Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
A 1200+ thread on Reddit calling for nerfs to Torbjorn's turret based on a gif of a Pharrah at 4 health dropping down to grab a health back and getting pinged by a turret from across the way. I'm not saying I've never had difficulty uprooting a Torb turret before but how are people this far into the game's release still having this much trouble with a 300 hitpoint stationary gizmo that does like 48 DPS? I mean I'm not a great player by any stretch but of all the things to call for nerfs to, Torbjorn is like at the bottom of the proverbial list.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

objects in mirror
Apr 9, 2016

by Shine
Wow, just played Competitive game where our team was being trolled by one of our own players who played Mei. First time I left a Comp match.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

objects in mirror posted:

Wow, just played Competitive game where our team was being trolled by one of our own players who played Mei. First time I left a Comp match.

Yeah, there doesn't really seem like a great way to deal with this sort of behavior...what do you report them for? How does Blizzard differentiate between legitimate griefing and someone who just isn't good? If they'd kept the Avoid Player feature then this wouldn't be as much of an issue but welp.

objects in mirror
Apr 9, 2016

by Shine
It just occurred to me that it could be a way for them to try to de-rank!

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Just recently picked this back up after a month or so break and tried out comp, and could someone explain to me something?

Had a game on Hanamura where neither team could capture the second point so we went into rounds 3 and 4.

They attacked first, and upon capturing the first point got extra time, still managed to stall them out.

Round 4, we attack, we capture the first point....and get no extra time, leaving us with 28 seconds to capture point B, and we promptly are unable to do jack poo poo.

Why did they get extra time but we didn't? I know I wasn't just not looking at the banked time we had correctly or anything, the person I was queued with was equally confused, and our pubs seemed to be as well as two of them went "wtf" when we captured the first point and had no extra time.

Clearly I'm missing something here, but I don't know what.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.
I've been playing Zenyatta in PTR and oh my god.

I would actually just reclassify him as assault now. The healing is nice all but the damage you do is downright bonkers. I've been killing Tracers with just a headshot into melee after orbing and building insane damage off of tanks like Roadhog and D.Va while outright countering Pharah. And his orbs, being projectile based, are so fast that it doesn't even matter that they're not hitscan. I would be absolutely okay if Zenyatta is just finalized in this state.

Also I saw this message while I was playing and I just thought it was funny.

objects in mirror
Apr 9, 2016

by Shine
Some guy has reached Rank 80 only playing Torbjorn. His ingame handle is Torbjorn.

One of his recent streams:

https://www.twitch.tv/fredfltstone/v/78138622

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

objects in mirror posted:

Some guy has reached Rank 80 only playing Torbjorn. His ingame handle is Torbjorn.

One of his recent streams:

https://www.twitch.tv/fredfltstone/v/78138622

I was looking into this guy. He's basically abusing the fact that the rank system tries to estimate your performance and puts too much weight on an aimbot having a lot of minimal contributions to a fight. Look up the rank list on watcher.gg and he's got about 10% less winrate than other people at his rank. Basically every time he loses, he's being docked fewer ranked points and every time he wins, he's being awarded more, because the game thinks adding a single bullet to someone that was gonna die anyway is important work. And if you ever play support, you're loving your ranked points vs. winrate ratio even harder compared to him. Look for people with a similar winrate and you'll see his rank is probably inflated 10 to 15 points.

Watch him play. He just repeatedly builds level 1s and they repeatedly get obliterated. His teams effectively fight 5v6 until he can pop off a full core during a decisive fight and that's about the one time he's not just soaking unearned rank points.

The thing he does well is save Core for decisive teamfights. If you watch his quickplay I think he actually wins on attack more than on defense because this is pretty much the biggest time he's not just forcing his team to work 5 v 6. He leans on the power of that ult to make objective battles favor the attacker. Build something until it sticks, wait for the attack to start, press Q.

Nehru the Damaja fucked around with this message at 12:06 on Jul 17, 2016

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Healer chat.

Zet feels weak because he has no way to deal with enemies at close range. What's your take? Why do so few play him? Survivability aside, I'm unsure how his heals compare to the others. Potential high-damage at range if you have good aim?

Mercy's ult feels tricky to use, but when used properly, is the best one in the game. Folks talk about the power of single-target-heal. What's your take on that? The fly-away seems like a good escape, but realistically, there usually isn't someone in LOS to use it on.

Lucio feels OP - if on the same team with another healer, he always takes the gold healer medal. His big advantages seem to be his ability to stay alive with the amped speed boost, the push away, and his small size. He can also fight decently without sacrificing his healing. Ult feels OK, but not on Mercy's level. Overall, I feel like his ability to stay alive, and fight while boosting makes him indispensable. And he can get himself and teammates back into a fight quick after respawn.

My overall take: Healers are no-good when dead, so Lucio is most effective.

Dominoes fucked around with this message at 12:53 on Jul 17, 2016

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

Dominoes posted:

Zen feels weak because he has no way to deal with enemies at close range.
Counter-argument:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4DCBnwfiWs

All it takes is being decent at close-range prediction.

Unless you mean not-PTR Zenyetta who is terrible.

Theta Zero fucked around with this message at 12:58 on Jul 17, 2016

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Maybe zet's only good for players who have good aim?

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

Dominoes posted:

Maybe zet's only good for players who have good aim?

Well, that's true for any character.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Theta Zero posted:

Well, that's true for any character.

There are plenty of characters in Overwatch who don't require good aim to do well on.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

Andrast posted:

There are plenty of characters in Overwatch who don't require good aim to do well on.

Yeah, for some reason I understood that as "they're good if your aim is good."

Which I realize is also not true because you have characters like Symmetra where the game aims for you.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Dominoes posted:

Healer chat.

Zet feels weak because he has no way to deal with enemies at close range. What's your take? Why do so few play him? Survivability aside, I'm unsure how his heals compare to the others. Potential high-damage at range if you have good aim?

Mercy's ult feels tricky to use, but when used properly, is the best one in the game. Folks talk about the power of single-target-heal. What's your take on that? The fly-away seems like a good escape, but realistically, there usually isn't someone in LOS to use it on.

Lucio feels OP - if on the same team with another healer, he always takes the gold healer medal. His big advantages seem to be his ability to stay alive with the amped speed boost, the push away, and his small size. He can also fight decently without sacrificing his healing. Ult feels OK, but not on Mercy's level. Overall, I feel like his ability to stay alive, and fight while boosting makes him indispensable. And he can get himself and teammates back into a fight quick after respawn.

My overall take: Healers are no-good when dead, so Lucio is most effective.

Zenyatta is more of a damage dealer that can heal than a support. Usually teams just don't have the space for that, and I'm pretty sure I have outhealed a Zenyatta as Soldier:76 before. His "Support" tag is because he gets his team to focus someone and makes them weaker, more than the healing which is a kind of side bonus unless he ults.

Mercy's Fly can be used without LOS if you're currently healing too which can be useful on stuff like flying heroes (Takes you straight to the person you're healing, follows the beam). Also yyeah that ult is the most annoying thing in the game, especially if you can tell a teamwipe is coming and you just hide and undo it.

Lucio is fun because on top of healing he's a little ninja wallrunning all over the place, and his heal is great for times when your team needs to gather around like KOTH or payloads. I play him the most of all supports but there are times when I can tell a Mercy would've been better, usually depending on your team comp. Also you get people wandering away from objective where you are then spamming I NEED HEALING.

The reason Lucio gets gold though is because he just heals everything all the time, sometimes you need the more focused healing a Mercy gives especially if you have one very good hero that needs babysitting and an otherwise useless team

creatine
Jan 27, 2012

Anyone with an AMD GPU notice that on Windows 10 the display driver will crash a lot? I think it has to do with the battle.net client but it's super frustrating. I have a brand new 850W power supply so I don't think it's a power issue.

SadisTech
Jun 26, 2013

Clem.

Pumpy Dumper posted:

Anyone with an AMD GPU notice that on Windows 10 the display driver will crash a lot? I think it has to do with the battle.net client but it's super frustrating. I have a brand new 850W power supply so I don't think it's a power issue.

YES. I was wondering if that was a common issue. And yeah, it's Battle.net doing it.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

How is there not a stat for extra damage done with discord orbs?

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

Andrast posted:

How is there not a stat for extra damage done with discord orbs?

I honestly think discord orb bonus damage should be counted and shared as damage done by you and whoever is shooting them.

Then I can get all 5 gold medals as Zenyatta.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Pumpy Dumper posted:

Yes, this happens to me a lot; I always have to force quit b.net from the task manager afterwards. Sometimes it happens up to 3 times a day, but it's been happening a lot less recently.

creatine
Jan 27, 2012

Lester Shy posted:

Yes, this happens to me a lot; I always have to force quit b.net from the task manager afterwards. Sometimes it happens up to 3 times a day, but it's been happening a lot less recently.

Good to know I'm not the only one. I get it like 2-3 times everyday

an actual frog
Mar 1, 2007

HEH, HEH, HEH!

Lester Shy posted:

dumb question but does the bnet option to close the laucher when games are running help alleviate the issue? I recall that suggestion being thrown around last time stability issues cropped up

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Pumpy Dumper posted:

A little late now but...
Never buy AMD, no matter what ~performance to price~ show on various benchmark sites. Compatibility an stability with a lot of games and such is awful and never worth the budget corner cutting for exactly reasons like that.

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

Pumpy Dumper posted:

I am having the same with an NVidia 960GTX

run up overwatch and i get a "Your Video Driver has recovered from non responsive state" every time

This started since the last update from M$ on Tuesday last week

Just seen an Nvidia update available will see what its like after

TheresaJayne fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Jul 17, 2016

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Theta Zero posted:

Counter-argument:

I played some PTR and Zen felt too good. He can sit way back and be effective yet he murders Genji and Tracer. What are you supposed to do about Zen? Headshot him with Widowmaker?

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

Dren posted:

I played some PTR and Zen felt too good. He can sit way back and be effective yet he murders Genji and Tracer.

oh no how horrible

Celebrity Ghost
Sep 26, 2007

I know he's getting buffed already, but would it be too much if Discord somehow did drain healing? Like any damage Zen does to the target heals people around him for X amount, or people shooting the target get some HP back.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

That would probably turn Zen into the absolute best support of all time.

E: as in he'd be absurdly overpowered.

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

Celebrity Ghost posted:

I know he's getting buffed already, but would it be too much if Discord somehow did drain healing? Like any damage Zen does to the target heals people around him for X amount, or people shooting the target get some HP back.

Probably, yeah. He already has a source of healing and they have to balance that against how much killing he's capable of. There's a reason Lucio can't output meaningful damage outside of cliff boops. The Harmony/Discord orb speed buff is a lot more powerful than it sounds.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Dren posted:

I played some PTR and Zen felt too good. He can sit way back and be effective yet he murders Genji and Tracer. What are you supposed to do about Zen? Headshot him with Widowmaker?

I mean at the end of the day, even post buffs, Zenyatta is still a 200 hitpoint character with less mobility than even Hanzo and no emergency defense/escape options. So I guess the answer to how you deal with Zen is the same as how you deal with Hanzos...burst DPS them down, get the drop on them as Reaper, use Winston to harass the poo poo out of them, etc.

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

Kai Tave posted:

I mean at the end of the day, even post buffs, Zenyatta is still a 200 hitpoint character with less mobility than even Hanzo and no emergency defense/escape options. So I guess the answer to how you deal with Zen is the same as how you deal with Hanzos...burst DPS them down, get the drop on them as Reaper, use Winston to harass the poo poo out of them, etc.

He's also got a fat hitbox, so Flamestrike is a good way to get him to gently caress off for a bit. I find that he's too fat and slow to dodge it unless you see from a mile away.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.
Zenyatta's fine as is (that is, in PTR). If anything, I'd give him a teeny little buff like a tad faster harmony orb heal or letting teammates see discord orbs through walls like Zenyatta can. Maybe even something simple like a movement speed increase or faster charge up on his alternate fire. Even if he never changes from PTR, he's really good and actually viable.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Theta Zero posted:

Counter-argument:

funnily enough, ptr zen does less damage than live zen. they dropped him from 45 to 40 (but upped his alt from 35 to 40, tho who cares about his alt fire)

it's just that he dies so fast that it doesn't really matter that he can deal damage

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Zen could do no damage and he'd probably still be a top tier hero on the PTR because discord absurdly loving good

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)
Zen's attack orbs at distance isn't really good, unless you're targeting someone like roadhog, i think people are overestimating how fast they travel.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Mister Fister posted:

Zen's attack orbs at distance isn't really good, unless you're targeting someone like roadhog, i think people are overestimating how fast they travel.

There were people here who thought he was hitscan. Might still be some.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

I wouldn't say no to a vampire support, but it probably shouldn't be Zenyatta. He's pretty powerful as is

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Nihilarian posted:

I wouldn't say no to a vampire support, but it probably shouldn't be Zenyatta. He's pretty powerful as is

Symmetra is already in the game

because she sucks at support :iamafag:

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Manatee Cannon posted:

funnily enough, ptr zen does less damage than live zen. they dropped him from 45 to 40 (but upped his alt from 35 to 40, tho who cares about his alt fire)

it's just that he dies so fast that it doesn't really matter that he can deal damage

Actually on balance Zenyatta probably does more damage on the PTR than the does on live because Discord is near instantaneous now, which means that it is applied before your orbs hit, whereas before you could hit with your orbs while discord was trundling along waiting to get there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo
I'd like to see Orb of Discord, mercy boost and Nano Boost be 30% increases.

50% throws a bunch of characters out of balance.