Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.
Gen I was a mess but I'm curious how far they were in development when they decided to make a sequel afterward. Because sometimes it feels like the game was made from the ground up expecting a second entry to add more things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

notoriousman
Nov 18, 2007

I'M AWARE I'M
AN IDIOT
I have a soft spot for Twinneedle since it could poison steel types in Gen 2 due to an oversight. Also I'd always raise a Beedrill in Gen 1 to curbstomp Sabrina's gym.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Theta Zero posted:

Gen I was a mess but I'm curious how far they were in development when they decided to make a sequel afterward. Because sometimes it feels like the game was made from the ground up expecting a second entry to add more things.

Gen 1 and gen 2 both had very long development cycles. It's probable that many features introduced in gen 2 had been designed during gen 1's development, but not implemented due to technical or budgetary limitations. It's known that programming assistance from Satoru Iwata was necessary to get a lot of what was intended for gen 2 to fit on a cartridge and get the game out the door (late though it was).

It might be useful to think of gen 1 as a proof of concept and gen 2 as a prototype for the game, which would reach version 1.0 only with generation 3.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

If I have time before Sun/Moon (which is unlikely, I admit) I want to play through one of the Gen V games. Any strong reason I should do B/W over B2/W2 or vice-versa?

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

MockingQuantum posted:

If I have time before Sun/Moon (which is unlikely, I admit) I want to play through one of the Gen V games. Any strong reason I should do B/W over B2/W2 or vice-versa?

bw2 is an explicit sequel to bw and they actually tried to make a decent story for once with those so that's worth keeping in mind

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

MockingQuantum posted:

B/W has only 5th gen Pokemon until the end-game. The gym leaders are all really interesting and even your two friends are pretty cool.

The sequels start you off in a new town and adds new gyms, so you explore the region differently. The friends from the first game have grown up a bit and one is now a gym leader. You also have access to older Pokemon from pretty early in the game.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Nessa posted:

B/W has only 5th gen Pokemon until the end-game. The gym leaders are all really interesting and even your two friends are pretty cool.

The sequels start you off in a new town and adds new gyms, so you explore the region differently. The friends from the first game have grown up a bit and one is now a gym leader. You also have access to older Pokemon from pretty early in the game.

Hmm I'd definitely do one of the first two then. I heard there's a bunch more exclusive Pokemon to White because of some forest or something; is it really that big of a difference? Given that I've bee playing Gen VI games I have a Pokemon Bank full of early gen pokes.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

I'm playing through Yellow (VC port) again for the first time since like the 6th grade and I completely forgot you had to manually fuckin' change the PC storage box number. Maybe I'm just a spoiled brat but Gen 1 is borderline unplayably bad in the quality-of-life department compared to almost any of the sequels.

Seems as though my brain held on (and probably always will) to all of the music though--I can hum along to every song on every route

Benach
Aug 15, 2013

MockingQuantum posted:

Hmm I'd definitely do one of the first two then. I heard there's a bunch more exclusive Pokemon to White because of some forest or something; is it really that big of a difference? Given that I've bee playing Gen VI games I have a Pokemon Bank full of early gen pokes.

The White Forest (and the Black equivalent, Black City) really only come into play if you are communicating between the two versions, inviting NPCs and new stuff to the other version of the game. Otherwise, you're not going to get much out of it. You're better off just looking at the list of exclusive pokes and picking whichever list is cooler, or comparing with your bank and picking the one that fills the most holes.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Yeah, a lot of that connection stuff is either completely inert (the Dream World, the Wi-Fi related stuff, Unity Tower and Liberty Island), or only usable between two players, or two DS's, using infrared ports so it can't be done online. You don't really get anything from doing the Entree stuff and it's a shame you can't really rank up Join Avenue like you could.

And don't get me started on that loving awful Key system in B2W2...

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

White Forest/Black City are filled by going into other people's games, walking around the cities and talking to the NPCs you find there. However, if you finish the game fast enough, you'll find it's already populated with a few people, who unlock things like pokemon that you can find in the area. If you don't talk to the people in your forest/city, eventually they get bored and gently caress off so everyone's population tends towards 0 over time.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Ishkabibble. Thanks to Pokemon Go, I decided "hey, why don't I buy a Game Boy Advanced and a copy of FireRed or LeafGreen? They are old as hell, they can't be too expensive."

It's cheap to buy a GBA.

It's not cheap to get a copy of the game.

:negative:

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Emulate it, I promise I won't tell anyone.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Theta Zero posted:

Never quite get people who overtly romanticize that Gen. I mean I've played every single game since red and blue. I was there dude, in a lot ways it wasn't that great save making the precedent. Once you beat the elite 4 and catch Mewtwo there is literally nothing to do.

Flopsy fucked around with this message at 08:36 on Jul 17, 2016

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING

MisterBibs posted:

Ishkabibble. Thanks to Pokemon Go, I decided "hey, why don't I buy a Game Boy Advanced and a copy of FireRed or LeafGreen? They are old as hell, they can't be too expensive."

It's cheap to buy a GBA.

for years and years I was hunting for a cheap copy of Sapphire, and now I'm seeing copies sold for 5-10$ more than when I was looking for them. I think a lot of people just hold onto their old Pokemon games forever, like me.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Spatula City posted:

for years and years I was hunting for a cheap copy of Sapphire, and now I'm seeing copies sold for 5-10$ more than when I was looking for them. I think a lot of people just hold onto their old Pokemon games forever, like me.

Ayyyy! :hfive: Still have a gameboy color too. Don't know if it works though....

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Countblanc posted:

Emulate it, I promise I won't tell anyone.

misterbibs steals?!

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

MisterBibs posted:

It's cheap to buy a GBA.

I bought mine online and both of them turned out to be pirated. Decent quality, they work fine, just the label's very slightly wrong, but when I tried to migrate to gen 4, the gen 4 game wiped my save. Then it got wiped again a bit later when I was trading and the cable came loose.

shove me like you do
Dec 9, 2007

Real Neato

Fun Shoe
Best part of gen 1 is x accuracy making all moves always hit, including ohko moves :getin:

Gotta say though gen wise gen 5 was one of my favorite gens but drat if hg/ss isn't far and away my favorite actual games. The nostalgia mixed with all pokes following you was the best imo. That's really the only game thing I'm miffed was cut out of later gens. (Although I get a dev not wanting to throw in some 600 overworld sprites)

Captain_Person
Apr 7, 2013

WHAT CAN THE HARVEST HOPE FOR, IF NOT FOR THE CARE OF THE REAPER MAN?
Quick question - I'm planning on replaying the series ahead of Sun/Moon, but I'm also getting a new 3DS XL console later in the year. If I grab RBY from the Virtual Console on my current 2DS, will I be able to transfer that across to the new console?

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Captain_Person posted:

Quick question - I'm planning on replaying the series ahead of Sun/Moon, but I'm also getting a new 3DS XL console later in the year. If I grab RBY from the Virtual Console on my current 2DS, will I be able to transfer that across to the new console?

Yes. There's a system transfer process. It takes a long time, but it's not hard. It will move all the content from the source system to the target system (overwriting anything that's there) and erase the source. The target system will even have the same friend code. It'll be like you had been using the new one all along.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Flopsy posted:

Ayyyy! :hfive: Still have a gameboy color too. Don't know if it works though....

The battery is likely dead

Iymarra
Oct 4, 2010

Survived AGDQ 2018 Awful Games block!
Grimey Drawer
Since I'm a bit of a collector but unable to do so, anyone know of good places to purchase extra event pokemon / limited run ones that aren't outright scams?
Like, the current 'download R/B/S on virtual console to get a mew code' or the level 10 celebi that was given out in 2014 for making a pokemon bank thing, etc.

Basically, I'm trying to acquire low level event / limited distribution pokemon. That, and a few custom orders (like a shiny noibat, shiny ponyta, etc)

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Easiest way to do it in the current generation is buying Powersaves for your physical game cartridges, unless you have a way to modify your Gen 6 game data using the various hax's that have been floating around the past year or two.

There's even a section in Powersaves that lists all the event Pokemon over the past three years and spoofs it via Mystery Gift, though the Pokebank Celebi isn't on there, I believe. But the event Celebi from earlier in the year is.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

I remember getting my Pokébank Celebi... That thing ended up with 31 IVs in HP, attack, special defense but 0 IVs in special attack and speed, the remaining stat was low and a Rash nature on top of it. Basically a terrible roll that I couldn't even reset for.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Salandit is so good

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

Bongo Bill posted:

Gen 1 and gen 2 both had very long development cycles. It's probable that many features introduced in gen 2 had been designed during gen 1's development, but not implemented due to technical or budgetary limitations. It's known that programming assistance from Satoru Iwata was necessary to get a lot of what was intended for gen 2 to fit on a cartridge and get the game out the door (late though it was).

It might be useful to think of gen 1 as a proof of concept and gen 2 as a prototype for the game, which would reach version 1.0 only with generation 3.

In game text points to eggs being a concept for Gen 1 and Sweet Honey (from DPPt) being available in Gen 2.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
but holy poo poo mimikkyu is even better

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Bongo Bill posted:

Nice summary. Gen 3 was where the game really became functional, Gen IV was where it became "modern" and every generation after that was refining it.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
who should I have in a mono-ghost team?

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

Tired Moritz posted:

Gengar, of course. Then Trevenant, Chandelure, Drifblim, Cofagrigus, and one of the Rotom forms.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Tired Moritz posted:

Gengar
Trevenant
M-Sableye
Aegislash
Chandelure
Froslass

Honestly, outside of Gengar/Sableye/Aegislash most ghosts aren't that great. Especially since the Rotom-formes are now Electric/whatever instead of keeping the Electric/Ghost typing.

Hoopa and Giratina are options if you want legenaries.

If you want a fun team of cool dudes to use

Sableye
Aegislash
Cofagrigus
Chandelure
Shedinja
Golurk

Zore fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Jul 17, 2016

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
ghosts are the coolest

also apparently, aegislash is now Uber. :(

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Tired Moritz posted:

It's been Uber for 2 years now

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Tired Moritz posted:

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

Seriously speaking for a moment, a skyscraper-sized pollution ghost that tells jokes should legitimately be a Pokemon.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

WHAT IS THIS THING

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

Macaluso posted:

WHAT IS THIS THING

It's from the Pokestar stuff where you make movies in Black/White 2. If I remember correctly, it's just a giant ghost called "Majin" and you fight it by making it laugh. There's some whacky sprites from there that look like legitimate Pokemon.

Theta Zero fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Jul 17, 2016

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

ah dang you beat me to the giant pair of legs but you didn't get Mecha Tyranitar

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

All the best octopodes shoot fire and ice.

Tired Moritz posted:

ghosts are the coolest

Stance Change was too much of a guessing game for Smogon.

• Locked thread