum posted:

Can't decide between Paranatural, Unsounded. and Gunnerkrigg Court. Haven't read any of them. Help me decide!

My recommendation is yes.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

MockingQuantum posted:

I'm itching for some supernatural magicky type webcomic goodness and I'm all caught up on Broodhollow. Can't decide between Paranatural, Unsounded. and Gunnerkrigg Court. Haven't read any of them. Help me decide!

Read all of them.

But for general mood, Gunnerkrigg is more mystery and exploraiton, Paranatural is more whimsy and action, and Unsounded is more horrifying brutality.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Tenebrais posted:

Read all of them.

But for general mood, Gunnerkrigg is more mystery and exploraiton, Paranatural is more whimsy and action, and Unsounded is more horrifying brutality.

By that note, I think Gunnerkrigg is more what I'm looking for right now. Definitely going to read all three at some point though. I just need more of that mystery flavor that I got from Broodhollow.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Tenebrais posted:

Read all of them.

But for general mood, Gunnerkrigg is more mystery and exploration, Paranatural is more whimsy and action, and Unsounded is more horrifying brutality.

this about sums it up really

god unsounded is hosed up :v:

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
It's definitely the most satisfying to read out of the three. Paranatural has pacing issues and Unsounded has a kind of oblique world and has more emphasis on long-form storytelling.

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

It's definitely the most satisfying to read out of the three. Paranatural has pacing issues and Unsounded has a kind of oblique world and has more emphasis on long-form storytelling.

Paranatural has serious pacing issues and I'd advise not following it ever really. Might be why it doesn't get that many posts. Like the only thing each new page is seeing ridiculous faces whereas Poppy has actual things happening.

Morbi
Aug 7, 2013

CONTRABAND
I think that might be going a bit far. I've kind of lost interest in whatever larger overarching plot Paranatural might have (It kills me a little that we're probably not going to return to the Activity Consortium anytime soon), but it still has some pretty rad ghost concepts and dialogue that I think make it worth reading.
Also, I won't pretend as though I don't have some pacing issues of my own, albeit nothing as pronounced as Hitball was.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
Paranatural is way, way too slow for the overarching plot it's building, but it's still a really good comic. It's all thriller no filler, pretty much every single page is great. It would be a lot better if the artist had a dozen arms and didn't have to sleep so we could get multiple pages a week, but it's still good even without that.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Captain Bravo posted:

Paranatural is way, way too slow for the overarching plot it's building, but it's still a really good comic. It's all thriller no filler, pretty much every single page is great. It would be a lot better if the artist had a dozen arms and didn't have to sleep so we could get multiple pages a week, but it's still good even without that.

So.... you're saying I should put off Paranatural until after the other two so I have more of a backlog to read? :D

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince

MockingQuantum posted:

So.... you're saying I should put off Paranatural until after the other two so I have more of a backlog to read? :D

That's probably the best way to go about it. I love it but it reads way better binging than keeping up with it.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Xinder posted:

That's probably the best way to go about it. I love it but it reads way better binging than keeping up with it.

I personally find that to be the case with nearly everything but joke-a-days. It's the reason I tend to read stuff until I'm caught up, forget about it for six months to a year, then do it all over again.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.

MockingQuantum posted:

Gunnerkrigg is the best.

You might also enjoy Wilde Life. It's kind of a rural urban fantasy set in Oklahoma.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Also you might as well read Gunnerkrigg now, since the overall plot stalled out a while back, so the comic's not getting any better to binge through the archives of.

Unsounded is probably my favorite out of all of those options though. Its world is very well thought out, compared to Gunnerkrigg constantly crouching in vagueness and obscurity, and its plot is always well-paced. If there's ever a diversion, there's either a reason for it, or the comic is written to make you care about the characters and events that the narrative has been diverted into, and everything is well-paced. Paranatural has had a bad habit lately of getting caught up in a million little gags on every page, and I think there's also a bit of the comic maker having written too much plot at once

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Wittgen posted:

Gunnerkrigg is the best.

You might also enjoy Wilde Life. It's kind of a rural urban fantasy set in Oklahoma.

Wilde Life, incidentally, also has serious pacing issues.

This thread is pretty much just comics with pacing issues.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
gunnerkrigg's plot has never stalled out imo, it's just been a slow burn for as long as i've read it (which is probably like 9 years now? dang)

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

AriadneThread posted:

anyone here read Blindsprings? i feel like it's one of the better paced comics that i've been following recently.
well, so far anyway.

It's very cute; unfortunately the website seems sluggish. Like half the time when I get back to the tab where it had been loading, the image still isn't displayed.

Morbi
Aug 7, 2013

CONTRABAND

Gabriel Pope posted:

Wilde Life, incidentally, also has serious pacing issues.

This thread is pretty much just comics with pacing issues.

I've brought it up before, but the simple unfortunate fact of the matter is that all long form webcomics will inevitably become slow burns after the initial excitement of the first big worldbuilding phase dies down, unless the author can afford to pump out huge swaths of content at a time, like say, Hussie at MSPA's peak update rate.
When you can only realistically deliver 1-3 pages worth of infomation a week, it's hard to keep things moving along at a chipper pace without just stripping things down to synopsis levels.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Morbi posted:

I've brought it up before, but the simple unfortunate fact of the matter is that all long form webcomics will inevitably become slow burns after the initial excitement of the first big worldbuilding phase dies down, unless the author can afford to pump out huge swaths of content at a time, like say, Hussie at MSPA's peak update rate.
When you can only realistically deliver 1-3 pages worth of infomation a week, it's hard to keep things moving along at a chipper pace without just stripping things down to synopsis levels.

I think that's why the best long-forms do a pretty good job of intentionally pacing out the storylines with "filler" pages. I'm thinking of SSSS here, though the "filler" pages are still pretty good, since they are usually solid art of the world.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

SlothfulCobra posted:

Also you might as well read Gunnerkrigg now, since the overall plot stalled out a while back, so the comic's not getting any better to binge through the archives of.

I, uh, see you haven't seen the title page of the latest chapter.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Tollymain posted:

gunnerkrigg's plot has never stalled out imo, it's just been a slow burn for as long as i've read it (which is probably like 9 years now? dang)

I love Gunnerkrigg to death but they introduced the Jeanne plotline really early on. Then they expanded on it. Then daddy issues happened. Now they're just going back to resolve something that was central to like the first year of the comic or something.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Gunnerkrigg doesn't really have an overall plot, I don't think. Each chapter does, and some of them link together in threads (like Kat and the robots, or the ghost of Jeanne) but there isn't any central thing pulling them together other than that they all happen at Gunnerkrigg Court. The characters are just steadily uncovering mysteries and growing up together.

Galvanik
Feb 28, 2013

Unsounded has thing annoying habit of making up fantasy words for common concepts in the genre. Like, rather than say "magic" it's called "Pymary". It's annoying and pointless, and especially bad in this comic because there's infodumps with the magical version of technobabble every once in a while. It can make the overall plot a bit hard to follow.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

not really, it's a whole technobabble branch of physics that really only has 'glowy stuff' in common with generic fantasy setting magic, and the terminology is in service to the scientific, early-industrial mastering-of-electricity handling of it in the story. How it works is a significant part of the plot and like 2/3 of the major characters are little wizard Orville Wrights running around figuring out how flight works when instead of gravity and wind resistance aerodynamics operates on the platonic ideal of bird

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Jul 17, 2016

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

MockingQuantum posted:

May I recommend Widdershins? Magical detective stories in Victorian England. It is a good light hearted romp.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Tenebrais posted:

Early on it seemed to be running a dichotomy of "woman/nature/good, man/science/bad" but it's become more nuanced in the setting's mythology and politics since then.

I don't know about that. I've read the first chapter, and while the Boy is clearly an arrogant rear end in a top hat I'm getting a sinister as gently caress vibe from the Spirits.

Edit: Can we get a thread title change?
Webcomics Thread 4: Pretty much just comics about opossums

The Lone Badger fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Jul 17, 2016

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

:eyepoop:

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

The Lone Badger posted:

Edit: Can we get a thread title change?
Webcomics Thread 4: Pretty much just comics about opossums
Webcomics Thread 4: Even the comics about opossums have humans.

also from reading Poppy reactions elsewhere I'd recommend

Webcomics Thread 4: A little erectusy

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

Carrasco posted:

Wait, really? How?

haha, i totally forgot to respond to this. hussies first major readership bump came from vgcats linking to problem sleuth about halfway through its run. back then the site used a nifty command input inbox thingy for getting new instructions for the strip, and the mass of new readers caused it to crash a million times

Morbi
Aug 7, 2013

CONTRABAND

Ofaloaf posted:

Webcomics Thread 4: A little erectusy

Oh jesus

I have been seeing some other... less than flattering comments about Lila's intentionally racially ambiguous features sprinkled here and there. It's real dumb.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

djw175 posted:

Paranatural has serious pacing issues and I'd advise not following it ever really. Might be why it doesn't get that many posts.

It doesn't get posts here because it has its own thread, if you didn't know.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!
My two cents is that Poppy deserves its own thread because it's not gonna be as much fun to catch up on it all at once if everyone posts about it here every time it updates.

DolphinCop posted:

haha, i totally forgot to respond to this. hussies first major readership bump came from vgcats linking to problem sleuth about halfway through its run. back then the site used a nifty command input inbox thingy for getting new instructions for the strip, and the mass of new readers caused it to crash a million times

Oh, huh. If it hadn't been VGcats it would've been someone.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Carrasco posted:

My two cents is that Poppy deserves its own thread because it's not gonna be as much fun to catch up on it all at once if everyone posts about it here every time it updates.

We could use spoiler tags for recent updates, or even just in general.

Doctor_Fruitbat fucked around with this message at 10:07 on Jul 17, 2016

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot

MikeJF posted:

It doesn't get posts here because it has its own thread, if you didn't know.

It was a reference to this post.

Xinder posted:

That's more than the Paranatural thread gets. But maybe that'll change now that hitball is over.

I don't really have a horse in this race but if someone effortposted an OP for a Poppy thread that'd be cool.

I don't even think Paranatiral is that bad. I just think its pacing could really use some work and the guy could maybe lean less on making goofy faces.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

djw175 posted:

the guy could maybe lean less on making goofy faces.

Whoa there hoss, let's not go saying things we don't really mean

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

We could use spoiler tags for recent updates, or even just in general.

no

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
i make a webcomic with my rear end. the webcomic is a poo and the internet is a toilet. you are all bacteria and i mean that. however much like bacteria, we're all part of the same ecosystem

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
do not be afraid. i am always with you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Can we keep that crap to the bad thread?

• Locked thread