Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
There's already a bunch of whiners on Facebook complaining that Thrawn is gonna be "dumbed down" and "watered down" and "why should EU fans be happy that they're trotting out Thrawn when it completely goes against everything Thrawn's creator did with the character" etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

jivjov posted:

There's already a bunch of whiners on Facebook complaining that Thrawn is gonna be "dumbed down" and "watered down" and "why should EU fans be happy that they're trotting out Thrawn when it completely goes against everything Thrawn's creator did with the character" etc.

Thrawn being about to deduce winning military strategies from the art of an entire species is planet-as-biome dumbed-down already. I don't think they have much to worry about.

BillBear
Mar 13, 2013

Ask me about running my country straight into the ground every time I play EU4 multiplayer.
I don't know poo poo about Thrawn or the EU really, but that line about learning their culture made him seem pretty cool compared with most SW villains already. I like the look of him personally.

Also we only saw like, 10 seconds of him.

Bigsteve
Dec 15, 2000

Cock It!
Thrawn was the only only good thing about the expanded universe.

The only good thing.

Bigsteve fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Jul 16, 2016

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

homullus posted:

Thrawn being about to deduce winning military strategies from the art of an entire species is planet-as-biome dumbed-down already. I don't think they have much to worry about.

TBF, the Rebels trailer made it sound more like he was using more than just looking at paintings.

It will be hilarious to seem him defeated by someone like Sabine.

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?

Bigsteve posted:

Thrown was the only only good thing about the expanded universe.

The only good thing.

I was going to sweep in with a smug "What about ****?" post but I'm coming up empty.

Mara Jade, maybe? Bit of a Mary-Sue, I suppose. Dash Rendar and early Kyle Katarn are p. cool, but that's just because they're both rebranded Han Solo.

I still get a laugh out of people being pissed that Disney decided not to be bound by the dumpster fire that was the old EU.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

TerminalSaint posted:

I still get a laugh out of people being pissed that Disney decided not to be bound by the dumpster fire that was the old EU.

Same, but I suspect the latest Thrawn news is evidence that Disney will foolishly rebind themselves after escaping.

So I'm laughing at that, too.

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008
The Rebels guys are doing good so if they wanna throw Thrawn in there I say go ahead, the villains so far haven't been at all one dimensional or boring.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
What is Darth Maul may never die

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I'm not going to lie, the child in my soul is rejoicing to see Thrawn. Art and all.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Thrawn's going to end up in a coma or gently caress back off to the edge of the galaxy or something sometime before Rebels ends to explain his absence during the OT and then come back and be a big bad for the New Republic era series that comes after Rebels.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

In non-Thrawn-related news, Rogue One may not have an opening crawl, according to Kathleen Kennedy.

Doesn't really bother me much considering that some enterprising fans will likely edit one in after the home release is out.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Thrawn is canon but apart of a children's cartoon with god awful animation

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

hhhat posted:

I hardly think that's 'possible' Wedge.

Pretty sure somewhere back in his story he was definitely an Imperial pilot, right?

I do really enjoy the crap out of Rebels though. This season looks like fun.

I think Wedge was one of the few guys in Rogue Squadron who wasn't a former Imperial pilot.

TerminalSaint posted:

I was going to sweep in with a smug "What about ****?" post but I'm coming up empty.

Mara Jade, maybe? Bit of a Mary-Sue, I suppose. Dash Rendar and early Kyle Katarn are p. cool, but that's just because they're both rebranded Han Solo.

Rogue Squadron was cool :saddowns:

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Phi230 posted:

Thrawn is canon but apart of a children's cartoon with god awful animation

And a new book by Timothy Zahn coming out next year.

I don't know if this helps or hurts your feelings on this.

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
With an attitude like that you are limiting yourself on some good quality Star Wars story. Your loss I guess.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Cross-Section posted:

In non-Thrawn-related news, Rogue One may not have an opening crawl, according to Kathleen Kennedy.

Doesn't really bother me much considering that some enterprising fans will likely edit one in after the home release is out.

I would kinda hope that Rogue One wouldn't have an opening crawl.

Do something similar but unique; like the news reels from Clone Wars

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
Sabine has some extra-great hair this time around.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Wraith Squadron was good? KotOr 2? Humm, drat, I used to be super into the old EU, I'm sure I can think of something I like in it. I liked all the Zahn books, with all their bunch of characters like Talon Karrde and Mara Jade. Sure, Mary Sue or whatever, this is Star Wars. Over the top hyper competent characters is the norm. I liked Borsk Fey'lya and the Bothans in general, space assholes that they were. I liked Nom Anor, only good Yuuzhan Vong character. poo poo, I've got some good memories of that whole clusterfuck, like the book Han goes on an adventure with a space gypsy and end up thwarting an enemy conspiracy or Traitor by the guy who did the great Episode III novel or... poo poo, I think that's it. New Jedi Order got really really bad, although nowhere near as terrible as what followed it (if you can believe that). Not because the Yuuzhan Vong are an inherently bad idea, mind. Having a completely new enemy with different abilities and goals could work well. It's the execution/writing that was really bad. They should have been done way pulpier instead of going full 90s comic edgy. I also got some affection for the old Droids cartoon, for what it tried to do and it's weird catchy theme song. And the Glove of Dark Vader series is so amazingly bad I love it.

Anyway, I'm rambling. Old memories.

Sio
Jan 20, 2007

better red than dead

jivjov posted:

He's been dumbed down because they gave him pupils.

If he doesn't have the glowing red eyes that I thought were the coolest thing in the world when I was 12, what's the point?

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.
Letting Thrawn live in the Star Wars cannon is a cool thing and I think everyone, even the whiners, will appreciate him existing. I mean, outside of KOTOR 2, maybe, Star Wars isn't exactly high-brow drama. You can't expect much.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

I wish Han had said, "your..mother wanted to see.......one last time" beffore he died.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

who knows if Han is really dead though.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

smell this posted:

who knows if Han is really dead though.
Han not actually dying would be among the worst fakeouts in the entire 120+ year history of the motion picture.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

People often survive falling down deep holes in Star Wars, but nobody has ever survived being on an exploding planet.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
It was clearly a Changeling posing as Han due to some sort of Founders plot. Kylo Ren will be revealed as a Dominion leader in the war against the Resistance. Worf will break his neck in Episode VIII.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
He fell for a really long time and was reborn as Han Blanco.

Alucard Nacirema
Apr 22, 2008

by exmarx
everyone shits on the old EU but is the new EU really much better? and The Force Awakens literally ripped off the worst ideas from the old EU (Han's Son going Sith and repeating what Vader did and the sun crusher which they somehow made even goofier than the original version).

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Alucard Nacirema posted:

everyone shits on the old EU but is the new EU really much better?

Nope. Pretty clearly just as bad.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
If comparing two piles of poo poo, the smaller one is probably "less bad" but it still stinks.

The old EU has just had 20+ years to accumulate.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Gnome de plume posted:

He fell for a really long time and was reborn as Han Blanco.

His face was mangled in the process and the character of Han Blanco will be played by someone who costs much less money

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008
It's not the EU. It's just the U.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
Rogue One will be the Star Wars prequel we all really wanted but never got.

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008

dialhforhero posted:

Rogue One will be the Star Wars prequel we all really wanted but never got.

Now you've done it

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx

Bongo Bill posted:

People often survive falling down deep holes in Star Wars, but nobody has ever survived being on an exploding planet.

Not sure I really believe this.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

MrBigglesworth posted:

With an attitude like that you are limiting yourself on some good quality Star Wars story. Your loss I guess.

Tbh nothing in star wars matters outside the movies.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Phi230 posted:

Tbh nothing in star wars matters outside the movies.

This may have been true under the "tiered" system of the old Expanded Universe...but under the Story Group all of the books and comics and whatnot "matter" to the universe just as much as the films do.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

jivjov posted:

This may have been true under the "tiered" system of the old Expanded Universe...but under the Story Group all of the books and comics and whatnot "matter" to the universe just as much as the films do.

Until the films contradict them, which they inevitably will.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

computer parts posted:

Until the films contradict them, which they inevitably will.

Well, with the Story Group being directly involved with the plotting of the films, books, comics, etc...that hopefully won't happen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

jivjov posted:

Well, with the Story Group being directly involved with the plotting of the films, books, comics, etc...that hopefully won't happen

I cannot think of a single group that maintains perfect consistency over the time period the Star Wars films are likely to span (especially when getting to Episode 9 and beyond).

• Locked thread