Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GAINING WEIGHT...
Mar 26, 2007

See? Science proves the JewsMuslims are inferior and must be purged! I'm not a racist, honest!

BrandorKP posted:

Other people who have had different life experiences than I have had reach conclusions I disagree and are wrong.

Having trouble parsing this sentence

quote:

You don't see the problem or the fundamental hypocrisy with thinking that way? Isn't how a fundamentalist thinks about the gay community?

Not at all. How is "you as a person are intrinsically sinful because my God says so" the same as "many people are having transformative experiences but taking away some poorly thought out conclusions from them"? Actually, I'll go a step farther and say that they are nearly opposite. I am advocating more empathy and introspection, and less dogmatic adherence to ideas.

I can understand and sympathize with having an experience in a religious context and thinking that it demonstrates that religion's truth, in the same way I can sympathize with someone thinking that however they were raised is "normal", or that their favorite food is objectively the best. We have an innate difficulty with seeing things from someone else's point of view. That doesn't make it right. And pointing it out doesn't make me hypocritical.

quote:

And again not all religious people have had spiritual experiences either.

Yes, I am aware. Hence why I use hedges like "most" or "many".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

BrandorKP posted:

OK,

You are doubling down on: Other people who have had different life experiences than I have had reach conclusions I disagree and are wrong.

You don't see the problem or the fundamental hypocrisy with thinking that way? Isn't how a fundamentalist thinks about the gay community?

And again not all religious people have had spiritual experiences either.

It's not so much "they are wrong" as "there is no reason for a rational human being to be persuaded by them."

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Ytlaya posted:

It's not so much "they are wrong" as "there is no reason for a rational human being to be persuaded by them."

And the other shoe drops.

Implied because they are not rational.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things

BrandorKP posted:

This is an extremely uncharitable reading, the they in that sentence has access to evidence the human being that is being persuaded doesn't. Ytlaya might also believe that someone who is persuaded that God exists on the basis of subjective experience alone is behaving irrationally (and I don't think that's a far out claim), but it's not implied in what was written.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

BrandorKP posted:

Yes? Everyone is irrational to differing degrees.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

I for one would enjoy more stories about people's religious experiences. I think it is very interesting. Besides, hasn't the whole Free Will into Problem of Evil into Free Will into Well Convince Me debate been done in pretty much every religious thread up to this point?

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

twodot posted:

This is an extremely uncharitable reading, the they in that sentence has access to evidence the human being that is being persuaded doesn't. Ytlaya might also believe that someone who is persuaded that God exists on the basis of subjective experience alone is behaving irrationally (and I don't think that's a far out claim), but it's not implied in what was written.

"No reason for a rational human being to be persuaded by them"

Look, it's problematic to look at the beliefs a person has arising from experiences they have had and to then go no rational person would persuaded by that.

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

which is why we can all agree that mcdowell is right! let's get ready for the big recycling/suicide party!

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

BrandorKP posted:

I'm not implying the people who believe are irrational. I'm implying that it would be irrational for someone else to believe on the basis of someone else's (who isn't them) divine experience.

I actually consider personal experience to be probably the closest thing to a rational reason for believing that there is, since I don't really know what other people have experienced. But it's kind of silly when people mention such experiences to others and then act confused when they do not consider that particularly persuasive.

edit: Generally speaking, the only sort of religious arguments I care to take part in are ones that involve addressing claims that are meant to persuade other people. That is, I do not have any interest in arguing with believers about whether a God exists or not unless they're explicitly saying something along the lines of "I have evidence that I believe should convince you as well."

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Jul 15, 2016

Vindicator
Jul 23, 2007

BrandorKP posted:

Look, it's problematic to look at the beliefs a person has arising from experiences they have had and to then go no rational person would persuaded by that.

In what way? Experiences are not infallible indicators. We know that humans are notoriously prone to flawed assumptions about their experiences. Are we suddenly pretending that's not the case?

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp

Vindicator posted:

In what way? Experiences are not infallible indicators. We know that humans are notoriously prone to flawed assumptions about their experiences. Are we suddenly pretending that's not the case?

If by "suddenly" you mean "the entirety of human history" then yes, we've all along been expected to just accept whatever dumbass thing someone claims they saw / heard / smelled / felt that is unassailable proof of divine influence.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things

BrandorKP posted:

No it's not. I can believe you earnestly believe your uncle works for Nintendo, but the fact you believe that isn't going to persuade me your uncle does.

twodot fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Jul 15, 2016

Eskaton
Aug 13, 2014
OP you should really just start reading some philosophy. The Spinoza earlier in the thread was pretty drat good.

An observable God is something you talk about with Evangelists and not worth your time. It's a weak form of religion.

twodot posted:

No it's not. I can believe you earnestly believe your uncle works for Nintendo, but the fact you believe that isn't going to persuade me your uncle does.

That's what Brandor is saying..? Not sure what you're arguing about.

Eskaton fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Jul 15, 2016

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Eskaton posted:

That's what Brandor is saying..? Not sure what you're arguing about.

There's some confusion in the wording. Brandor misinterpreted my post as saying "no rational person would be persuaded by their own personal divine experiences" when I meant "no rational person would be persuaded by someone else's divine experiences". Twodot then interpreted Brandor's post as saying what my original post actually said.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Ytlaya posted:

There's some confusion in the wording. Brandor misinterpreted my post as saying "no rational person would be persuaded by their own personal divine experiences" when I meant "no rational person would be persuaded by someone else's divine experiences". Twodot then interpreted Brandor's post as saying what my original post actually said.

Things experienced by others are compelling. Should I ignore the queer experience in my beliefs? Should I ignore the African American experience in my beliefs? I'm not either of those things. It's nonsense to ignore the experiences of other people, they are compelling and a rational reason to believe something. They aren't a sole reason, but again it's problematic to rule them out.

Bar Ran Dun fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Jul 15, 2016

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

BrandorKP posted:

Things experienced by others are compelling. Should I ignore the queer experience in my beliefs? Should I ignore the African American experience in my beliefs? I'm not either of those things. It's nonsense to ignore the experiences of other people, they are compelling and a rational reason to believe something. They aren't a sole reason, but again it's problematic to rule them out.

Not the same thing. With regards to queer people, the thing they might be trying to "prove" is that they have the various feelings that are associated with being queer, so their personal experience is direct evidence of that. With religions this doesn't work, because you are trying to prove something other than the person's own feelings. It would be an accurate analogy if the goal was simply to prove that the religious person believes in God, but it is not analogous to trying to prove the existence of God itself.

Countless people have different, often conflicting, personal experiences, and there is no way to determine which are more valid than any other.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

BrandorKP posted:

Different claims require different evidence. Personal experience is sufficient for personal claims, ie a black person's experiences regarding the treatment of blacks in America. But extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence, and personal experience simply isn't sufficient evidence of the existence of a God for anyone but the person who holds those experiences. Especially when every claim conflicts or contradicts every other claim.

Dragonshirt
Oct 28, 2010

a sight for sore eyes
Brandor, you're saying skepticism in its totality is nonsense?

Also lol at the backhanded comparison of racial and LGBT strife to the struggles of white Christian men. The War on Christmas is real!

GAINING WEIGHT...
Mar 26, 2007

See? Science proves the JewsMuslims are inferior and must be purged! I'm not a racist, honest!

Eskaton posted:

OP you should really just start reading some philosophy. The Spinoza earlier in the thread was pretty drat good.

This from the person whose biggest contribution to the thread was "hey, you can be a Christian and an atheist too!" You aren't qualified to tell people about their philosophical shortcomings and the concepts you're dropping into the discussion - many of which I have indeed heard of, by the way - are moronic to the point of near meaninglessness at best.

quote:

An observable God is something you talk about with Evangelists and not worth your time. It's a weak form of religion.

I can't understand the people whose contribution to the discussion is something along these lines, as though these "hardline" sorts of believers are both a tiny minority and not representative of the "real" religion. If you are making this assertion to begin a discussion on the type of God they/we/anyone should believe in, then fine: type away. But if you are making this assertion in order to point out flaws in my reasoning, you aren't participating in this discussion honestly or you are bewilderingly ignorant of the way many many believers participate in the faith, or both. Maybe you should read some goddamn philosophy, or theology, or loving any book ever.

BrandorKP posted:

They aren't a sole reason, but again it's problematic to rule them out.

You are still making the mistake of thinking I'm ruling people's experiences out; I realize this is the tactic of many atheists but I am not among them. I recognize that people have powerfully transformative experiences under the aegis of their respective religion, but I am proposing - based on the evidence of it happening in multiple religious contexts, as well as some non-religious ones - that it can't be used to prove the exclusive truth of any doctrine.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

GAINING WEIGHT... posted:

I can't understand the people whose contribution to the discussion is something along these lines, as though these "hardline" sorts of believers are both a tiny minority and not representative of the "real" religion.

I think it's more that it's a position held in a few specific sects of Protestants and at least one of the major players in this conversation is Catholic.

Mr. Belding
May 19, 2006
^
|
<- IS LAME-O PHOBE ->
|
V

Ytlaya posted:

You're being generous, when Brandor is quote farming to take things out of context or take offense.

Eskaton
Aug 13, 2014
E: nvm, OP. I don't care.

Eskaton fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Jul 15, 2016

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

GAINING WEIGHT... posted:

I recognize that people have powerfully transformative experiences under the aegis of their respective religion, but I am proposing - based on the evidence of it happening in multiple religious contexts, as well as some non-religious ones - that it can't be used to prove the exclusive truth of any doctrine.

Agreed, though if, to investigate the nature of such experiences, you undertake the practices that lead to them happening in multiple religious contexts, you might wind up with a better intuitive sense of what religious metahphors (and religious texts generally) are getting at across various traditions.

duodenum
Sep 18, 2005

If there were a repeatable, proven physiological explanation for one's rapturous deity-ascribed "experiences," would theists reconsider their beliefs? I doubt it.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
beer and wine is evidence enough for the existance of god

and that god loves us

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
its obvious that god exists
look in a loving telescope for once in your loving life

but whats harder to determine is if god loves us
and well
he sent his only son to save our souls
and he made beer liquor and wine
so god loves us and wants to save us

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CSvFpBOe8eY

SirJohnnyMcDonald
Oct 24, 2010

by exmarx

This is your best post tbh

Nude Bog Lurker
Jan 2, 2007
Fun Shoe

duodenum posted:

If there were a repeatable, proven physiological explanation for one's rapturous deity-ascribed "experiences," would theists reconsider their beliefs? I doubt it.

but there isn't

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

SirJohnnyMcDonald posted:

This is your best post tbh

thank you bad canaaddiiaan

i believe in god because im fukin relaxing drinking feasting and i didn't built this

maybe gods not an old man with a white beard
but something GOOD madfe this universe
whre i can chillax free and safe
wshatevfer that is, i worship it

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
the biggest oppression i face is literally the moderators on thsi forum any maybe like illness and desease so like wtf i haVe no beef with the creator of this universe

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
there but for the grace of god go I

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
if you doubt the existance of god go buy some 12 yr old single malt scotch and taste it and then get back to me

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
the mandlebrot set is another proof of god, but you gotta know math to realize WTF IS SO MUCH STRUCTURE IS GOING ON IN A SIMPLE MATHEY THING?!?!

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
"mostly an empty black void and the best thing in it slowly poisons you to death"

SirJohnnyMcDonald
Oct 24, 2010

by exmarx
I believe there is probably a God.

But I don't really have a reason why I believe that and I don't let it affect the way I live my life.

Dragonshirt
Oct 28, 2010

a sight for sore eyes

Nude Bog Lurker posted:

but there isn't

Yet.

duodenum
Sep 18, 2005

Nude Bog Lurker posted:

but there isn't

I'm sure I'll regret touching the poop, but the point is that these Bronze Age cultures ascribed anything they didn't understand to the acts of a supernatural power. You're doing the same thing if you misunderstand how flawed the senses and brain can be, especially in extraordinary circumstances, and ascribe your "experiences" to the supernatural. It's telling how all of the testimonials I've cared to read in this thread describing why one believes seem to boil down to such "experiences."

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

duodenum posted:

I'm sure I'll regret touching the poop, but the point is that these Bronze Age cultures ascribed anything they didn't understand to the acts of a supernatural power. You're doing the same thing if you misunderstand how flawed the senses and brain can be, especially in extraordinary circumstances, and ascribe your "experiences" to the supernatural. It's telling how all of the testimonials I've cared to read in this thread describing why one believes seem to boil down to such "experiences."

I've had no supernatural experiences. I don't believe you can have a truly supernatural experience. I believe the fact of existence at all is sufficient proof of God's existence. So, the strong anthropic principle?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Bel Shazar posted:

I've had no supernatural experiences. I don't believe you can have a truly supernatural experience. I believe the fact of existence at all is sufficient proof of God's existence. So, the strong anthropic principle?

Why do you believe existence necessitates a god?

• Locked thread