Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

I can't bloody be bothered with Rewrite right now. The start's fairly flat and the world isn't that interesting to me. I suppose I'll just re-read Little Busters since that's the current topic of discussion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shark Tower
Dec 31, 2008

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

I can't bloody be bothered with Rewrite right now. The start's fairly flat and the world isn't that interesting to me. I suppose I'll just re-read Little Busters since that's the current topic of discussion.

Personally, I thought the last route/ending to Rewrite was rear end. But a lot of people seemed to really enjoy it, so...

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I would honestly hold off on reading both Little Busters and Rewrite right now. Both are getting English re-releases with additional content. I don't know when exactly, but for rewrite they will probably want to at least release it while the anime is airing.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Goddamnit visual novels why are you killing my wallet.

Also, Root Double is really rather disappointing and just a tad lazy, since (major spoilers) Natsuhiko coming to terms with Yuuri being dead is such a big deal, so why the heck would they just say "Oh yeah, she was totally alive and that phantom was made by her, no need for you to have all that character growth. Oh, and that basement we'd been teasing at? Shock and horror, that's where the bad things started happening! Who'dve thunk it.

The first two routes are still fantastic, and the third fills in enough blanks but leaves enough to the imagination. The fourth is just lazy and explains literally everything in the most hamfisted way possible.

psy_wombats
Dec 1, 2009

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

The first two routes are still fantastic, and the third fills in enough blanks but leaves enough to the imagination. The fourth is just lazy and explains literally everything in the most hamfisted way possible.

Every VN has to have that one flawed route or scene that just spoils everything as a whole.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

I dunno I think 999 is pretty perfect

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

voltcatfish posted:

IMO the bad endings that aren't axe are just kind of there.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

"I'm Jack Frost, ho! Nice to meet ya, hee ho!"

voltcatfish posted:

Except that it has a habit of saying the same thing multiple times and generally being pretty pedantic when describing things.

No work of fiction is perfect.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
Is there anything in Zero Time Dilemma that is really going to win me over if I thought the first two Zero Escape games were decent at best? I feel like after Virtue's Last Reward there's nowhere interesting or surprising they could go with the story, but I'd like to be proven wrong. Also, how are the puzzles?

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

Rollersnake posted:

Is there anything in Zero Time Dilemma that is really going to win me over if I thought the first two Zero Escape games were decent at best? I feel like after Virtue's Last Reward there's nowhere interesting or surprising they could go with the story, but I'd like to be proven wrong. Also, how are the puzzles?

The puzzles are the easiest in the series I think. The only hard parts were pixel hunting and the puzzles themselves being occasionally poorly designed. Honestly, the puzzles were the worst part of ZTD I think. There was one puzzle room that was one of my favorites in the series though.

ZTD was my favorite in the series, but everyone has different opinions on it. Its pretty divisive.

MegaZeroX fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Jul 14, 2016

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Rollersnake posted:

Is there anything in Zero Time Dilemma that is really going to win me over if I thought the first two Zero Escape games were decent at best? I feel like after Virtue's Last Reward there's nowhere interesting or surprising they could go with the story, but I'd like to be proven wrong. How are the puzzles?

ZTD is good but if you didn't like VLR you won't like the third game either. The puzzles are fine, not really a huge digression from the previous games.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Junpei Hyde posted:

IMO the bad endings that aren't axe are just kind of there.

Submarine at least had a puzzle room unique to it, but yeah it kinda just... ended.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

dmboogie posted:

Submarine at least had a puzzle room unique to it, but yeah it kinda just... ended.

2 puzzle rooms technically. And the knife ending was even worse.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

I will state if you didn't like VLR you probably won't like the ~15-~18 hour conclusion to the story ZTD is.

Shark Tower
Dec 31, 2008

Rollersnake posted:

I'm in it more for the story and the 3rd one falls pretty flat in terms of that for me, though I can at least appreciate their experimenting with interesting ideas.

As was said, opinions on this one are pretty polarizing. You might like it. You might hate it.

Yakiniku Teishoku
Mar 16, 2011

Peace On Egg

Rollersnake posted:

It might surprise you but not necessarily in an interesting way

I liked it pretty well but VLR is still my favorite so if you didn't love VLR you'll probably also think this one is ehh

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

Muv-Luv is released, and they are doing a giveaway thing with various actions giving you entries. So because of this, despite the fact that it only released like 2 hours ago, it already has 68 reviews, and they are all positive.

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

MegaZeroX posted:

Muv-Luv is released, and they are doing a giveaway thing with various actions giving you entries. So because of this, despite the fact that it only released like 2 hours ago, it already has 68 reviews, and they are all positive.

to be fair since it was a rerelease of an already complete, kickstarted game there was probably already a significant base of people waiting for the release day

not that that doesnt make it dull as hell

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I compared some of the new translation to the original translation and it's a lot better. A lot of the lines just feel a bit snappier and funnier, and the sheer number of bigger changes honestly surprised me.

They had a whole bunch of people involved in reworking the translation it seems, and they even had the translator of the Grisaia series look over everything, according to their kickstarter updates.

I don't expect Extra to be especially good now or anything, but maybe now it can actually provide a few laughs on the way to the meat of the series.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Jul 15, 2016

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
I played Extra and Unlimited and hadn't gotten around to Alternative yet because I was kinda burned out on the first two, maybe I should just wait until the new official translation comes out of it to play it

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I don't like how there are no settings to make the text not display instantly, I've always preferred having it scrolls across the screen at whatever comfortable pace especially with auto-read turned on. It also took me a long while to figure out the keyboard shortcuts, they seemed to switch them up from what they used to be, though I could just be misremembering (also I still don't know where quickload is).

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."
The House in Fata Morgana apparently didn't get much love in this thread. Just like Michel.

Haven't read a VN that reeled me in so much since all those years ago when I read Umineko.

Alipes
Sep 6, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Blattdorf posted:

The House in Fata Morgana apparently didn't get much love in this thread. Just like Michel.

Haven't read a VN that reeled me in so much since all those years ago when I read Umineko.

Definitely agree! I haven't quite finished it yet, but it's been captivating to read so far. Seriously sad and terrifying in parts. I'd say that anyone who is a fan of Umineko would enjoy it.

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

This one's for you, Morph.
-Evo 2013
Yeah, it's so good. It kind of feels like how Umineko might have ended up if Ryukishi's friend hadn't died.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

chaos head's really loving boring

it's also quite vulgar

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!

voltcatfish posted:

chaos head's really loving boring

it's also quite vulgar

I think Steins;Gate was accidentally good.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
is house in fata morgana like umineko in that it's a great mystery along with being a... um... you know, an umineko, or is it just an umineko

i'm blanking hard on what i mean here

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

alcharagia posted:

is house in fata morgana like umineko in that it's a great mystery along with being a... um... you know, an umineko, or is it just an umineko

it has a similar approach to magic at the very least

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"Meow."

alcharagia posted:

I'm not sure why anyone's comparing it to Umineko since they're nothing alike. Well, okay, so there's a "witch". That's it.

Both VNs are good.

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

-Evo 2013
The overall product is very different, but for the smaller pieces there are quite a few parallels... (spoilers for both VNs obviously( Losing one's identity and having to reclaim it by experiencing shards of memories, a "clean" story presented to the reader as a cover-up of an uglier reality, intersexuality and resulting alienation with self and family, being taunted by a witch who is linked to a specific location and specific people by an old grudge, the witch attempting to inflict an infinite cycle of suffering upon those people, resolving the situation by dredging up the witch's history and "tearing out the guts", and (more subjectively) various flavors of "without love it cannot be seen".

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"Meow."

Redmark posted:

The overall product is very different, but for the smaller pieces there are quite a few parallels... (spoilers for both VNs obviously( Losing one's identity and having to reclaim it by experiencing shards of memories, a "clean" story presented to the reader as a cover-up of an uglier reality, intersexuality and resulting alienation with self and family, being taunted by a witch who is linked to a specific location and specific people by an old grudge, the witch attempting to inflict an infinite cycle of suffering upon those people, resolving the situation by dredging up the witch's history and "tearing out the guts", and (more subjectively) various flavors of "without love it cannot be seen".

I'll give you that. The tone and the way the pieces come together are very different. I just didn't want people to equate Umineko with Fata Morgana, thinking they are basically the same.

Umineko is good, don't get me wrong.

I just want Fata Morgana to do better than it has done so far, since it's one of the few VNs that really do the format justice and also has the aesthetic and tone that would be appealing to people averse to the usual Japanese offerings.

There's way too few VNs that are just that - stories with pictures and sound. Without any of the flimsy justifications for T&A. Or stories that do not somehow revolve around school life jesus christ stop with the schools dammit. Okay this last one is more of a nag than a problem.

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

-Evo 2013
Yeah when I bought Fata Morgana I wasn't actually sure if it was Japanese or not. Definitely a very different aesthetic.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Hey I'm really sorry about asking a question in this thread but I can't find the Zero Escape / ZTD thread anywhere -

....did I gently caress up my game? I haven't explored all the open fragments or made all of the choices but now I'm stuck in a fragment called the Door of Truth. After the puzzle room is finished, there's a decision game with a door code, 8 digits long. I made my choice by backing out, since I didn't know the code, figuring this would unlock the rest of the game flow again, but it didn't. So, I go and try the other path, where I don't teleport, and it gives me the same game over as I got before.

So uh considering the first two games were kind of impossible to get the "true ending" without learning everything, and I certainly haven't figured out nearly everything yet, and this area seems pretty final....what gives? Should I be able to find the code? And if I do, is that it, or will it lock me out until later (like the coffin ending in 999)?. I'd appreciate it if someone could assuage my fears without any spoilers, if at all possible.

fake edit: also, similar question for the J-03-05 note in the study? Should I be able to figure that out? Q-10-12 didn't work, and I was able to solve the room without it, but...I feel like that was important somehow.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
go back to the path where you did teleport, not door of truth, and there should be something new.

also it's fine.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Ryoshi posted:

Hey I'm really sorry about asking a question in this thread but I can't find the Zero Escape / ZTD thread anywhere -

ZTD thread is here. Failing the code and doing the other path should unlock the flowchart again, but I have seen one person report the same issue as you. One possibility: I think you need to actually fail the code; navigating away isn't sufficient. Guess a few times until you get a scene.

The study thing isn't important.

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!

NRVNQSR posted:

I think you need to actually fail the code; navigating away isn't sufficient. Guess a few times until you get a scene.

I failed many times brute forcing the 3rd and 4th digits and it never sent me back to the flowchart.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Not Operator posted:

I think Steins;Gate was accidentally good.

You say that, but, by all accounts, S;G 0's pretty good too.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
i played steins;gate and stopped playing after the lukako ending and i don't regret a thing

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

I enjoyed Chaos Head. I thought the main character was a very interesting individual and thought the delusions were a great gameplay mechanic. Robotics Notes was dull though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!

CottonWolf posted:

You say that, but, by all accounts, S;G 0's pretty good too.

I don't know if I want more Steins;Gate. I've kinda hit a point in my life where if something has a satisfying ending, I'm disinclined to follow up on it.

Never did a second/bad run on Undertale, and I can't bring myself to play the Witcher 3 DLC despite it being my favourite game of last year. Steins;Gate ended fantastically, so ehhh pre/sequels.

I actually just got the Vita version for £10 though so maybe I'll feel different after I replay it.