Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

Mark Trail

Pearls Before Swine

The Phantom

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Jam Esallen has a rock climbing fetish.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Yes, I'm sure the bird will not possibly fly off somewhere else while you spend at least an hour going back to the camp/the boat, getting changed, packing your gear, hiking back to this spot, and start climbing a rock face. What an excellent plan :psyduck:

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Tina's Groove

Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Dilbert

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Julet Esqu posted:

The Amazing Spider-Man

You know, this was ultimately what caused DC's Identity Crisis story arc, right Stan? Stan? Oh he's buried under too many drunk strippers to hear me.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Binary Badger posted:

You know, this was ultimately what caused DC's Identity Crisis story arc, right Stan? Stan? Oh he's buried under too many drunk strippers to hear me.

Welllllllllllllll, actually, the Dr. Light stuff was a pointless subplot for the sake of drama/filler/including a rape.

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.
See you next Saturday.

Modesty Blaise

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I can't stand the pens storyline. "Oh no, the pens I bought are held up. I could be rational and pay the art store to get some air-mailed but instead I'll plot an act of piracy!"

tiercel
Apr 22, 2008

Green Intern posted:

"We rich people sure are useless! Now go on and fulfill your destiny!"

This is not where I was expecting the storyline to go, but I can't entirely disagree with evil old rich lady.

Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!
Rarebit Fiend (click for huge)

Outbursts of Everett True

And He Did.

Guess If They Are Married!

Whoops Sisters

Good Time Guy (click for big)

Gross Exaggerations (click for big)

Mopsy

Feiffer (click for big)

Feiffer was a guest on Diane Rehm's show on NPR on Wednesday.

Diane Rehm Show" posted:

Jules Feiffer has been drawing and writing—comic strips, children’s books, plays—since the 1940s. His illustrations brought “The Phantom Tollbooth” to life, and his satirical cartoons for The Village Voice ran for more than four decades. Now in his 80s, Feiffer says he is doing some of his best work—in a totally new genre for the artist: graphic novels. His newest is a noir thriller titled “Cousin Joseph,” the prequel to 2014’s “Kill My Mother.” Cartoonist Jules Feiffer joins Diane to talk about his late turn to graphic novels, what satire can mean for the nation and feeling like a kid at 87.
Dude does NOT sound like he is 87. God Bless him.
Jules Feiffer on the Diane Rehm Show

Seriously, he's doing this in his 80's.

So different, and yet totally Feiffer.

Jaf

Wee Pals (click for big)

Mr. Tweedy

Andy Capp (click for big)

[edit to add in Feiffer page]

Slammy fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Jul 17, 2016

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

loving chaos butterfly! :argh:

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Nice job being a corporate shill, when you can buy those shirts for less than a dollar on alibaba

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

An entire week's story about a guest cartoonist and we actually see their work one day out of six. Bravo, Lester.

Aardmania
Jan 1, 2007

Ruining newspapers since 1993.

Shredded Hen
Heathcliff

Piranha Club

Dick Tracy

Judge Parker

9 Chickweed Lane

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Aardmania posted:

9 Chickweed Lane

Their wedding night is going to be so dissapointing but neither of them will admit it to anyone.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
I'm glad Modesty Blaise is being posted again. And I know it's nothing like the comics, but I do have this hanging around in the back of my mind as I read them.

I swear I saw a better quality copy once.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
My dad has one of the novels (short story collections?) on his shelf. I keep meaning to pinch it and see what it's like.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

What a foob.

JaggerMcDagger
Feb 13, 2012

Bringing you Barry from the sordid depths of the Internet

quote:

I don’t know which would be sadder, if Jonah woke up one morning and realized he missed Shannon growing up, or if he just didn’t care.

quote:

I am a “Luann” fan, I really am, but… I wish Greg would figure out how to draw his main character in a way that makes her look natural when she’s just standing around. Toni looks natural. Tiffany, when she’s in the strip, looks natural. Luann is well beyond “that awkward phase” – doesn’t she deserve to have a natural-looking stance too? (The same goes for Bernice, by the way.)

quote:

“As The Girl Turns”
“A No Show Is Status Quo”
“An Inconvenient Truth”
“Anybody- But- Daddy Day Care”
“A Stray Cat Audition”
“Seltzer in His Ways”
“‘Cats’ Got His Tongue…And Everything Else…”
“Leaving A Major Role For A Bit Part”
“…For A Lead Role In A Cage On A Stage” (♪)
“Wish You Were Here” (♬)
“Echoes” (♬)
“On The Run" (♬)
“No Time To ‘Breathe’ " (♬)
“Remember A Day?” (♬)
or
“One Of These Days….” (♬)

quote:

Alien Hunter said, about 21 hours ago
NO ONE READS PAST 1O COMMENTS! ALL YOU HUNDREDS OF PEOPLE ABOUT TO COMMENT SHOULD HAVE BEEN HERE AT 1:00 THIS MORNING! NO ONE READS PAST THE FIRST PAGE OF COMMENTS!!!
And then everybody argues at that comment.
fort knox

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.

goatface posted:

My dad has one of the novels (short story collections?) on his shelf. I keep meaning to pinch it and see what it's like.

I've read a few that I've been able to get though my library and they were all pretty good. You might want to hold off if the book your dad has is "Cobra Trap" since that has the final Modesty Blaise story.

Aardmania posted:

Judge Parker

Oh my god, they're all going to take Sophie's side aren't they. This is why I find Judge Parker more annoying than Rex Morgan. Rex Morgan just gets stuff though dumb luck, the Parkers seemingly have the whole universe aligned in their favor. That and I still the remember the one strip were Rex was informed he had to give a patient a prostate exam.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

JaggerMcDagger posted:

And then everybody argues at that comment.
fort knox

Fidel...Castro?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The Classic Dinette Set knows accuracy is important.

Working Daze is unacceptable.

Super-Fun-Pak-Comix finds itself at a moral crossroads.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
The endless stream of background gags seem like a failed attempt to achieve humor by quantity over quality. They're a pointless distraction in this terrible comic where the only punchline is (( O O ))

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Phantom Classic

Radio Patrol

:rolleyes:

Rip Kirby

Big Ben Bolt

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Six Chix

Zippy the Pinhead

Nancy

Arlo and Janis

Andertoons

Pluggers

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

Mark Trail Meets Fish Pogroms

Pearls Before Swine

The Phantom

SomeMathGuy fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Jul 17, 2016

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Wait, dead fish buried in graves? God forbid we have too much fertilizer and pet food, I guess?

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Freight is cheap as hell and barely makes up anything at all of the cost.

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Intelligent Life - another Sunday, another movie reference.

Take It From the Tinkersons - panel 4's text can be used to replace all text bubbles for the rest of this comic's run.

Dark Side of the Horse

JaggerMcDagger
Feb 13, 2012

Bringing you Barry from the sordid depths of the Internet

Elysiume posted:

The endless stream of background gags seem like a failed attempt to achieve humor by quantity over quality. They're a pointless distraction in this terrible comic where the only punchline is (( O O ))

Honestly, those background gags are the primary reason I post it and what I feel makes it worse than take it from the tinkersons. Like, do you not think your jokes are funny enough to stand on their own? Do you not think that your readers have a long enough attention span to pay attention if you aren't changing something in every panel, like a lovely spot the difference?

And the thing is, background gags like that can be done really well. Early Foxtrot, for example, had a lot of one of gags in newspaper headlines or in crowd scenes, but it didn't have a different gag in every panel. I don't even KNOW of any other comics that try so hard, the only thing that would be even close to similar would be Bizarro, and that only has one panel so its not even that bad.
fort KNOX

Like look at this poo poo, its the equivalent of someone performing a comedy routine and then having someone behind them mugging to the camera constantly. UGH! WORDS ABOUT COMICS.
Here, have some other people talking.
Luann

quote:

We can talk about brick and mortar versus online retail, but as I teach that lets focus on Shannon. In the existing arc in the Fuse, Jonah asked that his sister watch Shannon as he had to go to a casting for a theater production he was trying to get. Could this panel be partly a continuation of the idea that Shannon is being taken c/o by Luann after she might have left the Fuse, and maybe Toni had herself asked Luann to watch her? It’s in Luannverse, and I think it’s likely that it has no proximate connection with the prior arc, but it’s funny that Shannon in in a Sunday panel after being one of the main subjects in the weekly panels. I think there is a connection, if not direct or proximate though.

quote:

[It’s] just a joke, but the sad thing is, we do see a lot of stores vanishing that gave us pleasant shopping experiences, once upon a time. I’m thinking of book stores in particular…

quote:

“Rimshot In the Dark”
“Gag Reflex”
“Punch Line Drunk”
“Web And Flow”
“Net Worth”
“The City By The Ebay”
“An Amazon Warrior”
“Oh, What A Tangled Web….”
“Jest, The Way I Like It”
“You Can Call Me PayPal” (♬)
“….But It All Works Out, Innuendo”
or
“Girls Just Wanna Have Puns” (♬)

dordreff
Jul 16, 2013

JaggerMcDagger posted:

Here, have some other people talking.
Luann

I always feel like the alternate titles are practice runs for what this guy leaves beside the lifeless bodies of his victims to taunt the police.

Pancho Jueves
Aug 20, 2007

BEST FRIENDS!!

Strontium posted:

Take It From the Tinkersons - panel 4's text can be used to replace all text bubbles for the rest of this comic's run.

Holy poo poo, I actually laughed at the Tinkersons. Then again, maybe I'm immature enough that I'd laugh at any comic that just says BUTT BUTT BUTT BUTT BUTT BUTT.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Savidudeosoo posted:

Holy poo poo, that's NOT what children loving look like.
yeah but you get in trouble if you draw it realistically

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The alternate titles are terrible and not in an interesting way beyond that there's some weirdo out there doing them every day.

dismas
Jul 31, 2008

The fact that they're in the service of Luann makes it all the worse.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

The fact that he puts little notes in to indicate they're song title puns is the lemon wedge being smooshed into the gaping wound of WHY IS HE EVEN DOING THOSE STUPID PUNS?!

Laputanmachine
Oct 31, 2010

by Smythe

Slammy posted:

Feiffer was a guest on Diane Rehm's show on NPR on Wednesday.

Dude does NOT sound like he is 87. God Bless him.
Jules Feiffer on the Diane Rehm Show

Seriously, he's doing this in his 80's.

So different, and yet totally Feiffer.

I'm loving this. He sounds like a guy in his 60s who just retired and is doing whatever the hell he pleases and is having the time of his life. Here's hoping he lives at least to his 100s and keeps on delivering the good stuff. Too many artists of his caliber die way too young so he has to pick up the slack.

The only critique I can offer is he needs to change the font on that new comic. It's way too hard to read on the fly. Otherwise it's great; lots of different angles, different sized panels arranged in a naturally flowing way and you can see the characters' personalities from the way they've been drawn. Top stuff.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Peanuts (July 20, 1968)

Funky Winkerbean

Assisted-Living Crankshaft

Out Our Way With The Willets (May 22 and 29, 1927)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

You Are A Elf posted:

The fact that he puts little notes in to indicate they're song title puns is the lemon wedge being smooshed into the gaping wound of WHY IS HE EVEN DOING THOSE STUPID PUNS?!
To paraphrase Sir Terry Pratchett, you have to keep people like that occupied with things like this, otherwise they could get up to anything.

• Locked thread