Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Vargs posted:

Best change they could make to this game is adding a "Too Many Flankers" tooltip on character select imo. Toss Genji/Tracer/Reaper/Pharah in there and have it show up when you reach 3 of em. Hell, I'd prefer it if the game started complaining about too many flankers when you have a mere 2 so that people won't go second flanker unless they're sure it's a good idea, but that may be pushing it.

Reaper isn't even really a flanker. I mean he can but he's just as comfortable in the thick of things blasting people apart

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
*me voice*

Urhhurhghuthag Pharah rughruhji genji

"What"

Then my translator pops up

"He killed Pharah and then was killed by Genji"

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I've done this way too many times:

*me voice*

UHHHH WATCH OUT FOR UH WHAT'S HIS/HER NAME UH WHOSITS WATCHOUT;HASKHDF;LK *everyone is killed by like Reaper or Phara or some poo poo*

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I feel like there might be some benefit into resorting the categories into "pushers," "flankers," "spoilers," "snipers," and "healers."

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Rand Brittain posted:

I feel like there might be some benefit into resorting the categories into "pushers," "flankers," "spoilers," "snipers," and "healers."

On the other hand, there's also a possibility that deliberately enforcing a meta rather than letting the community come to its own conclusions was a mistake to begin with.

People would probably cotton to the necessity of a healer without the flashing "NO HEALERS" sign, but they'll never come around to "hey maybe we should run two!" now that the sign shows up and then disappears as soon as you have one.

And if they made it suggest two, what if a future patch makes it more optimal to run a bunch of self-healing heroes some day? And so on.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

On the other hand, there's also a possibility that deliberately enforcing a meta rather than letting the community come to its own conclusions was a mistake to begin with.

People would probably cotton to the necessity of a healer without the flashing "NO HEALERS" sign, but they'll never come around to "hey maybe we should run two!" now that the sign shows up and then disappears as soon as you have one.

Yeah, I think it's fair to say that the signs kind of mentally enforce a meta for people. I think it's a good idea on the surface but honestly I think convinced people they NEED a sniper or that support needs are filled by Symmetra kind of does more harm than good in the long run.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

Yeah, I think it's fair to say that the signs kind of mentally enforce a meta for people. I think it's a good idea on the surface but honestly I think convinced people they NEED a sniper or that support needs are filled by Symmetra kind of does more harm than good in the long run.

This is only the fault of those two poorly conceived categories. There should not be a tooltip telling you that you need a sniper or a builder, and Symmetra should not be lumped in with Mercy/Lucio/Zen/Ana.

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
How is Symmetra not a defence hero?

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Waci posted:

Because it would've looked awkward releasing with only 3 Supports.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Oh hey wow just noticed I'm on the first page of watcher.gg comp game damage leaderboard. That's pretty cool. Number 81.

MUSCULAR BEAVER
Dec 26, 2014

HENDO! HENDO!
A walrus can't play video games! :colbert:

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

The brawl is decent, at least it gives everyone an excuse to not switch heroes when they are getting their rear end whupped.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

MUSCULAR BEAVER posted:

A walrus can't play video games! :colbert:

Then how do you play

MUSCULAR BEAVER
Dec 26, 2014

HENDO! HENDO!

Macaluso posted:

Then how do you play

I just play low skill characters like junkrat - hold down left mouse doesn't even matter where my flippers aim because the game just feeds me kills

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

MUSCULAR BEAVER posted:

I just play low skill characters like junkrat - hold down left mouse doesn't even matter where my flippers aim because the game just feeds me kills

Hell yeah Junkrat :hfive:

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man

Waci posted:

Because Support is not the same thing as Healer.

Tweet Me Balls
Apr 14, 2009

Proposition Joe posted:

Why isn't Torb support.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

If you expand "support" to mean "does things that are useful to the team" then technically this is a game with 22 support heroes.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Supercar Gautier posted:

If you expand "support" to mean "does things that are useful to the team" then technically this is a game with 22 support heroes.

You mean 20. Have to remember that Hanzo and Widowmaker exist.

MUSCULAR BEAVER
Dec 26, 2014

HENDO! HENDO!
They should change hanzo to be more like ana, weak damage healing arrows

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Proposition Joe posted:

Yeah, but now she's one of five supports with no built-in method of raising friendly hitpoints, and it's a fair point to wonder why she counts as Support (makes turrets, gives out shields) while Torbjorn (makes turrets, gives out armor) counts as Defense.

The long and the short of it is that all the classifications are ultimately arbitrary and Blizzard can put whoever they want wherever they want...Widowmaker is according to them a Defense hero when she works very well on the attack, same goes for Junkrat...but if they don't wind up adding more non-healing supports then Symmetra's classification is going to seem increasingly arbitrary for no clear reason.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Internet Kraken posted:

You mean 20. Have to remember that Hanzo and Widowmaker exist.

I try not to

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Tweet Me Balls posted:

Why isn't Torb support.

Torb should be offense. That little bastard does Reaper levels of damage

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
I can sort of see the argument for Symmetra being a Support waaay back when she was put in the game, when the only other Supports were Zenyatta and Mercy, and her shields gave 50 extra HP instead of 25, and maps only had one spawn point for Attack and one spawn point for Defense so that teleporter was dang crucial for getting your team to keep on the pressure on both Attack and Defense.

Now that spawn points move up as Attack captures points, her teleporter is crucial on Defense but not very useful on Attack, where Lucio's speed boost is clearly better. Now that we have two more Supports who both heal and she does not, she is left feeling even more weirdly classed than before. Where she is now, she is just a Defense hero - pretty good when you're on Defense, can work on Offense sometimes, but is definitely not a Support.

I really hope they re-classify her at some point because it'd make the NO SUPPORTS message actually work properly. Now that we have four of them, it's way less of a choice problem than it used to be.

Also, like others have said, the No Snipers/No Builders tags feel so worthless. They don't help your Defense any more than any other Defense hero will, especially since everyone with those tags is already a Defense hero (except I guess Ana now). I'd rather have you stay on Junkrat than switch to Hanzo because there's a No Snipers tag flashing, buddy. I've seen that happen more than once and it makes me sad every time.

Or if they do keep those tags, they should count Bastion as both a Sniper and a Builder, because his lack of damage falloff makes him basically function exactly the same as Builder/Sniper zoning tools are supposed to anyway.

gnome7 fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Jul 17, 2016

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

gnome7 posted:

and maps only had one spawn point for Attack and one spawn point for Defense

Was that really how it was at one point in the beta? :psyduck: Holy moly. Surely THAT didn't last very long

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Being killed by a Reaper named XRezurrected is kind of awful.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

What do you do for the gas station defense on route 66? Just set up shop there to hold the corner and two tunnels? Saw people ask if we were doing it a few times but the team ignored it and ran up to the train cars.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
I've never heard of an actual defensive setup before. Every group I've ever been in fights at the traincars. Maybe a bunch of people saw a pro team do something recently and want to imitate that, I dunno.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Verranicus posted:

I've never heard of an actual defensive setup before. Every group I've ever been in fights at the traincars. Maybe a bunch of people saw a pro team do something recently and want to imitate that, I dunno.
pretty much. Just buy time and regroup. I've never had a "coordinated defense setup right here!!" dumb strat work well

I feel like I'm old and out of touch with this whole twitch streaming lp following era of gamers. watching nfl isn't going to make someone think they're an awesome football player but apparently there's a lot of people who just saw some twitch match pulling off some strat poo poo that they must think This is the Way We Should Do It guys, total know what I'm talking about lets setup shop in this hallway nothing can go wrong!!

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
Haha yeah these people who want to try out cool poo poo they see... MAxIMUM fuckheads ...

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Brannock posted:

Haha yeah these people who want to try out cool poo poo they see... MAxIMUM fuckheads ...

It's more that they see what seems like an iron-clad utter crush of a defense/attack put together by a team with hours of practice together and think "yes, I can do this with five random people".

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Brannock posted:

You know that isn't what we were saying at all but thanks for the yucks anyway.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
That.

It's fun to watch tournies with best in class people doing poo poo like 5 dvas or setting up first pt of Gibraltar but that poo poo is never going to work and I've rarely had some genius shot caller who watched one too many streams strat work out well

Trust me guys let's set up right here infront of Gibraltar pt gate I saw it work there's nothing that can go wrong! :downs: *gets steamrolled giving them a free uncontested minute*

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

gnome7 posted:

Or if they do keep those tags, they should count Bastion as both a Sniper and a Builder, because his lack of damage falloff makes him basically function exactly the same as Builder/Sniper zoning tools are supposed to anyway.
Mei and Junkrat become "Builders", Bastion becomes "Sniper". Maybe rename Sniper to something else so you have more options when you're expanding the category than slapping a rifle in a characters hands.

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Sometimes you reach a stalemate. Sometimes you get magic horses.
I've only actually lost one Gibraltar sudden death when defending behind/on top of the archway while basically giving up the first frontal push, but I also incessantly chatter in voice comms with my teammates (whether they're random pubs or not) to coordinate what we're doing. The only one I've lost was with Seagull, and literally no one on the team was talking except him once muttering "Lets go" to pull off a drop strat without ever telling anyone else on the team that we were going to be performing it. I was the only person that followed him off the archway and into the enemy team so we just got crushed. We almost recuperated, but his earth shatter that was going to stun the entire enemy team never landed due to him flying into the upper atmosphere from a randomly tossed concussion mine.

Most of the ~pro mlg strats~ are about risk mitigation, and one of the quickest ways to mitigate risk is to take the fight as far away from their spawn as possible. I'd say that the second best is to get a vertical advantage, and third best is getting a choke point that gets everyone on the enemy team smushed together. All those first point defense strats that you see try to get as many checks in the box as possible for those. If a team stomps you when you have all of those advantages, they were probably going to stomp you regardless of if you were going to stage a forward defensive strat or try to replicate ~that thing I saw on gosu gamers last week~.

E: With the Route 66 defense you stack up the entire team on the frontmost corner of the gas station, except for a flanker maybe at the entrance to/inside of the top tunnel passageway. When the enemy team starts rounding the corner everyone lights up the enemy Reinhardt shield to damage race with the enemy team. If you break their shield first then you use what time you have on your shield to fire at them uncontested. They'll either continue to push the cart, which is good, or they'll back off around the corner and wait for their Reinhardt to recharge, which is buying you time and is also good. If your shield breaks first the team cowers behind the gas station sign and wait to 5v1 any flankers that decide they're going to dive the gas station roof while you're all sitting there. When the cart is beneath the station, and if you manage to pick off one of the attackers, your entire team jumps down at once and has to focus down any targets of opportunity.

If they're all dead and regroup, your team has to use that time to get back on top of the gas station and reset the fight to repeat with the possibility that they'll come through the side tunnel. If they start trickling in to reinforce one at a time you just meat grind them until they lose.

Commoners fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Jul 17, 2016

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

I think they should add a hexagon power rating thing that builds up for your whole team. Something like:

But with different axes.

E: Hm, long range, short range, flanking (mobility?), defense, healing, uh... utility?

NmareBfly fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Jul 17, 2016

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
Man I wish I could play Tracer half as good as Twiq and poo poo. When they play they loving melt everyone but when I play it feels like I am doing 1/10 the damage even though I am hitting most of the clip. :smith:

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

You can defend at the gas station where you have elevation and chokes and people can keep reasonable proximity to each other or you can defend at the train cars and let the lovely space split your team and let Pharah and Tracer pick you off one by one.

There's not some crazy gimmick to it or anything. You just choose to cede the first half of that segment with only token resistance rather than get wiped and cede the second part that's easier to hold.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Get in close with Tracer and aim at like their collarbones. Her damage can be all over the place depending on if your bullet spread feels like giving you extra headshots or not as well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

My team so infrequently picks both a tank and support that I end up picking one of them. Thankfully I find most of the tanks and Lucio really fun (Lucio becomes insane if you bind jump to the mouse wheel - you basically double jump on command), but now when I end up in matches where we need say, an offense hero, I'm usually totally lost because I get so little practice on them. On most of the offense heroes practice makes a huge difference - learning shortcuts and how to quickly aim with tracer, teleport spots on reaper, aiming rockets and using E as a movement boost on pharah, literally everything about Genji. On top of that you use different routes for these heroes than the rest of your team will be using.

So I end up only picking Soldier 76 cuz he plays like an FPS and he can at least heal :/ I'm terrible at playing anything that can be counted as a "flanker"