Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Moneyball posted:

I know you're kidding, but that is uncalled for.

http://mountaindew.wikia.com/wiki/Dewshine

quote:

When Mountain Dew was first created and was intended to be a whisky mix, it was described as having a flavor similar to that of 7-Up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

pig slut lisa posted:

Is it even legal to ship alcohol to a foreign country workout a license?

In the USA it is indeed illegal to ship alcohol without a specific liquor license, often something like "sale for off premises consumption." From there you get into the state-to-state (and muni-to-muni, see "dry counties") laws which all vary. Some states have very sane laws, IL, CA, and NY come to mind. Others require them to be shipped to a local license holder who finalizes the transaction, others it is all run by the state, and some it is flat illegal. Utah is a funny example where it is state liquor and on paper you can have the state liquor store handle the transaction for you, come in, and pickup your hooch while paying the appropriate local taxes. In reality I don't believe it ever works. :911:

Dry counties are funny, because most of the Kentucky Bourbon production happens in dry counties/cities. They are however allowed to have tasting rooms which can give you 1/2 oz pours of up to 3 different spirits. It is tightly regulated, and if you go over it counts as a "bar" and you are risking losing your license. (BWM.)

However you the consumer, in a sane state, can import liquor from a place allowed to sell it no problem. Thankfully the United Kingdom is awfully lax about this. If you ever see a 700mL bottle with a weird black circular sticker of startlingly high quality on it it is likely the refund sticker for the UK VAT stamp which is under that black sticker then it's an EU market bottle which has been imported. 750mL is US domestic market, because it's a fifth of a gallon. Take that EU, we get a free 50mL!

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

Blinkman987 posted:

First potential BWM relationship experience!

The SO is going to buy the parents a house thousands of miles away that they'll then pay rent on. Or, at least I assume it's rent since they pitched it as an investment, but maybe they'll have equity. It just came up yesterday, so this is all relatively new.

Could be worse. The house is in a city with a growing tech industry but is still somewhat affordable. I immediately mentioned buying it in a decent, desirable area and the SO mentioned the right neighborhood where that would be possible. Dad is reliably employed and has a good job, but he really can't afford a house near where the sister and baby live. Mom will be helping the sister and new baby and 4-year-old. Sister's husband is very handy with repairs and is a stand-up dude, so he's in for the property maintenance and handiwork. SO works for [gigantic tech company] in a senior position and rebuffs other gigantic tech companies that try to recruit the SO every few months. Literally turns down offers from Google. So, the money isn't a huge pinch and if the SO lost a job, there would be another job within a week. It probably pushes out our potential to purchase a house by a year or two, but whatever. That's not necessarily a bad thing.

As far as things that seem like a disaster at face value, this might instead be a minor inconvenience with small upside.
They aren't going to pay rent.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
And as many SASS members know or discovered last christmas, shipping booze is a nightmare in the USA but easy as pie in the UK so it's easier and cheaper to just go on amazon.co.uk and drop-ship it.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Blinkman987 posted:

SO works for [gigantic tech company] in a senior position and rebuffs other gigantic tech companies that try to recruit the SO every few months. Literally turns down offers from Google. So, the money isn't a huge pinch and if the SO lost a job, there would be another job within a week.

The thing is, if there's an economic downturn that causes your SO to lose their job, it can suddenly be very difficult to find a job everywhere else because they're also laying people off.

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

This could have bought you a half a tank of gas, lmfao -
Love, gromdul

FateFree posted:

Haha I worked at Hertz HQ for 8 years, it sure is a thing! I laughed when my manager told me he interned for a year AFTER college.

PS I no longer work for Hertz because after the CEO got booted for cooking the books for 3 years, a new one came in and fired 80% of the IT staff. The rest were outsourced to IBM. Hertz is a terrible company.

drat. What is the attraction? What positions do these interns fill, and what valuable skills, connections, or whatever, are they gaining? Maybe I just have the wrong image in my head. I have the idea that working at a Hertz location in any capacity comes with a salary cap in the "not very good" range. I would assume there are some corporate jobs that pay OK, but is that where the interns wind up, or do the lucky ones wind up working 70-hour weeks on the lot for $42,000/year?

Switchback
Jul 23, 2001

Industrial disasters are pretty bad with money. Last year a tension-leg platform was being installed in the Gulf of Mexico. This set up is that you build really really long pipes ("tendons"), jam them in the sea floor, and stick the platform on top. Well they were almost done constructing all the tendons when the loop current picked up. There are buoys on the tendons that keep it floating and they all banged into each other in the strong current and sank.

quote:

The multibillion-dollar project suffered a setback earlier this year when nine of 16 mile-long steel tubes designed to anchor it in place sank along with their corresponding buoys, which hold the tendons until they can be attached. The project already had been postponed for months because of strong Gulf loop currents, which delayed the towing of the platform to the Walker Ridge area.

Chevron has confirmed that Big Foot returned to Kiewit Offshore Services' facility in Ingleside, where it can be seen off Aransas Pass, the Corpus Christi Caller-Times reported.

Billions of dollars wasted because the suits onshore decided to proceed rather than have another delay. The folks on the vessel knew it was a bad idea, they even made Chevron sign a liability waiver. Now they have this platform sitting back in Ingleside waiting until it can be installed, but they have to keep the generators and everything still running. The operating costs to have a platform "on" but non-operational must be a lot.

Here is another article about it. It's great-with-money for me, because now they're bringing out the offshore meteorologist.

Chevron blames McDermott for the mishap, of course, but everyone I am on the boat with says they knew they shouldn't have been working in the conditions and the call came from Chevron corporate.

Switchback fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Jul 16, 2016

FateFree
Nov 14, 2003

Centripetal Horse posted:

drat. What is the attraction? What positions do these interns fill, and what valuable skills, connections, or whatever, are they gaining? Maybe I just have the wrong image in my head. I have the idea that working at a Hertz location in any capacity comes with a salary cap in the "not very good" range. I would assume there are some corporate jobs that pay OK, but is that where the interns wind up, or do the lucky ones wind up working 70-hour weeks on the lot for $42,000/year?

My previous boss landed a corporate gig as a project manager, but you have to factor in the fact that he's one year of salary short of everyone else who just didn't intern. I knew one other guy but he was laid off in the outsourcing. The funny thing is right before our previous CEO got fired, he up and moved the entire headquarters from NJ to some random town in Florida (Estero?). He got 20% of the employees to relocate down there and got fired before the building was finished. Then about 4 months after it was finished, IT was outsourced. Before that happened, the work day was increased, spouse benefits were cut, holiday parties were cut, and work from home was cut. I can't stress enough that Hertz is a terrible company. But I think we live in a time where company loyalty is just no longer a thing, because they weren't even trying.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

A friend experiences the joys of family:

quote:

My mom quit her job because she's been working there for 5 years and hasn't gotten a raise and because she works for a university and the state's budget for schools is getting cut so she won't be getting a raise this year either.

This is a legitimate thing to be upset about.

However she has two pregnant daughters who live with her, no savings, and no new job lined up.

She told me last month she's going to the Democratic National Convention in Philadelphia, even though she doesn't have enough money for gas to get there and back, because she thinks Bernie is going to pull a coup with delegates and it's going to be "a turning point in history." As for the gas, she's just going to figure it out as she goes along. "It'll work out."

She still intends to go now that she's quit her job.

:eyepop:

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

gently caress, the "it'll work out" crowd just infuriate me because it often does but then there's that portion of the time they're completely hosed, and they never realize they're just gambling with their loving lives over completely frivolous stuff.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
I was watching HGTV (on the airplane, I don't pay for cable!) and saw a show featuring a couple trying to live abroad in Morocco. The wife was the budgeter, and the husband simply said "I believe in the money fairy."

MrKatharsis fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Jul 16, 2016

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

ohgodwhat posted:

gently caress, the "it'll work out" crowd just infuriate me because it often does but then there's that portion of the time they're completely hosed, and they never realize they're just gambling with their loving lives over completely frivolous stuff.

Same.

I had a co-worker who was a disaster. Three specific things I can think of:

The Monday or Tues when she was a couple hours late for a shift and no one knew where she was. A call from the manager and a wiring of some funds later, we found out she had gone a few hundred miles away for a concert on Friday or Saturday and been unable to get home because she didn't have money for gas.

The time she was telling me how hard it was to afford anything and I understood, because that's how I grew up. And then she got a large dog to live with her, her mother, and her two kids. That wasn't housebroken. In their apartment.

Then there was the pickup she bought for $500 that she drove with no license and no insurance that also had a broken shift linkage, so she crawled under it in order to shift it out of park. I have no idea how she put it into park but I assume it involved a parking brake because it certainly involved no wheel chocks. I know she never chocked the wheels because after a few weeks she got run over doing this, and missed a couple weeks of work.

Genuinely nice person, kind hearted without just being a pushover (at work at least), lovely circumstances with no really good choices, but still tragically stupid and I swear her daily life was a gamble.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Buying a house together before getting married? Check. Buying more house than they can comfortably afford? Check. Convoluted financial arrangements involving someone without their poo poo together? Check.

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/4t5p9y/need_help_asap_closing_on_house_on_wednesday_and/ posted:

Hello personal finance,

I have been reading this subreddit for over a year and there are some very smart people on here, so please help me!

My fiance and I are closing on a house - We put 20% down and the got a 30 year fixed at 331,000. Our monthly principal, interest, and insurance payments come out to 2100.00

Our monthly combined employment income after deductions for 401K, health insurance, taxes, and life insurance is 5300. Here is where it gets tricky. My fiance is supposed to get a certain amount per month in child support and a loan from her ex but it's not consistent.

As part of their divorce agreement, he agreed to pay her 500 monthly for child support, 550 dollars monthly for BMW she leased in her name that he drives, and 270 dollars monthly car insurance for that car he drives. Further, he agreed to pay her 1,000 dollars per month for a 30,000 dollar loan she gave him when they were separated. The loan is now down to 6,000.00 (I know she wasn't very smart for giving him the loan and leasing the car but we all make mistakes).

As part of the divorce agreement, he pays her for the car he drives that is in her name and the insurance for it as well. It is a BMW and a 3 year lease. He just got into an accident. Nothing serious, no injuries, but it's damaged. The lease ends next May. He promised to fix it before he returned it. We do not trust him.

Our monthly liabilities minus her ex husband's bmw car and insurance: Honda Lease payment - 250 Car Insurance for two cars - One owned and one leased - 150 Car maintenance reserve - 50 Gas for commuting - 100 Cell phone - 120 Internet - 50 Food - 200 Mortgage and Insurance - 2100 Gas and Electric - 150 after school care - 500

Her ex husband does not always come up with the money for his car payment. He is a good father and a good guy, but he does not have his poo poo together. Do we take him to court for the money he owes? Should we take over his bmw car and car payments? We don't want our home to be in jeopardy for something he does with the car. At the same time, she does not want to get into a fight with him over money because she is scared he will stop paying child support.

edit: I forgot to say that's our monthly employment income after taxes too
Further down the OP mentions that "Can we afford to live without his money? The short answer is yes. The long answer is not very well off. We would be just scraping by." What could possibly go wrong?

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Isn't the major point of divorce to disentangle your finances? If they're still dependent on each other, why did they pay for a divorce?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Yeah no kidding, how bad are cancelation fees for leases?

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

BraveUlysses posted:

Yeah no kidding, how bad are cancelation fees for leases?

You can't cancel a car lease. You either finish out the terms (or pay the full amount) or you get someone else to assume the lease. Those are your options.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web
Bad with money: panhandling for Cold Stone ice cream.

We went to Cold Stone Creamery to use up a gift card. The guy next to us in line asked my husband for $2 because "he was a little short." My husband said no way, this is crazy expensive ice cream, there's a Rite Aid down the street if you want cheap ice cream. When the server comes back, the guy proceeds to order some fancy ice cream with an extra scoop, then asks my husband AGAIN for money when he gets up to the register and is counting out coins like "oh no, I don't have enough". What in the hell? When we refuse to pay for his super brownie sundae waffle thing, he leaves the counter and goes out to the street to beg passersby for money. He was still out there asking after we had finished our ice cream and left.

Like, dude, you can get a half gallon of delicious Thrifty's ice cream for $3.50 if you just walk to Rite Aid.

Guy Farting
Jul 28, 2003

has vegetable salty
Someone's watched Zootopia recently.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

moana posted:

We went to Cold Stone Creamery to use up a gift card. The guy next to us in line asked my husband for $2 because "he was a little short." My husband said no way, this is crazy expensive ice cream, there's a Rite Aid down the street if you want cheap ice cream. When the server comes back, the guy proceeds to order some fancy ice cream with an extra scoop, then asks my husband AGAIN for money when he gets up to the register and is counting out coins like "oh no, I don't have enough". What in the hell? When we refuse to pay for his super brownie sundae waffle thing, he leaves the counter and goes out to the street to beg passersby for money. He was still out there asking after we had finished our ice cream and left.

Like, dude, you can get a half gallon of delicious Thrifty's ice cream for $3.50 if you just walk to Rite Aid.

Huh, this sort of happened at a Wendy's to me last week only it was a woman asking if I'd buy her a sandwich.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

Blinkman987 posted:

First potential BWM relationship experience!

The SO is going to buy the parents a house thousands of miles away that they'll then pay rent on. Or, at least I assume it's rent since they pitched it as an investment, but maybe they'll have equity. It just came up yesterday, so this is all relatively new.

Could be worse. The house is in a city with a growing tech industry but is still somewhat affordable. I immediately mentioned buying it in a decent, desirable area and the SO mentioned the right neighborhood where that would be possible. Dad is reliably employed and has a good job, but he really can't afford a house near where the sister and baby live. Mom will be helping the sister and new baby and 4-year-old. Sister's husband is very handy with repairs and is a stand-up dude, so he's in for the property maintenance and handiwork. SO works for [gigantic tech company] in a senior position and rebuffs other gigantic tech companies that try to recruit the SO every few months. Literally turns down offers from Google. So, the money isn't a huge pinch and if the SO lost a job, there would be another job within a week. It probably pushes out our potential to purchase a house by a year or two, but whatever. That's not necessarily a bad thing.

As far as things that seem like a disaster at face value, this might instead be a minor inconvenience with small upside.

Still seems like a bad idea, even with all the caveats.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

H110Hawk posted:

However you the consumer, in a sane state, can import liquor from a place allowed to sell it no problem. Thankfully the United Kingdom is awfully lax about this. If you ever see a 700mL bottle with a weird black circular sticker of startlingly high quality on it it is likely the refund sticker for the UK VAT stamp which is under that black sticker then it's an EU market bottle which has been imported. 750mL is US domestic market, because it's a fifth of a gallon. Take that EU, we get a free 50mL!

Also you get stronger whisky. Cheap stuff here is 37.5%, good stuff 40%, generally, and the bottom shelf stuff costs the equivalent of about $18 (would have been $16 before we welped our currency with Brexit).

Super Dan
Jan 26, 2006

moana posted:

Actually, it sounds like that guy is pretty good with money. He found a way to get cheaper Cold Stone ice cream, because someone will probably give him the money eventually.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
My Great Aunt died recently and I had never even really met her. My Aunt and Uncle got about $130,000 in inheritance.

They told me this weekend that they are spending half of it on new cars, remodeling their kitchen, and a vacation for the family and investing the other half in some kind of precious metals brokerage that their financial advisor friend recommended to them. Apparently this company is really great, because you own the physical gold and silver and not just a certificate.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

My Great Aunt died recently and I had never even really met her. My Aunt and Uncle got about $130,000 in inheritance.

They told me this weekend that they are spending half of it on new cars, remodeling their kitchen, and a vacation for the family and investing the other half in some kind of precious metals brokerage that their financial advisor friend recommended to them. Apparently this company is really great, because you own the physical gold and silver and not just a certificate.

If it's just fun money for them I see no problem with this. Not what I'd do with the investment, but at least it's being invested in general and not being spent on lotto tickets or high end flip flops or something.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
Financial advisor "friend"

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

You don't happen to know what fund it is they were talking about do you? I'm super interested in it since they "own the physical gold." My brain just can't piece it together. Like do they receive precious metal dust in envelopes or something? Is it a stake in a mining company that pays dividends in metals? Besides it being just some dude selling stones out of a storage unit I don't know how this would be set up. Maybe the physical gold is being held in custodianship at a bank like a security typically would be, but how the hell would that relate to them "owning the physical" gold? Like can they just cash out and instead of getting cash get ounces of gold? Is it just a regular old precious metal mutual fund and they're misunderstanding how the securities are being held?

I may be thinking about this too much.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

My dad broke his back at work several years ago, and once all the legal drama was done, he had about $100k in settlement money. He was looking around for some way to invest most of it (GWM!), and apparently a guy at his bank was trying to sell him on some investment with a guaranteed return of at least 9%. Luckily I talked him out of throwing all his money away. I mean, sure, you can luck up and get a return like that, but the minute some jackass utters the world "guaranteed" you need to run screaming the other way.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Ornamented Death posted:

My dad broke his back at work several years ago, and once all the legal drama was done, he had about $100k in settlement money. He was looking around for some way to invest most of it (GWM!), and apparently a guy at his bank was trying to sell him on some investment with a guaranteed return of at least 9%. Luckily I talked him out of throwing all his money away. I mean, sure, you can luck up and get a return like that, but the minute some jackass utters the world "guaranteed" you need to run screaming the other way.

Technically an annuity is guaranteed. It's not a great investment because of all the fees, which would explain why the banker was so excited about it.

People who had annuities in 2008 were doing pretty good while everyone else's investments tumbled. I'm sure those returns turned to poo poo when compared to even mediocre index funds after the market recovered though. Still, if you're risk adverse to a fault, an annuity is for you.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Solice Kirsk posted:

If it's just fun money for them I see no problem with this. Not what I'd do with the investment, but at least it's being invested in general and not being spent on lotto tickets or high end flip flops or something.

Yeah, my Aunt isn't quitting her job over it (she is a teacher's aide for special needs kids and my Uncle was a pipefitter, but has been on worker's comp or disability for the past 4 or 5 years, so this is definitely the most money they've ever had), but I am worried that they will end up overspending or getting scammed.

They still have a mortgage that they are not paying off with this money, my cousin went to college for 2 years but got arrested for working on a pot farm in Vermont, dropped out, and lives at home now. I have no idea if his loans are paid off or what they are doing about that.

Solice Kirsk posted:

You don't happen to know what fund it is they were talking about do you? I'm super interested in it since they "own the physical gold." My brain just can't piece it together. Like do they receive precious metal dust in envelopes or something? Is it a stake in a mining company that pays dividends in metals? Besides it being just some dude selling stones out of a storage unit I don't know how this would be set up. Maybe the physical gold is being held in custodianship at a bank like a security typically would be, but how the hell would that relate to them "owning the physical" gold? Like can they just cash out and instead of getting cash get ounces of gold? Is it just a regular old precious metal mutual fund and they're misunderstanding how the securities are being held?

I have no clue. I'll try to get it out of them the next time we talk. All I know is that they were very excited about all this money and their friend is handling all the gold investments. They have no retirement savings, because my uncle has some kind of pension from the pipefitters union and they withdrew the small amount they had in an IRA after the market crashed in 2009.

They want to retire fulltime soon, so their friend said they needed a "safe" investment and gold always goes up. They were vey insistent that this was some kind of special deal because they owned the physical gold and the value of gold always rises because there is a limited amount and this was different than just owning a certificate.

I've been helping them with lots of things in the past few years. Ever since my Uncle got on disability for his back he has been taking tons of pain meds and been on the internet all day. He is always talking about get rich schemes, investing in gold, and weird conspiracy theories about how the government has a weather control machine called HAARP. I usually talk them out of it, but they already committed to letting their friend take 75k and get them some gold.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Solice Kirsk posted:

I believe it typically means that you can redeem your shares for physical gold at any point, rather than "owning certificates" - and it's used as an excuse to upcharge goldbugs for all it's worth. They wouldn't have anything other than pieces of paper, but if "the worst happened" they could trade those pieces of paper directly for gold, rather than owning a share of something that has a price based on the market price of gold that they'd only be able to trade in for its monetary value in boring old cash money dollars.

Trying not to be disdainful as I type this is really hard. I know the typical target market and I really dislike the people who prey on their fears.

e: yep, seeing "HAARP" in the above post makes me 100% certain they're the exact target market for the crazy goldbug stuff.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Yeah, my Aunt isn't quitting her job over it (she is a teacher's aide for special needs kids and my Uncle was a pipefitter, but has been on worker's comp or disability for the past 4 or 5 years, so this is definitely the most money they've ever had), but I am worried that they will end up overspending or getting scammed.

They still have a mortgage that they are not paying off with this money, my cousin went to college for 2 years but got arrested for working on a pot farm in Vermont, dropped out, and lives at home now. I have no idea if his loans are paid off or what they are doing about that.

I have no clue. I'll try to get it out of them the next time we talk. All I know is that they were very excited about all this money and their friend is handling all the gold investments. They have no retirement savings, because my uncle has some kind of pension from the pipefitters union and they withdrew the small amount they had in an IRA after the market crashed in 2009.

They want to retire fulltime soon, so their friend said they needed a "safe" investment and gold always goes up. They were vey insistent that this was some kind of special deal because they owned the physical gold and the value of gold always rises because there is a limited amount and this was different than just owning a certificate.

I've been helping them with lots of things in the past few years. Ever since my Uncle got on disability for his back he has been taking tons of pain meds and been on the internet all day. He is always talking about get rich schemes, investing in gold, and weird conspiracy theories about how the government has a weather control machine called HAARP. I usually talk them out of it, but they already committed to letting their friend take 75k and get them some gold.

You should send them this link and tell them to look at the 30 year and tell you that gold "always goes up" http://goldprice.org/gold-price-chart.html

Obsolete
Jun 1, 2000

I once overheard one coworker tell another, who was asking for advice on buying gold, to only buy from places that mine their own.

I have no idea why that would make any difference one way or the other (might be cheaper to buy? Better "security" for your "investment"?) but I wasn't going to ask either.

This was years ago and at the time I basically did this, but about gold:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.
Buy gold if you are interested in it and have some extra money to throw it around. Don't buy gold if that's your secret investing weapon and/or you expect the world to collapse.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

DACK FAYDEN posted:

I believe it typically means that you can redeem your shares for physical gold at any point, rather than "owning certificates" - and it's used as an excuse to upcharge goldbugs for all it's worth. They wouldn't have anything other than pieces of paper, but if "the worst happened" they could trade those pieces of paper directly for gold, rather than owning a share of something that has a price based on the market price of gold that they'd only be able to trade in for its monetary value in boring old cash money dollars.

Trying not to be disdainful as I type this is really hard. I know the typical target market and I really dislike the people who prey on their fears.

e: yep, seeing "HAARP" in the above post makes me 100% certain they're the exact target market for the crazy goldbug stuff.

OK. Ugh, that sounds terrible. Man, sometimes I wish I didn't have any ethics because there is a killing to be made with poo poo like that and "high potential" yield indexed annuities with like 30% 20 year surrender schedules being sold to retirees. poo poo like this is what finally pushed me to stop being an FA. I couldn't stand seeing clients I cared about and knew for years getting hosed by some fly by night salesman (or worse a relative or family friend) and then have them hide it from me so there is nothing I could do to help them fix the situation because "Jimmy said you'd be mad if we told you since you missed out on the commissions."

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
If everyone was GWM the economy would literally falter and stall out.

DNK
Sep 18, 2004

Not quite.

There are GWM risks to be taken and economic activity is almost always more than the sum of its parts.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
Found this fella on reddit:

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/4tgws9/family_of_3_living_paycheck_to_paycheck_what_can/

quote:

I am a 24 year old male living in the northwest suburbs of Chicago in Buffalo Grove, IL in a 2 bed/2 bath apartment. I have graduated high school, and have not completed college. I am currently in my career for the 6th year, I am a dispatcher/forklift operator/accountant/safety/claims consultant/semi driver. I do pretty much everything at the transportation company I work at. I have a unemployed fiance, who is staying home to take care of our 2 year old daughter. We have tried to find her a job, however, her working for 9$ an hour does not justify the high daycare costs in the area. If we are to basically break even between the cost of daycare and her wage then I'd rather have my child be raised by her mother and do all the work. If that makes any sense?
At the moment I make $1200 per week + bonuses not to exceed $300 in a weekly period. So my maximum paycheck is $1500 for the week. I get paid on a 1099, so I have to pay taxes at the end of the year. I work 65-80 hours Monday-Friday and have weekends off. I know my pay is not small, however, I have always been bad at saving money and now it is getting out of control. I have no credit (waiting for bankruptcy discharge) and no debt.
Here are my average expenses (as best to my knowledge):
Rent: $1200
Utilities: $150.00 (Monthly avg based on year, electricity only)
Comcast: $140.00
Pets: $100 (Including food, waste bags, litter, etc.)
Car payment: $500.00
Car Insurance: $100.00
Gas Stations: $500.00 (Including gas, cigs, food, red bull, etc)
Cell Phone: $200.00 (I need unlimited everything due to job)
Groceries:$1300 (including baby needs, tp, paper towel, food, etc)
Bank Account Fee: $14
Monthly Sub:$60 (I get cologne, perfume, etc on monthly subs)
Misc Exp Avg:$200 (including car maint. and home maint, etc)
Random Expenses:
Bankruptcy Attorney: $200 (per month, 3 months left)
Dentist: $300 (per month and 8 months left)
I currently do not have insurance due to my financial situation. I want your help to help me figure out a way to budget my finances so things can get a little easier. I have probably left some things out that I have forgot about. My situation financially is incredibly frustrating. I need some help, I suck at budgeting.

Talk about living beyond your means.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

$500 a month at gas stations? And thats on top of $1300 a month in groceries. And he already filed for one bankruptcy. Talk about not learning a loving lesson.

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

Solice Kirsk posted:

$500 a month at gas stations? And thats on top of $1300 a month in groceries. And he already filed for one bankruptcy. Talk about not learning a loving lesson.

He later clarifies in a comment that only $200 is spent on gas.

He's spending $300/mo on cigarettes, Red Bull, and Cheetos or god knows what else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Oh, well that makes sense. I'd say the only things that he could cut out and still have any sort of decent life with his meager $72k income would be his cat and child. Was this presented to him? There's no need for him to not keep buying/using one bottle of cologne a month afterall.

• Locked thread