Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Bolow posted:

Here's a thought if you're pissing off your team frequently enough to be mass reported and banned maybe take the loving hint

The last time this happened Blizzard removed an entire system to cater to them. I guess if they were the top symmetra in the world, this might happen here!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FatSamurai
Jul 7, 2004

Seethe, ye rolling clouds, gather thy stormborn might, and SMITE MINE ENEMY WITH THY UNFETTERED FURY!!!
The game immediately after I hit level 51 I got into a group where everyone else's level was 150+.

I know skill and level aren't exactly tied but uh there's still something to be said for experience and I felt like a bumbling child waddling against giants making huge plays on both teams. It was insane. I saw a Widowmaker who could actually hit headshots and a Bastion who changed positions. I think I've finally started seeing Overwatch players.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

FatSamurai posted:

The game immediately after I hit level 51 I got into a group where everyone else's level was 150+.

I know skill and level aren't exactly tied but uh there's still something to be said for experience and I felt like a bumbling child waddling against giants making huge plays on both teams. It was insane. I saw a Widowmaker who could actually hit headshots and a Bastion who changed positions. I think I've finally started seeing Overwatch players.

If this was on the live servers there's the possibility that players you're up against are higher than your skill level, because a lot of players are playing on the PTR now and there's not a lot of matches to go around.

It could also be a sign that your MMR has moved up and you've stepped into the semi-big leagues, in which case congratulations.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Meanwhile, my every interaction with competitive is essentially miserable. After winning only four placement matches I haven't won a single actual competitive match and they've all basically been slogs against the inevitable.

I have no idea why the matchmaking is so terrible when it works so well for Quick Play, and also when it seems to work okay for other people?

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Rand Brittain posted:

Meanwhile, my every interaction with competitive is essentially miserable. After winning only four placement matches I haven't won a single actual competitive match and they've all basically been slogs against the inevitable.

I have no idea why the matchmaking is so terrible when it works so well for Quick Play, and also when it seems to work okay for other people?

Just keep losing long enough until your rank matches your skill. I'm a bad player at rank 37. After reaching that rank my loss:win ratio has been steady at about 50%.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

Just keep losing long enough until your rank matches your skill. I'm a bad player at rank 37. After reaching that rank my loss:win ratio has been steady at about 50%.

I feel like I'm just going to hope that Season 2 works out better because I'm really not into the idea of losing badly over and over again until I fall to the correct rank of incompetence. Especially not if I have to repeat it every couple of months.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Well presumably the same thing already happened to you in quick play, it was just invisible.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Sindai posted:

Well presumably the same thing already happened to you in quick play, it was just invisible.

And painless, yeah.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Will there be placement matches for every season or only for new players?

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

Will there be placement matches for every season or only for new players?

I think each season will be a clean slate rank-wise.

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

How long is a season?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Supercar Gautier posted:

I think each season will be a clean slate rank-wise.

I'm sure it won't, they tried that with Hearthstone and people bitched constantly until they changed it. It'll probably normalize ranks back towards the center somewhat, but it won't be a total clean slate.

Plus it wasn't a clean slate to begin with, IIRC it takes your quick play rank into account even in the initial placement.

Canemacar posted:

How long is a season?

A little under three months. (There's a grace period between seasons for some reason.)

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Okay, I tried again and got career bests on Zenyatta in every category and my teammates praised me for being amazing, so I guess everything is correct and fine.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I'm sure it won't, they tried that with Hearthstone and people bitched constantly until they changed it. It'll probably normalize ranks back towards the center somewhat, but it won't be a total clean slate.

Plus it wasn't a clean slate to begin with, IIRC it takes your quick play rank into account even in the initial placement.

Well, the game notes your highest rank for the current season, and it rewards you at the end for it, so it'd be pretty wonky if you could just get a high rank once and then receive the same reward every season thereafter without necessarily even playing.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Supercar Gautier posted:

Well, the game notes your highest rank for the current season, and it rewards you at the end for it, so it'd be pretty wonky if you could just get a high rank once and then receive the same reward every season thereafter without necessarily even playing.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

It'll probably normalize ranks back towards the center somewhat

And if you say "well it's still weird to give someone a lesser but still significant reward without even necessarily playing," then, again, that's what Hearthstone does.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

One more thing to note: to receive the participation spray for this season, you have to play your placement matches. I would therefore guess that to receive the season 2 spray, you will have to play season 2's placement matches, meaning they will exist, meaning they will assign you a placement rank, which will not be the same as your old rank.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

placement matches should place you in a wider range of ranks

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

Been trying more Reinhardt and having some success, but jesus. Mei just shuts Reinhardt right the gently caress down.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

FatSamurai posted:

One reason that QP feels more balanced than Comp is that QP rebalances between rounds and some of that rebalance persists between matches (if one team stomps, you'll often see an enemy moved to your team, and multiple team members will persist between matches, eg). So QP might initially be unbalanced but after a couple games each session, you'll settle into relatively even matchups. Comp feels lovely because those balance adjustments only happen between matches and if you're still misclassified after a match or two you're going to keep getting unbalanced poo poo.

MUSCULAR BEAVER
Dec 26, 2014

HENDO! HENDO!
every time I play zenyatta in pub matches I seem to be the only guy on the point playing him like a tank

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Bolow posted:

Here's a thought if you're pissing off your team frequently enough to be mass reported and banned maybe take the loving hint

Putting this power in the hands of players is a bad idea if it's true.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

MUSCULAR BEAVER posted:

every time I play zenyatta in pub matches I seem to be the only guy on the point playing him like a tank

Reinhart standing on the payload alone while Bastion and two Widows take offensive sniping perches a mile behind, Reaper solo-dives the other team and Pharah plays Duck Hunt with their snipers and loses.

Pubbieoverwatch.jpg.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Verranicus posted:

Putting this power in the hands of players is a bad idea if it's true.

Counterpoint, Don't be a shithead and make teleporters that lead off cliffs in competitive games like the dipshit who got banned :shrug:

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
There's a bunch more unused voice files someone found, and from what I can tell, a few of them MAYBE hint at at least two maps?

https://www.reddit.com/r/Overwatch/comments/4t5vrc/after_seeing_the_thread_yesterday_about_voice/

There's several voice lines about some castle(???) and a few voice lines mentioning the moon. Specifically Winston going "to the moon and back!" and "now that's a moon shot!". So I think at the very least we'll be getting some castle (I guess specific to Reinhardt?) and the moon. I wonder what the moon map would be considering it's taken over by a bunch of angry gorillas

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
So, how does progress on the PTR relate to the live servers? I started on the PTR a few days ago and saw my level and unlocks were synced (at first anyway)

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Macaluso posted:

. I wonder what the moon map would be considering it's taken over by a bunch of angry gorillas

What

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

The PTR grabs a snapshot of your live server profile to use, but it's only one-way. Nothing you do on PTR will affect your live profile/stats/unlocks.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Look at Mr. Doesn't-know-the-lore over here :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

quote:

But his (Winston's) life was thrown into chaos when the other gorillas led an uprising, killed the mission scientists, and claimed the colony for their own. Taking on the name of his beloved human caretaker, Winston built a makeshift rocket and escaped to Earth. There he found a new home with Overwatch, an organization that represented everything he had come to admire about humanity. Winston was finally able to live up to the heroic ideal that had been instilled in him.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Unlucky7 posted:

So, how does progress on the PTR relate to the live servers? I started on the PTR a few days ago and saw my level and unlocks were synced (at first anyway)

It's a different server, it doesn't carry over at all. When you first start the PTR it snapshots your profile.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Bolow posted:

Counterpoint, Don't be a shithead and make teleporters that lead off cliffs in competitive games like the dipshit who got banned :shrug:

If you think people will only report legit trolling and not just people picking characters they don't like or out of spite entirely you're naive as gently caress.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Verranicus posted:

If you think people will only report legit trolling and not just people picking characters they don't like or out of spite entirely you're naive as gently caress.

If the system truly works like that guy says it does, then people using the report button to avoid people better than them is going to make things really stupid.

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man
Once again, a reason to bring back the "Avoid This Player" option.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Best change they could make to this game is adding a "Too Many Flankers" tooltip on character select imo. Toss Genji/Tracer/Reaper/Pharah in there and have it show up when you reach 3 of em. Hell, I'd prefer it if the game started complaining about too many flankers when you have a mere 2 so that people won't go second flanker unless they're sure it's a good idea, but that may be pushing it.

Vargs fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Jul 17, 2016

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Papercut posted:

If the system truly works like that guy says it does, then people using the report button to avoid people better than them is going to make things really stupid.

I'm probably more paranoid than most because of the hate I get for doing offensive Torb (even when we win), I know I'm not breaking any rules but if it's automated..

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Vargs posted:

Best change they could make to this game is adding a "Too Many Flankers" tooltip on character select imo. Toss Genji/Tracer/Reaper/Pharah in there and have it show up when you reach 3 of em. Hell, I'd prefer it if the game started complaining about too many flankers when you have a mere 2 so that people won't go second flanker unless they're sure it's a good idea, but that may be pushing it.

Problem is that the people who slam pick Genji will use this to yell at you when you pick eg Pharah on a map where you really need a Pharah, especially if you wait to pick until you see what everyone else picks and then fill in with her.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Macaluso posted:

Look at Mr. Doesn't-know-the-lore over here :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Hell yeah gorilla uprising

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
I honestly didn't expect that I'd get into competitive, but boy, the 3 instalock Ana players on every team who bitch after every loss (and they always lose) made that transition a lot easier.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Vargs posted:

I don't think I'd put Pharah in the flanker category, since she's usually flying right above the battlefield firing rockets around and just in general being highly visible. I agree with having a flanker tooltip though.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

verbal enema posted:

Hell yeah gorilla uprising

You sound like a gorilla after 2 drinks, buddy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Verranicus posted:

You sound like a gorilla after 2 drinks, buddy.

That's waaaay after 2 drinks. Y'all play with me when I'm like 1/2 a 5th deep