Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Mortabis posted:

Didn't we hold up Apache sales for, oh, a week or something over it?

I believe so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

wkarma posted:

I think in all the AA chat we collectively forgot about Chapparal (on purpose?)

I'm p sure I mentioned it sucked for a large part of its service life

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I always thought it would suuuuck to be the shooter on the Chapparal on a hot day in that plexiglass dome thingie. Unless it has A/C, which I doubt but never know.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

priznat posted:

I always thought it would suuuuck to be the shooter on the Chapparal on a hot day in that plexiglass dome thingie. Unless it has A/C, which I doubt but never know.

I met a retired Colonel who got stuck in one during lunch when everyone was gone. He legit thought he was going to die when the latch failed. It was summer in El Paso.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

mlmp08 posted:

I met a retired Colonel who got stuck in one during lunch when everyone was gone. He legit thought he was going to die when the latch failed. It was summer in El Paso.

Oh man that sounds brutal. That design is obviously geared towards temperate climes like northern europe and even then only on mild days.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

priznat posted:

Oh man that sounds brutal. That design is obviously geared towards temperate climes like northern europe and even then only on mild days.

It can be operated with the canopy open, I believe? Not sure. Regardless, they added AC to the next similar design. I don't have schematics handy, but I have to imagine they at least had fans in the Chaparral.

mlmp08 fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Jul 16, 2016

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

mlmp08 posted:

It can be operated with the canopy open, I believe? Not sure. Regardless, they added AC to the next similar design. I don't have schematics handy, but I have to imagine they at least had fans in the Chaparral.

Do you just hold your breath when a missile launches with the canopy open?

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

chitoryu12 posted:

Do you just hold your breath when a missile launches with the canopy open?

Not sure about Chaparrals. For stingers, yes.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

wkarma posted:

I think in all the AA chat we collectively forgot about Chapparal (on purpose?)

ifpc mk1

Alaan
May 24, 2005

Seems like the Turkey coup has pretty much already curled up and died. RIP all those guys. Erdogan doesn't seem like the forgiving type.

Also oh boy Turkey probably gets to lean towards even more authoritarian now!

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
He's calling for bringing back the death penalty.

Some people are saying it's a false flag given how organized his response was. I'm...skeptical.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
False flag is a bit much. Allowing a rumored shot show coup to foment is plausible but who knows?

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

mlmp08 posted:

False flag is a bit much. Allowing a rumored shot show coup to foment is plausible but who knows?

Probably not a false flag.

Being used as an opportunity to wipe out political opposition regardless of involvement, absolutely!

inkjet_lakes
Feb 9, 2015

mlmp08 posted:

Yeah, the UK is running out of options.

Alas the British Army officer class is about the only place you'll find more feckless toffs with no clue how the real world works than our current government.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
So, I'd imagine this thread is the best to answer a question like this, now that Turkey tried the whole thing.

When a whole military is not in the bag, but on parts of units are taking part in a coup, how does it actually go down, and how are sides picked out?

Let's say a scenario of a military police company with some APCs guarding a depot of whatever near Ankara or Istanbul. The news of the rioting and coup take place, and lines of communication are mostly down or over-worked. Wouldn't it mean that in a situation like this, it literally comes down to the company officer and what sides he supports, now doesn't it? No one under his direct command is gonna say no, especially since there is no other influence or units around them, and his word ultimately is the deciding vote. And if so, wouldn't other military units also follow similiar paths of action? I could totally see how a platoon or a company level officer could just literally do what he wanted, and make his unit proceed on that action.

I don't actually know much of anything about coups or how they work, and I started thinking back to my days in the Finnish Army. If poo poo would've gone down, you can loving guarantee that not a single conscript would've questionied anything if the professional drill sergeant or one of the officers would've tasked our platoon to "keep the order" at a bridge against "rioters", and that's kinda scary, since I can imagine junior leaders just choosing sides with the roll of a die. And if we would've been on that imaginary bridge, cops rolling up on us and starting to arrest us would've also been something where perhaps we've could've been talked into fighting, given that there is enough unrest and chaos in the area.

Letmebefrank
Oct 9, 2012

Entitled

How do the planes avoid the cable hitting the landing gear? Does it ever the get entangled before hitting the hook?

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Letmebefrank posted:

How do the planes avoid the cable hitting the landing gear? Does it ever the get entangled before hitting the hook?

I'm pretty sure they're landing with a slight nose-up attitude so the hook is lower than anything else.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Vahakyla posted:

So, I'd imagine this thread is the best to answer a question like this, now that Turkey tried the whole thing.

When a whole military is not in the bag, but on parts of units are taking part in a coup, how does it actually go down, and how are sides picked out?

Let's say a scenario of a military police company with some APCs guarding a depot of whatever near Ankara or Istanbul. The news of the rioting and coup take place, and lines of communication are mostly down or over-worked. Wouldn't it mean that in a situation like this, it literally comes down to the company officer and what sides he supports, now doesn't it? No one under his direct command is gonna say no, especially since there is no other influence or units around them, and his word ultimately is the deciding vote. And if so, wouldn't other military units also follow similiar paths of action? I could totally see how a platoon or a company level officer could just literally do what he wanted, and make his unit proceed on that action.

I don't actually know much of anything about coups or how they work, and I started thinking back to my days in the Finnish Army. If poo poo would've gone down, you can loving guarantee that not a single conscript would've questionied anything if the professional drill sergeant or one of the officers would've tasked our platoon to "keep the order" at a bridge against "rioters", and that's kinda scary, since I can imagine junior leaders just choosing sides with the roll of a die. And if we would've been on that imaginary bridge, cops rolling up on us and starting to arrest us would've also been something where perhaps we've could've been talked into fighting, given that there is enough unrest and chaos in the area.

Lots of weighted dice rolls take place - do your conscripts get bogged down in the crowd and talked into surrendering, do you manage to capture enough media outlets / manage to put out enough confusing propaganda to keep people inside so your guys don't get bogged down, do you have troops that are unlikely to be talked into surrendering because of their ethnic or class background (conscripted country bumpkins vs. urban bourgeoisie or something) and what do you blow that particular load on, how many officers are your political appointees vs. someone else's, how many officers have your social background (technocrat, commie, islamist, liberal) vs. that of the government. Did you manage to make a good plan, do you have people who can properly execute it before the other side marshals their forces. Did you identify the crucial targets and weak points. Are you lucky. Do you manage to stun the opposition with fait accompli, decapitation, whatever - prez getting shot as step one in the coup etc. How much can you achieve with means that the other side can't counter - air strikes or whatever. Did you put enough of your pieces in place? Did you try to put too many pieces into place and gave someone time to squeal? Do you get enough momentum going that your guys don't jump ship?

A putschist general has got to be 95% adrenalin by weight when giving the order to fuckin do it.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Letmebefrank posted:

Cable is too low to snag the landing gear. Looks like worst case if a wheel hits the cable it'll just roll over it.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Mortabis posted:

He's calling for bringing back the death penalty.

Some people are saying it's a false flag given how organized his response was. I'm...skeptical.

Gülen, specifically, suggested this possibility.

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

mlmp08 posted:

Also lol at LHA air defense: dudes standing on the deck with stingers.

I guess that's how I played the Battlefield 1942 mod Desert Combat (and in fact if you replace LHA with CV and stinger with bazooka, how I played Battlefield 1942), are you saying this is literally standard doctrine? :v:

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

aphid_licker posted:

Lots of weighted dice rolls take place - do your conscripts get bogged down in the crowd and talked into surrendering, do you manage to capture enough media outlets / manage to put out enough confusing propaganda to keep people inside so your guys don't get bogged down, do you have troops that are unlikely to be talked into surrendering because of their ethnic or class background (conscripted country bumpkins vs. urban bourgeoisie or something) and what do you blow that particular load on, how many officers are your political appointees vs. someone else's, how many officers have your social background (technocrat, commie, islamist, liberal) vs. that of the government. Did you manage to make a good plan, do you have people who can properly execute it before the other side marshals their forces. Did you identify the crucial targets and weak points. Are you lucky. Do you manage to stun the opposition with fait accompli, decapitation, whatever - prez getting shot as step one in the coup etc. How much can you achieve with means that the other side can't counter - air strikes or whatever. Did you put enough of your pieces in place? Did you try to put too many pieces into place and gave someone time to squeal? Do you get enough momentum going that your guys don't jump ship?

A putschist general has got to be 95% adrenalin by weight when giving the order to fuckin do it.

I wonder if there are any tabletop games that are about organizing and executing a coup. It has all of the elements of a heist but you get to wear a swag uniform.

wkarma
Jul 16, 2010

Letmebefrank posted:

The gear rolls right over the cable.

This was actually the cause of the problem the F-35 had with it's hook. LockMart basically took the F-18 hook shape and copied it, but the F-35 gear is much closer to the rear gear than a hornet or a rhino...the cable wasn't rebounding off the deck fast enough for the hook to catch it. They had to go to a sharper hook shoe that supposedly wears the cables faster to scoop the cable off the deck from a lower height.

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde

Default Settings
May 29, 2001

Keep your 'lectric eye on me, babe

Raenir Salazar posted:

I wonder if there are any tabletop games that are about organizing and executing a coup. It has all of the elements of a heist but you get to wear a swag uniform.
Sure, it's called JUNTA. First released in 1978, still being sold today.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Raenir Salazar posted:

War on Terror, The Board Game comes with a balaclava of evil.

There’s a spinner on the board called the Axis of Evil.

Decoy Badger
May 16, 2009

Platystemon posted:

War on Terror, The Board Game comes with a balaclava of evil.

There’s a spinner on the board called the Axis of Evil.

The entire game revolves around getting drunk and laughing at whoever you can force to wear the EVIL balaclava, because the rest of it isn't nearly as fun :(

inkjet_lakes
Feb 9, 2015

Buttcoin purse posted:

I guess that's how I played the Battlefield 1942 mod Desert Combat (and in fact if you replace LHA with CV and stinger with bazooka, how I played Battlefield 1942), are you saying this is literally standard doctrine? :v:

Killing enemy planes with the bazooka in Battlefield 1943 was always fun, they though they were lining up for an easy strafe kill until you popped them on the nose.

inkjet_lakes
Feb 9, 2015

DesperateDan posted:

Finally got a copy of "Chieftains" that wasn't incredibly overpriced and I really enjoyed it, it's reasonably well written, seems plausible and doesn't clancy-wank over hardware or nationalism much at all, and the ending made more sense than "Red Army".

I thought it would have been much better without all the sub-plots. Is the paper version full of errors like the Kindle version, which seems to have been taken from an unfinished manuscript?

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

Betting the Kindle version is just a scan of the print edition with none of the OCR errors fixed.

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009

Sperglord Actual posted:

Betting the Kindle version is just a scan of the print edition with none of the OCR errors fixed.
Print version I bought from Amazon had lots of typos.

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

welp

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007
Even Kindle stuff from actual publishers has some glaring OCR errors; I can't remember if it's The Last Stand of the Tin Can Sailors or Symonds' The Battle of Midway, but one of them has errors in like 1/3 of the names of Japanese ships, and it's clearly because they're italicized. Like on the same page, it'll mention the carrier Hiryu and a few paragraphs down apparently the IJNS Hmyu has sprung out of the sea.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
OCR errors are insufferable. You want to charge me $15 for this book, but you can't even be bothered to have an intern give it a once-over?

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Platystemon posted:

OCR errors are insufferable. You want to charge me $15 for this book, but you can't even be bothered to have an intern give it a once-over?

I feel like a lot of Kindle books tend to get a lot more error-prone t0wards the end of the book, like the intem started orf stromg but eventvally stopprd paylng attentiom.

You'd think they'd run it through a basic spell-check, though.

LeadSled
Jan 7, 2008

hogmartin posted:

Even Kindle stuff from actual publishers has some glaring OCR errors; I can't remember if it's The Last Stand of the Tin Can Sailors or Symonds' The Battle of Midway, but one of them has errors in like 1/3 of the names of Japanese ships, and it's clearly because they're italicized. Like on the same page, it'll mention the carrier Hiryu and a few paragraphs down apparently the IJNS Hmyu has sprung out of the sea.

Shattered Sword is like this, unfortunately. It all comes down to how lazy the publisher wants to be when doing the OCR work and the format conversion.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

inkjet_lakes posted:

I thought it would have been much better without all the sub-plots. Is the paper version full of errors like the Kindle version, which seems to have been taken from an unfinished manuscript?

I seem to have a first print paperback and in terms of spelling/grammatical errors I didn't notice many glaring ones at all- I'm also gonna go with the "lazy OCR checking".

I guess he could have done with maybe killing off a few of the plots earlier, but compared with poo poo like clancy's "bear and the dragon" where he will just drop plot points entirely without further mention rather than resolve them- the bar for poo poo like that is pretty low for me on speculative military fiction, especially when it's a book I can easily read on a lazy work afternoon rather than an accomplished doorstopper of a book.

If you really want to torture yourself, find a copy of "the third world war: a terrifying novel of global conflict" because it somehow managed to be more stereotyped and cliche than the best of John Ringo, while not actually seeming to go anywhere for hundreds of loving pages of moustache twirling evil muslims/korean supervillains vs cardboard cut-out national stereotype ubermensch. Somehow it has good reviews, no loving idea how, because by the end I was hoping for a real-life apocalypse to save me.

DesperateDan fucked around with this message at 10:37 on Jul 18, 2016

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

inkjet_lakes posted:

Either take them out or do them properly.

As I said when we were discussing it in the Milhist thread recently. The book read to me like the Editor decided to trim a third of the book.

The Generals viewpoint and especially the SAS stay behind team plot looked like they were going somewhere but then are never mentioned again.

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

IRRC, the SAS subplot is dropped because the PoV character gets stabbed in the heart by another SAS soldier by accident and dies. Kinda hard to keep going after that v:v:v

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

Xerxes17 posted:

IRRC, the SAS subplot is dropped because the PoV character gets stabbed in the heart by another SAS soldier by accident and dies. Kinda hard to keep going after that v:v:v

That's the bit that seemed added in afterwards. At a guess...

maybe the raid on the soviet HQ the behind the lines team was going for was meant to go ahead and succeed and hence bring about a crisis that leads to the end, but it didn't read right or whatever and got canned.