Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Injuryprone posted:

Had someone pull out the tree and triakadekaphobia combo on me twice; that blew. Ended up getting the bug wizard as my promo and pulled the uw exile spirit and big flash crab.

Edit: The triska person had 5/6 of their pack rares or w/e in black and that made me hella suspicious.

I would say its pretty likely he pulled the tree and the temptation of slipping in a triakadekaphobia was too much to resist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
With Nahiri and three Deranged Whelps, you can do some things in sealed.

I went 3-1 in the event. Prizes were pack rounds so the kids wouldn't feel bad, so all I got was three packs as my payout. Oh well, $7.50 more toward my store credit.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Now im thinking people probably thought i cheated at my prerelease :(

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
Went 3-1 with a sorta janky UR prowess thing; opened up Gisela, foil Imprisoned in the Moon, Decimator of Provinces, Eternal Scourge, and Grim Flayer in my 4 prize packs. Got Bruna as my prerelease foil and opened another in my pool as the only white cards worth noting so no play there, and the rest of my rares in my pool were sad, but I got there. And now I have a Brisela.

zerokunami
Apr 29, 2009
Wife's pool had a Tamiyo, a Nahiri, and a promo Eldritch Evolution. Welp.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

benzine posted:

Meld cards are cool.

What angel has the top half of Brisela? I want that art in my life and I'm hoping I don't have to pay very good mythic prices to do it.

Edit: oh duh it's in gatherer. Looks like it's Grisela. :(

Boxman fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Jul 17, 2016

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive

Boxman posted:

What angel has the top half of Brisela? I want that art in my life and I'm hoping I don't have to pay very good mythic prices to do it.

Gisela, the Broken Blade has the Brisela art, Bruna, the Fading Light has the text box and a sliver of the art

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Boxman posted:

I have bad news.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
This deck was sweet tonight. Should've went 4-0 but went 3-1 losing against some beatdown warewolf deck that curved out 2 games in a row. Cast Emrakul like 4 times.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i've been playing with poverty spec RG dredge, it's pretty fun. i dont have bloodghasts or fetches or grave-trolls so its kinda neutered, but i still have a lot of fun playing it and it seems to actually hold its own vs a bunch of decks? im enjoying it more than i enjoyed my favorite GY deck which was pre-DR-ban bridge style

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

"[/spoiler posted:

Jonny 290" post="462173550"]
i've been playing with poverty spec RG dredge, it's pretty fun. i dont have bloodghasts or fetches or grave-trolls so its kinda neutered, but i still have a lot of fun playing it and it seems to actually hold its own vs a bunch of decks? im enjoying it more than i enjoyed my favorite GY deck which was pre-DR-ban bridge style

I have no idea what this post is trying to say so [T]ell me about OS/2 WARP.

Injuryprone
Sep 26, 2007

Speak up, there's something in my ear.

Sickening posted:

I would say its pretty likely he pulled the tree and the temptation of slipping in a triakadekaphobia was too much to resist.

Yeah they got pretty nervous once I started talking about it. Especially since they both got played super early in both games. Oh well.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
Opened a Liliana, Bruna and Relentless Dead at my Pre-Release. 2-2 then they cut to Top 8 for a draft(?), so I'm glad I lost so I wouldn't be there for two more hours. Played Abzan Round 1 then just dropped to BW and won a couple rounds, so :toot:.

Liliana got out several games, killed some spirit tokens, Ult'd once and the guys scooped on the next turn. +1 doesn't seem great. Ultimate seems rad.

Also had a seven minute judge call where the guy spent that time Googling how in the hell it worked when I attacked with my Relentless Dead into a Mad Prophet and Permeating Mass. He ruled the Prophet died, the Relentless Dead died and I got to pull it back to my hand (e: paying the B to use its ability). He said there were three pages of discussion on that card and had a hell of a time figuring out what to do, Permeating Mass is gonna be a good argument starter.

Soul Glo fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Jul 17, 2016

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

suicidesteve posted:

I have no idea what this post is trying to say so [T]ell me about OS/2 WARP.

I actually have never even used OS/2 WARP, i was always jealous of the kids that had it. win 3.11 for workgroups and thats it

Deck: rg dredge

//Lands
1 Battlefield Forge
4 Copperline Gorge
2 Dakmor Salvage
2 Forest
2 Mountain
2 Rootbound Crag
3 Snow-Covered Mountain
1 Temple Garden
1 Vivid Crag

//Spells
1 Ancient Grudge
2 Burning Inquiry
2 Conflagrate
2 Darkblast
4 Faithless Looting
4 Life from the Loam
1 Rally the Peasants
1 Tormenting Voice
1 Unburial Rites

//Creatures
1 Elesh Norn, Grand Cenobite
4 Golgari Thug
1 Hellspark Elemental
4 Insolent Neonate
4 Narcomoeba
4 Prized Amalgam
4 Stinkweed Imp
2 Street Wraith

//Sideboard
3 Ancient Grudge
1 Raven's Crime
1 Gnaw to the Bone
1 Ghost Quarter
1 Memory's Journey
2 Lightning Axe
1 Street Wraith
1 Conflagrate
1 Worm Harvest
1 Mystic Retrieval
1 Ray of Revelation
1 Burning Inquiry

Display deck statistics

dredge deck, pop narcos, trigger amalgams. consistent loam engine helps so much, pumps conflags, pulls back the temple garden to zombify elesh, so on.
conflagrate maindeck is so boss

i'll never be Good at magic, but i like watching good people play

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Soul Glo posted:

Opened a Liliana, Bruna and Relentless Dead at my Pre-Release. 2-2 then they cut to Top 8 for a draft(?), so I'm glad I lost so I wouldn't be there for two more hours. Played Abzan Round 1 then just dropped to BW and won a couple rounds, so :toot:.

Liliana got out several games, killed some spirit tokens, Ult'd once and the guys scooped on the next turn. +1 doesn't seem great. Ultimate seems rad.

Also had a seven minute judge call where the guy spent that time Googling how in the hell it worked when I attacked with my Relentless Dead into a Mad Prophet and Permeating Mass. He ruled the Prophet died, the Relentless Dead died and I got to pull it back to my hand (e: paying the B to use its ability). He said there were three pages of discussion on that card and had a hell of a time figuring out what to do, Permeating Mass is gonna be a good argument starter.

Permeating Mass is awesome just based on how many bad attacks my opponents made last night because after 5 turns of board stall, they inevitably forgot their big lifelinking/flying/etc. dude was actually a "vanilla" 1/3 when trying to swing for lethal. :v:

Also, Tammy is loving amazing. I want to build a Bant superfriends deck with her mainlining it.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.
So I'm playing Miracles on MTGO against some sort of BUG Delver (with Delvers and Mongeese, not Shardless). My opponent plays a Winter Orb after I kept a 5 lander, so I felt smart as hell. We go back and forth, my opponent is crushed by my card and mana advantage because I'm pretty sure Winter Orb was way better for me than my opponent. Eventually, I have 5 basics and two fetches in play, all untapped, against a Wasteland, two Blue lands and no creatures, so I figure it's time. I play Monastery Mentor - my opponent Forces. I crack a fetchland, my opponent Stifles that. I figure it's time to go deep, so I fetch again, play a Snapcaster, and Snapcaster back a Flusterstorm, putting three Flusterstorms on my opponents Force and two on the Stifle - if they pay for the Stifle, it taps them out for Winter Orb, which seemed relevant. My opponent unfortunately has a Flusterstorm, and I'm tapped out, so I get to sit there for three minutes while my opponent figures out how to correctly assign Flusterstorm copies.

Both my Mentor and my fetchland activation resolved. Thanks MTGO! And now my opponent has joined/disconnected four times and they're at 17:30 on the clock, so....yeah MTGO is real bad.

Soul Glo posted:

Why would that need such a large discussion? Permeating Mass has a triggered ability ("whenever"). All damage is assigned at the same time - the Dead and the Prophet die from State Based Effects, then the Mass's triggered ability goes on the stack, then the Relentless Dead's abilities go on the stack. The Mass's ability only works on actual creatures in play ("that creature" refers to a permanent in play) so it doesn't actually do anything.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
So there is nothing that gets rid of graveyards in standard other than Burn Away? Huh?

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Jonny 290 posted:

I actually have never even used OS/2 WARP, i was always jealous of the kids that had it. win 3.11 for workgroups and thats it

Deck: rg dredge

//Lands
1 Battlefield Forge
4 Copperline Gorge
2 Dakmor Salvage
2 Forest
2 Mountain
2 Rootbound Crag
3 Snow-Covered Mountain
1 Temple Garden
1 Vivid Crag

//Spells
1 Ancient Grudge
2 Burning Inquiry
2 Conflagrate
2 Darkblast
4 Faithless Looting
4 Life from the Loam
1 Rally the Peasants
1 Tormenting Voice
1 Unburial Rites

//Creatures
1 Elesh Norn, Grand Cenobite
4 Golgari Thug
1 Hellspark Elemental
4 Insolent Neonate
4 Narcomoeba
4 Prized Amalgam
4 Stinkweed Imp
2 Street Wraith

//Sideboard
3 Ancient Grudge
1 Raven's Crime
1 Gnaw to the Bone
1 Ghost Quarter
1 Memory's Journey
2 Lightning Axe
1 Street Wraith
1 Conflagrate
1 Worm Harvest
1 Mystic Retrieval
1 Ray of Revelation
1 Burning Inquiry

Display deck statistics

dredge deck, pop narcos, trigger amalgams. consistent loam engine helps so much, pumps conflags, pulls back the temple garden to zombify elesh, so on.
conflagrate maindeck is so boss

i'll never be Good at magic, but i like watching good people play

That's the kind of deck someone that lives in a trailer would play.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Hellsau posted:

Why would that need such a large discussion? Permeating Mass has a triggered ability ("whenever"). All damage is assigned at the same time - the Dead and the Prophet die from State Based Effects, then the Mass's triggered ability goes on the stack, then the Relentless Dead's abilities go on the stack. The Mass's ability only works on actual creatures in play ("that creature" refers to a permanent in play) so it doesn't actually do anything.

:shrug: I knew all damage happened at the same time, and I knew no matter what the Mad Prophet and the Relentless Dead would die. My concern was that my Relentless Dead would go to the graveyard as a Mass, meaning I couldn't trigger its ability to pull it back to my hand. Apparently we weren't the only ones at a loss, given how much discussion was online about it, apparently.

mcmagic posted:

So there is nothing that gets rid of graveyards in standard other than Burn Away? Huh?

Eldrazi processors?

anglachel
May 28, 2012

mcmagic posted:

They didnt want to guarantee Delirium based decks would be unplayable. I mean they did that with their other decisions, but somebody probably brought up that "guys graveyard hate will make our precious not work!" and graveyard was a no no from then on.

It's not like we need graveyard hate to hold back the 3 reanimator cards currently in standard.

Edit:

Also Burn Away isn't standard legal. It's Khans of Tarkir isn't it?

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Soul Glo posted:

I think that sounds right.

You attack with RD, he double blocks with Prophet and Mass.
You assign combat damage with 2 to Prophet, 0 to Mass.
He assigns combat damage with all to RD.
Combat Damage happens Mass effect triggers going on the stack (like pre-keyword life link); Prophet and RD both take lethal and are state based into the graveyard, RD trigger goes on the stack.
RD effect resolves, you pay the B to return it to your hand.
Mass effect resolves.

Is this interpretation right or have I borked up somewhere?

Nomadic Scholar
Feb 6, 2013

I can just imagine CoCo hitting Mass in response to an attack. That's gonna be annoying. Aside from CoCo being a busted card that drove me out of mtg for a bit.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
It's also a spirit, so you can Flash it in if you have Rattlechains. And any deck playing it will also have CoCo, so that's eight ways.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

A battlefield, 1/3's bouncing off of one another, as far as the eye can see.

:boom:

Nomadic Scholar
Feb 6, 2013

All hail 6 months of Bant Spirits

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
I tested a version Bant Spirits with Mass and didn't think it was very good. In theory it's a great surprise blocker but mostly you just don't want to hit it with CoCo or have it in your hand.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
It seems like it fills the Yoked Ox role of "haha gently caress you aggressive decks" out of the sideboard, which a slow deck that might be in danger of getting run over by aggro could find useful.

On the other hand, you can just play Sylvan Advocate main in every single one of those decks, so the Mass seems pretty bad in this meta.

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug

Nomadic Scholar posted:

All hail 6 months of Bant Spirits

I want to play standard again.

I got Bruna in my pre-release but jack poo poo white cards, well I got a foiled robo-doge and a regular robo-doge. My friend got Tireless Tracker and Hanweir Militia Captain and Lord of the Delvers, he proceeded to grind me out slowly and painfully. Also Faithbearer Paladin plus True-Faith Censer is stupid.

My LGS pays out 1 pack per win and 2 additional packs for undefeated, matches not rounds so if you have 12 points after 4 round Swiss you get bonus packs, players.

Thisuck fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Jul 17, 2016

uninverted
Nov 10, 2011

I felt like king poo poo after I got someone to take three facedown lands instead of a spell with this card at the prerelease.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Soul Glo posted:

Reflector Mage bouncing spell queller exiling collected company placing reflector Mage on the battlefield forever in an endless loop.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

mcmagic posted:

Cast Emrakul like 4 times.

The prospect of casting Emrakul almost makes me wanna play standard.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Snacksmaniac posted:

The prospect of casting Emrakul almost makes me wanna play standard.

Just play it in Blue Tron instead! I need to come up with some way to assemble a lock with it though.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Prophet of Kruphix and Capsize or something.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Soul Glo posted:

It's a one drop that walls off early/mid-game Advocate. That has to be worth something.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

suicidesteve posted:

Just play it in Blue Tron instead! I need to come up with some way to assemble a lock with it though.

:gonk:
I don't know which is a worse fate.

DurdleDuck
Jul 17, 2013

Soul Glo posted:

Gridlocked posted:

I think that sounds right.

You attack with RD, he double blocks with Prophet and Mass.
You assign combat damage with 2 to Prophet, 0 to Mass.
He assigns combat damage with all to RD.
Combat Damage happens Mass effect triggers going on the stack (like pre-keyword life link); Prophet and RD both take lethal and are state based into the graveyard, RD trigger goes on the stack.
RD effect resolves, you pay the B to return it to your hand.
Mass effect resolves.

Is this interpretation right or have I borked up somewhere?

The answer to this question is in the release notes for Eldritch Moon, which a proper judge really shouldn't spend 7 minutes trying to find.

"A creature dealt lethal damage during combat won't survive long enough to become a copy of Permeating Mass."

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

DurdleDuck posted:

The answer to this question is in the release notes for Eldritch Moon, which a proper judge really shouldn't spend 7 minutes trying to find.

"A creature dealt lethal damage during combat won't survive long enough to become a copy of Permeating Mass."

I mean, wouldn't this be obvious to begin with if you have any understanding of how damage triggers work?

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

DurdleDuck posted:

So what I said just in a single sentence.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

AlternateNu posted:

It's a one drop that walls off early/mid-game Advocate. That has to be worth something.

I'm not complaining, I really hope someone figures out a good spot in a deck for PMass, I think it'd be pretty funny.

DurdleDuck posted:

TBF I think I recall the guy saying it was his first pre-release he was working by himself, and he gave us the 7 minutes tacked onto the end of our game so in all we just had a delay. Not that big a deal.

But yeah, maybe read the release notes because my scrub rear end sure didn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

uninverted posted:

I felt like king poo poo after I got someone to take three facedown lands instead of a spell with this card at the prerelease.

I felt like king poo poo after I ran it in my deck at the prerelease, and never managed to have it backfire. I somehow always got the Good Pile.

I want to have a standard deck with it.

• Locked thread