Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pathard
Oct 23, 2011

Push the envelope. Watch it bend.

Ciaphas posted:

do bows still do ok damage if i run out of coating or am i just hosed in that case?

Their damage is still pretty good if you're hitting the crits (when your screen rumbles and you get a big hit-flash), which are just based on range and attack type. Like spread shot crits when you're close, and pierce crits at medium range.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hypha
Sep 13, 2008

:commissar:
Ahh my old nemesis, how you returned.

Fishing quests...

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

katkillad2 posted:

The writing is pretty alright and every time I hear, "Seeeee Yaaaaa!" I get a big smile on my face.

I'm having a real problem actually using my skills, I wish there were another button somewhere to remap at least one of them.

r+a+b is art 1
zl is 2 and zr is 3 is you have a n3ds

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

Wafflz posted:

r+a+b is art 1
zl is 2 and zr is 3 is you have a n3ds

I forgot the zl buttons even existed... I'm an idiot, but glad I asked!

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

katkillad2 posted:

I'm an idiot too, so I'm glad you asked as well :downs:

I think I've used my Hunter Arts like.... 3 times so far in this game. All of them were Sakura Slash.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump
Oh man so close to High Rank I can taste it. gently caress all this low rank bullshit. And gently caress whatever that mammoth thing was that just stomped all over my dick

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

katkillad2 posted:

I'm finding I can't reliably reach the z shoulder buttons with the grips I have. Darn :(

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Man, farming Bulldrome is a really good way to get the hang of guard pointing. I managed to KO him when he charged into my red-shield guard, and I was able to unload the full elemental combo into him. :black101:

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
gently caress's sake Cephadrome is a cheap piece of poo poo isn't he? Fucker hip-checked me three times against a corner then just lazily landed on me to kill me. Completely unavoidable.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Good Citizen posted:

Oh man so close to High Rank I can taste it. gently caress all this low rank bullshit. And gently caress whatever that mammoth thing was that just stomped all over my dick

Good god. I'm still HR1, but I've been doing mostly village quests to fill out chef ingredients and trade routes and whatnot. When does high rank begin, like 5*?

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

Ciaphas posted:

I'm finding I can't reliably reach the z shoulder buttons with the grips I have. Darn :(

Yea, I think it's how I completely forgot they were there to begin with. I have larger than average hands and it's still a stretch. It's still feels a bit better than having the skills on the touch screen though.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Detective No. 27 posted:

Is the MHGen DB app still being heavily worked on? Half the things I look up say "Insufficient materials." Like right now, just checking to see where Premium Sashimi is.

Yeah, it's still a work in progress. The wishlist feature isn't in yet either.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Question on the Aerial style: How do I do aerial attacks if at all? Or is the jump solely for activating mounting.

For reference, I'm using a Switch Axe.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

widespread posted:

Question on the Aerial style: How do I do aerial attacks if at all? Or is the jump solely for activating mounting.

For reference, I'm using a Switch Axe.

you gotta jump and bounce off of something(monster, palico, other hunter) to do aerial attacks after a jump

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

enojy posted:

Good god. I'm still HR1, but I've been doing mostly village quests to fill out chef ingredients and trade routes and whatnot. When does high rank begin, like 5*?

HR4. Honestly the biggest roadblock is finding a decent group for the HR1 urgent that won't instantly leave when they get their credit. That monkey can go to hell

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe

Evil Mastermind posted:

Man, farming Bulldrome is a really good way to get the hang of guard pointing. I managed to KO him when he charged into my red-shield guard, and I was able to unload the full elemental combo into him. :black101:

I got my final hit on a bulldrome with the LS counter art. That felt amazing.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Brother Entropy posted:

you gotta jump and bounce off of something(monster, palico, other hunter) to do aerial attacks after a jump

Ohhhhhhhh, okay. That makes more sense now.

Brb moonsaulting off of Jaggis

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I don't understand all the palico stuff :( I'm trying to train some but they're barely getting any levels and they tire out after just one quest (same with meownster hunters and trading) and then I need to have them catnap to regain enthusiasm? And it only has three slots? It feels like an unnecessarily micromanage-y thing so maybe I'm doing something wrong?

Locke Dunnegan
Apr 25, 2005

Respectable Bespectacled Receptacle

Tenzarin posted:

It took me hours to beat the first kut-ku in freedom 2. I know how you feel.

My brother and I have played every US-released MH as well as that PSP one that got a partial fan translation, and the very first multi quest we did with all starter equipment was Kut-ku. We nearly carted once or twice because we didn't even bring whetstones so we were bouncing off left and right not even five minutes it, but it was fun as poo poo.

I need to practice the Aerial style more. I did the training one for GS and the jumps seem super loving clunky and even with a ton of aerial attacks I only mounted the Maccao once before it died. I think I'll stick with Guild style for a bit until I get back in the groove.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
Hire a whole bunch of cats so some of them can fart around and relax while a small few go on meowster hunter. If you're eating food your two partnered palicoes should be happy all the time.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Boy do I never get tired of KOing monsters with a Shoryuken. What a great time to use Sword and Shield.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Minrad posted:

Hire a whole bunch of cats so some of them can fart around and relax while a small few go on meowster hunter. If you're eating food your two partnered palicoes should be happy all the time.

But if I want to level up my horde of cats, do I really have to go and reassign them after every single quest I do? They tire out so quickly!

e: and do I even need to level them?

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Your Computer posted:

But if I want to level up my horde of cats, do I really have to go and reassign them after every single quest I do? They tire out so quickly!

Just keep plowing through. You'll eventually be able to recruit up to level 20 palicos anyway, which will have more enthusiasm so they can do all the other mini game stuff.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Calaveron posted:

gently caress's sake Cephadrome is a cheap piece of poo poo isn't he? Fucker hip-checked me three times against a corner then just lazily landed on me to kill me. Completely unavoidable.

In the old games, the only move that type of monster had was hip check. Or it would swim in the ocean for like 5 hours with no one to hit it with a melee weapon.

Hypha
Sep 13, 2008

:commissar:

Tenzarin posted:

In the old games, the only move that type of monster had was hip check. Or it would swim in the ocean for like 5 hours with no one to hit it with a melee weapon.

And we loved it

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Rascyc posted:

Just keep plowing through. You'll eventually be able to recruit up to level 20 palicos anyway, which will have more enthusiasm so they can do all the other mini game stuff.

So leave the palico stuff for a bit later in the game?

Also, are there any "tricks" to fishing or is it 100% an RNG waiting game?

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

There are way too many weapons how am I expected to choose :(

I think I went gunlance when I played MH3U. Is that still a good choice? If not, what about Hammer?

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Your Computer posted:

So leave the palico stuff for a bit later in the game?

Also, are there any "tricks" to fishing or is it 100% an RNG waiting game?

If you're going for something specific bring bait for it, don't rely on luck because it'll take forever. You get bait by combining Mega Fishing Flies with stuff.

thorsilver
Feb 20, 2005

You have never
been at my show
You haven't seen before
how looks the trumpet

Your Computer posted:

To be honest I don't understand how you're even having them tire out from going out on hunts, I keep the same cats going all the time and they're always at max enthusiasm?

They tire out from the mini games, training, or the Trader. If you go out on quests and eat first every time, which you should do regardless, I think you should be fine.

And yes, level them up! The level increases are really important to their attack and defence stats.

The cats have really helpful skills to, like Go and Fight which gives you unlimited stamina, Vitality Vase which heals status, and of course Heal Horns.

And playing as a Prowler makes gathering waaaayyyy better, since you have infinite pickaxes and bug nets, etc.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I'm loving aerial Switch axe, but I also love SnS. Still can't decide between the two :(

EDIT: Autocorrect was bad.

Mr E fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Jul 17, 2016

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Evil Mastermind posted:

In finding a video to help show someone what guardpoints are I discovered they changed/nerfed chargeblade in a lot of areas. I was really confused about why I couldn't charge my shield to full, and why I couldn't combo the shield bash into an ultra. So if anyone else is like me and can't figure out how to get their shield red because you're used to MH4U:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wiZfIaO9l-0

Summary:
  • Ultra doesn't have a shockwave anymore, it's just point of impact
  • Shield bash can't be comboed into ultra, just into shield charge
  • You can only charge your shield to red if you're in axe mode
  • Guardpoints will move into axe mode rather than dropping you back into SnS
  • Guardpoints have a longer delay before letting you combo out of them
  • Also I think they tweaked a lot of numbers including dropping stun rate to keep hammer more firmly in its niche

Elysiume fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Jul 17, 2016

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

thorsilver posted:

To be honest I don't understand how you're even having them tire out from going out on hunts, I keep the same cats going all the time and they're always at max enthusiasm?

I just worded it badly; I set them to "Train" and when I come back from one hunt they're tired. The one(s) who are with me stay happy and are like 3x the level of those who are sent training.

RE: fishing; I know about bait but what do you do with fish that don't have a bait like the map-specific ones (brocade fish, for example)?

thorsilver
Feb 20, 2005

You have never
been at my show
You haven't seen before
how looks the trumpet

Your Computer posted:

I just worded it badly; I set them to "Train" and when I come back from one hunt they're tired. The one(s) who are with me stay happy and are like 3x the level of those who are sent training.

How long are you training them for? Always train them for the max number of rotations (6 at the start), otherwise it's totally pointless. It's useful to get early game cats from 1 to 5 while you're out hunting. Later with higher level cats you'll want to use the training book items you get and let the cats train to the maximum number of times and they'll gain 8-10 levels while you're out doing random quests. It's useful if you like maintaining a big stable of cats (I do).

Btw it doesn't matter at all if the cats are shown as tired while they're training.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Elysiume posted:

In finding a video to help show someone what guardpoints are I discovered they changed/nerfed chargeblade in a lot of areas. I was really confused about why I couldn't charge my shield to full, and why I couldn't combo the shield bash into an ultra. So if anyone else is like me and can't figure out how to get their shield red because you're used to MH4U:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wiZfIaO9l-0

Summary:
  • Ultra doesn't have a shockwave anymore, it's just point of impact
  • Shield bash can't be comboed into ultra, just into shield charge
  • You can only charge your shield to red if you're in axe mode
  • Guardpoints will move into axe mode rather than dropping you back into SnS
  • Guardpoints have a longer delay before letting you combo out of them
  • Also I think they tweaked a lot of numbers including dropping stun rate to keep hammer more firmly in its niche
It's worth pointing out too that you can't charge to yellow if you're using Adept style; you can only charge to red by being in axe mode and doing the big elemental swing (X+A), and pressing R in the initial wind-up.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

im gonna use the greatsword even though i've never used it before and have no idea how to use it

hell yeah

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Evil Mastermind posted:

It's worth pointing out too that you can't charge to yellow if you're using Adept style; you can only charge to red by being in axe mode and doing the big elemental swing (X+A), and pressing R in the initial wind-up.

Or from R via adept block

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Stormgale posted:

Or from R via adept block

Oh, I was wondering how I did that. Thanks!

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
I wonder if Ultra Burst is usable on sleeping monsters now?

Evil Mastermind posted:

Oh, I was wondering how I did that. Thanks!
I believe it's X after the adept guard, not R. Maybe it's both.

Also GPs just finish the animation of whatever it was you were doing.

Locke Dunnegan
Apr 25, 2005

Respectable Bespectacled Receptacle

voltcatfish posted:

im gonna use the greatsword even though i've never used it before and have no idea how to use it

hell yeah

Always roll out of attacks, almost never walk around with your weapon out. GS goes from "slow plodding mediocre whiff-machine" into "stick and move charge attack monster flincher" as you get better. Of course the playstyle may change a bit based on the new styles, I've only put a couple hours into MHX so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

thorsilver posted:

Btw it doesn't matter at all if the cats are shown as tired while they're training.

Seriously? Welp :doh:

What about traders? I noticed my cat dropped to 1 enthusiasm after like 3 items but I could still queue up 10.

In unrelated matters, I just fought Kut-Ku with a bow and.. I kinda feel bad. For a monster who's really annoying for close ranged weapons, he was completely helpless against the bow :smith:

• Locked thread