Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cobalt60
Jun 1, 2006
I've ripped single pieces of mahogany into thin strips, and kept them sequences and aligned after bending, such that the grain lines up. If your glue lines are perfect, you literally cannot tell it's not a single piece.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

His Divine Shadow posted:

Great news everyone, Matthias released the color code for his Wandel Green

Yess! Now I'll know the exact colour not to order when I paint things in my shop.

keep it down up there!
Jun 22, 2006

How's it goin' eh?

Speaking of Matthias, has anyone here made his Thickness/Drum Sander plans? If so how is it? Anything you would improve or change?

I might start making it this week but modify it like Marius Hornberger has so you can also sand from the top. Without an auto feed the top sanding seems a lot easier to manage.

I'm gearing up cutting board production to try and attend some shows in the fall and sanding is my real bottleneck.

Drum Sanders retail for crazy amounts. North of 2k new in Canada. Even on Craigslist the cheapest I've seen is $600 or they are absolutely enormous for my small shop and not viable. Here is the best I've found.
Having the auto feed might be worth the price though. I might make Matthias' one till I can sell a few boards and then buy a nicer one to really ramp up production.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Shopsmith had a nice plan for a drum sander. Theirs runs off the motor on a contractor saw but it would be trivial to attach one.

sadus
Apr 5, 2004

Preparing to replace about 10% of a 17 year old Douglas Fir deck and restain it, hoping to get a few more years out of it as we just bought the house and probably should avoid replace the whole thing for now. Any opinions on TWP stains, or is there a better choice? This is in Colorado so fairly dry most of the time besides snow, but tons of UV. I kept coming across people recommending TWP 1500, but now I'm a little paranoid after noticing they run not just twpstainhelp.com but also deckstainhelp.com, which pretends to be an independent site but gives them great reviews. Maybe Cabot but I don't really trust consumer reports either and they recommend it :tinfoil:

sadus fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Jul 11, 2016

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!
I bought the plans for the stumpy nubs thickness sander but I haven't gotten around to trying to build it yet

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Squibbles posted:

Yess! Now I'll know the exact colour not to order when I paint things in my shop.

BTW, does anyone know how to convert those numbers to a RAL equivalent?

EDIT:
Just using photoshop, the image & the eyedropper tool to get a hex-color code, I was able to convert it to RAL 6017. Probably won't be exact, but close enough I guess.

His Divine Shadow fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Jul 12, 2016

Electric Shoes
Oct 21, 2010
Just scored a cheap Ryobi table saw from Craigslist! Now I have to keep an eye out for all of the free scrap lumber that gets posted up.

Any good ideas for babby's first project?

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Tool tote.

mds2
Apr 8, 2004

Australia: 131114
Canada: 18662773553
Germany: 08001810771
India: 8888817666
Japan: 810352869090
Russia: 0078202577577
UK: 08457909090
US: 1-800-273-8255
I made a display box for a collector of pocket knives.

secret drawer:

Video:
https://www.instagram.com/p/BHyM8_Gg1bp/

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

mds2 posted:

secret drawer:

Video:

:holymoley: I hope his knives are worthy :bow:

mds2
Apr 8, 2004

Mr. Mambold posted:

:holymoley: I hope his knives are worthy :bow:

$1000+ for each knife.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

mds2 posted:

Wood selection is outstanding. Fit and finish appear to be well executed. Overall very impressive.

edit; and I just watched the video. Gobsmacked.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Electric Shoes posted:

Just scored a cheap Ryobi table saw from Craigslist! Now I have to keep an eye out for all of the free scrap lumber that gets posted up.

Any good ideas for babby's first project?
Some type of crosscut sled?

Thinking about redoing mine actually. I got an Incra gauge and kinda tried copying their sled thing, but due to some unexpected friction my sled more or less ended up being an expanded table top. Course it's a small job site saw type, so that wasn't necessarily without its benefits.

mds2 posted:

Niiice. I was thinking "heh it's hard to tell the scale from the pics" and couldn't figure out the doors/handles...
...right when your hand popped in frame :v:

Rnr
Sep 5, 2003

some sort of irredeemable trash person
Moved to a new house out in the country, the house being in various stages of needing repair, so of course I started out with the most important task: build a tree house for the kid!

Took about 5 days to complete, made a whole bunch of mistakes along the way, but it was fun :-)

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Lucky kid. Good dad.

Rnr
Sep 5, 2003

Thanks! The son was very pleased and is planning to sleep up there. But when I woke this morning I could hardly bend my left knee. Wood working up in trees requires way too much bendiness from my old limbs...

I'm still debating what to install as a ladder. A rope ladder would be cool, but I think too risky for a 5 year old to use at that height... Perhaps if I tethered it to the ground, but that would negate what makes a rope ladder cool, namely the ability to pull it up into your tree fortress of ultimate parent denying doom...

Target Practice
Aug 20, 2004

Shit.
Hinged gangway with 2x4s laid flat for "steps" that can be retracted via pulleys so it's easier for a kid :). I would have killed for that.

Hell I want that now.

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr

mds2 posted:

secret drawer:

Video:
Holy poo poo dude, that's amazing!

Rnr
Sep 5, 2003

Target Practice posted:

Hinged gangway with 2x4s laid flat for "steps" that can be retracted via pulleys so it's easier for a kid :). I would have killed for that.

Hell I want that now.

That would indeed be awesome, we'll see if my ambitions reach that level :)

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
That case is beautiful and super-inspiring!

Also, let me make sure I parsed this:

mds2 posted:

$1000+ for each knife.

correctly... The case will be holding more than $10k worth of pocket knives?

I don't even know how to react. And this is from someone who hangs out in the watch thread and is used to hearing about and seeing people spend real money on silly things.

mds2
Apr 8, 2004

Trabant posted:

That case is beautiful and super-inspiring!

Also, let me make sure I parsed this:

I don't even know how to react. And this is from someone who hangs out in the watch thread and is used to hearing about and seeing people spend real money on silly things.

Yes, super expensive knives. I didn't even know such things existed until he contacted me. I was telling my coworker about it today, so we looked up one of the knives I know he has: $4800!

10 knives in the tray, then smaller "old timer" style pocket knives in the drawer.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

Rnr posted:

I'm still debating what to install as a ladder. A rope ladder would be cool, but I think too risky for a 5 year old to use at that height... Perhaps if I tethered it to the ground, but that would negate what makes a rope ladder cool, namely the ability to pull it up into your tree fortress of ultimate parent denying doom...

Two fixed lines to the ground and the steps have guide holes in them. That way you can pull the ladder up and down like a set of blinds, but the whole thing is more stable.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Climbing wall to the tree house.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5FSWkjFPxs

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr
Does anyone have advice for making and using shellac from flakes?

Trabant posted:

Custom knives are loving crazy, especially if someone ends up as a big name.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

Parts Kit posted:

Does anyone have advice for making and using shellac from flakes?

Custom knives are loving crazy, especially if someone ends up as a big name.

This is the video that convinced me to go for it and switch to flakes
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8mlsmnXBo-M
I've been keeping around garnet and blonde, and it keeps in a ball jar for a good long while.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy

mds2 posted:

That is really really sweet. I hope we end up at some point getting pics of it with some hardware.

mds2
Apr 8, 2004

Rnr posted:

Moved to a new house out in the country, the house being in various stages of needing repair, so of course I started out with the most important task: build a tree house for the kid!

Took about 5 days to complete, made a whole bunch of mistakes along the way, but it was fun :-)

This kicks rear end.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug
So, after moving I finally have a workbench in a garage. It's kind of crappy and leftover from the previous owner but I want to get started with some woodworking and the thing my wife is pointing me at is picture frames.

I want to work with hand tools; right now I've got a decent to good carcass saw (UK-made, it's essentially a large miter saw with a reinforced back) and a variety of crappy tools and want to stick with hand tools. The part I'm getting stuck on is the rabbet in the back to hold in the picture frame backing material. I know where to buy nice tools (Lee Valley) but I'm not sure I want to drop $250 for a specialized plane for my very first project.

I watched Paul Sellers do a demonstration of a picture frame using hand tools and he just cut the rabbet by eye with a dovetail or other small reinforced back saw. Since I know he makes things look easy, anyone have experience with reliably cutting flat rabbets this way or should I be looking for a secondhand rabbet plane or something on ebay? Alternatively are there other methods to do this? I honestly haven't found a decent tutorial on this that doesn't bust out a table saw as the first step.

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

I followed a Paul sellers video on making a rebate plane out of a block of wood and a chisel. It was surprisingly easy and worked perfectly well. I'd highly recommend it especially if you aren't sure you'd need it for heaps of other projects. Only took me an evening and I'm an absolute beginner.

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr

Hypnolobster posted:

This is the video that convinced me to go for it and switch to flakes
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8mlsmnXBo-M
I've been keeping around garnet and blonde, and it keeps in a ball jar for a good long while.
Thanks! Most of the mixing info I already saw but man I hadn't thought of using a coffee grinder. I think I have an old one around here that hasn't been used in years.

I did mix up some shellac last night (totally grab rear end on the mix though) and got a nice higher build friction polish setup going with it, but now this morning the assembled pen has gunk in the open grain. I'm hoping it's just the carnauba wax and I can warm it up with a hair dryer. It would suck to have to chuck this otherwise gorgeous (and fully assembled) pen into the reject pile as it would take an absurd amount of time to pick all of the gunk out by hand.
:ughh:

Fun plus side to wet sanding padauk (which is what last night's pen is) on a lathe is my hands are covered with red stains that makes it look like I jacked off someone with ebola. :lol:

ed: Oh yeah, also wet sanding wood with tung oil is giving me nice results. Much nicer than dry sanding with the same 220 and 400 grit papers. Forget where I heard about doing that but if you guys haven't tried it you should consider it. Put some oil in one of the $1 generic condiment bottles from walmart and go to town.

Parts Kit fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Jul 15, 2016

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Falcon2001 posted:

I want to work with hand tools; right now I've got a decent to good carcass saw (UK-made, it's essentially a large miter saw with a reinforced back) and a variety of crappy tools and want to stick with hand tools. The part I'm getting stuck on is the rabbet in the back to hold in the picture frame backing material. I know where to buy nice tools (Lee Valley) but I'm not sure I want to drop $250 for a specialized plane for my very first project.

I watched Paul Sellers do a demonstration of a picture frame using hand tools and he just cut the rabbet by eye with a dovetail or other small reinforced back saw. Since I know he makes things look easy, anyone have experience with reliably cutting flat rabbets this way or should I be looking for a secondhand rabbet plane or something on ebay? Alternatively are there other methods to do this? I honestly haven't found a decent tutorial on this that doesn't bust out a table saw as the first step.

Instead of cutting a rabbet, you can build up the frame out of two layers of wood, one of which is narrower than the other. Of course that means you'll want to start with thinner wood, unless you like the idea of having really thick picture frames.

I suppose you could also cut out the rabbet with a chisel, using it like the blade of a plane without having all the rest of the plane components to help guide you. That'd be a lot of chiseling though. Fortunately, minor irregularities won't be all that visible in the finished piece.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Instead of cutting a rabbet, you can build up the frame out of two layers of wood, one of which is narrower than the other. Of course that means you'll want to start with thinner wood, unless you like the idea of having really thick picture frames.

I suppose you could also cut out the rabbet with a chisel, using it like the blade of a plane without having all the rest of the plane components to help guide you. That'd be a lot of chiseling though. Fortunately, minor irregularities won't be all that visible in the finished piece.

Oh hey, that's a great idea. I should look into that and make sure I can make the frame look fine still but it should be okay. Thanks!

Granite Octopus posted:

I followed a Paul sellers video on making a rebate plane out of a block of wood and a chisel. It was surprisingly easy and worked perfectly well. I'd highly recommend it especially if you aren't sure you'd need it for heaps of other projects. Only took me an evening and I'm an absolute beginner.

I might check this out as well.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Went to a market today and I noticed some pretty cool chairs being sold, outrageous prices IMO (200 bucks per chair almost), but they where comfy. And also very simple in design, I think I could make these quite easily:

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
How are they joined?

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

MetaJew posted:

How are they joined?

I'm going with "rope"

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

His Divine Shadow posted:

Went to a market today and I noticed some pretty cool chairs being sold, outrageous prices IMO (200 bucks per chair almost), but they where comfy. And also very simple in design, I think I could make these quite easily:

Looks like it's called a "stick chair". Google searching that gives a lot of options / plans.

E: https://youtu.be/IbTZPaPufAY

Hubis fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Jul 17, 2016

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!
I'm all for building your own furniture. But how exactly is $200 an outrageous price for a chair?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

GEMorris posted:

I'm all for building your own furniture. But how exactly is $200 an outrageous price for a chair?

How is $200 not at an outrageous price for a chair??