Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

I thought this thread was going to be a role play thread where the virgin goons fantasize what it would be like to have a waifu and children to beat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Risky
May 18, 2003

Cuckoo posted:

*wears NO MA'AM t-shirt*

*pulling off NO MA'AM shirt to reveal YES MA'AM shirt when Marcy shows up"

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

This could have bought you a half a tank of gas, lmfao -
Love, gromdul

criscodisco posted:

At the time, Divine was really trying to get his name out there outside of drag, in more mainstream stuff. Unfortunately, he died unexpectedly before that could happen

From an enlarged heart, brought on by sleep apnea.

criscodisco posted:

and the character went to King Kong Bundy (no relation).

quote:

The creators of the show named the "Bundy" family after their favourite professional wrestler King Kong Bundy, though some fans mistakenly believed that the name was derived from serial killer Ted Bundy.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Ed O'neill is a supremely ugly man.

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

OP i am glad to see you spent the money you fleeced those goons out of wisely

are you still recovering from being 'homeless'?

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Is this one of those CineD threads that rotates through other forums that I hear about

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

I always liked this show. I watched it a lot with my dad growing up.

Pastry Mistakes
Apr 6, 2009

Jefferson will always be greater than Steve.

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

This could have bought you a half a tank of gas, lmfao -
Love, gromdul

hth posted:

OP i am glad to see you spent the money you fleeced those goons out of wisely

are you still recovering from being 'homeless'?

I'm no longer homeless, if that's what you mean.

Don Tacorleone posted:

Is this one of those CineD threads that rotates through other forums that I hear about

I went into TVIV, once. I won't be going back.

PokeJoe posted:

I always liked this show. I watched it a lot with my dad growing up.

Another great bit from another great episode.

olaf2022
Feb 19, 2003
Fun Shoe

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
The episode where they prank Griff by having him arrested for cannibalism.

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Supreme Allah posted:

MANY FOLKS SUPPOSE AL WAS A QB CAUSE OF HIS FAMOUS POSE AND THEY SAY HE THREW 4 TDS IN A GAME

REALITY??

AL WAS A FULLBACK & HE CAUGHT 4 TDS IN A GAME.

Sorry Fuckers dont even know about MWC.

Is this confirmed lore? I always thought he rushed for four touchdowns

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
He scored 4 touchdowns in a single game of high school football.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Ein cooler Typ posted:

Is this confirmed lore? I always thought he rushed for four touchdowns
Isn't there an episode where his record for running yards is broken by some tool Kelly dates?

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
Route 666 part 2 is hilarious

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

she got cancer and had to cut off her boobs :(

Nickelodeon Household
Apr 11, 2010

I like chocolate MIIIILK

criscodisco posted:

Uncle Irwin, the one on the left, was in a few episodes. The character was originally written to be played by Divine, of John Waters movie fame. At the time, Divine was really trying to get his name out there outside of drag, in more mainstream stuff. Unfortunately, he died unexpectedly before that could happen, and the character went to King Kong Bundy (no relation).

Fun fact: The family name Bundy is actually named after King Kong Bundy as the creators were huge fans of his.

FilthyImp posted:

Isn't there an episode where his record for running yards is broken by some tool Kelly dates?

No, he's on pace to break Al's single season touchdown record (and Kelly's record for banging every football player), but Kelly tackles him on the final play.

A ILL BREAKFAST
Jun 9, 2007

*unsheathes katana*
uhhh.... No Peg

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
*looks at sell by date on carton of milk*
"Well, I'm not selling it!"
*chugs*

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
kooky, kooky, lend me my big'uns

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
"You are standing in a thread. Someone has made an insightful post."
LOOK AT insightful post
"It's a pretty good post."
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post
"You shit on the post. Why."
It's funny to think that the show caused controversy with some episodes. It's even funnier to think that some other episodes would cause controversy with a whole other crowd these days. Some things never change.

I always liked the earlier episodes the best although there were also a few diamonds later on. Really preferred Steve though. The russians have a rip-off of this show which was still running last time I checked a few years ago, and it's apparently quite popular. Germany also tried to rip it off but it fell flat on it's face as it was terrible in every way and they copied 1:1 the plot of earlier episodes of Married with Children, so it was basically a bad remake, while the original show was still running. (They didn't last long though) The german copy also used that stand-in instrumental intro music Wikipedia tells me Sony used in a later DVD release as it couldn't secure the rights to the Sinatra recording,

As with most stuff from that decade, the dubbing was pretty top-notch. Around that time when people weren't as "global" some stuff just wouldn't make sense for a german audience (like american TV shows and celebs referenced, as also some culture references) and those jokes needed rewriting in translation. They changed some episodes quite substantially, but did generally a pretty good job and the show was very popular here. I only saw the US original many years later through the wonders of the Internet, biggest thing that surprised me was Als voice.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

A ILL BREAKFAST posted:

uhhh.... No Peg
Agreed, get some Peg up in here.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

comes along bort posted:

kooky, kooky, lend me my big'uns

I really did love how former child stars would come on the show, playing themselves, and they would make fun of themselves the entire episode.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

shadow puppet of a posted:

Agreed, get some Peg up in here.

remember that episode where that peg billboard overlooked the shoe store and al got defensive with anyone ogling at that

can i also add it's good to be ed o'neil

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

HOOTERS HOOTERS HOOTERS

*Cracks joke about Bud's inability to touch a girl*

*Dog intimates his exasperation to the audience*

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
:fistpump:

BAAAAWOOOOSH

T.S. Smelliot
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
I don't think young me ever laughed so hard in my life as at the episode where they join the National Guard for the garbagemen strike lol

Aug 4, 2010

would gently caress the cute one

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Vertical Lime posted:

remember that episode where that peg billboard overlooked the shoe store and al got defensive with anyone ogling at that

can i also add it's good to be ed o'neil

Al was the best. He'd constantly make fun of his own wife but if anyone else hurt her feelings he'd defend the poo poo out of her.

I also loved how much he adored Buck. There was one episode where Peggy was complaining about being very sick, and Al just kept saying "ok Peg". A few minutes later one of the kids say "dad, I think Buck is sick" and he immediately jumps up and shrieks "MY BABY????!!!" and runs over to console him.

What a great show. It was one of the few things my father and I bonded over even though it wasn't appropriate for my age (I was in elementary school). He kind of let it slide just for this show.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

www posted:

would gently caress the cute one

His name is Jefferson.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
In some other thread I made a comment that the show seemingly bypassed the college rock/alternative/grunge scene for the kids, didn't it? The earlier seasons had them sort of into hard rock and metal acts, Bud had his rapper phase, but it's almost like those never happened.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

JediTalentAgent posted:

In some other thread I made a comment that the show seemingly bypassed the college rock/alternative/grunge scene for the kids, didn't it? The earlier seasons had them sort of into hard rock and metal acts, Bud had his rapper phase, but it's almost like those never happened.

Did you ever notice not all people were into it even back in the day?

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it

JediTalentAgent posted:

I don't know. I think it made sort of the grunge-lite impression, with Kelly wearing flannels here and there but not often. Also it seems like right at the height of grunge they had Pantera on the show. Our maybe Anthrax. One of the two.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it

Jerry Cotton posted:

Maybe not, but I'd argue that the kids who are into metal in the 80's would probably be at least somewhat into grunge by the 90's.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Anthrax was was on the show and had speaking lines. So was like every 60's hippy rock has-been in the airport episode. There was simply no room for more musical acts.

And it would have been impossible to cast any bikini girls for a grunge/college rock episode so where would the fun be in having Mudhoney or Screaming Trees bringing down the atmosphere for three shooting days?

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I'd like to point out that it's canon in the show that Buds cool alter ego Grandmaster B came to life and murdered Bud and lived out the rest of his life

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

criscodisco posted:

Maybe not, but I'd argue that the kids who are into metal in the 80's would probably be at least somewhat into grunge by the 90's.

Pro tip: people in fiction aren't real and don't have any relation to real-world sensibilities :smuggo:

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro
OP this is a very good thread and you're doing some good reviews as well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

Jerry Cotton posted:

I get that, too. I knew people from the early 90s who were massive metal/hard rock fans who HATED everything about those sorts of acts at the time because it wasn't the 80s-styled loud metal scene stuff.

But with it being a popular TV show I could have seen them trying to capitalize on "This Nirvana stuff is HOT right now! The kids aren't into the 80s acts, anymore! Get Kelly to stop dressing like she's in a Whitesnake video and drop more references to Pearl Jam!" etc. I do get the feeling had the show not been winding down by the time the Spice Girls/Boy Band era was starting, they probably would have had Kelly/Bud involved in some character arc or storyline of becoming part of such a band or obsessed with one.

• Locked thread