Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who's gonna win SFV
This poll is closed.
Infiltration 31 26.96%
Xian 1 0.87%
Tokido 12 10.43%
Harry "Virtua Fighter" Potter 5 4.35%
Diego 6 5.22%
JWong 6 5.22%
Sonicfox 10 8.70%
Lepper Marn 10 8.70%
When's Pokken 34 29.57%
Total: 115 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

RIDO DA LIGHTNIN

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

punk rebel ecks posted:

Anybody else getting these annoying as "Be the Guy" commercials?

No, we're just getting annoyed at your constant ignorant posting. It's alright not to know things. It's pretty bad however when you don't know things but try to come off as some kind of expert at it. Stop it, please.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Countblanc posted:

if you dont like the cover characters in games you can get bent imho

bedman is a cover character

Tyree
Sep 11, 2003

STRETCH

STRETCH

STRETCH
I watched some of this last year and some so far this year, its pretty entertaining. One thing I don't get is why everyone says smash will go long. I didn't watch much of it last year and none this year so I don't know why it takes so long.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Hellpockets looks like he should be rigging pee-wee football games in South Beach instead of being in a shirt and tie.

e - lmao at the error screen

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

Bi-Han now we've got Bad Blood

Ruggington posted:

bedman is a cover character

aka the best character in the game.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

punk rebel ecks posted:

Anybody else getting these annoying as "Be the Guy" commercials?

You can have both great smooth and varied animation and great function. Like Vampire Savior and Skullgirls.

skullgirls animation is obscenely hard to read which is why its bad for gameplay purposes

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Saoshyant posted:

No, we're just getting annoyed at your constant ignorant posting. It's alright not to know things. It's pretty bad however when you don't know things but try to come off as some kind of expert at it. Stop it, please.

I can tell what is and what is not smooth animation. Thanks. I'm sorry I criticized your favorite game. :(

anime was right posted:

skullgirls animation is obscenely hard to read which is why its bad for gameplay purposes

I disagree.

punk rebel ecks fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Jul 17, 2016

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Tyree posted:

I watched some of this last year and some so far this year, its pretty entertaining. One thing I don't get is why everyone says smash will go long. I didn't watch much of it last year and none this year so I don't know why it takes so long.

they play like 8 minute rounds and smash with no items is a slog for each kill

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

anime was right posted:

what are you even talking about you idiot. gg has great animation that focuses on function before confusion.

I think GG has worse animation that a lot of its contemporaries, including janky Marvel 2 and Melty Blood. :shrug:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

punk rebel ecks posted:

gently caress Team America! I'm rooting for Rion! Marlinpie is my second favored!

Lots of skipped frames and altered animations. It's not the worst, but not the best. It is good at using "pop up" animations though.

Oh okay you mean like the animation itself? The spritework is pretty high quality, but I can see producing tons of sprites being super expensive since like, skullgirls character sprite sheets cost what, a quarter mil to produce?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
"Are you excited for guilty gear?!"

*Silence*

"That's what I like to hear."

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

ogawa vs marlin

well, here it goes

ToiletDuckie
Feb 18, 2006
Ogawa just walked up on stage lookin' like that one servant dog from All Dogs Go To Heaven.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
go kyohei

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

"Are you guys ready for more Guilty Gear?!!!?!?!?"

:nothing is heard from the crowd:

"That's what I like to hear!"

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

Ogawa with the backup stick

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

ogawa is adorable

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

C. Everett Koop posted:

"Are you guys ready for more Guilty Gear?!!!?!?!?"

:nothing is heard from the crowd:

"That's what I like to hear!"

audio guys are being garbo

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Real hurthling! posted:

they play like 8 minute rounds and smash with no items is a slog for each kill

Out of all the legit complaints about melee, not dying fast enough is the weirdest complaint when everything is basically 1 touch death.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

That's not the Chie stick, Ogawa. How're you going to win this??

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Captain Invictus posted:

Oh okay you mean like the animation itself? The spritework is pretty high quality, but I can see producing tons of sprites being super expensive since like, skullgirls character sprite sheets cost what, a quarter mil to produce?

Yes the animation itself.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Tae posted:

Out of all the legit complaints about melee, not dying fast enough is the weirdest complaint when everything is basically 1 touch death.

what, poo poo in Melee ain't OHKO at all, and when it is it's situational

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
Yeah they don't have crowd mic's on when they have Steve's mic on, this is baaaaad for the hype man. Then he stops talking and we start hearing USA USA USA.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Ruggington posted:

ogawa is adorable

So is Marlinpie :swoon:

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Dias posted:

audio guys are being garbo

I think I heard bits of the audience doing what sounded like cheering for half a second there. So they're sorta getting better.

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot

Hard to not cheer fo RION after that.

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

I think the only weirder mirror has to be the jack-o mirror.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

gg uses a lower number of "frames" than many games for the sake of readability. the animation is technically good, it just happens that the games put function over form.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

NecroMonster posted:

gg uses a lower number of "frames" than many games for the sake of readability. the animation is technically good, it just happens that the games put function over form.

But why do I read thigns better in "messy" games like SG anyway?

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Topanga's stream has the crowd with volume, but it's Japanese commentary. That may make it more authentic, YMMV.

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

Saoshyant posted:

Topanga's stream has the crowd with volume, but it's Japanese commentary. That may make it more authentic, YMMV.

more authentic is a 240 nico nico stream.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

NecroMonster posted:

I realize that is what they are going for and even said that in my original post. People just quoted me and hinted that it was impossible to have good animation and readability. And I was an "idiot" for not realizing this.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I have a feeling Marlinpie will not do well against ogawa

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
RIP USA

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011