Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

MisterBibs posted:

I don't know if this is commonly known or not, but it seems that the battery-saving feature is not a force-active feature. I'm finding my phone still turns due to inactivity, which is kinda BS for any significant egg-cracking distance.
I'm having this issue as well, does anyone know of a workaround? The GPS and loading is so terrible that my avatar constantly cycles between three nearby locations while I'm at my desk but I figure I could make the best of it by using it to hatch eggs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

Oh hey, I can dload GO!

Too bad I can't actually play it.

I guess this is the experience that everybody else has been having so far, right?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Put this poo poo in the OP. It doesn't just rely on technical ping up/down like most sites, it also relies on user reports and tends to be more accurate.

http://downdetector.com/status/pokemon-go

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
Thanks canada

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Once again Canada proves that they are worthless poo poo country filled with wannabe Americans.

Obligatory Toast
Mar 19, 2007

What am I reading here??
Yeah, it seems like it's down for everyone. This sucks, I was planning on going out tonight with friends.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Obligatory Toast posted:

Yeah, it seems like it's down for everyone. This sucks, I was planning on going out tonight with friends.

You can still chill with friends, y'know

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

widespread posted:

Go... outside? Without my Pokemon app to hide behind? Are you mad???

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004

widespread posted:

Ew

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

here is your daily "went to (place), getting (error) again, this is why i am still (noob level)" post. thanks for reading and stay safe

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

BrianBoitano posted:

Thread didn't link to it directly. It's reddit subforum pokemongodevs. Don't use your main account for any of the apps, or don't use it at all if you enjoy the challenge and joy of the good ol' fashioned way.

Hah, turns out I already had it open in another tab but had skimmed it and moved on to other things. I was only interested in it from a technical perspective since I've had zero success in actually tracking down pokemon even before they broke the footsteps tracking. I just like exploring new places using the pokestops to find cool landmarks and hopefully catching random monsters at the same time.

edit: How many times do the servers have to die due to "unanticipated" demand before someone gets the job of anticipating the demand?

Clyde Radcliffe fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Jul 17, 2016

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Haven't been able to login all day. Pretty drat cool, if you ask me.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

BGrifter posted:

Go... outside? Without my Pokemon app to hide behind? Are you mad???

Okay fine, just borrow your friends' phones.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Servers are down because Canadia now has legit access to the game, so those who didn't headstart are now crowding in. :canada:

Clyde Radcliffe posted:

I just noticed the game is 1.0.2 on the App Store and 0.29.2 on Google Play. I wonder if that's to get around Apple's policy of not approving beta (or alpha in this case) releases.?

According to Bulbapedia, the Appstore version is 1.0.2, but the in game version is 0.29.2, so I'd say that's exactly what it is.

BGrifter posted:

The 1000+ people in town already playing will be thrilled to hear they can continue doing what they've been doing all week.

Since the login is through Google I should be safe to delete the app, download from the Canadian AppStore and log back in so I can use my Canadian iTunes credit right? I think I want some more item storage space.

I'm not sure how it works on iOS, but on Android, I just told the Play Store to install the game on my phone, and the store now shows it as Installed.

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 2000
Canada? They're supposed to be our allies!

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Huh, wouldn't be surprised if, locally, part of the reason is that there's a big meetup happening in Chicago, and seemingly nobody played Ingress enough to realize that you never, ever, ever go to a Niantic game event if you want your phone to do anything.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
I did that Name Reset thing

I got an email back that said "Reply to this message with 'Change my name' and you will receive instructions to do so"

I got an email back saying "This email address does not accept incoming messages"

Great work guys

Note Block
May 14, 2007

nothing could fit so perfectly inside

Fun Shoe

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

I did that Name Reset thing

I got an email back that said "Reply to this message with 'Change my name' and you will receive instructions to do so"

I got an email back saying "This email address does not accept incoming messages"

Great work guys

Exact same thing happened to me.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I've been logged in for the past few hours :shrug:

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

precision posted:

I've been logged in for the past few hours :shrug:

Sure, but you've also been disconnected. This game won't kick you back to the log in screen when the servers die.

Chewbot
Dec 2, 2005

My Revenge Meat!
Y'all are doing it wrong trying to play at noon in the summer. I went down to Charmander park in Austin at 1 am and there was a good couple hundred people there, and a nice breeze, and the servers were working well.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Kheldarn posted:

Sure, but you've also been disconnected. This game won't kick you back to the log in screen when the servers die.

Oh, that explains why it's been nothing but Pidgeys all day.

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

precision posted:

That's my life even when the servers are working.

Ransack
Aug 9, 2006
My screen goes to sleep after thirty minutes and it doesn't have a longer setting. I think I saw someone recommend an app a couple dozen pages back that would keep it open. Anyone remember what it was?

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

precision posted:

Hold onto them all if you have a bunch of candies already, go to a busy part of town with two+ lures (or use your own) and pop a lucky egg. Evolve all of the things.

I went from 14 to 17 last night doing this.

Budgie
Mar 9, 2007
Yeah, like the bird.

Ransack posted:

My screen goes to sleep after thirty minutes and it doesn't have a longer setting. I think I saw someone recommend an app a couple dozen pages back that would keep it open. Anyone remember what it was?

If youre not getting even one pokemon per 30 mins you might as well not have the app open imo.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

They just released a statement on the server stability issues and long term plans.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

ComradeCosmobot posted:

Impossible, because the anime started in 1997, but Red and Green came out more than a year earlier. The only influence the anime had on the game was in making Pokémon Yellow a thing.

Togepi and Ho-oh both appear in the anime first and later appeared in the games. But the idea is that the anime was conceived while the games were in development, hence, last minute change.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Hmm... I'm going to take a "wait and see" approach with this...

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

That's sounds promising. I was gonna give up on this game for a while as the server issues have been letting me down. It's really annoying when you're happily running around and then the servers desert you.

Clyde Radcliffe fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Jul 17, 2016

Note Block
May 14, 2007

nothing could fit so perfectly inside

Fun Shoe

Too little, too late IMHO

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

God damnit.

That video should be edited to synch with the song much better. Wasted potential. Worthless 5/7.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Spellman posted:

Togepi and Ho-oh both appear in the anime first and later appeared in the games. But the idea is that the anime was conceived while the games were in development, hence, last minute change.

Doesn't it also seem that Kangashkhan should probably be a fully evolved Marowak?

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Spellman posted:

It seems really improbable that the anime would manage to affect Red/Green that late in development despite Ash not getting a Butterfree until quite a few episodes into things. Also, Togepi didn't pop up in the anime until quite a while after Gold & Silver were in development.

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tz2WgkJe3Hs&t=366s

skull wall
Jul 29, 2012

Do lucky eggs run off of real time or in-game time? Sorry if this has been asked before, but I used one like 2 minutes before everything poo poo the bed.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
My entirely uninformed opinion is that they're not equipped for the number of simultaneous database operations on whatever is managing authentication (all the "failed to log in" messages) and what Pokemon you have (the ball freezes). But that can't really be fixed just with more resources that easily. If this was something that could be addressed with money they have the backers to have made that happen.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

skull wall posted:

Do lucky eggs run off of real time or in-game time? Sorry if this has been asked before, but I used one like 2 minutes before everything poo poo the bed.

Realtime, which means your egg is hosed, sorry.

Ransack
Aug 9, 2006

Budgie posted:

If youre not getting even one pokemon per 30 mins you might as well not have the app open imo.

I get a slight GPS wiggle when stationary. It helps hatch my eggs while I'm charging or at work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Don't use lucky eggs or incense or lures during known server instability, come on people why do you keep doing this

• Locked thread