Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Orvin posted:

Anyone know how they will handle extended warranties in regards to the buyback? I have a VW extended warrantee that I am only a little ways into the coverage. Am I just out that money, or is there a chance I will get some portion of that back?

Typically if you have not used your extended warranty you can return it at any time for a prorated amount.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Don Lapre posted:

Typically if you have not used your extended warranty you can return it at any time for a prorated amount.

It's a huge pain in the rear end though. I had to do this when I traded in my TDI for the R.

PabloBOOM
Mar 10, 2004
Hunchback of DOOM
2009 mk5 GTI with 107k. Should I be concerned about the starter working harder to turn the engine over when starting cold compared to when it's warmed up? Takes probably about twice as long to crank and is noticeable enough I'm concerned about the extra wear on all the starting components.

And any tips on what connections/points of failure to check first for the rear latch sometimes taking many many pulls to activate the stupid release mechanism would be great. Motor isn't that expensive to replace but I'm not sure if it's that or a short somewhere.

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

PabloBOOM posted:

2009 mk5 GTI with 107k. Should I be concerned about the starter working harder to turn the engine over when starting cold compared to when it's warmed up? Takes probably about twice as long to crank and is noticeable enough I'm concerned about the extra wear on all the starting components.
Pretty sure the majority of starts on every car of every age are cold starts, so no, you shouldn't be any more concerned about it then you are any other component failing with age. There's nothing you can do about it anyway except maybe always running a block heater, which would probably cost you more in electricity then just buying a new starter every 10 years.

Mr-Spain
Aug 27, 2003

Bullshit... you can be mine.

veedubfreak posted:

It's a huge pain in the rear end though. I had to do this when I traded in my TDI for the R.

Who was your service contract though? It's pretty easy here, just call in, give the vin and proof of ownership and we mail you a check next week.

PabloBOOM
Mar 10, 2004
Hunchback of DOOM

bizwank posted:

Pretty sure the majority of starts on every car of every age are cold starts, so no, you shouldn't be any more concerned about it then you are any other component failing with age. There's nothing you can do about it anyway except maybe always running a block heater, which would probably cost you more in electricity then just buying a new starter every 10 years.

Gotchya. Thanks. Haven't had a car old enough to really notice for a while. But this one... well I'm going to drive it until it explodes. :3:

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

If you do a lot of short drives maybe your starter is in need of a rebuild? Cleaning the commutator, putting in new brushes, adding a new solenoid can do wonders for cranking ability.

Of course if you don't have a shop nearby that can do the rebuild in house it might make financial sense to just run the fucker into the ground and swap for a new/rebuilt one. It isn't like they check to see if the commutator is trashed when refunding your core charge.

via
Dec 14, 2013
How long after an owner agrees to have their TDI bought back will they be allowed to keep the car? Anyone have any decent-quality speculation on this? Since each region will have many tens of thousands of cars to process, presumably they wouldn't mind if I held onto it a while longer.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

via posted:

How long after an owner agrees to have their TDI bought back will they be allowed to keep the car? Anyone have any decent-quality speculation on this? Since each region will have many tens of thousands of cars to process, presumably they wouldn't mind if I held onto it a while longer.

You can wait until something like 2018 to ask for it to be bought back. Read the proposed agreement.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Yeah you can keep on driving it for a while and your car's value is pretty much locked in as long as you drive less than 1k miles per month. However, I'm not sure how the settlement works if your car is totaled before you turn it in.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM
I did see something about VW having like 3 months to arrange drop off at a local dealer once you sign on the dotted line.

I guess I will fill out the paperwork, buy a new car and park my VW on the street until they contact me.

Kramdar
Jun 21, 2005

Radmark says....Worship Kramdar
Meanwhile I'm on the other side of the spectrum and want my wife to get out of her TDI ASAP. This having to wait three more months is killing me.

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

I did see something about VW having like 3 months to arrange drop off at a local dealer once you sign on the dotted line.

I guess I will fill out the paperwork, buy a new car and park my VW on the street until they contact me.

My question is, when do you get the pay out? I just want to know a time frame so I can find/buy a new car before I have to turn in my TDI, as it is our primary car and my wife would get sick of having to take my miata everywhere. I could buy something new before hand, but I would rather not have 2 car payments at the same time.

I Am Not Spor
Dec 13, 2006
all the better to glomp you with

BraveUlysses posted:

Yeah you can keep on driving it for a while and your car's value is pretty much locked in as long as you drive less than 1k miles per month. However, I'm not sure how the settlement works if your car is totaled before you turn it in.

I think you're hosed. IIRC all your car has to do is drive into the dealership. I might do some intensive DIY mods to my car in the days before I hand it in.

via
Dec 14, 2013

Kramdar posted:

Meanwhile I'm on the other side of the spectrum and want my wife to get out of her TDI ASAP. This having to wait three more months is killing me.

A TDI is a pretty awesome car to be driving around right now. Illegally-inflated MPG, almost no depreciation, and you get to drive it like a rental. What's the rush?

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

via posted:

A TDI is a pretty awesome car to be driving around right now. Illegally-inflated MPG, almost no depreciation, and you get to drive it like a rental. What's the rush?

The more miles I put on it the less they're going to give me. I'll be looking at a $3k+ hit on their value because of the mileage that's on it while still being on the hook for any necessary maintenance on a car I no longer want to be in. I'm not going to complain about that too much though since it doesn't appear that anything else is going to have an effect on their determined value.

Gonna have to do a battery on mine tomorrow since the interior lights being on for more than 5 minutes means the car no longer starts. I've known that I'd need a new battery by winter, it was one of the many things I decided to put off for as long as possible once all this poo poo went down.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
As long as you put less than 1k per month you should be good

Kramdar
Jun 21, 2005

Radmark says....Worship Kramdar

via posted:

Failing DSG, bad A/C, bulbs keep burning out. And I think the rims are magnetized, because my wife keeps picking up nails like feral kittens. I mean, sure, I could drive it around like a rental. As long as VW doesn't mind me rolling into the dealership on a flatbed, then I'll go hog wild.

I Am Not Spor
Dec 13, 2006
all the better to glomp you with

BraveUlysses posted:

The mileage thing is a little ridiculous; drive your car, lose money.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

I Am Not Spor posted:

That's how cars work buyback or no buyback

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

BraveUlysses posted:

I'm already at 80,000 miles on a 2013. I didn't buy a TDI to drive 5 miles to/from work.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

I Am Not Spor posted:

That's not how our works, the formula was to give an estimate of mileage as of September 2015 and is derived from the delta of Sept 15 to the date you sign the papers. If that ends up being Dec 2016 it's 15k miles off your mileage in Dec 16. If you only drove 12k between that time you will be theoretically getting paid a bit more money, but that may or may not be a significant difference depending on year, model and mileage.

OBAMNA PHONE fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Jul 9, 2016

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Grabbed a battery from the dealer today with my bribe money and it was actually cheaper than replacements from the auto parts stores. I was not expecting that at all.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

fknlo posted:

Grabbed a battery from the dealer today with my bribe money and it was actually cheaper than replacements from the auto parts stores. I was not expecting that at all.

Yeah, did the same thing here this past winter.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Crossposting from the news thread:

fknlo posted:

Sportwagen and Alltrack stuff that has popped up over the past couple of days:

Alltrack isn't exactly cheap and I've seen some complaints that it's the same price as an Outback which is true. Can't get an Outback with a manual though.

Also, my coworker that got an R a month or so ago already ditched it because he was sick of loving with VW :allears: . Switched to a 428xi.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
All the bullshit they add to the alltrack makes it LOOK like an outback. Is that what they were going for? Companies need to stop putting tons of ugly black plastic on cars.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM
My 2010 Golf TDI is throwing a P0401 code for Insufficient EGR flow. I haven't noticed any change in MPG or how it runs. Are there any easy fixes I can try? I would rather not spend any money on parts since I'm looking to sell it back to VW soon.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

veedubfreak posted:

All the bullshit they add to the alltrack makes it LOOK like an outback. Is that what they were going for? Companies need to stop putting tons of ugly black plastic on cars.

I think it looks alright. Gotta convey that "sporty" image so that people think you do fun things!

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

BADGES? WE DON'T NEED NO STINKIN' BADGES!
What's the difference between the Sportwagen and the Alltrack other than the appearance? It's nice that the adaptive cruise, lane departure, and auto-brake have trickled down to VW.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

willroc7 posted:

What's the difference between the Sportwagen and the Alltrack other than the appearance? It's nice that the adaptive cruise, lane departure, and auto-brake have trickled down to VW.

An inch of lift and appearance?

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

BADGES? WE DON'T NEED NO STINKIN' BADGES!

KakerMix posted:

An inch of lift and appearance?
For $2000? Hm, ok.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

willroc7 posted:

For $2000? Hm, ok.

If you want awd there's also the nicer interior options the alltrack has over the sportwagen s.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Is the Alltrack a new VW car? Or has this line been available elsewhere? I'm a bit weary of buying a first year of any product.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

obi_ant posted:

Is the Alltrack a new VW car? Or has this line been available elsewhere? I'm a bit weary of buying a first year of any product.

It's a slightly lifted sportwagen that has been available everywhere for a while. The 1.8t with AWD is new to the US but I believe it has been used on the A3 overseas for some time now.

DrChu
May 14, 2002

I messed up while changing the oil on my MKVI GTI and forget to bring the correct filter wrench with me, and I didn't notice until after I drained the oil. As I was not at home I had to put the new oil in without changing the filter. I've read in some tutorials for changing other things (like the intake manifold) where they say to remove the filter for clearance, and that draining isn't needed since the filter is on top of the engine and upside down. Will I be safe just taking the filter off and swapping in the new one, or will this be a disaster?

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

DrChu posted:

I messed up while changing the oil on my MKVI GTI and forget to bring the correct filter wrench with me, and I didn't notice until after I drained the oil. As I was not at home I had to put the new oil in without changing the filter. I've read in some tutorials for changing other things (like the intake manifold) where they say to remove the filter for clearance, and that draining isn't needed since the filter is on top of the engine and upside down. Will I be safe just taking the filter off and swapping in the new one, or will this be a disaster?

You've got it. Think of it this way; the filter doesn't care if there's oil in the pan or not, especially since it's at the top of the engine. The old filter will retain some small amount of the old oil and it will mix with the fresh stuff if you put the old filter back on, (not like there isn't still some old oil residue in the passages and oil pan) just better form to change out both at the same time.

DrChu
May 14, 2002

Using the correct wrench made that the easiest part of the job, only a couple drops fell out of the filter.

I also cleaned out the HVAC system with Klima Cleaner yesterday and my AC no longer smells like death when I use it, just in time for another 9 days of 90+ temps in a row.

Pimp Cauldron
Aug 3, 2002

A twisted pictoral of phoenix, AZ

I did a timing belt and water pump on this thing over the weekend -- at 12 years of age and 85,000 miles I wasn't going to press my luck any further. It took ten hours at a leisurely pace. The hardest part, by far, was getting the timing belt over the cogs. I've never seen a timing belt that tight. There were about 30 minutes of huffing, puffing, and pulling though nothing flew apart when the key was turned. The parts were $220 from ECS Tuning. The shop quoted me $700-800 so I figure my time is worth $50 an hour.

Now, will I even have this car in 7 years or 75,000 miles? Who knows. :D

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
2014 regular Golf - my Golf is gray and the paint on the roof is just getting scratched to poo poo over time with no obvious reason. I don't put anything on the roof. I don't drive on any country roads. I don't even wash it more than every couple of months. Is the paint job just super fragile?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emocrat
Feb 28, 2007
Sidewalk Technology
Looking for a little advice here.

I have a 2013 Passat TDI with 41k miles. I plan to sell it back to VW. However, I had planned to wait till around 2018 to do that, try and get as much out of it as I can with the buyback price locked in.

A few days ago my check engine e light came on. I took it to the store and had them read to code. It came out as

P2196 O2 sensor signal stuck rich bank.

So, how important is this? Should I get it fixed or can I just ride it out till I sell it back? Should I accelerate when I sell it back because of this? Finally, if I do get it fixed, any idea what a reasonable price would be?