Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
has anyone played those pokemon modded games? I'm in a mood to play pokemon black and white again, and was wondering if anyone played them too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

THINKS CON-AIR WAS A GOOD MOVIE

PSWII60 posted:

Stance Change was too much of a guessing game for Smogon.

To be totally fair to Smogon (because otherwise gently caress them), it wasn't a guessing game. It was that he essentially had 150 attack, defense, special attack, and special defense because he was so goddamn slow and King's Shield was Protect with a 2 stage attack drop if you made contact.

It was basically Uber already. Not like Greninja where it was made Uber because "It has more than 2 viable sets so we can't just flip a coin and be safe"

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Classtoise posted:

Not like Greninja where it was made Uber because "It has more than 2 viable sets so we can't just flip a coin and be safe"

lol if you don't think greninja 100% had that coming after it got gunk shot

thing checked solely by fairies and chansey gets way to destroy fairies and chansey

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

Ruggington posted:

lol if you don't think greninja 100% had that coming after it got gunk shot

thing checked solely by fairies and chansey gets way to destroy fairies and chansey

Solely my rear end.

And they acted like Greninja suddenly had 10 move slots and thus could counter literally everything.

And besides the big issue is no one in charge at Smogon has any idea if they want Ubers to be the containment tier for poo poo too strong to exist in the format without overcentralizing (Mega Gengar guaranteeing two kills) or if it's just where they put the stuff they'd rather not deal with predicting but have no place amongst those absurd stat totals (Greninja).

Like if they said "Ubers is where we put Pokemon simply too strong for OU" and just made Ubers BL ("This is pokemon who are too good for OU, but will get devoured in Ubers") like they have with BL for UU/OU, that'd be fine but they want it both ways.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Classtoise posted:

Solely my rear end.

And they acted like Greninja suddenly had 10 move slots and thus could counter literally everything.

It only needed 4 if you were willing to forgo a water attack (who's gonna switch a water weak pokemon into it first?).

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN

Classtoise posted:

Solely my rear end.

And besides the big issue is no one in charge at Smogon has any idea if they want Ubers to be the containment tier for poo poo too strong to exist in the format without overcentralizing (Mega Gengar guaranteeing two kills) or if it's just where they put the stuff they'd rather not deal with predicting but have no place amongst those absurd stat totals (Greninja).

Like if they said "Ubers is where we put Pokemon simply too strong for OU" and just made Ubers BL ("This is pokemon who are too good for OU, but will get devoured in Ubers") like they have with BL for UU/OU, that'd be fine but they want it both ways.

there is no functional difference between having just Ubers compared to having Ubers + Ubers BL

greninja was ludicrously broken and had no place in OU following the move tutors

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
In in-game 3v3 I ate Aegislash alive with choice band Garchomp, ergo Smogon is full of babies

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Classtoise posted:

Solely my rear end.

i miss when greninja was in ou and I could brainlessly use it with healing wish mega lopunny and healing wish latias

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Ruggington posted:

i miss when greninja was in ou and I could brainlessly use it with healing wish mega lopunny and healing wish latias

I can't believe you'd kill Latias in the name of Greninja.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

time to 2hko the entire tier with two different pokemon and heal them up for free

Alxprit posted:

she knew what she signed up for

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

Alxprit posted:

I'd sacrifice Latias for nothing I hate those two :colbert:

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Classtoise posted:

have no place amongst those absurd stat totals (Greninja).

Greninja is consistently in the top 10 of most used mons in Ubers

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

less laughter posted:

Greninja is consistently in the top 10 of most used mons in Ubers

greninja is not viable in ubers however

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

tbp posted:

greninja is not viable in ubers however

"Suicide lead" does not equate to being good.

That kind of tells me "It's gonna explode the second something attacks it but hey maybe you'll get a lucky switch and get both layers of toxic spikes"

Like literally the word "suicide" means almost the opposite of viable.

Suicide does not mean good things!!

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

Classtoise posted:

"Suicide lead" does not equate to being good.

That kind of tells me "It's gonna explode the second something attacks it but hey maybe you'll get a lucky switch and get both layers of toxic spikes"

Like literally the word "suicide" means almost the opposite of viable.

Suicide does not mean good things!!

suicide leads are fine however greninja's role is usually done better by deoxys speed (access to screens + SR). the ability to set toxic spikes is not a huge boon in ubers, as immediate damage is more useful (spikes vs tspikes) due to the shaky checks and counters system available in ubers. additionally most of the bulkier 1-turn recovery mons youd like to psn (lugia, fat hooh, yveltal) are tspike immune,

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Tired Moritz posted:

has anyone played those pokemon modded games? I'm in a mood to play pokemon black and white again, and was wondering if anyone played them too.

The 'catch them all in one game' hacks inflate the difficulty to real unfun levels

they claim that it averages out fine since you have more pokemon variety but early game you still have early moves while roxies similarily levelled koffing has dark pulse and sludge bomb and incinerate

you basically have to grind too much to keep up with what it throws at you

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

tbp posted:

suicide leads are fine however greninja's role is usually done better by deoxys speed (access to screens + SR). the ability to set toxic spikes is not a huge boon in ubers, as immediate damage is more useful (spikes vs tspikes) due to the shaky checks and counters system available in ubers. additionally most of the bulkier 1-turn recovery mons youd like to psn (lugia, fat hooh, yveltal) are tspike immune,

the reason to use greninja is that it can spin block

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

Ruggington posted:

the reason to use greninja is that it can spin block

well yes thats not an awful reason but then you look at the spinners in ubers and uhhh you have excadrill? on those teams that use ttar as a halfass hooh + lati check i guess. re: removal you're way more worried about mence and stuff but more to the point you'd want to stop hazards on your side of the field first and foremost

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

ultimate point being greninjas kinda rear end in ubers

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

it is kinda rear end

better than it being in ou though

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
what the hell is the point of the water shuriken? it seems like it's only cool when sakurai says its cool

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

3/4 of the pokemon in Ubers are terrible in Ubers. The power creep in gen 6 was absolutely massive with stuff like the Primals, Xerneas, Mega Gengar, etc.

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

It's time to split ubers into their own usage tiers.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

i didn't mind the primals but i won't miss them in vgc17. hopefully we'll get a hawaii pentagon rule

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

You see the most shocking sights sometimes

Theta Zero posted:

It's from the Pokestar stuff where you make movies in Black/White 2. If I remember correctly, it's just a giant ghost called "Majin" and you fight it by making it laugh. There's some whacky sprites from there that look like legitimate Pokemon.

PokeStar Studios was fun. I feel it was the best side activity they've done in these games.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

Ruggington posted:

it is kinda rear end

better than it being in ou though

yeah it was far too good in OU following gunk / lowkick

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

If it's not a legendary Pokemon it shouldn't be banned imo, no matter how good or broken it is. It's not a hard line to draw. The game is fundamentally broken.

Hardcordion
Feb 5, 2008

BARK BARK BARK
Would someone happen to have a spare Kabuto to trade for my Anorith? I'm not picky about egg moves, IVs or natures, I just want a cool bug that can learn surf and dive.

Friend code is 1590-4780-5660, name is Christo

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

mabels big day posted:

If it's not a legendary Pokemon it shouldn't be banned imo, no matter how good or broken it is. It's not a hard line to draw. The game is fundamentally broken.

Trying to define as large as possible a subset of Pokemon that isn't broken is, I think, worthwhile, and I'd be curious to hear of attempts other than Smogon's.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Bongo Bill posted:

Trying to define as large as possible a subset of Pokemon that isn't broken is, I think, worthwhile, and I'd be curious to hear of attempts other than Smogon's.

In my opinion, ideally online simulators should try to be accurate to what you can reasonably have within the game, and should exist just for convenience's sake, not for the sake of trying to "fix" the game. Regular Pokemon should never be banned. Legendary Pokemon are usually clearly designed to be much more powerful than the rest, and are usually even banned within the battle facilities in game. The only thing that should be difficult to define is the line between acceptable legendaries and nonacceptable ones.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

oddium posted:

i didn't mind the primals but i won't miss them in vgc17. hopefully we'll get a hawaii pentagon rule

We're getting Primal Regigigas in Alola though

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

less laughter posted:

Can't wait for Shining Diamond and Dull Pearl

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Here's a Mew: A6Z5UTXGWGQ5GREM

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

mabels big day posted:

In my opinion, ideally online simulators should try to be accurate to what you can reasonably have within the game, and should exist just for convenience's sake, not for the sake of trying to "fix" the game. Regular Pokemon should never be banned. Legendary Pokemon are usually clearly designed to be much more powerful than the rest, and are usually even banned within the battle facilities in game. The only thing that should be difficult to define is the line between acceptable legendaries and nonacceptable ones.

why did you allow primals in vgc

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Haifisch posted:

The level curve is garbage, so don't stress too much about grinding. Expect to see mons in the high teens to mid 20s even when you're far enough that a team of 6 would be above level 30. Kanto is even worse, somehow.

Level curve is so hosed, I went from fighting low 20s to a 30/35 Gym leader out of nowhere. Had to stop and grind to not get wrecked.

notoriousman
Nov 18, 2007

I'M AWARE I'M
AN IDIOT

Christo posted:

Would someone happen to have a spare Kabuto to trade for my Anorith? I'm not picky about egg moves, IVs or natures, I just want a cool bug that can learn surf and dive.

Friend code is 1590-4780-5660, name is Christo
I'm hatching Kabutos at the moment to get a female with its HA, so I can part with one of the offspring. Add me: 0834-4483-9578, name is noto.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Ruggington posted:

why did you allow primals in vgc

Wasn't my call. I don't want to touch doubles.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

The doubles department guys have completely lost their minds.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
the best part of gold/silver is that space around the 8th gym where everyone jumps up by 10 levels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

less laughter posted:

is this fanart or did a pokemon episode really reference terminator 2

• Locked thread