Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

Shifty Pony posted:

The app at heavily uses the Google cloud the backend. Unless Google is seriously dropping the ball on their cloud services raw server power shouldn't be a problem.

Given the sheer volume of users that have landed on it, I'd say it has handled the scaling pretty well. My impression is that a lot of the server problems aren''t. The app connects to the server to verify absolutely everything you do. You can't even give a potion to a pokemon without it carrying out a server transaction. While this might be OK in low-latency situations like whatever Silicon Valley cyber-utopia the developers are based in, the real world has poorer coverage and lovely packet-dropping cellphone networks to contend with.

I reckon the client app is more at fault here, as it seems to send requests to the server and then fall over if it doesn't get a response almost immediately. The most obvious is when it tries to tell the server you've caught a pokemon. If it doesn't receive a timely response, instead of retrying it dies and leaves the game hung on the Pokeball Screen of Death.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Is the ethernal problem of how much trust the client.

at least with having to request the server after every small thing, cheating is limited.

maybe the entire game data need to live in the cloud, even stuff like the pokes names, so if you renames a poke... heres the littel dance tryiing to get the data accepted by the server

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

I just wasted 20 berries and 20 great balls on a 700cp haunter who fled. I'm goddamn crestfallen. That's a big ghost.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time

Zodack posted:

I wonder if Niantic expected the game to be this popular. I expected it to be popular, sure, but this is a bit more than anyone could predict I think.

I don't think anyone expected massive amounts of people who don't know a charmander from an ekans to pick up this game.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Germstore posted:

$0.01/piece isn't it?

Yeah, I was thinking $0.10 per gym, but gyms give 10 coins :downsgun:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

Man I feel sorry for all the rednecks I grew up with back home. They probably have to drive forever just to fine one spot.

If you live somewhere with no libraries, hospitals, historical sites, even a joke of a downtown, schools, or even a Wal-Mart... you probably have worse problems than "I can't find pokemans" :)

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

Man I feel sorry for all the rednecks I grew up with back home. They probably have to drive forever just to fine one spot.

I wish I had one just a little bit closer to my house. A mile isn't so bad but it'd be better if I had a sidewalk.

I installed this game today and took a 3 mile walk on the trails around my house, and not a single Pokemon appeared in my tracker, nor can I see a pokestop or gym in any direction on the map. Burning incense is probably the only way for me to actually find any.

I'll see what it's like at work tomorrow but I'm betting it'll be sparse, same with the golf courses I play. Maybe they'll throw us rural fuckers a bone some day.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Enjoy, Canadans!

https://twitter.com/PokemonGoApp/status/754756895584509952

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
I hope they fix the nearby system soon. I missed out on an Onix and a Scyther because I couldn't tell which way to go.

On the plus side, I did luck into a Starmie.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
So whats the deal with curve balls? Like you just spin up the pokeball before throwing it and then it goes farther?

Touchdown Boy
Apr 1, 2007

I saw my friend there out on the field today, I asked him where he's going, he said "All the way."

Two minutes before this the servers came back up for me. Now they are gone again.

May be coincidence but I dunno.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

loving servers.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

The 1000+ people in town already playing will be thrilled to hear they can continue doing what they've been doing all week.

Since the login is through Google I should be safe to delete the app, download from the Canadian AppStore and log back in so I can use my Canadian iTunes credit right? I think I want some more item storage space.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Ogmius815 posted:

loving servers.

Yeah. Squirtle is the harbinger of server crashes. Only 2 times have a I seen a Squirtle, and both times I have no chance to catch him because I lose connection to the server.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
it's great that the servers decide to not allow evolutions or transfers when i pop a lucky egg for the xp rush :argh:

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Ogmius815 posted:

loving Canadians.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Ogmius815 posted:

loving servers.

I really don't think servers are the problem. I used to work for a big cel phone company and without devolving into technobabble the real problem would be the towers being overloaded; it's like what happens when you have a big football game in your town. Suddenly everyone's phone is a useless plastic brick.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Snak posted:

Yeah. Squirtle is the harbinger of server crashes. Only 2 times have a I seen a Squirtle, and both times I have no chance to catch him because I lose connection to the server.

Not for nothing, but Squirtle was the very first pokemon I caught.

In my living room.

:)

Pretty sure the Bulbasaur I have was also caught in my apartment.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

loving canooks.

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

Joink posted:

This sure takes some of the guess work out of finding the pokemons around my house :aaaaa:

Wait, is this a thing from the thread that I missed?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

precision posted:

I really don't think servers are the problem. I used to work for a big cel phone company and without devolving into technobabble the real problem would be the towers being overloaded; it's like what happens when you have a big football game in your town. Suddenly everyone's phone is a useless plastic brick.

But my phone is working fine. Pokémon GO isn't...

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

logikv9 posted:

it's great that the servers decide to not allow evolutions or transfers when i pop a lucky egg for the xp rush :argh:

Fried just popped a lucky egg and we set up some lures for him. :rip:

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
the pipes used to carry pokemon go data are clogged with millions of transferred pidgeys and weedles

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Clyde Radcliffe posted:

Wait, is this a thing from the thread that I missed?

Thread didn't link to it directly. It's reddit subforum pokemongodevs. Don't use your main account for any of the apps, or don't use it at all if you enjoy the challenge and joy of the good ol' fashioned way.

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

logikv9 posted:

the pipes used to carry pokemon go data are clogged with millions of transferred pidgeys and weedles

It's a series of pokétubes

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

logikv9 posted:

I was lucky enough to get 25 minutes out of one earlier, over half way through level 17! :hoop:

Edit: It's not a truck, it's not something you just put something on.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Its probably Digimon, in their native environment, waging war on the Pokémon invaders.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Clyde Radcliffe posted:

My game now refuses to connect once I'm on 4G. I don't think I can blame the game for this one. A quick search on Twitter reveals a shedload of other people complaining about pokemon data being blocked on O2's network in the UK. All other data is working fine and I'm nowhere close to hitting my limit.

A combination of getting tired of GiffGaffs constant price increases, worse service, and lack of support plus Three's recent 50% off for 6 months has got me switching.

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I.. i.. I sent an email Friday to the devs and and and it didn't arrive till late Monday. It's a series of tubes.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

insert comment re: servers

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
Canadians have ruined the servers. Time to invade.

avoid doorways
Jun 6, 2010

'twas brillig
Gun Saliva

Snak posted:

Its probably Digimon, in their native environment, waging war on the Pokémon invaders.

Nintendo begged Porygon to help but it's still mad its episode got pulled.

Two Feet From Bread
Apr 20, 2009

I'm. A. Fucking. Nazi.

please punch me in the face
i love it
give it to me daddy
College Slice
Wtf, when the US wakes up I can't connect in Bahrain. This country is swimming in pokemon because no one can capture them.

InFlames235
Jan 13, 2004

LIKE THE WAVES IN THE OCEAN I WILL DIG IN YOUR FAT AND SEARCH FOR YOUR CLITORIS, BUT I WON'T SLAM WHALE
Right when I try to travel a long distance one day for Pokemon they release it to Canada and sufficiently gently caress me in the rear end

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.
Damnit I didn't go downtown for sushi and beer to not also drop a bunch of lures all over. I haven't been able to log on for about 2 hours, now.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Clyde Radcliffe posted:

My game now refuses to connect once I'm on 4G. I don't think I can blame the game for this one. A quick search on Twitter reveals a shedload of other people complaining about pokemon data being blocked on O2's network in the UK. All other data is working fine and I'm nowhere close to hitting my limit.

Arkanomen posted:

I love when I kick the app on with my wifi up and something uncommon/rare peeks up on my radar, only to disappear the moment I step out of wifi and go to cellular. Thank god I don't lose those pidgeys though.

Just echoing these two. On T-Mobile UK here, game works perfect on my local net but it's been offline for 3+ hours on 3g. When it did work, leaving the local wifi caused anything interesting to instantly despawn. Come back, mystery Rapidash. :(

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Benthalus posted:

I see another FFRK regular has found something to do while stamina is recharging.

You're going to hate me. I have a Drowzee spawn in my apartment building, and two stops that someone has been luring for days. I have caught over 100 Drowzee.

Do you know how many Pokemon I can catch in the time it takes to refill 78 stamina. A lot.

Hra Mormo posted:

My yard is absolutely infested with Drowzees, I think I've caught like 20 in the past day.

I'm doing this game wrong.

Insert "pot farm in backyard" comment here.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
So the servers have just completely poo poo the bed for everyone else in Illinois/US right now, too? Last place I was at, everyone I asked reported similarly, can't even connect.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

BrianBoitano posted:

or don't use it at all if you enjoy the challenge and joy of the good ol' fashioned way.

That's fair, but the 3-paw glitch means you can't do things the ol' fashioned way unless you just want to aimlessly wander (which is dumb).

Once they fix the nearby, then I'll stop using it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

MisterBibs posted:

So the servers have just completely poo poo the bed for everyone else in Illinois/US right now, too? Last place I was at, everyone I asked reported similarly, can't even connect.

Seems pretty universal right now. I'm getting a "our servers are humbled" message.

• Locked thread