Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

voltcatfish posted:

im gonna use the greatsword even though i've never used it before and have no idea how to use it

hell yeah

Equip the aerial style.

Roll at them.

Nail them in the sky with a goddamn level 3 charge super.

Laugh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
Remove Gypceros

this makes two games in a row where I hunted him for parts and wanted to kill myself rather than finish the hunt

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
Duelling with a glavenus for 40 minutes on a 3* village quest then carting a 3rd time after it's limping and with 7 minutes left on the clock owns so good

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

I was trying to stay optimistic but now that I've got a chance to play one the gunlance changes really hosed over wide gunlances. I'm getting like all of six shots before I'm plunged into overheat for two minutes.

It's literally punishing people for shelling too much on a branch of the weapon that encourages constant shelling.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

The heat gauge has no effect on shelling damage if you just want to keep shooting.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Your Computer posted:

Seriously? Welp :doh:

What about traders? I noticed my cat dropped to 1 enthusiasm after like 3 items but I could still queue up 10.

Their enthusiasm affects the "odds," or whether you get junk-like items in a trade cycle or the actual item you're trading for.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

enojy posted:

Their enthusiasm affects the "odds," or whether you get junk-like items in a trade cycle or the actual item you're trading for.

And this happens mid-trade too? Say if I send in a 4 enthusiasm cat to trade 10 items and after 3 items she's down to 1 enthusiasm; should I cancel the trade?

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe

Your Computer posted:

And this happens mid-trade too? Say if I send in a 4 enthusiasm cat to trade 10 items and after 3 items she's down to 1 enthusiasm; should I cancel the trade?

It hasn't for me, yet but I haven't sent them to farm rare materials yet

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Can you not kill Mizutsune the first time you meet it?

thorsilver
Feb 20, 2005

You have never
been at my show
You haven't seen before
how looks the trumpet

Your Computer posted:

In 500 hours of MHX I never saw any difference mid-trade, just make sure you send them into the trade with full enthusiasm.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
I found a sword in a stone and my character is not zelda.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

Wrist Watch posted:

I was trying to stay optimistic but now that I've got a chance to play one the gunlance changes really hosed over wide gunlances. I'm getting like all of six shots before I'm plunged into overheat for two minutes.

It's literally punishing people for shelling too much on a branch of the weapon that encourages constant shelling.

From what I've heard wyvern's fire and various arts can all lock the heat gauge as well, when you just want to spam shells for a while. Then when you can't lock the meter just go poke at tails or cuttable parts I guess idk

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

thorsilver posted:

In 500 hours of MHX I never saw any difference mid-trade, just make sure you send them into the trade with full enthusiasm.

Great, thanks! :3:

Question to bow users: how the heck do you deal with small monsters? I just had the most annoying fight against Arzuros ever because he was surrounded by some extremely frisky Jaggi and when they weren't interrupting my shots they were running in front of them. It was ridiculous.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
This dreamgear grip is pretty god drat nice. It catchings in the palm of your hand and its makes it really easy to hold. The extra plastic by the shoulder buttons really help keeping the middle finger from riding up and pressing the button.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump
Are there any obvious blademaster armor choices at the start of high rank? I've been running buja so far and not sure where to go next. Playing as aerial dual blades

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Your Computer posted:

Oh nah, I doubt that, but I don't know for sure. I send a 3 enthusiasm cat out for my trades, 10 at a time, and I don't think it's resulted in any junk yet.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I just realized that exhaust oil'd SnS not only does exhaust damage, it does KO damage with head impacts like a hammer

Jesus christ this weapon is godmode

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

Your Computer posted:

Great, thanks! :3:

Question to bow users: how the heck do you deal with small monsters? I just had the most annoying fight against Arzuros ever because he was surrounded by some extremely frisky Jaggi and when they weren't interrupting my shots they were running in front of them. It was ridiculous.

ignore them, let palicoes do it, fug dis *dung bombs monster and goes to next area*

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008
For Prowler mode, what exactly has an effect on how a Palico functions in that mode? I get that the equippable skills do, but anything else? Does the bias do anything other than make some skills more likely to be available for that Palico?

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
Cephadrome is so loving terrible and I am so mad they brought him back.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007
^^ Literally experienced a 1st/2nd Gen vaccum hipcheck last night. Almost broke my 3DS in two in fits of nerd PTSD induced flashbacks.

Good Citizen posted:

Are there any obvious blademaster armor choices at the start of high rank? I've been running buja so far and not sure where to go next. Playing as aerial dual blades

By that point you should really start specializing, which really tends to mean there are fewer "obvious" armor sets, because specializing tends to mean skilling according to what you personally find more important.

Example, DB benefits well enough from Focus, Razor Sharp, and Speed Sharpener, to say nothing of general damage augmenting skills like Attack Up, Sharpness+, Crit Eye, etc.

A lot of people favor the general damage augs like Attack Up and Sharpness+, but by High Rank I really much prefer to start building specialized sets per weapon class.

The problem with recommending sets is that what some people find important may just be a non-issue for others. BujaBujaBu is just such a crazy anomaly that is needs mentioning as an extreme outlier in its obviousness. Attack Up(L) when most weapons will hardly be pushing 100 attack is HUGE, and it will still feel incredibly substantial into very early High Rank. No matter what you do, it's probably going to feel like a downgrade in losing the attack power. It's either that, or go glass cannon, and slowly replace pieces of the set to maintain the attack bonus, THEN toward mid/later High-rank, start shifting from Attack to Crit, with things like Weakness Exploit and Sharpness+.

Seriously though, I would personally just slow down and try making things like a Focus/Razor Sharp/Speed Sharpening set. Your hits will be a ton weaker, but by virtue of needing to sharpen far less, and getting more meter out of your attacks, you should hopefully FEEL far more involved to offset the apparent damage penalty in losing that Attack Up. So just keep in mind that with each weapon upgrade the relative bonus of Attack Up gets smaller and smaller, which makes things that sort of work by proportional damage bonuses become more and more valuable. Focus, for example, is somewhat difficult to measure in terms of relative DPS increase. It's more quality-of-life. I personally can't stand constant Demonize/Canceling. Anything I can do to mitigate it goes a long way toward my enjoyment of the weapon. You have already been at it, so Focus just may not feel like it helps you at all, even if it does happen to reduce your hunt times - being able to stagger monsters and otherwise FEEL like your hits are hurting a monster is itself a quality-of-life feature.

What I am using all of these words to try and convey is that you should be making a set that makes you look the prettiest.

Kiggles fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Jul 17, 2016

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Plessy is back, hail satan. I unironically can't wait to sword burst years of hate into its face over and over again.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

HPanda posted:

For Prowler mode, what exactly has an effect on how a Palico functions in that mode? I get that the equippable skills do, but anything else? Does the bias do anything other than make some skills more likely to be available for that Palico?

Here's a resource I found on Prowler stuff: https://www.reddit.com/r/MonsterHunter/comments/48nndv/mhx_guide_nyanta_overload/

To answer your specific question, the biases determine how your super meter charges (all charge passively and also charge faster off a type of action):

pre:
Charisma	Various things
Fight	         Close range attacks
Guard	         Blocking
Assist       	Boomerang attacks
Heal	        *Unfavorable battle position(red/low health?)
Bomb	         Stronger bombs; passive meter gain is faster in battle
Collect	         Stealing and Gathering
It also determines what starting skills your cat has access to

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

Cephadrome is so loving terrible and I am so mad they brought him back.

I literally can't believe multiple people looked at that and said "Yeah, this is fine. Put it in the game."

It's seriously Sonic 2006 levels of bad.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
I love Verdant Hills. I do have horrible memories of this map farming Rathalos and Rathians for their plates/rubys.

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008

Countblanc posted:

Here's a resource I found on Prowler stuff: https://www.reddit.com/r/MonsterHunter/comments/48nndv/mhx_guide_nyanta_overload/

To answer your specific question, the biases determine how your super meter charges (all charge passively and also charge faster off a type of action):

pre:
Charisma	Various things
Fight	         Close range attacks
Guard	         Blocking
Assist       	Boomerang attacks
Heal	        *Unfavorable battle position(red/low health?)
Bomb	         Stronger bombs; passive meter gain is faster in battle
Collect	         Stealing and Gathering
It also determines what starting skills your cat has access to

Awesome, thank you!

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
You can Adept dodge through Gypceros' flashbang :getin:

Get hosed, bird.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Real talk: with my OCD and Capcom insisting on putting 6 million lovely gather/fish/mob hunt quests in just the first two HR levels they REALLY should allow you to kill off more than one of these quests at a time. Several times at this point have I done a quest where I needed 20 of X item but at the same time I found 5 of Y item and 10 of Z item I needed for two other separate quests that take place in the same zone. Come on, just let me knock all this stupid poo poo out in one fell swoop and get me to the meat of the game. There's a lot of stuff in MH that's definitely long in the tooth, and this is one of them, it's painfully obvious in this one when there's literally so drat many.

I know I can skip it but I need those god drat checkmarks.

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum

Your Computer posted:

Get hosed, bird.

You can also adept dodge through roars :v:

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

Your Computer posted:

I literally can't believe multiple people looked at that and said "Yeah, this is fine. Put it in the game."

It's seriously Sonic 2006 levels of bad.

Is that the monster in the dune area that pops out of the sand and bothers you, all the while you're losing health to the stifling heat? Yeah gently caress that thing

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Is that the monster in the dune area that pops out of the sand and bothers you, all the while you're losing health to the stifling heat? Yeah gently caress that thing

Bring some cold beers

thorsilver
Feb 20, 2005

You have never
been at my show
You haven't seen before
how looks the trumpet

HPanda posted:

Just to add to what Countblanc said, the biases also affect the Palico's base stats -- so Fighting cats do the most damage (both ranged and boomerangs), Defense cats have the highest defense, etc. Also each bias has a skill which is exclusive to that bias and not teachable to any other Palicos, so keep that in mind when thinking about builds, etc.

I love building up a stable of cats in this game, it's great fun to try and get the best possible builds for a ton of different situations :)

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Your Computer posted:

Get hosed, bird.

And his poison blobs! I'm starting to believe you can adept dodge through anything that would do you the slightest bit of harm. It's just confusing that some prolonged attacks have a specific window (e.g. Lagombi's circle) and others don't (forward charges.)

enojy fucked around with this message at 10:06 on Jul 17, 2016

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Oh my god, I got a new housekeeper option and the Chamberlyne just dropped the biggest guilt trip on me. Why would you do that :( I was hyped about switching housekeepers and now I just feel bad.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Why does the game allow monsters behind the area transition :negative: I just did an amazing golf swing on an Iodrome that killed him and sent his corpse a good 5 metres away. Now I can't carve him and get the stuff that I'm farming..

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
I don't understand how charge blade works at all. Anybody got a guide for utterly stupid idiots like me? The ingame advice is useless.

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

enojy posted:

And his poison blobs! I'm starting to believe you can adept dodge through anything that would do you the slightest bit of harm. It's just confusing that some prolonged attacks have a specific window (e.g. Lagombi's circle) and others don't (forward charges.)

Also the wyverns that do the multi-turn to face you, know how if you're near them it'll trip you for a smidge of damage? You can adept dodge through them! (seriously)

Also you can dodge through Wind effects and Tremors! Again, seriously

the dodge is super loving OP and I love it

The Worst Bear
Jul 25, 2012

Do I look like a reasonable man to you, or a peppermint nightmare?
Been rolling all over the usual stable of monsters, getting my offline checkmarks out of the way... Until Gammoth came and took a big poo poo all over everything. :saddowns: I can't remember the last time a quest went over 15~20mins, but fatty just stomped all over the mountain for a full forty until I finally used my last cart. Serves me right for going in with nothing but a stack of potions to supplement the box items but come on, MHX, it's low rank here. Can someone confirm that 3* Village Gammoth is killable?

That aside I am completely in love with new mammoth friend and can't wait to fight him again. I missed this game so much.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

I don't understand how charge blade works at all. Anybody got a guide for utterly stupid idiots like me? The ingame advice is useless.

Generally speaking you throw almost everything you know about other weapons out the window.

Instead of considering your moveset and the available window of opportunity in order to use the most damaging attack/combo that the window affords, you just sort of hammer away as much as you can with the charged A button attack (don't over charge it).

After a few rounds of this your phials will be glowing red. Hit some buttons and you will convert the charge into stored phials. I can't for the life of me even remember what the button combo is.

From here, you can build another charge to sit on for a moment, or immediate go into axe mode and convert the stored phials into a different charge in your shield. This gives axe mode attacks a damage bonus and improves the block capability of your shield. You can do this from sword mode, but it will only yield a yellow buff, which is strictly inferior, so go for red - only possible in axe mode. Note later.

Eventually you should have a charged shield and phials loaded up with hot death. Back into axe mode

From here you sort of spam a combo that has you doing that big spinny swing attack that hits twice for the cost of one phial. Once phials are depleted, you rinse and repeat charging blade -> convert to phails -> axe mode to burn phials, with the odd phials -> shield buff. Note: Refreshing a red shield buff can be done from sword mode.

I found the weapon needlessly convoluted with such an emphasis on the resource mechanic that I would hardly have to give a poo poo about what monsters were doing, or even where I was hitting them, before they would unceremoniously die (unless they happened to die to an AED, which was pretty cool). A lot of people really enjoy the weapon, and it DOES bring a lot to the table; my flowchart of sorts posted above is rather everything you have to mess with to get anything out the resource. Guard Points for example are really cool, and I would have a ton of fun with the class if I could somehow build more around them and just ignore things like the phial bursts.

SO: here's something you may want to ask yourself. DO you prefer to look at what monsters are doing, and more immediately pick the best attack on the weakest enemy part in order to deal damage in near future in a deliberate sort of dodge/range -> counter? If yes, then basically pick any weapon other than charge blade. On the other hand, would you rather ignore where you're attacking or with what attacks you're using in favor of managing a resource mechanic so you can deal bigger damage maybe 30 seconds to 1 minute down the line? If yes, then charge blade may be worth really exploring. This isn't to really say you should ignore where you are hitting monsters with CB; it's rather to say that building charge usually has a bigger pay off then spending a few extra moments finding a squishier hitzone.

Kiggles fucked around with this message at 13:14 on Jul 17, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

charge up your energy by hitting poo poo in sword mode, sink that energy into vials (r+a), sink those vials into your shield for better shield defense and axe power(a+x cancelled with r in axe mode), put more energy into vials, spend vials in axe mode

cb has a definite flow to it that takes a little while to get used to, but once you do it's fun as hell

• Locked thread