Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
Why did the Voyager have landing gear?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
For landing, you fool. Didn't you even watch the drat show?

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
I don't think they did that perspective thing right with blurs and poo poo. The ship looks 20 feet tall.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
Looks like if Janeway was looking out those blue windows on the saucer all you'd see is her eyeballs.

AugmentedVision
Feb 17, 2011

by exmarx
Apparently the drive section is like 20 times denser than the saucer since it doesn't tip over

Also great landing spot, a few feet in one direction or another and you crash

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
I just figured they put the artificial gravity in reverse.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
Make that Talaxian put everything back when in falls on the ceiling.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
Finally break that plaque or whatever that Janeway has a Lifetime moment with in Year of Hell.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
Ever notice how all the ships are "the Excelsior", "the Enterprise", "the Reliant", yet it's just "Voyager"? As in, "lets get back to Voyager", not "let's get get back to the Voyager".

These are the questions the keep me awake at night.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

jesus loving christ this show is garbage

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

Animal-Mother posted:

: ( gently caress you animal mother

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Was there even a point to being able to land Voyager? It's not as if it made any difference to the show, it just ended up being like the Enterprise-D's ability to split in two and forgotten about after a couple of appearences. Although the saucer/stardrive seperation was a really good idea given the ship was carrying civilians. It made sense to be able to send most of the ship out of danger while the stardrive section dealt with the threat. Shame that only happened about twice.

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

This could have bought you a half a tank of gas, lmfao -
Love, gromdul

Sunswipe posted:

Was there even a point to being able to land Voyager? It's not as if it made any difference to the show, it just ended up being like the Enterprise-D's ability to split in two and forgotten about after a couple of appearences. Although the saucer/stardrive seperation was a really good idea given the ship was carrying civilians. It made sense to be able to send most of the ship out of danger while the stardrive section dealt with the threat. Shame that only happened about twice.

In a universe where instant matter teleportation is a thing, it is imperative that your ship be able to land, and also shrink down to Revell model size for some reason.

RVWinkle
Aug 24, 2004

In relating the circumstances which have led to my confinement within this refuge for the demented, I am aware that my present position will create a natural doubt of the authenticity of my narrative.
Nap Ghost
The whole movable nacelle thing was nonsense too.

edit: Excuse me, I meant Variable Geometry Pylon

RVWinkle fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Jul 17, 2016

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
They always made it seem like landing it was a big ordeal and not something they'd do if they had any other choice. You'd think all the astronuts would jump at the chance to stretch their legs a bit.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

criscodisco posted:

I don't think they did that perspective thing right with blurs and poo poo. The ship looks 20 feet tall.

That's because it's a composite shot using the physical miniature, which they made small so they could show the ship doing kewl manoeuvres and poo poo more easily. The result is that when they tried to do a TMP style close up of the ship it looks like a toy.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
I thought it was cgi. Something about it looks too smooth and fake that I think that if I ever saw the model in real life my brain would be unable to process it as real and I'd insist that is a hologram of some sort.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Voyager is a science ship. Probably can land so it can do science things easier.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
It rolls around Dirt Planet 6005 like the Mars rovers, taking soil samples.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
Also I didn't think it was supposed to be a science ship, just really fast and good yaw control.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
Look at the yaw on that bitch.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
Girl is spunk drunk.

buckets of buckets
Apr 8, 2012

CHECK OUT MY AWESOME POSTS
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=114&perpage=40#post447051278

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=91&perpage=40#post444280066

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3818944&pagenumber=196&perpage=40#post472627338

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3788178&pagenumber=405&perpage=40#post474195694

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3831643&pagenumber=5&perpage=40#post475694634

criscodisco posted:

For landing, you fool. Didn't you even watch the drat show?

Darmok and Jalad at Tenagra

Animal-Mother posted:

Darmok and Jalad on the ocean

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

criscodisco posted:

Look at the yaw on that bitch.

I know Kate Mulgrew's put on some weight but there's no need to be rude.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Voyager was like a well run public school. When it wasn't raining and when the staff didn't want to clean the gym they'd land and make you eat lunch outside.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
I saw the whole cast of Orange is the New Black and they showed a clip of Kate Mulgrew Irish dancing when she did his show for Voyager and she looked so trim then they showed her big rear end watching it and laughing and I cringed.

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

criscodisco posted:

Also I didn't think it was supposed to be a science ship, just really fast and good yaw control.

The intrepid class was designed for long-term exploration missions. It boasted a ridiculously high cruising speed, the best sensors in the federation, and they appointed a scientist to the captaincy.

criscodisco posted:

Didn't you even watch the drat show?

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

None of that explains why the science super ship's inaugural mission was to track down some dangerous terrorists tho.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
My public school got tipped over by a group of rowdy Purdue fans.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
Then we just got home learning, where mom watched soaps and smoked a pack of More's.

Blood Shart
Sep 23, 2010

Hector Beerlioz posted:

Ever notice how all the ships are "the Excelsior", "the Enterprise", "the Reliant", yet it's just "Voyager"? As in, "lets get back to Voyager", not "let's get get back to the Voyager".

These are the questions the keep me awake at night.

Because it sounds dumb as hell.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
Maybe Voyager is sentient and that's just his name?

AugmentedVision
Feb 17, 2011

by exmarx
how you you know it's not a she

do you think the macroviruses were an std?

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
The macroviruses were like stomach bacteria but they got all hosed up because Voyager took some antibiotics he bought online.

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

just got a firetc stick should i start ds9 tonight y/n

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

Nefarious 2.0 posted:

y

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

criscodisco posted:

I thought it was cgi. Something about it looks too smooth and fake that I think that if I ever saw the model in real life my brain would be unable to process it as real and I'd insist that is a hologram of some sort.

Voyager was really when they started the switch over to CGI; they had a computer model built specifically for the warp speed rubberband effect that TNG used something called a slit-scan technique to film int he 80s, as Voyager progressed they eventually stopped using the physical model for new shots and went over to CG completely. They actually used the CG model for the first part of the landing sequence in the first episode they did it in and it looks loving terrible, a few seasons later the technology had matured and they when they tried it again it looked pretty dope

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Nefarious 2.0 posted:

You'll never regret it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
I liked the time Harry landed it on that ice planet.