Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

John Charity Spring posted:

I've done an Empire campaign three times because they're easily my favourite. Every time, I've built Reikland pretty much the same way.

Altdorf:
Colleges of Magic
Engineer's Workshop
Armoury
Port
Clay chain (I like trade!)

Put the barracks in one of the minor settlements, and you can put a Reiksfort in a minor settlement too. This lets you train every troop type except the cavalry line in Reikland; if you go for a stable instead of the clay building in Altdorf, you can get all that in Reikland too.

The reason I've tended not to put stables in Reikland is that if you take Middenland, that province is ideal for cavalry training. Put stables in Middenheim, the Knights of the Panther chapterhouse in Carroburg, and a Reiksfort in the other settlement whose name I forget. Lots of high-rank cavalry of all kinds of train there, then. If you don't take Middenland early-ish, then you can still build up your new province (as long as it's not Marienburg) to be a cavalry production area. Nuln gives factionwide artillery bonuses but none for that specific province, so you have no reason to put your gunsmith/engineer's workshop in that city rather than Altdorf. The province Nuln is in - Wissenland - also has bonuses to swordsmen and greatswords so you can get some value out of having an armoury there for infantry, too, not just for cavalry. You won't get Middenland's experience bonuses but you can still train your demigryphs there.

If you do this you can get Steam Tanks by around turn 80-90, I think. And you can get Reiksguard to augment your foot troops and artillery pretty quickly.

I never felt like I had the leeway to build for recruitment only the way you suggest - I feel like I needed tap house and a shrine every province or my army just get tied up managing rebellions all the goddamn time. Then I need some weaving houses to actually make income.

My minors always look like: Garrison, Weaving House, Tap Room/Trade/Farm

How did you find holding Middleheim during the chaos invasion? I focused on taking the Bretonnian provinces so I could have a stable income base that was safe from Chaos. I feel like it's much easier defending the River Reik than anything to the north.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
The capital of Middenheim is the settlement farthest to the north in the province and province capitals are trivial to hold against Chaos if you get walls so they won't really get farther than that.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

WarpedLichen posted:

I never felt like I had the leeway to build for recruitment only the way you suggest - I feel like I needed tap house and a shrine every province or my army just get tied up managing rebellions all the goddamn time. Then I need some weaving houses to actually make income.

How did you find holding Middleheim during the chaos invasion? I focused on taking the Bretonnian provinces so I could have a stable income base that was safe from Chaos. I feel like it's much easier defending the River Reik than anything to the north.

You'll (at least on Hard) never need a taproom *and* a shrine every province. You also really don't need a Garrison every minor settlement.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Be aware that Empire can appoint one lord to an office that gives +5 anticorruption. This is a good one to assign to someone conquering the vampires / norse.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Well, took me 300 turns, but my Greenskin "kill absolutely everything in the entire game" campaign is finally over, with the killing blow being dealt by Icky Backbiter in vengeance for the assassination of beloved Goblin Shaman Thogga Legbiter.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS
So some guy apparently made a mod that adds Teclis in. It's called "Destark's High Magic and Archmage". The spells are apparently all new and loving nuts. Between that and the Kislev mod with all new unit types and looks that were reskinned in it looks like the game's finally starting to get some serious modding potential outside of "rearrange a few premade outfits and use them to make a new unit".

That reminds me though, what are some good unit mods that everyone use?

quote:

Well, took me 300 turns, but my Greenskin "kill absolutely everything in the entire game" campaign is finally over, with the killing blow being dealt by Icky Backbiter in vengeance for the assassination of beloved Goblin Shaman Thogga Legbiter.

Does the game end when you get a campaign victory of either type? Because trying to engineer sandbox situations would be extremely my poo poo.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
lol @ modding in Teclis when the entire elf faction doesn't even exist.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
I agree, the quality of the reskinned Demigryph bears bodes well for future mods.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Archonex posted:

So some guy apparently made a mod that adds Teclis in. It's called "Destark's High Magic and Archmage". The spells are apparently all new and loving nuts. Between that and the Kislev mod with all new unit types and looks that were reskinned in it looks like the game's finally starting to get some serious modding potential outside of "rearrange a few premade outfits and use them to make a new unit".

Does the game end when you get a campaign victory of either type? Because trying to engineer sandbox situations would be extremely my poo poo.

The game does not end if you click to continue playing.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

Fangz posted:

You'll (at least on Hard) never need a taproom *and* a shrine every province. You also really don't need a Garrison every minor settlement.

That's what a typical province looked like for me on Very Hard when Chaos hit. Public Order could've been neutral if I go beat up some Orcs I guess, but it's easier to make a Shrine.

I think Garrisons are worth it, having to rebuild a sacked/razed province is a massive money pit that is easily prevented. There are just not enough natural chokepoints and enemies love just running past you.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Kainser posted:

I agree, the quality of the reskinned Demigryph bears bodes well for future mods.

Looking forward to Demigryphs being reskinned into topless Beastmen harpies next

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Chomp8645 posted:

lol @ modding in Teclis when the entire elf faction doesn't even exist.

To be fair "rear end in a top hat elf shows up, pulls a deus ex machina to save the day with some bullshit spell, then smugs it up until a human nearly clocks him for being an arrogant poo poo." is a literal cliche in the Warhammer universe. Ditto for the "mysterious mage" thing.

Kainser posted:

Don't you talk poo poo about those demibears. They are horrifyingly ugly monstrosities that look nothing like bears beautiful angels. :colbert:

Archonex fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Jul 16, 2016

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

WarpedLichen posted:

I was playing on Hard and found that I didn't need tap rooms generally. Certainly not in Reikland. I put a temple in a minor settlement for the requisite corruption reduction, and had weaving houses everywhere except province capitals.

Holding Middenheim is really easy since it's a walled city. The minor settlements can be vulnerable but if you hold Gorssel (the minor settlement in the Wasteland province) it tends to draw the Norscans instead. In my most recent campaign I didn't actually get bothered by Norscans at all until the main Chaos invasion, and they all came in through Kislev instead of doing coastal raiding. Hadn't seen that before but it certainly gave me some breathing space.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Archonex posted:

You can end a campaign after achieving short campaign goals, or continue for long campaign goals, or continue after that as well to kill all other factions. You will still receive random missions until you literally have nobody left to fight.

Invading the Chaos Wastes was a tough slog due to the high attrition rates, so I compensated with seven greenskin armies all leapfrogging each other using a combination of raiding camps and underways.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

WarpedLichen posted:

How are people building up their cities for Empire? It seems really hard to get all the good recruitment chains built up in your regions. Tons of cross chain requirements and capital only buildings. I never unlocked Reiksguard in a single province and didn't get steam tanks until halfway through the chaos invasion. It was basically spamming honest steel line infantry and felt very unsatisfying compared to playing Vampire Counts or Dwarves.

Kainser posted:

Is there a mod that makes the AI more likely to build high tier units? Even at turn 100+ on very hard so do I still mostly get armies filled with low tier stuff which isn't very exciting at that point. I guess a part of the problem is that the AI will keep their units around forever until they get wiped?

the mildly satisfying answer to both of theses posts is Mazz's Tier 4 minor settlements mod.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

WarpedLichen posted:

That's what a typical province looked like for me on Very Hard when Chaos hit. Public Order could've been neutral if I go beat up some Orcs I guess, but it's easier to make a Shrine.

I think Garrisons are worth it, having to rebuild a sacked/razed province is a massive money pit that is easily prevented. There are just not enough natural chokepoints and enemies love just running past you.

Is that a typical province? That's a really weird build.

Upgrade that income building, tear down that useless lvl 1 garrison for a province far away from anywhere hostile, and build a taproom. A taproom would give you +4 public order for a mere 1500 cash, while a shrine would cost you 4000 and take much longer to take effect on public order. Unless you're planning on waiting 11 turns and shelling out on a lvl 4 settlement, you'll have to tear something down for that Shrine anyway. In a non-special settlement, I would also tear down the growth building once the main settlement hits lvl 3, if you aren't using it for recruitment.

I think you're overafraid of sacking. Yeah, it costs stuff, but what are the chance of any given settlement being razed? A fully upgraded garrison is 6500 money. Supposing that sacking causes somehow 10000 money worth of damage (in my experience, a way overestimate), then you are assuming that every single settlement has a 65% chance of being sacked if you didn't garrison up. That just doesn't sound realistic at all. At the very least it's a way lower priority than getting those drat income buildings up.

Also, yeah, Reikland has an inherent decrease to corruption. Really has no need for a Shrine.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Jul 16, 2016

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
In one of the tutorial videos on youtube I saw the user draw a curved line for unit movement. This seems really useful for telling units to flank without having to issue multiple waypoints to get them behind the enemy. How do you issue a movement command like that?

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Megasabin posted:

In one of the tutorial videos on youtube I saw the user draw a curved line for unit movement. This seems really useful for telling units to flank without having to issue multiple waypoints to get them behind the enemy. How do you issue a movement command like that?

Hold shift and right-click drag.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

Fangz posted:

Is that a typical province? That's a really weird build.

Upgrade that income building, tear down that useless lvl 1 garrison for a province far away from anywhere hostile, and build a taproom. A taproom would give you +4 public order for a mere 1500 cash, while a shrine would cost you 4000 and take much longer to take effect on public order. Unless you're planning on waiting 11 turns and shelling out on a lvl 4 settlement, you'll have to tear something down for that Shrine anyway.

I think you're overafraid of sacking. Yeah, it costs stuff, but what are the chance of any given settlement being razed? A fully upgraded garrison is 6500 money. Supposing that sacking causes somehow 10000 money worth of damage (in my experience, a way overestimate), then you are assuming that every single settlement has a 65% chance of being sacked if you didn't garrison up. That just doesn't sound realistic at all. At the very least it's a way lower priority than getting those drat income buildings up.

Also, yeah, Reikland has an inherent decrease to corruption. Really has no need for a Shrine.

I am rebuilding the minor because I didn't build a garrison there originally and it got razed by the Varg who sneaked in through Marienburg. A single razed settlement easily costs over 10,000 worth of damage. Building a minor from lvl 0 to lvl 3 alone costs that much and that's not including lost growth, income, and the cost of other buildings. Building chains in this game cost a ton if you don't stack discounts.

The wall on the capital was a leftover from when I originally took it from the AI, I eventually tore it down to build a shrine when I had the income.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Fangz posted:

Hold shift and right-click drag.

I want to love this feature but it seems to gently caress up all the time in a wide variety of ways.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

I remember someone posting here an economy guide for Vampire Counts and how some of their heroes allow you to make a lot of loving cash if you put them in the right place, does anyone have it?

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

frajaq posted:

I remember someone posting here an economy guide for Vampire Counts and how some of their heroes allow you to make a lot of loving cash if you put them in the right place, does anyone have it?

Yeah here it is:

1. Stack a bunch of income heroes
2. Do it by the goldmine

Ok enjoy hope this helps.

Hargrimm
Sep 22, 2011

W A R R E N

frajaq posted:

https://imgur.com/a/M8HOm#jbVKnrg

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Archonex posted:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=691253752

Wake's Realism Overhaul or whatnot is a good mod I've been playing a lot of recently. In battle monsters and seige weapons are much stronger and will destroy units they probably should. Most units are tweaked less with balance in mind than flavour but all armies have decent advantages at the moment. Magic is also much stronger and unit sizes are drastically changed so you need to mix big blocks of tier 1 troops with small units of elite troops for most factions.

Not perfect and some of the magic schools like death and heavens seem totally not working atm, but a really fun change to the base game and holy poo poo is it fun with the blood mod to watch chaos spawn rear charge some swordsmen.

Necroskowitz
Jan 20, 2011
I can't find it. But vampire economy basically boils down to leveling necromancers and banshees in the +% to income traits and deploying them all around the Castle Drakenhof region. Meanwhile you build up Drakenhof, Templehof and Ostermark with econ buildings to get the max bonus. The multipliers from the Drakenhof chain and the heroes will eventually net you buckets of cash after those regions are established.

Vampire Counts are the only faction where you don't necessarily want to quickly expand all over the place right off the bat. It's better to raid the folks around you and sack their cities so you can afford to buy new buildings in your main provinces as soon as they're available.

After that you can explode outward.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Necroskowitz posted:

I can't find it. But vampire economy basically boils down to leveling necromancers and banshees in the +% to income traits and deploying them all around the Castle Drakenhof region. Meanwhile you build up Drakenhof, Templehof and Ostermark with econ buildings to get the max bonus. The multipliers from the Drakenhof chain and the heroes will eventually net you buckets of cash after those regions are established.

Vampire Counts are the only faction where you don't necessarily want to quickly expand all over the place right off the bat. It's better to raid the folks around you and sack their cities so you can afford to buy new buildings in your main provinces as soon as they're available.

After that you can explode outward.

Thanks, this will help a lot in my campaign

IanTheM
May 22, 2007
He came from across the Atlantic. . .

madmac posted:

It is worth mentioning that there's two different teams working on Warhammer right now. You have the main team, who spent the last couple of years making Warhammer and have already moved on to the next game in the trilogy, and you have the "extra content team" who are like 10 guys under Jack Lusted working exclusively on dlc.

The extra content team did all the Atilla dlcs and a lot of those were actually pretty impressive, but it's definitely a much smaller team who are more limited in what they can do.

Any indication of what the next expansions in the trilogy will be covering? Will all the Old World factions be covered with the first game, and they'll do other continents? Or will Skaven and such be covered in another expansion, in the same region? I assume they'll want to add as many Elves as they can in the future games, but aren't they all off on some different continents?

For this game, after Beastmen, I assume they'll add Wood Elves, flesh out Bretonia, that's that.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
I'm a beginner and having difficulty on the campaign level of the game.

What type of unit progression should I generally be going for with empire? I rushed the magic upgrade because I wanted Gelt to be my second hero, but that seems like a bad idea considering the cost investment. I think I'm ready to restart the campaign because I just got the chaos invasion message, and all I own is 4 cities-- my starting city and 1 lovely little town that belonged to Marienburg.

The way I got to this outcome was that I tried to take Marienburg itself with just Karl Franz, and it seemed impossible. I figured I needed a 2nd army, so then I spent a lot of time teching to get Gelt. I probably should have just hired some random lord.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

IMO...

Get the level 2 barracks for Crossbows ASAP. Swordsmen+crossbows will carry you a long way (with Honest Steel).
Getting a gunsmithy for mortars is good, but unless you plan to go all the way to level5 it's better to put it in a minor settlement.
Level 3 stables + smithy will let you get Empire Knights, which will be the hammer you've been needing to combine with your infantry. Put both these buildings in the province capital because...
Level 4 stables+smithy gets you Demigryph Knights, which kill everything.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

The Lone Badger posted:

IMO...

Get the level 2 barracks for Crossbows ASAP. Swordsmen+crossbows will carry you a long way (with Honest Steel).
Getting a gunsmithy for mortars is good, but unless you plan to go all the way to level5 it's better to put it in a minor settlement.
Level 3 stables + smithy will let you get Empire Knights, which will be the hammer you've been needing to combine with your infantry. Put both these buildings in the province capital because...
Level 4 stables+smithy gets you Demigryph Knights, which kill everything.

Agreed. The only difference is that you might want to wait to upgrade the barracks till you get one from the minor (Heimgard?). The trade off is ~5 turns of research for 3500 gold.

Crossbows and mortars are the two things you want early. Crossbows to break flanks and kill outriders and mortars so you can instant siege down province capitals. You can sometimes capture free mortars from rebels, which is really nice.

Upgrade Honest Steel and Pistolkorps and your basic starting units will work all the way to end game.

Make sure you do the quest mission you get early on, it's an easy fight and you get a free wizard who will save you a lot of money if you manage him well.

The magic college kinda blows because Gelt and Wizards aren't that great, but I did it for the achievement. I imagine if you were playing optimally you would want the Shrine every time.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Megasabin posted:

I'm a beginner and having difficulty on the campaign level of the game.

What type of unit progression should I generally be going for with empire? I rushed the magic upgrade because I wanted Gelt to be my second hero, but that seems like a bad idea considering the cost investment. I think I'm ready to restart the campaign because I just got the chaos invasion message, and all I own is 4 cities-- my starting city and 1 lovely little town that belonged to Marienburg.

The way I got to this outcome was that I tried to take Marienburg itself with just Karl Franz, and it seemed impossible. I figured I needed a 2nd army, so then I spent a lot of time teching to get Gelt. I probably should have just hired some random lord.

Which Chaos invasion message do you mean? The turn 100 one or the earlier one? Don't worry too much if it's the earlier one.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

frajaq posted:

Thanks, this will help a lot in my campaign

Be aware that the guide is extremely misleading.

Hero skills only give +% local region, not +% local province.

So at maxed out tier 3, that works out to (1000 gold mine + 500 settlement + 150 gallows * .15) or 247.5 gold (dark magic whatever) per hero. That's a neat profit but nothing massive or game breaking. Your starting banshee in particular has way better things to do than sit at home and amping your income slightly.

You'll only really rake in the dough when you have the tier 5s up (500 each) and you start lucking out with heroes that have the +5% income from all provinces trait.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I think the second chaos invasion is also set to trigger if your really far ahead, they usually show up around turn 60-70 for me.

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

SERPUS posted:

It's amazing that a $17 purchase is such a debated life and death struggle.

Not paying twenty bucks for loving beastmen when chaos were five.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

IanTheM posted:

Any indication of what the next expansions in the trilogy will be covering? Will all the Old World factions be covered with the first game, and they'll do other continents? Or will Skaven and such be covered in another expansion, in the same region? I assume they'll want to add as many Elves as they can in the future games, but aren't they all off on some different continents?

For this game, after Beastmen, I assume they'll add Wood Elves, flesh out Bretonia, that's that.

Leaked information suggests that the second game will be adding the New World, so High Elves, Dark Elves and Lizardmen will be headliners. Tomb Kings are supposed to be DLC 8, Skaven as DLC 10, Chaos Dwarfs as DLC 13 and Ogre Kingdoms as DLC 15. For reference Beastmen are DLC 3 and Wood Elves are DLC 5. CA staff has responded to this by saying these are old plans, but so far it has been 100% accurate down to the Beastmen sub-factions.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

How should I be building Manfred von Carstein? I went through the spells to get Fate of Bjuna, because that seems awesome. I mostly have him running around the back line using spirit leech and bjuna on their big dudes. I've also unlocked the +1 vampire skill, but now that I have both of those two things done, I"m not sure if I should be going for choppy-chop or leadership abilities. (I tagged Nehek because it looked awfully good, too.)

IanTheM
May 22, 2007
He came from across the Atlantic. . .

ZearothK posted:

Leaked information suggests that the second game will be adding the New World, so High Elves, Dark Elves and Lizardmen will be headliners. Tomb Kings are supposed to be DLC 8, Skaven as DLC 10, Chaos Dwarfs as DLC 13 and Ogre Kingdoms as DLC 15. For reference Beastmen are DLC 3 and Wood Elves are DLC 5. CA staff has responded to this by saying these are old plans, but so far it has been 100% accurate down to the Beastmen sub-factions.

Oh, wow, they're really going for a ton of DLCs for this one. Makes the second game sound a bit thin, unless they find ways of making it interact heavily with the current regions.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

Arcturas posted:

How should I be building Manfred von Carstein? I went through the spells to get Fate of Bjuna, because that seems awesome. I mostly have him running around the back line using spirit leech and bjuna on their big dudes. I've also unlocked the +1 vampire skill, but now that I have both of those two things done, I"m not sure if I should be going for choppy-chop or leadership abilities. (I tagged Nehek because it looked awfully good, too.)

Manfred is a combat monster, filling out his battle path is very powerful early and late game. Spells are worth investing into to get the protection against miscasting so you can always spam overcasted nehek in combat and keep your armies fresh

I'm partial to armor, charge bonus, and weapon damage, but the other skills are good too

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Manfred doesn't need overcast protection when casting Nehek, he can just take the damage and heal it.
Manny should stay in melee where possible, especially if he has his sword that gives him +winds when fighting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

ZearothK posted:

I feel like making the second expansion all about chaos is probably the most likely thing to have changed, so I wouldn't be surprised to see them hold on to skaven and tomb kings. Even with the post-expansion dlc, a line-up of daemons, chaos dwarfs and ogre kingdoms seems like a pretty big drop-off from the other two games. Skaven seem to be really loving popular, so dropping them in as a normal dlc seems like a wasted opportunity.

Dr Kool-AIDS fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Jul 17, 2016

• Locked thread