Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Jose Oquendo posted:

On!

Two-factor must be turned on. It was a good reminder for me because I have had two-step turned on for a long but never got around to using TFA.
Just saw the other day that there was a newer version of 2FA rolled out last year while the old one is still operating...and saw something today about some people getting locked out with the macOS beta. So uh, maybe beta people should disable it before updating everything and reenabling it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Keep in mind that WatchOS can't be rolled back like iOS.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Is there a public beta for the new watch os?

edit: Nevermind, it's offering to install the profile to my watch which makes it seem like yes.

There's no public beta for the watch.

As for 2FA, I didn't have any issues turning off two-step and then enabling 2FA. This was after I already installed the Dev Beta 2 to my MBA, watch, and phone.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Is there a public beta for the new watch os?

edit: Nevermind, it's offering to install the profile to my watch which makes it seem like yes.

Really? I'm not seeing anything.

e: nvm

Nostalgia4Infinity fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Jul 7, 2016

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747
I love the new time of day greetings on the Mickey and Minnie faces. I'll probably get tired of it eventually, but not today :)

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Nicetalga4Meltdown posted:

Really? I'm not seeing anything.

e: nvm

It's odd that it let me install the certificate on my watch but not the beta itself. And of course in the public beta os ios 10 it shows the new watch faces in the watch app, but if you hit add it tells you that you need to install watch os 3.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

I know they're taunting me :negative:

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

It's odd that it let me install the certificate on my watch but not the beta itself.

Not odd. watchOS is incapable of being rolled back to release versions.

Developers get access because they need to develop apps (hopefully on dedicated testing hardware). Beta users do not because they'd get all bitchy about their irrevocably unusable watches. (See: App Store reviews, before Apple started prohibiting users on iOS betas.)

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

It's odd that it let me install the certificate on my watch but not the beta itself. And of course in the public beta os ios 10 it shows the new watch faces in the watch app, but if you hit add it tells you that you need to install watch os 3.

It sounds like you installed the iOS beta profile to your watch. You can do that, but it won't do a drat thing. You need the WatchOS beta profile installed on the watch. I'm not gonna link it here, but you can find it if you really want to.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

Jose Oquendo posted:

Where did you get your band? I wonder if it's a legit one. I've got a few different bands, but no leather ones, and I don't see any codes on anything.

monkeu posted:

If you scan the QR code does it give you an offer from the prince of Nigeria?

Sorry I totally forgot I posted this.

The band is real but it was given to me from an internal source at Apple, so I guess it's from internal tracking/testing/whatever.

Was just wondering because I was considering selling one of the bands. Probably won't now.

Taima fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Jul 12, 2016

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Lol, so apparently Apple stole my former Boss/Mentors app for Breathe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJkXCGPm_yw&t=62s

Now go look at his app that came out 3 years ago:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/simply-breathe/id714391380?mt=8

Awesome job Apple!

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
Oh no they took the app that tells ppl to breathe sometimes, you should sue Apple on behalf of your Mentor-sama

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Taima posted:

Oh no they took the app that tells ppl to breathe sometimes, you should sue Apple on behalf of your Mentor-sama

No, they took the icons and the animations as well. :v:

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

ratbert90 posted:

go look at his app that came out 3 years ago:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/simply-breathe/id714391380?mt=8

Awesome job Apple!

Description: "Free for a limited time"
Price: $6.99

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

kitten smoothie posted:

Description: "Free for a limited time"
Price: $6.99

Hey man, it's hard to update your product description for your app you haven't supported in the three years since you launched it.

Space Robot
Sep 3, 2011

I just got the 38mm sport yesterday. How important is it for me to a get a case and screen protector? Also, will the band it came with end up being annoying enough on my wrist that I'll want to buy an alternative?

I'm thinking of getting a case and different band simply out of aesthetics, anyway.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Endless Mike posted:

Hey man, it's hard to update your product description for your app you haven't supported in the three years since you launched it.

loving CRAPPLE :argh:

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

shadowvine118 posted:

I just got the 38mm sport yesterday. How important is it for me to a get a case and screen protector? Also, will the band it came with end up being annoying enough on my wrist that I'll want to buy an alternative?

I'm thinking of getting a case and different band simply out of aesthetics, anyway.

Return it, get the stainless steel model, and never worry about a case or screen protector.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I have a milanese band and a bunch of different sport bands. I wear a sport band 90% of the time because they're drat comfortable and look as good as new.

I have the stainless steel so I can't speak to the need for a case, other than cases look awful. Really really awful. If you're ok with spending the money on a case and screen protectors, do what the other guy said and upgrade to the stainless.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
I have literally banged my watch against rocks during the tough mudder and it doesn't have a scratch.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

My aluminum watch looks a little beat up after six months, but nowhere near as bad as it would look with a case on. It's not like I expect resale value of these to be particularly good in any case.

Space Robot
Sep 3, 2011

Maybe I just have bad taste, because I like the look of some of the floral design cases.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
I think a case and protector is completely unnecessary. The only scratches I have on mine are from face planting on a concrete sidewalk from a running pace--and even then I was surprised the damage was as small as it was.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

shadowvine118 posted:

I just got the 38mm sport yesterday. How important is it for me to a get a case and screen protector?
Not at all important. My grey sport is almost 10 months old now and there are no (visible) scratches on either the face or body. I'd suggest getting AppleCare and just not worrying about the watch.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Yeah care is hella cheap for the watch.

Space Robot
Sep 3, 2011

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Not at all important. My grey sport is almost 10 months old now and there are no (visible) scratches on either the face or body. I'd suggest getting AppleCare and just not worrying about the watch.

Yeah, I got AppleCare. I don't expect to be doing much of anything that might bang up the watch too much, hopefully.

monkeu
Jun 1, 2000

by Reene
A protective case for a watch is the most ridiculous thing in the world. Buy the stainless steel / sapphire version or don't bother buying it at all. Strangely enough stainless steel and sapphire are the materials watches have been made out of for like a century now. If you put a protective case on a regular watch you'd look equally idiotic.

Space Robot
Sep 3, 2011

monkeu posted:

A protective case for a watch is the most ridiculous thing in the world. Buy the stainless steel / sapphire version or don't bother buying it at all. Strangely enough stainless steel and sapphire are the materials watches have been made out of for like a century now. If you put a protective case on a regular watch you'd look equally idiotic.

I got it as a gift from my mom, so I can't exactly demand the more expensive one after the fact.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

shadowvine118 posted:

I got it as a gift from my mom, so I can't exactly demand the more expensive one after the fact.

Gotcha. If you have AppleCare, then don't worry. Don't put a case or anything on it.

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

Also don't put a case on it if you don't have AppleCare.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

I got one of those cheap silicon cases for free with a watchband I purchased on Amazon, and I put it on my watch for a few days just for the hell of it I noticed one day after working in the yard that the case trapped my sweat against and around the watch. I took it off and threw it away. I definitely don't recommend any case just because of that instance, even if the thing is water resistant. Any dirt and whatnot trapped in there could have scratched the watch up pretty good if I hadn't noticed.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
Lmao if you're rolling around with a watch with a loving case on it.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I've definitely seen it. Makes them look like a Casio G-Shock.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Endless Mike posted:

G-Shock owns though.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

G-Shock owns though.

Yeah I loved my G-shock. :shrug:

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

There isn't a saddle brown leather case for the watch therefore all watch cases are poo poo.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

Endless Mike posted:

That silicon case I mentioned before was barely noticeable when installed, but still a terrible idea. I couldn't imagine putting something that looked like a g-shock on an Apple Watch. What's the point? Make a good looking watch terrible?

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Does anyone use their apple watch for Golf? I see The Grint supports the watch and i think I finally found a use case for getting one.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

The Golf Now app has Apple Watch support and I used it this weekend. It was pretty nice. If the course is in their system you can check how far away you are and even input your score on the watch.

It suited my needs but that was literally the only golf app I've tried so I have no idea if there's anything better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

The Golf Now app has Apple Watch support and I used it this weekend. It was pretty nice. If the course is in their system you can check how far away you are and even input your score on the watch.

It suited my needs but that was literally the only golf app I've tried so I have no idea if there's anything better.

the golf thread seems to love the Grint but that's good to know RE: Golf Now.

I might be getting a refurb one tonight.

E: poo poo, I don't think I can get applecare on a refurb.

Matt Zerella fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Jul 18, 2016

• Locked thread