Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man

widespread posted:

I almost had a CP 246 Drowzee earlier today. One ball in, fucker breaks out and bails. I was pissed as all hell because it's a loving Drowzee man come on.

My yard is absolutely infested with Drowzees, I think I've caught like 20 in the past day.

I'm doing this game wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004

BrianBoitano posted:

1) They do. I spent my first 2 days in my neighborhood catching Pidgey and Rattata. I just caught a Snorlax at level 22. It Gets Better™
(it's still 75% Pidgey and Rattata and Eevee though)

This is so not true. I've been in groups with different levels and everyone gets the same spawns. Higher levels can get them with higher starting CP though.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

BrianBoitano posted:

2) Please post your real name, city you live in, and places you like to hang out. Some people are actually comfortable doing this. Now find out your 12yo daughter is doing the same thing. It's not worth losing your poo poo over but still could be a problem.

Also imagine if a short tempered person noticed that RealName just kicked his rear end and took over his gym.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
"lol we don't need to buy more servers lol" - my impression of niantic

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Haven't played this for the last two days because the server stability issues (and the bugs) are just not worth dealing with, and the longer I go without playing a game the less chance there is of me returning at all. Hopefully they get on top of their poo poo and sort it out because I can see a lot of people quitting in the meantime.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Modus Pwnens posted:

This is so not true. I've been in groups with different levels and everyone gets the same spawns. Higher levels can get them with higher starting CP though.

The system that matches the experiences of most people I've talked to is that both explanations are true.

Higher player level = rarer pokes spawn more frequently
If you're near a high player level player who spawns a rare = you can get it too

This is why hunting together is a good thing. It's just a theory, though, and fan strategy/theories are part of the pokemon magic for me :P

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time

Escobarbarian posted:

"lol we don't need to buy more servers lol" - my impression of niantic

It's probably an issue of scaling. Things tend to have a point they can scale to where adding more hardware doesn't help. Scaling has to be solved through architecture and software changes which is not something paying for more cloud machines helps with.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

BrianBoitano posted:

1) They do. I spent my first 2 days in my neighborhood catching Pidgey and Rattata. I just caught a Snorlax at level 22. It Gets Better™
(it's still 75% Pidgey and Rattata and Eevee though)

2) Please post your real name, city you live in, and places you like to hang out. Some people are actually comfortable doing this. Now find out your 12yo daughter is doing the same thing. It's not worth losing your poo poo over but still could be a problem.

Fair, I didn't think of the kids. I wouldn't let them do it. I'm not saying I'm a badass or anything, but I don't imagine I'll be in any trouble over Pokemon. I'm not good enough for that. I'll just make sure to buy a taser when the event Pokes come out.

Super jealous of the people who catch Pokemon from home. The only capture I have from my house was the starter. It was a little heartbreaking to discover that the game actively discourages holding on to old mons. Like your starter is immediately worthless. So is everything else you catch at those lower levels. I thought the CP scale was super low when I first started. Like having a CP 52 Pokemon was really good. Lol.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Every time America wakes up the servers in the UK go to poo poo haha

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I have caught 59 Pokemon so far today, holy poo poo.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

SonicRulez posted:

Super jealous of the people who catch Pokemon from home.

Same, I'm just outside the radius of a cluster of spawn points and landmarks. Like if I go outside and walk 30 feet in that direction, blammo. Pokemons rain from the sky.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Why did I just waste 20 balls trying to catch a lovely pigeotto when I already have better and also have a lack of pokeballs due to where I live :(

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Totally TWISTED posted:

Why did I just waste 20 balls trying to catch a lovely pigeotto when I already have better and also have a lack of pokeballs due to where I live :(

Because gotta catch'em all

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

You wait for the war to happen like vultures.
If you want to help, prevent the war.
Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.
There's a local cemetery nearby that has 20+ pokestops and several gyms. They've been pretty cool so far, and there are signs at every entrance asking people to be respectful and leave by dusk. I can only hope that people actually follow those simple rules, but nerds have a poor history of being able to identify what "respectful" means. There's also a spot in there that I've dubbed The Glory Hole. 3 pokestops, almost permanently lured, next to a lake. Just grinding out those Magikarps all drat day.

Part of me wants to actually go out to another area and wander around exploring, but the broken distance is just too drat annoying.

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler
Airport update numero dos: just caught a zubat at O'Hare. :slick:

Woot

Dixville fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Jul 17, 2016

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Totally TWISTED posted:

Hatched this from a 5KM egg (I think) about 20 minutes ago :smug:

fake edit: Didn't mean to cut the CP off, was trying to show the attacks as well, CP234 and I'm Level 11.

You loving benisface.

For what it's worth, any one of my many 5km eggs probably have a Drowzee in them.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Just posting to say that the thread title continues to crack me up.

Gonna have to make a few trips across town today, so I'll probably stop at the pokestop 2-6 times. Stock up so I can go for a walk later this week.

Touchdown Boy
Apr 1, 2007

I saw my friend there out on the field today, I asked him where he's going, he said "All the way."

Escobarbarian posted:

Just say, seperate us already.

Chiming in to say Im level 12 now and I am getting better pokemon at my location, but its rare. Its still mostly weedles.

eeS.
Nov 8, 2005

STUPID AS HELL!!

Escobarbarian posted:

Yeah, the game was at least playable last week here in the UK, but the past two days have been utter dog poo poo :argh:

Touchdown Boy
Apr 1, 2007

I saw my friend there out on the field today, I asked him where he's going, he said "All the way."
Chances are during the week it will be more manageable, but yeah I cant really blame them for making a game that is more popular than they thought. I just hope they can get it all ironed out sooner rather than later.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

So my bag is full, should I drop some pokeballs to keep spinning for some rare drops or is it all balls and potions anyway?

Touchdown Boy posted:

Chances are during the week it will be more manageable, but yeah I cant really blame them for making a game that is more popular than they thought. I just hope they can get it all ironed out sooner rather than later.

They could be holding out for this to tide over, can't imagine all the folks who just got this at random will keep playing regularly.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Avalerion posted:

So my bag is full, should I drop some pokeballs to keep spinning for some rare drops or is it all balls and potions anyway?

you only need like twenty revives. also if you have super/hyper potions, just get rid of your regular ones

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

SynthOrange posted:

Motherfuuuuu I used an incense and all I got were zubats and rattatas goddammit.

This should be the thread title.

e: this game is loving insane, yesterday I went walking downtown to hatch some eggs and literally saw 50+ people walking around in pairs chatting about pokemans. I even talked to some of them! :shobon:

Moose-Alini
Sep 11, 2001

Not always so

BrianBoitano posted:

Right, but each spot has its own pool of pokes it cycles through, even if they're mostly pidgey, right?

They either all behave that way or they made a smattering of them work that way, since there are a couple of very obvious spawns in town (Pikachu in one particular spot by Lake Ella, Poliwag at one end of a bridge at Cascades Park, for example). If some of them are purely random, then yeah, no Snorlax in the future for me.

I got a snorlax at lake Ella on Friday eve. Yeah there is difference between the usual spawns in different parts of town, but iv seen some real rare ones pop up then never again there. Tom Brown has some pretty different stuff than seen elsewhere too.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
Would be cool if you could just setup your own gym at a certain level or something, I want my neighbors to challenge me.

Avalerion posted:

They could be holding out for this to tide over, can't imagine all the folks who just got this at random will keep playing regularly.

It seems like their main focus is to just push the thing into as many countries as possible so they can cash in during the hype rather than fix bugs.

Touchdown Boy
Apr 1, 2007

Moose-Alini posted:

I got a snorlax at lake Ella on Friday eve. Yeah there is difference between the usual spawns in different parts of town, but iv seen some real rare ones pop up then never again there. Tom Brown has some pretty different stuff than seen elsewhere too.

Yeha, maybe if you got all the badges (or some percentage) you get to place a gym. That would be cool.Might be open to abuse if people start using mulyiple accounts etc to get more coins...

And the servers were up briefly there, I got on and got a squirtle before it dropped 5 mins later. Im guessing they are massively overloaded. I have a lucky egg and many weedles to evolve but there is no way thats happening tonight.

creatine
Jan 27, 2012

Jesus Christ Boston

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
Man I feel sorry for all the rednecks I grew up with back home. They probably have to drive forever just to fine one spot.

I wish I had one just a little bit closer to my house. A mile isn't so bad but it'd be better if I had a sidewalk.

Budgie
Mar 9, 2007
Yeah, like the bird.
There are already UK based servers guys. https://www.reddit.com/r/PokemonGoUK/comments/4t5b8f/update_pokemongo_has_now_european_servers/

25ms from north of scotland, cant be USA servers.

Edit: I'm looking at that pokemapper site and someone has noted that Pidgey spawns near me. Thanks random person.

Budgie fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Jul 17, 2016

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

My game now refuses to connect once I'm on 4G. I don't think I can blame the game for this one. A quick search on Twitter reveals a shedload of other people complaining about pokemon data being blocked on O2's network in the UK. All other data is working fine and I'm nowhere close to hitting my limit.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Touchdown Boy posted:

Might be open to abuse if people start using mulyiple accounts etc to get more coins...

Coins are worth less than $0.10 apiece and the max you can get per day is 100 coins.

And despite that, I spent an hour and a half getting 70 coins last night, and others will definitely double box this game :negative:

Benthalus
Jul 5, 2002

widespread posted:

You loving benisface.

For what it's worth, any one of my many 5km eggs probably have a Drowzee in them.

I see another FFRK regular has found something to do while stamina is recharging.

You're going to hate me. I have a Drowzee spawn in my apartment building, and two stops that someone has been luring for days. I have caught over 100 Drowzee.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

The app at heavily uses the Google cloud the backend. Unless Google is seriously dropping the ball on their cloud services raw server power shouldn't be a problem.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time

BrianBoitano posted:

Coins are worth less than $0.10 apiece and the max you can get per day is 100 coins.

And despite that, I spent an hour and a half getting 70 coins last night, and others will definitely double box this game :negative:

$0.01/piece isn't it?

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug
I love when I kick the app on with my wifi up and something uncommon/rare peeks up on my radar, only to disappear the moment I step out of wifi and go to cellular. Thank god I don't lose those pidgeys though.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Shifty Pony posted:

The app at heavily uses the Google cloud the backend. Unless Google is seriously dropping the ball on their cloud services raw server power shouldn't be a problem.

I mean, I wouldn't be surprised if the "Google App Engine" wasn't designed to support traffic like this.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Shifty Pony posted:

Yeah they're almost certainly hitting bottlenecks that can't be resolved with ADD MOAR CORES

Unfortunately those issues take the longest to fix

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
I wonder if Niantic expected the game to be this popular. I expected it to be popular, sure, but this is a bit more than anyone could predict I think.

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

Zodack posted:

I wonder if Niantic expected the game to be this popular. I expected it to be popular, sure, but this is a bit more than anyone could predict I think.

Definitely. I feel bad for the rank-and-file people who work for Niantic, they've probably all worked like 100 hours each this week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joink
Jan 8, 2004

What if I told you cod is no longer a fish :coolfish:

This sure takes some of the guess work out of finding the pokemons around my house :aaaaa:

• Locked thread